• You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#30221 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 December 2023 - 11:50 AM

just make it to wednesday is the goal right now

#30222 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 18 December 2023 - 11:35 PM

I have a member of staff who's not doing his job all that well and have had to have a couple of fairly unpleasant (for both of us tbh) conversations with him. He's a very pleasant young man, but he's probably not suited for the job; we can't really rely on him. Unfortunately that's also been spotted by the higher-ups too, and, worse, other members of the team. This is a part of my job that I do not like at all.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#30223 User is online   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 December 2023 - 08:14 PM

Some strange random thoughts that are messing with my groove:

I am sad I didn’t grow up having an American Christmas as a Chile. Former colleagues are sharing with me photos of their trees, house decorations, piles of presents and it truly does seem like an amazing core memory of childhood. Hell it looks fun for the adults too

I ordered groceries online. They arrived in ten Walmart plastic shopping bags but of the kind your supposed to pay for and reuse multiple times. However the delivery guys must get them for free. I now have several plastic bags that are even more bad for the environment and nothing to do with them but dispose of them. Ridiculous outcome of an initiative meant to help the environment

I also bought a large tub of yoghurt. In SA a product like this in addition to having a best before date would have instructions of how many days to keep refrigerated once open before disposing it as unsafe. America doesn’t seem to do this for some reason.

#30224 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 December 2023 - 08:45 PM

View PostCause, on 22 December 2023 - 08:14 PM, said:

Some strange random thoughts that are messing with my groove:

I am sad I didn't grow up having an American Christmas as a Chile. Former colleagues are sharing with me photos of their trees, house decorations, piles of presents and it truly does seem like an amazing core memory of childhood. Hell it looks fun for the adults too

I ordered groceries online. They arrived in ten Walmart plastic shopping bags but of the kind your supposed to pay for and reuse multiple times. However the delivery guys must get them for free. I now have several plastic bags that are even more bad for the environment and nothing to do with them but dispose of them. Ridiculous outcome of an initiative meant to help the environment

I also bought a large tub of yoghurt. In SA a product like this in addition to having a best before date would have instructions of how many days to keep refrigerated once open before disposing it as unsafe. America doesn't seem to do this for some reason.

IDK why more Jewish people don't just celebrate it as a secular holiday (maybe christen it Giving Tree Day or something?). Especially when their children don't even speak a language in which the association between 'Santa' and 'Saint' is obvious (so odd that public Christmas displays in the US these days so rarely depict Santa resurrecting the butchered pickled children from the barrel... or maybe it's the salted butchered children in the tub:

In France the evil butcher became St. Nicholas servant and has followed him ever since. This is the most popular story in France, set to a well-known and beloved song. The image of Saint Nicholas with children in a tub at his feet is the most widespread image of the saint in Western Europe.

The Evil Butcher ::: St. Nicholas Center (stnicholascenter.org)

). My Jewish grandmother refused to do Easter but had no issue with celebrating (no-Christianity) Christmas. OTOH I wonder how many Christians swap out the tree for a festive shining red cross to decorate (... with sacrifices? or spears in the side of Jesus?... he could be filled with blood and water, like a fountain...).

If it's any consolation, think of all the people getting long covid (or worse) for Christmas. Borne across vast distances....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 22 December 2023 - 08:45 PM

#30225 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 22 December 2023 - 10:50 PM

View PostCause, on 22 December 2023 - 08:14 PM, said:

I also bought a large tub of yoghurt. In SA a product like this in addition to having a best before date would have instructions of how many days to keep refrigerated once open before disposing it as unsafe. America doesn’t seem to do this for some reason.

Yoghurt is good until it smells bad. I ignore all use by dates apart from meat and fish. And meat I'll go over a couple of days if it smells ok, hasn't been out of the fridge since I bought it and is going to be well cooked. I've eaten yoghurts over a week out of date.

This is where some microbiology training is either saving me money or lulling me into a false sense of security before I kill my family with listeria.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#30226 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 26 December 2023 - 09:53 PM

Neighbours.

I assume (read: hope to fuck) these are just visiting for chrimbobs up the road; I live on a main road with no on-road parking and have an alley at the back of the house for car access, with a gated driveway. Up the road has suddenly had three cars parking outside for them (before they'd had none), and at times parking directly across our drive, both across the car gate and the foot gate.

Wouldn't be so annoyed if not for that I'd spoken to one of the people driving in who'd said they'd make sure it didn't happen, and I get up this morning and the car is blocked in again - I didn't have to go anywhere today but I frequently do at 5:30am and if that was the case today, well, I'd have had to knock on their door until they came out to move it - at 5:30am.

Also wife didn't get the job so back to poverty we go
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#30227 User is online   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 06 January 2024 - 08:30 PM

With the new job is makes sense financially and also by necessity to finally buy a car I think. I had by no means made a choice as I am not a car person and need to do quite a bit of research egarding parking, insurance and the cars itself.

I was contemplating a Tesla 3 base model which with a tax credit didn’t seem to unreasonable. However in 2024 the base model lost the credit and only the most expensive version retains it which is ridiculous.

#30228 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 06 January 2024 - 10:25 PM

View PostCause, on 06 January 2024 - 08:30 PM, said:

With the new job is makes sense financially and also by necessity to finally buy a car I think. I had by no means made a choice as I am not a car person and need to do quite a bit of research egarding parking, insurance and the cars itself.

I was contemplating a Tesla 3 base model which with a tax credit didn’t seem to unreasonable. However in 2024 the base model lost the credit and only the most expensive version retains it which is ridiculous.

Get a Hyundai Ioniq - same price range, better comfort features and ride, plus company doesn't put out piece of shit vehicles. Assuming you're ok going without the tax credit.

I quote the Consumer Reports review: "The Ioniq 6 takes the core mechanical elements of the all-electric Ioniq 5 and wraps them up in a more aerodynamic sedan. The sleek 6 is aimed right at the Tesla Model 3, with the Hyundai surpassing it with its more comfortable ride, quieter interior and more intuitive controls. Quick acceleration and responsive handling make the Ioniq 6 fun to drive, while a competitive driving range and a relatively speedy at-home charging rate make it easy to live with."
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#30229 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 January 2024 - 11:17 PM

I was contemplating a Tesla 3 base model which with a tax credit didn't seem to unreasonable. However in 2024 the base model lost the credit and only the most expensive version retains it which is ridiculous.

Reminds me of these two (fittingly juxtaposed) headlines in Barron's today:

Donald Trump Wants to Rip Up EV Tax Credits. He’s Probably Right.

Why Invest in the Saudi Dictatorship?

Why? ... because Barons love evil, obviously!

#30230 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 08 January 2024 - 08:50 AM

Stress continues to grind me down. I've got some medication from the doctor - neighbours haven't caused any issues directly but someone is moving in next door at present, parked accordingly and up the road's response was to not obstruct my driveway but park down the hill from the entrance (good). Where it's bad is that the manner of parking should be considered abandoning a car in the middle of the road.

Work stress is getting to me and wife isn't working after Primark fell through so we are sort of on a timer to get her back working so we can actually afford to live without parental handouts. It's an overall very depressing situation and I've felt close to skirting a breakdown myself a couple times recently.

#30231 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 08 January 2024 - 11:17 AM

View Postamphibian, on 06 January 2024 - 10:25 PM, said:

I was contemplating a Tesla 3 base model which with a tax credit didn't seem to unreasonable. However in 2024 the base model lost the credit and only the most expensive version retains it which is ridiculous.

Get a Hyundai Ioniq - same price range, better comfort features and ride, plus company doesn't put out piece of shit vehicles. Assuming you're ok going without the tax credit.

I quote the Consumer Reports review: "The Ioniq 6 takes the core mechanical elements of the all-electric Ioniq 5 and wraps them up in a more aerodynamic sedan. The sleek 6 is aimed right at the Tesla Model 3, with the Hyundai surpassing it with its more comfortable ride, quieter interior and more intuitive controls. Quick acceleration and responsive handling make the Ioniq 6 fun to drive, while a competitive driving range and a relatively speedy at-home charging rate make it easy to live with."

Not specifically the Ioniq, but partner and I both drive older Hyundais (i10 and i20 respectively) and we've both said when we come to change cars another Hyundai will be top of the list - both are still very reliable and drive nicely, the only big repair costs have been the sort of inevitable part replacement you'd expect for +10 year old cars.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 08 January 2024 - 11:17 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#30232 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 January 2024 - 01:27 PM

Hyundai also owns Boston Dynamics, so by buying a Hyundai you're helping to fund videos like this one:

... as well as the eventual end of de facto forced (human) labor. So win-win-win-...

(Yes Tesla is developing humanoid robots, but you know Elon Musk is just going to use them to try to conquer the world for himself... and he would be a terrible world dictator.)

#30233 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 11 January 2024 - 08:40 PM

Had another treatment on my throat this morning and they found that my hiatal hernia has come back. After they are done with the throat treatments (hopefully in March) I’ll need to have the surgery again.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#30234 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 12 January 2024 - 12:01 AM

View PostLady Bliss, on 11 January 2024 - 08:40 PM, said:

Had another treatment on my throat this morning and they found that my hiatal hernia has come back. After they are done with the throat treatments (hopefully in March) I’ll need to have the surgery again.

Dang. I hope it's mostly smooth sailing to March then.

#30235 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 12 January 2024 - 12:02 AM

View PostLady Bliss, on 11 January 2024 - 08:40 PM, said:

Dang. I hope it's mostly smooth sailing to March then.

#30236 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 12 January 2024 - 12:50 PM

Struggling mentally lately. Wife continues the job hunt but more and more I feel like I'm losing hope. It's not on her - she's busting her ass with applications and interviews. I just can't get shot of this hollow feeling in my chest.

#30237 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 12 January 2024 - 01:18 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 12 January 2024 - 12:50 PM, said:

Struggling mentally lately. Wife continues the job hunt but more and more I feel like I'm losing hope. It's not on her - she's busting her ass with applications and interviews. I just can't get shot of this hollow feeling in my chest.

Are you taking something for depression? I know that helps and got me through the hell of 2023. This may sound hokey and hard d to do this time of year, but my Mom always used to tell me to go spend time outside. The sun and fresh air perk me up a bit.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#30238 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 January 2024 - 03:21 PM

View PostLady Bliss, on 12 January 2024 - 01:18 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 12 January 2024 - 12:50 PM, said:

Are you taking something for depression? I know that helps and got me through the hell of 2023. This may sound hokey and hard d to do this time of year, but my Mom always used to tell me to go spend time outside. The sun and fresh air perk me up a bit.

The sun part is an issue in the north of England especially at things time of year...

For real though I do find a bit of a walk even if it's Baltic outside does help clear the head a bit.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#30239 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 January 2024 - 12:16 PM

Nowhere near on the scale of what people are going through above but ...

Holidays go way too fast. Back to work tomorrow. Fuck. :(
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#30240 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 14 January 2024 - 03:35 PM

Dude, it’s so friggin cold, and we’re not even in the worst of it.

Wind chill is -16 outside, that’s like -27 to most of y’all.

Good day to sit on the couch and read.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

Share this topic:

• 1523 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Cause