Malazan Empire: George Martin addresses his detractors - Malazan Empire

• 16 Pages +
  • « First

George Martin addresses his detractors I think he might mean some of us Rate Topic: -----

#301 User is offline   Greymane 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:55 AM

Bloodraven is the Hand of the King in the 2nd Dunk and Egg story. He's one of Aegon IV's bastards, and he's an albino.
I have no excuses, least of all for God. Like all tyrants, he is not worthy of the spit you would waste on negotiations. The deal we have is infinitely simpler – I don't call him to account, and he extends me the same courtesy.

#302 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:22 PM

View PostGreymane, on Aug 16 2009, 11:55 AM, said:

Bloodraven is the Hand of the King in the 2nd Dunk and Egg story. He's one of Aegon IV's bastards, and he's an albino.

Slightly longer version:

Brynden Rivers was the son of King Aegon IV Targaryen by his sixth mistress, Mysella 'Missy' Blackwood, born in 175 AL. Mysella's elevation at court came at the expense of Aegon's prior mistress, Barba Bracken, and her bastard son Aegor Rivers. As a result of this and their Houses' natural enmity, Aegor and Brynden grew up as fierce rivals. Brynden was an albino with a raven-shaped, blood-coloured scar covering part of his face, hence his nickname of 'Bloodraven'. Along with all of the noble-born bastards of the King, Bloodraven was legitimised on his father's deathbed and given Dark Sister, one of the two Targaryen Valyrian swords.

His rivalry with Aegor and, by extension, their mutual elder half-brother Daemon Blackfyre (who was close friends and allies with Aegor), made him a natural ally of Aegon IV's natural-born son and heir, Daeron II. When Daemon Blackfyre became convinced that Daeron was the illegitimate bastard of Aegon's sister-wife Naerys by their brother, Aemon the Dragonknight, he claimed the Iron Throne as the eldest natural-born son of Aegon IV in 195 AL. Aegor, by now a great knight nicknamed 'Bittersteel', joined in Daemon's rebellion, whilst Bloodraven swore fealty to King Daeron. Unlike the justice-obsessed Daeron and his 'honourable' warrior sons, Baelor and Maekar, Bloodraven was cold-blooded and ruthless. At the Battle of the Redgrass Field he refused to face Daemon in single combat, instead brutally shooting him and then his twin sons down with arrows from afar. Bittersteel cut out one of Bloodraven's eyes in a fury before being forced to flee due to the arrival of reinforcements. The rebellion was crushed and Bloodraven's loyalty proven.

Bittersteel fled to the Free Cities and founded a mercenary company called the Golden Company, which swore an oath to destroy the Targaryens wherever they could find them.

Spoiler

Bloodraven became the Hand of the King to King Aerys I after Daeron's death in the Great Spring Sickness of 209 AL. He was removed from office by King Maekar when he took the crown. When Aegon V took the throne in 233 he sent Bloodraven to the Wall for reasons unknown. There he became one of the more renowned Lord Commanders of the Night's Watch and presumably* died there.

* Although some fans now favour the Bloodraven = Coldhands theory.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#303 User is offline   Urb 

• Emperor
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:15 PM

View PostWerthead, on 14 August 2009 - 06:43 PM, said:

It might be released later on though, like Theon's was.

Isn't that guy dead?

Also, does anyone know where one can buy these prequels? I tried to find them last year, but I could only find the graphic novels, which I don't want. Didn't look very hard though (searched Amazon).
The leader, his audience still,
considered their scholarly will.
He lowered his head
and with anguish he said,
"But how will we teach them to kill?"

-some poet on reddit

#304 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:22 PM

View PostUrb, on 30 October 2009 - 04:15 PM, said:

View PostWerthead, on 14 August 2009 - 06:43 PM, said:

It might be released later on though, like Theon's was.

Isn't that guy dead?

Not exactly.

Spoiler

Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#305 User is offline   Urb 

• Emperor
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:41 PM

Ah, I see. I'll save the chapter for when I read the whole book I think. Don't want to build up anticipation for the next installment :(

This post has been edited by Urb: 30 October 2009 - 04:41 PM

The leader, his audience still,
considered their scholarly will.
He lowered his head
and with anguish he said,
"But how will we teach them to kill?"

-some poet on reddit

#306 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:43 PM

View PostWerthead, on 16 August 2009 - 05:22 PM, said:

...Aegon...King Aegon IV Targaryen ...Aegor Rivers...Daemon Blackfyre ...Daeron II....Aegon's sister-wife Naerys by their brother, Aemon the Dragonknight...Baelor and Maekar,...King Aerys I ...Aegon V ...

MORE character with 'ae' in their name GRMM, MORE please...

- Aebyss, *bookthump*.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#307 User is offline   wolverine 

• Corporal

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:46 PM

The Hedge Knight is in the short stories anthology called Legends edited by Silverberg. Be careful which one you get though because there are a couple volumes and I don't think they all have it.

The Sworn Sword is in Legends II anthology, again edited by Silverberg, and again be careful of the edition.

The third book, The Mystery Knight, I believe will be in Martin's anthology "Warriors" that will be released in 2010.

This post has been edited by wolverine: 30 October 2009 - 05:48 PM

#308 User is offline   Cobbles 

• Captain

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:29 AM

Great, a whole new subforum for fat jokes.

#309 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:14 PM

You necro'ed a year and a half old thread and that's the best you could come up with. ;)
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#310 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:57 PM

Damn, it's hard to believe it's been a year and a half.

#311 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:12 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 21 March 2011 - 12:14 PM, said:

You necro'ed a year and a half old thread and that's the best you could come up with. :rolleyes:

[Insert 'It's more than GRRM has' joke here]
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#312 User is offline   Cobbles 

• Captain

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:30 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 21 March 2011 - 01:12 PM, said:

You necro'ed a year and a half old thread and that's the best you could come up with. :rolleyes:

Thank you.

And I didn't 'necro' it. It was the third or fourth thread on page one.

Apparently, the administrators think, because a new book might come out this year, it's worthwhile to collect all GRRM threads on a separate page, never mind how old or irrelevant.

There's pre-AFFC threads on page two. :facepalm: Read that for a laugh.

#313 User is offline   Spiridon_Deannis 

• Sergeant

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:41 PM

View PostCobbles, on 21 March 2011 - 09:30 PM, said:

View PostIlluyankas, on 21 March 2011 - 01:12 PM, said:

Thank you.

And I didn't 'necro' it. It was the third or fourth thread on page one.

Apparently, the administrators think, because a new book might come out this year, it's worthwhile to collect all GRRM threads on a separate page, never mind how old or irrelevant.

There's pre-AFFC threads on page two. :facepalm: Read that for a laugh.

Damn, this thread is two years old, I see now.
This could have been written yesterday, by its content.

#314 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:38 PM

...Apparently, the administrators think, because a new book might come out this year, it's worthwhile to collect all GRRM threads on a separate page, never mind how old or irrelevant. ...

You're welcome.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#315 User is offline   Cobbles 

• Captain

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:05 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 March 2011 - 10:38 PM, said:

...Apparently, the administrators think, because a new book might come out this year, it's worthwhile to collect all GRRM threads on a separate page, never mind how old or irrelevant. ...

You're welcome.

Ok, I stop now before someone gets hurt.

#316 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:14 PM

View PostCobbles, on 22 March 2011 - 07:05 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 21 March 2011 - 10:38 PM, said:

You're welcome.

Ok, I stop now before someone gets hurt.

Smart idea to look after your health

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users