• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

LOTR the looooooooooooong editions

#81 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 01 March 2023 - 01:26 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 01 March 2023 - 07:07 AM, said:

Jackson's films were lightning in a bottle, we won't see another trilogy that strong for a very long time

This is 100% accurate. Those films cemented themselves into film history pretty cleanly.

Also, I like the HOBBIT trilogy, even realizing that they aren't as good as LOTR by about half...I still get a lot of joy from them.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 01 March 2023 - 01:26 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#82 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 March 2023 - 04:48 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 01 March 2023 - 07:07 AM, said:

I will give the second series of Rings of Power a try when it gets here, but I was pretty unimpressed with it overall so I don't have a lot of hope of any further adaptions.

Jackson's films were lightning in a bottle, we won't see another trilogy that strong for a very long time (as shown rather aptly by how mediocre the Hobbit trilogy was). I might not be the sort of Tolkien fan who was frothing at the mouth all over the internet about Rings of Power, but at the same time I like the source material too much to want to see it messed with carelessly - and I felt Rings of Power, despite some of it's good points, didn't really understand the spirit of the source material and it showed. That's how we got Galadriel the Stroppy Teenager.

It's uncanny how much we agree. I rewatched the first season, and I liked it better. The creators are definitely Tolkien geeks, and they are actually true to the facts of the books -- I unsuccessfully looked for my copy of Return of the King -- but you are spot-on about the spirit of the source material.

There is probably room for the telling of good stories. Hell, Andor is fantastic, pretty much better than anything in the SW universe. I can see a series about the Rangers, focusing on the early days of Aragorn. Or not.

#83 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 01 March 2023 - 05:26 PM

Galadriel being stroppy isn't a problem to me, it's her coming off as a teenager instead of a multi hundred year old being. The most interesting portions of the show were when people were doing big dramatic things because they could due to magic and millennia long life spans, but Galadriel didn't really get to do much beyond the "go to the really cold evil place where everyone mutinied" and "be stuck in places talking to people in a fashion much worse than her centuries of life would suggest".

The Mormon stuff also makes things a bit weird with the special underwear, the Rapture of the elves etc.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#84 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 01 May 2023 - 07:54 PM

Guy on Pub Crawl Dressed as Gandalf Bumps into ‘Real’ Ian McKellen For Best Birthday Surprise Ever

:D

https://www.goodnews...en-on-birthday/
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users