• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

LOTR the looooooooooooong editions

#41 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:19 PM

I love the extended versions. Sure, they're not perfect recreations of the books but that's okay. We'll never see a better stab at 'em.

#42 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:27 PM

Minas Tirith (pronounced /ˈmɪnəs ˈtɪrɪθ/), originally named Minas Anor, is a fictional city in J. R. R. Tolkien's Middle-earth writings. It became the heavily fortified capital of Gondor in the second half of the Third Age. It was originally built to guard the former capital of Gondor, Osgiliath, from attack from the west, but became the capital when Osgiliath fell into ruin following the Kin-Strife and the Great Plague. It is often referred to as the White City and the City of Kings. The Rohirrim sometimes translated this into their own language as "the Mundburg". In the climax of The Lord of the Rings, Tolkien's most famous book, the city comes under a very large and determined attack by the allied forces of Mordor.

You mst remeber that during the war of the ring mordor is likely the only threat to Gondor, but once Angmar was at its west, and if I recall the men of rohan and gondor were not always peacefull. It was definatly a fortress.

For me legolas's most annoying exploit was when his horse rides past him and he reaches out his arm grabs him by his neck and sweeps up onto he horse. It looked so fake and CGI it brought me out of the film instantly

#43 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:22 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on Feb 4 2009, 11:07 PM, said:

Just imagine if you were as much of a Hitchhiker's fan as you are a LOTR fan - you'd be crying tears of BLOOD AND RAGE.

Oh, god, can we please never mention that film again?

However, the biggest raping of source material ever has to be the travesty that was From Hell.
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#44 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:14 AM

View PostAptorian, on Feb 4 2009, 05:35 PM, said:

I'll say it again, screw the actual story, Sauron should have shown up in humanoid form somewhere during the ending. I think what originally sold the first film to us grown-up children was the intro where Sauron is swinging the giant mace and fucking up rows of soldiers. It is still one of the coolest scenes in modern film.

Have you seen the deleted scene that has Aragorn fighting Sauron at the end? They replaced Sauron with the battle Troll instead so they wouldn't piss people off - it looked great though.

View PostSilencer, on Feb 4 2009, 06:24 PM, said:

Quite specifically, Merry stabbed him in the leg, Eowen stabbed him in the face. He did not make dying motions/noises until after he was stabbed in his face. And let's face it, a stab to the leg wouldn't do much to a nazgul, no matter who it was.

In the book, Merry got his sword from a barrow, on the Barrow Downs. It was forged during the wars with the witch-king, and was made/inscribed specifically in order to injure him.

Merry happily carries this with him unknowingly - when he stabs the WK in the knee, he removes the binding spell around him, so when Arwen stabs him in the face, it actually kills him dead. The 'not killed by the hand of man' was more of a prophecy I think.

In the film, they cut out the Barrow Downs, so it didn't really make any sense. The description/purpose of the sword is mentioned briefly after the Hobbits get released from the Barrow.

[/geek]

This post has been edited by Traveller: 05 February 2009 - 08:16 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#45 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:40 AM

You're right about the barrow downs part - however it still does not make sense.

If they could so easily forge swords that removed the binding, then how on earth was he so hard to kill?

Eh...it doesn't matter. It still annoys me. It always will.

Silmarillion > LOTR.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#46 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:43 AM

The Silmarillion is one of the most difficult books I've ever attempted to read. Packing thousands (hundreds of? it's been a while) of years of history into a 250 page book, with thousands of characters made it nearly impossible to understand. I caught the main bits... but still. Hard book is haaaaaaard.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#47 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:30 AM

I blame fingolfin. After they destroy the witch kings power and force him to flee a prince of gondor pursues him. I presme he would also take an army as back up. But no the mighty elf tells them to stop. I think he was just worried about men becoming too cool

#48 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:40 AM

Wasn't that Glorfindel?

>.>

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#49 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:48 AM

I didn't find the Silmarillion difficult - it was kind of depressing though, as the 'doom' ruined all the good stuff. The only problem I found was the lines of men and elves that all had the same same name as their fathers/sons, making it hard to keep track of certain people.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#50 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:32 PM

ok, just finished RotK last night

I actually like the legolas climbs an oliphaunt

And the mount doom scene (minus the copious hugging scenes) is pretty awesome. I thought they did a really good job with it. Very atmospheric

And the part where the dark tower blows up....it's crumbling already and stuff, but then in mid fall the flaming eye explodes and launches the rubble of the tower in all directions. Super cool.

The way the witch king dies is fucking awesome though. Kind of implodes on himself. Rad rad rad. Also the way his dragon dies...all twitchy like Ned Stark.

The one line in that movie I just can't get over is "I am no man" by whatserface Rohan lady that kills the witch king. For fucks sake...you could be a bit more subtle with the unnecessary girl power lines. I don't think "I can't be killed by a man" was meant by Tolkien to exempt women from the witch king's immunity. It's pretty obvious that the spirit of the prophecy means "humans with normal weapons". Not homosapien males in particular. Retarded. It was merry's sword that broke the spell or whatever. I forgot how badly that line sticks in my head. It almost ruins the whole scene for me.

Agree somewhat about the dead army sweeping through minas tirith from a distance. They just spent so much time with cool closeup battle scenes until then and all of a sudden zoom waaaaay out for the conclusion of the fight. Kinda lame but I still liked it. I guess the whole end of the battle just seemed aborted or something...like they ran out of cash and just made a tacky scene to finish it off. Would have been waaaay better with some good closeups of dead guys cutting down trolls amidst the falling rubble of the fortress.

And wholly agree about the lighthouse beacon nature of the all seeing eye. I know it was supposed to be in their heads. It looks stupid in the movie, but I can't really think how they would have done it better.

I guess that sums up most of my complaints. Some stuff turned out lame, but I have no idea how it could have improved. All in all no complaints though. Changed scenes and all, LOTR trilogy is an awesome piece of cinema that will be watched and loved for a very very long time.

Can't remember from the end though, why does Frodo leave with the elves? Was he tainted with the evil power or something?
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#51 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:50 PM

His injury from the morgul blade meant that he never fully recovered in the true sense. The elves granted him a place cos they thought he'd deserved it.

The Dead Army bringing down Oliphaunts was a bit much, considering they didn't even fight in that battle in the book, let alone retake the city.

Great films generally tho.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 05 February 2009 - 01:52 PM

#52 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:38 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on Feb 5 2009, 01:32 PM, said:

Can't remember from the end though, why does Frodo leave with the elves? Was he tainted with the evil power or something?

Because he was a selfish pussy.

#53 User is offline   Dagger 

• Interloper

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:50 PM

I'm with Illy: STFU. As Gardner Dozois wrote "this is the best adaptation of LOTR we will see in our lifetimes". Exactly, so deal with it. The lighting of the beacons alone was one of the greatest moments in film of this decade. And I still choke up when Theoden gasps "I know your face".

RE: I'm no man. This is pretty much the same as it went down in the book. Merry nails the bastard in the knee and then Eowyn whips off her helmet, proclaims her girl power, and with her last bit of strength kills the second-baddest mother in Middle Earth.

RE: Army of the Dead - yeah it blew to have them at Pellanor Fields but it was a gimmick to streamline the story. I would have rather seen Aragorn show up with rangers and others but that fight went on for a day. Jackson needed to end it quickly.

RE: Extended Editions. The only way my wife and I watch the movies and we still watch them quite often. And when it all comes out on Blu-ray, that's when I buy a player and the DVDs.
"I can see my days of not taking you seriously are coming to a middle." - Mal Reynolds

#54 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:14 PM

View PostSilencer, on Feb 5 2009, 11:40 AM, said:

Wasn't that Glorfindel?

>.>

Sorry. I have recently borrowed LOTR battle for middle earth rise of the withc king. Glorfindel is a hero for the elves in it. I have notcied and I did it again. I can never remeber if the fin or glor part comes first and I butcher his name. Okay game, story is a butchery

#55 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:14 PM

I suspect this will drop my Geek Quota by about 7.2, but... wasn't Gandalf an Istari? Are they not different from the Maiar?

#56 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:12 AM

Oh fuck! I really don't need to be going into all of this; especially at this time of night when I should really be sleeping...

But, that said, there's far too much of my mental RAM taken up by pointless LotR trivia to let that last question go unanswered...

The Istari are all Maiar; who have been incarnated into human looking bodies as a way around the Ban that the Valar placed on themselves or their allies coming overtly to the aid of the Eldar who chose to remain in Middle Earth at the end of the War of Wrath.

And I'd really advise reading The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales and probably some of the History of Middle Earth books if that made no sense to you and you want to unpack it properly. The one truly great thing about Tolkien is that even the questions you had no idea you wanted to ask are answered by him somewhere.

And yes, I'm very well aware that I'm a great big geek about this stuff.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#57 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:16 AM

@SM - Geek! ahahahaha!
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#58 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:33 AM

Okay, so I wasn't hiding the fact I'm a geek. Just the matter of how incredibly geeky I truly am...
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#59 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:37 AM

View Poststone monkey, on Feb 6 2009, 02:33 AM, said:

Okay, so I wasn't hiding the fact I'm a geek. Just the matter of how incredibly geeky I truly am...

it moves easily into the realm of semantics when a bunch of people posting on a forum dedicated to a fantasy author discusses their level of geekdom
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#60 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:38 AM

That was going to be my exact comment Morgy.

I think we all have a little geek going on here hehe.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users