• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

LOTR the looooooooooooong editions

#1 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:24 PM

Has anybody else seen the ridicu-long versions of these movies?

I borrowed them from a friend at work and watched Two Towers on the weekend and HOLY CRAP

LONG MOVIE IS LOOOOOOOOOOONG

But

It did have an absolute load of really good scenes that were deleted from the theatrical version. Mostly character development stuff of course...which is what I always felt was lacking from the original releases. Everybody in the theatrical version could more or less have been replaced by pine boards for all the character development they received.

I mean, not like the characters are that "deep" in LOTR to begin with, but removing what little depth they had to cut down time on a theatrical release runtime was a sin IMO. The long versions, despite being a marathon and a half to watch, are very much worth it and are very much better than their shorter theatrical counterparts. It's like the difference between watching Das Boot american digitally enhanced dubbed version vs. the 4 hour directors cut das boot with subtitles. There's just no comparison. Directors cut wins every time.

Started return of the king last night (which I saw a few times in the shorter version) and its already much improved. Funny how a little 5 minute scene here and there can do that for a movie. Restores the flow intended by the director and just rounds all those rough edges that you see in the theatrical release.

Too bad those big budget films are so subject to the whims of the production studios. I bet the LOTR movies would have had better reception if they'd released at full length with an intermission. Debate that last statement please, but it's certainly my opinion.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:31 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on Feb 3 2009, 07:24 PM, said:

Too bad those big budget films are so subject to the whims of the production studios. I bet the LOTR movies would have had better reception if they'd released at full length with an intermission. Debate that last statement please, but it's certainly my opinion.

Don't know what the reception was in Canada, but in Denmark they couldn't throw enough stars after those films. Despite the fact that Return of the King was such a load of bullshit.

Not that this was the Directors fault, the ending just blew chunks in my opinion. I think I could have loved that film if they'd just chosen to screw the events of the books and include Sauron somewhere in the film. Like letting him appear on the mountain when Frodo destroys the ring or something like that. The Witchking wasn't epic badguy enough for me.

#3 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:37 PM

Yup I have em all, love em all (exception deleted scenes from Fellowship in the Shire are boringish).

Return of the King special edition came with a mini sculpture of Minas Tirith that opens to hold stuff, it is on my desk.

#4 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:38 PM

reception in Canada was a collective canadian ejaculation on the face of Peter Jackson

11/10 for pretty much every critic I heard, though you're right the ending was gay, lame and anticlimatic. If you're going to have an "aww everybody hug" type ending then just make it 10 minutes long. 1 full hour of hugging hobbits at the end was what killed me.

I'm not looking forward to it in the extended version. I think I lost a testicle last time I saw it. It actually shriveled and I haven't seen it since.

For real.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#5 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:46 PM

meh, it isn't like they go from the 7 possible endings in the regular version to 20 or something.

#6 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:25 PM

Meh, I have all the extended editions.
Had they stuck a bit closer to the storyline (bearing in mind Jackson originally scripted the whole thing in two movies and new line were like "fuck it, make 3 and do it right", which he failed to do) the films would have been considerably better. I appreciate, really do, that its never going to be the book, certain arcs have to be cut in the name of watchability (Tom Bomadil would have been excruciating on screen) and time. But some of the changes introduced were just plain retarded. Elves at helms deep? catch yourself on jackson. Douchebag, the elves arrival at helms deep made me want to get up and leave the cinema.
Gah barring Arwens galloping around by herself I tolerated, nay sort of enjoyed the first film, but after that its just 8 hours of fail.
I must away before my temper boils over like a kettle full of urine.

#7 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:39 PM

YOU COULD NEVER HAVE GOTTEN AWAY WITH A BETTER FILM VERSION OF THE BOOK

FUCKING LIVE WITH IT, FOR THE LOVE OF FUCK

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#8 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:42 PM

I'm not too upset about that stuff mac,

though I've never been one to care about movies changing the original story or retconning or what have you. Did you think the extended editions made you hate the movies less or more though? Or did you even bother?

One thing I noticed though is that Gimli doesn't have a serious line in the whole fracking movie. I totally remember him ruling in the book and not being comic relief every time he opened his mouth. That whole bit could have been a bit less stupid. I also noticed the requisite PG-13 "get hit in the nuts" scene where an orc comes over helms deep wall and gimli chops him in the junk. Why do they always have to do that?
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#9 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:42 PM

Yes, you could illy. You could have let George Lucas direct it. And have Keanu Reeves star as Aragon. And you could have had lots of little furry ewoks with lightsabers... wait a minute.

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on Feb 3 2009, 08:42 PM, said:

I also noticed the requisite PG-13 "get hit in the nuts" scene where an orc comes over helms deep wall and gimli chops him in the junk. Why do they always have to do that?

Because it's funny in the "Ha ha, I'm happy that wasn't me" kinda way.

#10 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:49 PM

Illy - did you read my post at all?
I know it wont be as good as the book.
Read what I said again, the changes made were retarded, pointless and detracted from the story. Thats all, they ruined what was (read it again, I liked the first film) a fantastic story with bullshit pandering to little girls who wanted to see more elves. The casting was for the most part great, heck, elijah was surprisingly good and I really don't like him. The cinematography or whatever, fantastic, the sets and locations for the most were awesome (though lets face it, osgiliath was ridiculously close to minas tirth, where, ever have two notable cities been so close together without a river between them?)

#11 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:57 PM

I like the long versions. I only saw the original releases the first time I watched the movies so can't remember what the extras are.

The only really unforgivable change in the plot is the elves helping out at Helm's Deep. It completely detracts from the original message and spirit of the books.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#12 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:06 PM

I didn't actually remember whether the elves helped them or not.

What do you mean by the "message and spirit" of that part of the story?

not disagreeing, asking.

I don't really remember what the original story was getting at during that part.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#13 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:20 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on Feb 3 2009, 03:06 PM, said:

I didn't actually remember whether the elves helped them or not.

What do you mean by the "message and spirit" of that part of the story?

not disagreeing, asking.

I don't really remember what the original story was getting at during that part.

Crap, this is going to make me look like a right geek!

One of the main themes in the books is the passage of power and responsibility from Elves to Men, it is the birth of the Age of Men. The Elves are leaving Middle Earth, it is time for Men to take control of their own destiny. Clearly subtext about Tolkein's experiences in WWI saying that society should take responsibility for it's actions. So, in the books, it is clear that the Elves won't help, Men are on their own apart from short stays for advice and presents from Elrond and then Galadriel. In the more narrow context, it is about Aragorn stepping up to take on the fate that he has been in denial about for so long. Elves coming to the rescue and going on about "the old alliance between Men and Elves" is completely wrong as the Elves have turned their back on the world.

/geek mode
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#14 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:23 PM

Macros, I read your post. It was the same whining I've seen from hundreds of people going on and on about how the films were crap and deviated from the books and BLAH BLAH FUCKING BLAH STOP FUCKING COMPLAINING YOU GOT A TRILOGY OF CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED AND ENTERTAINING FILMS WHICH DIDN'T SUCK COMPLETE ASS

NO IT WASN'T PERFECT, TOUGH SHIT

I HAVE JUST ABOUT REACHED SATURATION POINT FOR FUCKING WHINING ABOUT THE FUCKING FILMS NOT BEING AS GOOD AS YOU FUCKING WANTED!

SPOILERS,THEY WERE NEVER GOING TO BE, SO
STOP
FUCKING
BITCHING

(Illy is in a bad mood due to painful scrotal bruising from careless female friend and may post offensive content without care for other's feelings, because FROM THIS MOMENT ON YOU FUCKING DESERVE IT)
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#15 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:32 PM

The major problem I have with the films is that they didn't emphasise that what was happening was essentially a World War; the book doesn't go into it all that much, but it at least alludes to things happening that the heroes aren't actually present to see.

A lot of the power of the films, to my mind, is that they look like the pictures I had in my head when I was reading the book. I saw all three films on day of release and own all three as extended editions so you might say I'm something of a fan.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#16 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:55 PM

Loved the long versions. These were almost the only films (apart from Fight Club) where the films were better than the books.

Watched all three extended editions over two days at Xmas. It nearly broke me, but it was worth it.
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#17 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:06 PM

Double-post goodness.

In fact, Moll whines about how the ending to Return of the King is something like 30 minutes long, but I say bah! You can't go and make 12 hours of great cinema (and fuck anyone that says a few elves at Helm's Deep can cancel out 12 hours of great cinema) and then go and top it all off with a two minute I'm-fine-how-are-you.

Just... do it justice.
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#18 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:27 PM

The extended versions were really really shit...There was a reason they cut all those bits out...Just get on with it and show me the good parts...

Er Illy...Calm down dear! :p
souls are for wimps

#19 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:29 PM

I'LL CALM DOWN WHEN YOU GET ME AN ICEPACK

#20 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:32 PM

I love Illy's subtlety, which I think people here aren't really understanding. I think he's saying: STFU. Return of the King won Best Picture at the Oscars. STFU. They are way better than the BBC Animated things. STFU. STFU. And, STFU.

I could be misconstruing the more subtle touches though.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 03 February 2009 - 10:32 PM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users