• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is this Darujhistan novel? *SPOILERS*

#61 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:04 PM

A treasure hunter unleashing the ancient evil by unwittingly stumbling into a hidden crypt? Really?

#62 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:07 PM

View PostPOOPOO MCBUMFACE, on 28 June 2011 - 06:04 PM, said:

A treasure hunter unleashing the ancient evil by unwittingly stumbling into a hidden crypt? Really?

"powerful and destructive". It doesn't actually say 'evil'. :p

Also, blurbs are often nonsense.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#63 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:02 PM

Yah, I can't imagine they mean anyone other than Humble Measure, who isn't unwitting at all. If it's some random character who bumbles into things, that would just be weird. Possible, but weird.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#64 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:53 AM

Indiana Jones and his "Humble Measure"?

Disavowed Crimson Guard play Nazis, Kallor/Skinner/Humble Measure are top Nazis/rival treasure hunter, Kruppe = Indy's dad and/or dog and Torvuld Nom is the treasure hunter himself!

This post has been edited by blackzoid: 29 June 2011 - 09:54 AM

#65 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:46 PM

I want last page in this version - after Jaghut tyrant...tyrantess?...well, female tyrant is azathized, Raest welcomes her with "Hello darling, what took you so long? Look, we have a cat you always wanted."
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#66 User is offline   Mcflury 

• First Sword
  • Interests:Reading, writing, partying, playing PC-games (mainly MMO's) and many more.

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:23 AM

I do hope Kruppe plays a very direct role in this. But I suppose he will. Allthough I never though Kruppe would end up being an Esslemont character, I thought it was one of those characters SE would keep for himself ;)
"There is no struggle too vast no odds too overwhelming for even should we fail, should we fall, we will know that we have lived" - Anomander Rake
(From Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson)

#67 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:39 AM

I'm pretty sure in that interview they did together (the webchat one?) that ICE mentions he is doing Kruppe, and that it's one of the characters he was most nervous about.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#68 User is offline   MillionSpots 

• Sergeant

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:24 AM

Nice info on the book, thanks for putting that up!

So what's really the title of this book anyway?

And I'm kinda hoping to get to see Spindle opening his warren with the Mules nearby, just because I think it would be fun.

#69 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:56 AM

Exactly. Luckily this treasure hunter will be stopped by a young farmboy, noble in nature but not name, who finds a magic sword that only one pure of heart can wield.

In any case its things like this that make me think they might be winging it. Raest is the biggest baddest Jaghut tyrant and people have spent centuries trying too uncover him. Oh actually theres another EVEN MEANER ONE like 20 minutes away under Darujhistan. Also (not that this should hold because the timeline is unimportant) but doesnt it say in GOTM that Dstan is 2000 years old? Or aar we ignoring that since TTH.

Ever since the Kelyk started falling rom the sky in TTH (which wasnt really explained) and reading SW ive felt that theyre compromising their universe in search of a good story. While the blurbs are always full of shit the fact that its a jaghut tyrant more terrible than any before after all the Raest build up in GOTM is making me lose faith in ICE. For example if this jaghut tyrant is the worst then why didnt the same thin happen with Jaghut and Imass banding together to stop him? And if it did why has this never been mentioned before? All through GOTM theres no mention of an equally powerful Jaghut simply under the city Raest was lured to. Ah well I suppose well have to wait and see.

Im rereading ROTCG atm which I do enjoy but SW was a bit meh and this sounds like it will go the same way. People who appreciate growth in writing will say that ICE wil have improved Im sure. But for the reader such as myself who doesnt really notice the subtle layers as much it feel like ICE went 'need a tyrant. hmmm. Well Jaghuts are tyrants thatll do'.

If it turns out Assail is a human tyrant being manipulated by a Jaghut or some other billy bullshit I will be unamused.

#70 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:42 PM

View Posttiam, on 10 July 2011 - 11:56 AM, said:

Exactly. Luckily this treasure hunter will be stopped by a young farmboy, noble in nature but not name, who finds a magic sword that only one pure of heart can wield.

In any case its things like this that make me think they might be winging it. Raest is the biggest baddest Jaghut tyrant and people have spent centuries trying too uncover him. Oh actually theres another EVEN MEANER ONE like 20 minutes away under Darujhistan. Also (not that this should hold because the timeline is unimportant) but doesnt it say in GOTM that Dstan is 2000 years old? Or aar we ignoring that since TTH.

Ever since the Kelyk started falling rom the sky in TTH (which wasnt really explained) and reading SW ive felt that theyre compromising their universe in search of a good story. While the blurbs are always full of shit the fact that its a jaghut tyrant more terrible than any before after all the Raest build up in GOTM is making me lose faith in ICE. For example if this jaghut tyrant is the worst then why didnt the same thin happen with Jaghut and Imass banding together to stop him? And if it did why has this never been mentioned before? All through GOTM theres no mention of an equally powerful Jaghut simply under the city Raest was lured to. Ah well I suppose well have to wait and see.

Im rereading ROTCG atm which I do enjoy but SW was a bit meh and this sounds like it will go the same way. People who appreciate growth in writing will say that ICE wil have improved Im sure. But for the reader such as myself who doesnt really notice the subtle layers as much it feel like ICE went 'need a tyrant. hmmm. Well Jaghuts are tyrants thatll do'.

If it turns out Assail is a human tyrant being manipulated by a Jaghut or some other billy bullshit I will be unamused.

Who knows, the blurb could actually be talking about Raest. It never says that Humble Measure's discovery included the burial place of a Tyrant itself. All that's said is that his discovery will lead to said unleashing. It's not even conclusive that the 'Tyrant kings' being talked about in GotM are even Jaghut. The coin depicting the last Tyrant of Darujhistan that the shepherd finds in TTH is said to depict a man, not a tusked, slightly bestial head. In MoI it is mentioned that the discovery of iron (and thus the passing from the Bronze Age to the Iron Age) occurred about five hundred years prior to the events of MBotF.

The scout shrugged. 'Seems likely. According to some Malazan scholars, the discovery of iron occurred only half a thousand years ago - for the peoples of the Quon Tali continent, in any case. Before that, everyone used bronze. And before bronze we used unalloyed copper and tin. Before those, why not stone?'

The records Humble Measure found extend back six hundred years, are contained in and the coin the shepherd finds is copper, marking the Tyrant's rule as slightly older if this is all to be believed. Duiker and the Birdgeburners guess the corpses in the basement of K'rul's are at least centuries old as well. So we can't even be sure there is another Jaghut Tyrant who specifically ruled Darujhistan, and we know the names of at least two, possibly three Tyrants, and of an 'age' of Tyrants.

On the other hand, there are quite a number of complications with that theory. Darujhistan is likely much older than two thousand years old, human civilisation having existed for at least one hundred thousand years prior to Burn's Sleep with the advent of the First Empire, so that at least is maybe a GotM'ism. The whole 'Bronze Age' theory quoted above is immediately attacked by Envy who points out other civilisations (namely the Jaghut) also worked bronze, and the complex Humble Measure discovers could be similar to the Jaghut tomb in Midnight Tides.

But I digress. What I'm saying is, give ICE a little credit and don't be so quick to judge based on such a small piece of evidence. Everything sucks out of context. If I told you one of the most major POV characters in GotM was a young thief who randomly stumbles on a magical coin that gives him supernatural luck and in doing so becomes embroiled in a complex plot that threatens to destroy the very city he loves, you'd be quite justified in snorting your derision. Of course, Crokus' story is more complicated than that, as is Humble Measure's. So read the book in its entirety before making unfounded accusations of ICE phoning it in, please.

This post has been edited by MTS: 10 July 2011 - 02:44 PM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#71 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:19 PM

If you look at the blurb (which we both agree are troublesome to rely on) it calls them a 'destructive Jaghut tyrant king'. The only time anyone is referred to as a tyrant king is Dstan. Raest was a jaghut tyrant no a tyrant king so because of the context its looking like the Tyrant under the city or whereever is Jaghut, which is what bothers me. Even if the blurb is unreliable it cant have gotten the race wrong.

#72 User is offline   Silk 

• Master of the Decks -- Spinning round and Round
  • Group: Bridgeburner

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:23 PM

Well we all know that the little boy who will save all is a Nom that is following in the footsteps of the other famous/infamous sons of Nom along with his BFF whom he saved from a bully in TTH and has now taken over from his mother as the pre-eminent fencing instructor of Daru along with some able bodied assistance from The Mules of war.... (Pust's mule is taking time out to visit Kruppes Mule).... to lead them into the forthcoming confrontation with the tyrant of old.....

#73 User is offline   LordofTheFallen 

• Last King of The Fallen Gods
  • Interests:Leaving flaming bags of Bha'karal poop on the doorsteps of the azath houses.

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:56 AM

I think the difference between this guy and raest is that this guy is "the most powerful and destructive" while raest was cruel and brutal. so the difference being this guy may simply enslave darujhistan while raest would have possibly wiped it off the map for the hell of it.

That said, I wonder who could possibly match up against this guy. Rake is gone and all the other really powerful ascendants or mages are on another continent, (assuming it follows the timeline, which it should.) Karsa and Kallor are still around but Kallor is all talk and Karsa hasn't fought someone like this before.

I'm Excited!
"It seems I have stumbled upon another crime in progress"
Tehol held out the chicken by it's scrawny neck, "Here then, we never really expected the ransom in any case."

#74 User is offline   Migol 

• Sergeant

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:00 AM

View PostLordofTheFallen, on 25 July 2011 - 02:56 AM, said:

I think the difference between this guy and raest is that this guy is "the most powerful and destructive" while raest was cruel and brutal. so the difference being this guy may simply enslave darujhistan while raest would have possibly wiped it off the map for the hell of it.

That said, I wonder who could possibly match up against this guy. Rake is gone and all the other really powerful ascendants or mages are on another continent, (assuming it follows the timeline, which it should.) Karsa and Kallor are still around but Kallor is all talk and Karsa hasn't fought someone like this before.

I'm Excited!

You also have:

1) Kruppe; while we haven't seen him in a fight (Pust aside...), he's tipped his hand IMO to being at least High Mage status, what with teleporting weapons and such halfway around the world in TCG under Olar Ethil's nose, and various other shenanigans like frustrating Barak (Torrud member).
2) Raest may get involved? The Azath are fading according to Tayschrenn, and it's not inconceivable that it gets destroyed or releases him to fight a bigger threat. (also, Tufty!)
3) Lady Envy was also there with her lover Fisher if memory serves. She's Draconus' daughter and has her pet seguleh.
4) Several retired Bridgeburners. Probably still have some munitions stored somewhere. Also, pickled seguleh in their bar that were placed there in readiness against the tyrant?
5) The Seguleh 2nd is probably still riding around somewhere screaming "SKINNER!" 3 books later. In all seriousness he'd have no way to know where to go barring weird undead tracking powers
6) Although it's a bit iffy that he's still in the city, Caladan Brood was last seen breaking Dragnipur in the company of Barak. This same Barak who's been agonizing about the return of the Tyrant, and might notice that he's playing host to one of the world's most powerful ascendants with a hammer that can destroy -anything-. If he didn't at least mention the problem I'd be disappointed.

#75 User is offline   Silk 

• Master of the Decks -- Spinning round and Round
  • Group: Bridgeburner

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:43 AM

for point 6 I think he already knows .... Rake knew and I have a feeling that Brood knew almost everything Rake knew ....

#76 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:29 AM

I'm interested if the Kiska/Leoman/Tayschrenn plot will be advanced. Maybe they end up in Kharkanas....

Also, would ST and Cots have any hand here in this novel, given they have their plot to save the world/kill gods and dragons succeed. I mean, they have been in every book up till now, with the exception of Midnight Tides and the Bauchelain and Korbal series.
...Every tale is a gift,
And the scars bourne by us both,
are easily missed,
In the distance between us.

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

Kindness has its own rewards,
and each must find his way to heaven

-T.D. Mengerink-

#77 User is offline   Blacksox 

• Captain

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:10 AM

View PostMigol, on 25 July 2011 - 07:00 AM, said:

View PostLordofTheFallen, on 25 July 2011 - 02:56 AM, said:

I'm Excited!

You also have:

1) Kruppe; while we haven't seen him in a fight (Pust aside...), he's tipped his hand IMO to being at least High Mage status, what with teleporting weapons and such halfway around the world in TCG under Olar Ethil's nose, and various other shenanigans like frustrating Barak (Torrud member).
2) Raest may get involved? The Azath are fading according to Tayschrenn, and it's not inconceivable that it gets destroyed or releases him to fight a bigger threat. (also, Tufty!)
3) Lady Envy was also there with her lover Fisher if memory serves. She's Draconus' daughter and has her pet seguleh.
4) Several retired Bridgeburners. Probably still have some munitions stored somewhere. Also, pickled seguleh in their bar that were placed there in readiness against the tyrant?
5) The Seguleh 2nd is probably still riding around somewhere screaming "SKINNER!" 3 books later. In all seriousness he'd have no way to know where to go barring weird undead tracking powers
6) Although it's a bit iffy that he's still in the city, Caladan Brood was last seen breaking Dragnipur in the company of Barak. This same Barak who's been agonizing about the return of the Tyrant, and might notice that he's playing host to one of the world's most powerful ascendants with a hammer that can destroy -anything-. If he didn't at least mention the problem I'd be disappointed.

First off I don't believe Kallor is all talk. Kallor has pretty much got the better of everyone we have seen him come up against with the exception of one. And that one has beaten everyone we have seen him face.

Their is a couple of other major powers on hand not mentioned yet.

1. Dassem Ultor is in Darujhistan last we heard.

2. Draconis is mentioned in the blurb and might choose to intervene.

3. I think Spite is still there as well. Not postive about that.

Has the potential to be the biggest convergence yet IMO

This post has been edited by Blacksox: 01 September 2011 - 02:10 AM

#78 User is offline   Migol 

• Sergeant

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:12 AM

Spite I'm pretty sure went away at the end of TTH, taking the ship. Draconus was last seen halfway around the world battling Kilmandaros; he's still possible though since distance probably doesn't mean much to him, and because Envy is still there...may have some unfinished business.

Dassem is a question mark, I'm not sure how the timeline goes with him (lol). Was he last seen in RoTCG, was that just a summoned version of him (he did kinda come out of nowhere and he is a God)?

#79 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:23 AM

View PostMigol, on 01 September 2011 - 06:12 AM, said:

Spite I'm pretty sure went away at the end of TTH, taking the ship. Draconus was last seen halfway around the world battling Kilmandaros; he's still possible though since distance probably doesn't mean much to him, and because Envy is still there...may have some unfinished business.

Dassem is a question mark, I'm not sure how the timeline goes with him (lol). Was he last seen in RoTCG, was that just a summoned version of him (he did kinda come out of nowhere and he is a God)?

RotCG is before TTH, so having a grief fit in Darujhistan is the last we saw of him.

Him and Duiker are probably sitting in a corner in K'rul's Bar being miserable together. They're both Old Guard I think, so they can talk about how the Empire's turned shit and stuff.
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#80 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:47 AM

Concerning the Old Guard and the completely loose nature of Kiska's story line in stonewielder, I might think we could see something from Tayschrenn in this book. Who knows, wouldn't it be hilarious to have some bridgeburners guide Kiska to the premier mage in town (Baruk)..... to find Baruk having tea with Kruppe and Tays ?
...Every tale is a gift,
And the scars bourne by us both,
are easily missed,
In the distance between us.

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

Kindness has its own rewards,
and each must find his way to heaven

-T.D. Mengerink-