What's messing with your groove?

#30321 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 February 2024 - 10:25 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 08 February 2024 - 10:04 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 05 February 2024 - 10:37 AM, said:

Aircon in the car died. This is not good in an Australian summer. :sweat:

So the mechanics had a look at it. It's not the gas, which would have been a cheap quick fix. No, it's the compressor.
Ballpark estimate $1500-2000. :shock: :crybaby:
They'll email me a quote later.

Drink lots of water and drive naked? Thats ridiculous

#30322 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 09 February 2024 - 12:41 AM

Lugged my old external HDD with me to the house knowing it was on its last legs and unplugging it might be fatal.

And lo and behold, hooking it up here, it's not showing any signs of life. Sigh.

Most of the stuff on it I've already backed up elsewhere. Still annoying though.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#30323 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 February 2024 - 07:46 AM

View PostCause, on 08 February 2024 - 10:25 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 08 February 2024 - 10:04 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 05 February 2024 - 10:37 AM, said:

Aircon in the car died. This is not good in an Australian summer. :sweat:

So the mechanics had a look at it. It's not the gas, which would have been a cheap quick fix. No, it's the compressor.
Ballpark estimate $1500-2000. :shock: :crybaby:
They'll email me a quote later.

Drink lots of water and drive naked? Thats ridiculous

So it's going to be $1638. Booked in for Thursday. Le sigh. :(
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#30324 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 17 February 2024 - 05:28 AM

I went to an interesting cocktails pairings tasting this evening in my city. Wanted to go do something off beat and it was. I had a decent time and they surprised me with there being mushrooms in the chocolate (regular, edible, not magic). The evening was sponsored by a person who owns a mushroom farm and wanted to sorta spread the word.

I'm in the messed with groove thread because while there, I ran into a lady I was seeing for several months last year. Three weeks after I asked her to go exclusive, she broke it off, saying that life was challenging her to the point of not being able to see me, she didn't want to do halfway things etc. That was early December.

Anyways, she was there with a guy and the degree of hand holding and so on strongly suggested this wasn't a new thing. So I probably got lied to about the reasons she ended the relationship.

I don't mind being broken up with if it isn't right. I do mind an enthusiastic agreement to go exclusive, a not well handled breakup calling me a terrific person, pointing to an inability to date effectively, and probably dating this other person the whole time.

I have been able to get through the grit of the minor upset with hanging out with my happy, snoozing dog and watching a movie.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#30325 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 17 February 2024 - 08:47 AM

Some dampness seeping into one of the bedrooms indicative of potential damage on the roof/chimney stack. Oh well, there goes our savings...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#30326 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 26 February 2024 - 11:46 PM

There is a Star Trek cruise going on RIGHT NOW and I’m not on it! Looking at the itinerary I could have learned Shakespeare with Armin Shimmerman! That would have been so up my alley!!
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#30327 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 27 February 2024 - 10:05 AM

View PostLady Bliss, on 26 February 2024 - 11:46 PM, said:

There is a Star Trek cruise going on RIGHT NOW and I’m not on it! Looking at the itinerary I could have learned Shakespeare with Armin Shimmerman! That would have been so up my alley!!

Bummer. :(

Linky?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#30328 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 27 February 2024 - 01:07 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 27 February 2024 - 10:05 AM, said:

View PostLady Bliss, on 26 February 2024 - 11:46 PM, said:

Bummer. :(

Linky?

https://startrekthecruise.com/
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#30329 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 29 February 2024 - 02:25 PM

After more tests it turns out I do have type 2 diabetes.

It's low level at present and with a few lifestyle adjustments it should be fairly straightforward to manage/stay on top of. I'm not very overweight and I am walking to work instead of driving more frequently now (2.5 miles each way so a good 45 minute walk).

I'm going to cut back on a lot of my favourite things (goodbye cheese, goodbye bacon, I still love you!) and overall it could be worse but it still sucks. I've never smoked and I'm a very light/infrequent drinker so it's food that is my downfall!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#30330 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 February 2024 - 05:52 PM

Just had an Albany, NY moment - a woman threw a drink at me on State Street in front of the State Education building because I asked her not to kick her pitbull.

The mixture of love and fear that the dog was displaying towards her compelled me to say something.

I pulled out my phone after the drink splattered everywhere. She took off ranting and with the dog clearly trying to do its best to be a good dog and not get kicked.

I'm sort of powerless to do anything to make anything better beyond not having the dog be kicked for a few minutes of its life. This stinks.

Also, Tiste, I believe in your ability to beat this!!!
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#30331 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 29 February 2024 - 08:09 PM

Sorry to hear about that Tiste. It sucks getting older! I’ve had to make changes to my diet for health too, but I feel like it’s been positive!

Amp I am furious that anyone could do anything like that to you. I’m surprised no one stopped her! Also that poor pup. That woman should have been arrested for assault and animal abuse!

#30332 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 29 February 2024 - 09:10 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 29 February 2024 - 02:25 PM, said:

After more tests it turns out I do have type 2 diabetes.

It's low level at present and with a few lifestyle adjustments it should be fairly straightforward to manage/stay on top of. I'm not very overweight and I am walking to work instead of driving more frequently now (2.5 miles each way so a good 45 minute walk).

I'm going to cut back on a lot of my favourite things (goodbye cheese, goodbye bacon, I still love you!) and overall it could be worse but it still sucks. I've never smoked and I'm a very light/infrequent drinker so it's food that is my downfall!

Sorry to hear this Tiste. Did you catch it early to still potentially be reversible?

It will be an adjustment no doubt, sorry you have to deal with this. At least the tech has come a long way so its much easier to monitor and manage your blood glucose. Look into the subcutanous monitors I think they care called.

#30333 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 01 March 2024 - 06:56 AM

Bad luck Tiste. I reckon those walks to work will make a huge difference if you keep at it.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#30334 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 01 March 2024 - 11:14 PM

Thanks all. Thankfully I live in a good place with some fairly decent support from the medical professionals so I am confident with a bit of discipline I can keep it low.

Amph, sorry you had to go through that, some people are pretty awful.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#30335 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 02 March 2024 - 01:04 AM

Best of luck, Taste.

WMWMG: highly ironic, since I wrote that the melting snow was making me happy. On the way to run some errands and drop off mail, I took a beachside walk. And got my foot caught in meltwater. Not the first time this happens in my Northern life, so I take the soaked sock off, squeeze out the excess water from the shoe and continue on my merry way- after all, all I gotta do is finish my short walk, drop off the envelope and make it home before sundown, as it's still plus 5 outside.

Alas, the mail clerk is warning me there's no pickup tomorrow, and my best bet to make my timeline next week is UPS or Purolator. All right, the UPS at town center is still open. Order an UBER, wait 15 min (grab a cup of tea in the meantime to get indoors). Make it 20 min before the UPS store closes, take care of things. Now, the bus home. Wait 40 odd minutes for a bus, as it's getting dark (do some quick shopping for a few small things since I'm here anyway). On the bus back, start actually feeling the cold in the bare foot.

So then, after another 15 min or so, I'm home, soaking my feet and ankles in a hot bath, while sipping on a Kraken. Exasperating adventure, would absolutely suck to wake up with a cold tomorrow from this. Moral of the story is, I guess, to always bring a spare pair of socks when traipsing about spring snow.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 02 March 2024 - 01:05 AM

#30336 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 02 March 2024 - 01:15 AM

View PostMentalist, on 02 March 2024 - 01:04 AM, said:

Best of luck, Taste.

WMWMG: highly ironic, since I wrote that the melting snow was making me happy. On the way to run some errands and drop off mail, I took a beachside walk. And got my foot caught in meltwater. Not the first time this happens in my Northern life, so I take the soaked sock off, squeeze out the excess water from the shoe and continue on my merry way- after all, all I gotta do is finish my short walk, drop off the envelope and make it home before sundown, as it's still plus 5 outside.

Alas, the mail clerk is warning me there's no pickup tomorrow, and my best bet to make my timeline next week is UPS or Purolator. All right, the UPS at town center is still open. Order an UBER, wait 15 min (grab a cup of tea in the meantime to get indoors). Make it 20 min before the UPS store closes, take care of things. Now, the bus home. Wait 40 odd minutes for a bus, as it's getting dark (do some quick shopping for a few small things since I'm here anyway). On the bus back, start actually feeling the cold in the bare foot.

So then, after another 15 min or so, I'm home, soaking my feet and ankles in a hot bath, while sipping on a Kraken. Exasperating adventure, would absolutely suck to wake up with a cold tomorrow from this. Moral of the story is, I guess, to always bring a spare pair of socks when traipsing about spring snow.

What is this "snow" of which you speak?

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  temp.jpg (92.12K)
    Number of downloads: 0

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 02 March 2024 - 01:18 AM

#30337 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 02 March 2024 - 02:29 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 02 March 2024 - 01:15 AM, said:

Best of luck, Taste.

The frozen water that keeps drop bears, giant spiders, snakes and other lethal critters away.

#30338 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 March 2024 - 12:27 AM

View PostMentalist, on 02 March 2024 - 02:29 AM, said:

Best of luck, Taste.

The frozen water that keeps drop bears, giant spiders, snakes and other lethal critters away.

What kind of lame torontoesque nonsense were you wearing on your feet that the water got thru in the first place?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#30339 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 03 March 2024 - 07:32 PM

View PostAbyss, on 03 March 2024 - 12:27 AM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 02 March 2024 - 02:29 AM, said:

Best of luck, Taste.

What kind of lame torontoesque nonsense were you wearing on your feet that the water got thru in the first place?

I've been in Wasaga the past month or so. And I was wearing New Balance spring runners. (MX623AB- my all season "wet weather footwear" )

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 03 March 2024 - 11:37 PM

#30340 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 03 March 2024 - 11:50 PM

I don't know if my overthinking things or was making my life too hard previously but...

My current job is to just be the scientist and to support my colleagues who handle the sales process. After I did an experimental report for the customer over zoom, they requested one additional slide which I made and then emailed my colleague in sales a copy of the report as a PDF and wrote an informal email that was meant to be seen by just him. I figured he would email them, write what he had to discuss creating a follow up call. He just fwd'ed the email directly to the customer and wrote 'see below'.

My email didn't have anything secret or damaging, no reason the customer cant see it. Just struck me as a really bizarre way to handle things. I could have just sent it to them myself. I handed it to him because it allows him to add in the salesy stuff while sending them the technical report which they are expecting and need.

Share this topic:

• 1532 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

11 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users