• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#29221 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 27 November 2022 - 12:03 PM

I don't think it is difficult and you definitely don't sound judgey.

It's wrong to send the World Cup to Qatar due to their human right record. It was 100% a corrupt decision. I read about why Qatar wanted it given they have zero football culture. They don't give a monkeys about what the west thinks. They did it as an expression of hard regional power to put themselves on the map as they are are vulnerable to trade blockades and coups. Apparently, I'm not an expert.

It's wrong to watch and take part in the same way it's wrong to eat meat, fly in aeroplanes and to outsource the manufacture of all of our consumer products to places with minimal workplace rights. We turn a blind eye to all of it due to convenience and privilege. Or we pick one or two 'bad' things to make ourselves feel better.

Hence my "screw it" attitude. There's blood on my hands either way.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#29222 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 November 2022 - 04:55 PM

Also a very valid (and understandably world weary) point. I almost feel the same about climate change. I think we're way too far gone so what's the point?

Fwiw in that instance I'm going to keep doing my part because if I feel I've tried for my kids I can sleep at night.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#29223 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 27 November 2022 - 06:17 PM

Same here. Attempting a mostly second hand Christmas this year. I wish I didn't have a kid because although I would still feel terrible and do my best to not contribute to climate change, I would not feel quite as terrible as I do! It does keep me awake at night. If I didn't need to work I think I might have joined Extinction Rebellion and glued myself to the M25 by now. But still I find myself watching the Qatar world cup 🤪

#29224 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 28 November 2022 - 03:31 AM

Did anyone ever get any updates from Andorion?

#29225 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 November 2022 - 07:31 AM

Not that I have seen. I messaged him a few times, hopefully once the email thing was fixed something got through.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#29226 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 28 November 2022 - 05:06 PM

Bloody hell... how the other half live...

Speaking to a client of mine and he has twin children only 11 year old. He's gone and ordered a new mattress for each of them today... the cost £230,000 for both mattresses. Made out of genuine Mongolian yak wool... absolutely mental!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#29227 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 November 2022 - 05:13 PM

View Postchamp, on 28 November 2022 - 05:06 PM, said:

Speaking to a client of mine and he has twin children only 11 year old. He's gone and ordered a new mattress for each of them today... the cost £230,000 for both mattresses. Made out of genuine Mongolian yak wool... absolutely mental!

Wonder how much Mongolians benefited from that if it all---exploitative sweatshop? Or is

One hundred and fifteen thousand pounds per child's mattress
the cost of ethical 'consumption' now?...
(If genuine Mongolian yak wool's what you need
in order for your children to have a good night's sleep)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 28 November 2022 - 05:15 PM

#29228 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 November 2022 - 05:59 PM

Sucker. He could have bought two full yaks for that price.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#29229 User is offline   champ 

Posted 28 November 2022 - 06:10 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 28 November 2022 - 05:13 PM, said:

Wonder how much Mongolians benefited from that if it all---exploitative sweatshop? Or is

It's always a strange conversation with people like that, they clearly have more money than they know what to do with it.

The wool is sustainably sourced from Mongolia but how that benefits I don't know... if at all...

Apparently the price is justified because they 3D scan your body then handmake the mattress to your design and specification... I'm not so sure about that myself but less said the better...

This post has been edited by champ: 28 November 2022 - 06:13 PM

Tehol said:

#29230 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 November 2022 - 06:12 PM

View Postchamp, on 28 November 2022 - 06:10 PM, said:

It's always a strange conversation with people like that, they clearly have more money than they know what to do with it.
The wool is sustainably sourced from Mongolia but how that benefits I don't know... if at all...
Apparently the price is justified because they 3D scan your body then handmake the mattress to your design and specification... I'm not so sure about that myself but less said the better,,,

Too late now I want one I'll be living on the street but on my mattress so I'll be happy....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 28 November 2022 - 06:13 PM

#29231 User is offline   champ 

Posted 28 November 2022 - 06:15 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 28 November 2022 - 06:12 PM, said:

Apparently the price is justified because they 3D scan your body then handmake the mattress to your design and specification... I'm not so sure about that myself but less said the better,,,

Too late now I want one I'll be living on the street but on my mattress so I'll be happy....

Just go with what Abyss said, then you can snuggle in and also milk it to sustain you further!

This post has been edited by champ: 28 November 2022 - 06:15 PM

Tehol said:

#29232 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 November 2022 - 09:01 PM

I’ve yakked up a hairball or two in my day, and never charged a dime. Am I the fool here?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#29233 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 28 November 2022 - 10:19 PM

Now that the pandemic is over and I'm traveling less for work it's exposing the fact that I just don't have many connections in Philadelphia.

I'm a remote employee so can't really rely on work colleagues either.

Going out for dinner, going to the movies, inviting someone over to game (ps5, boardgames etc). I am struggling to find people to do all the things I used to do prepandemic and immigration.

I have reached out to an expat group on Facebook, I'm dating but it's hard to make real friendships but I need to figure it out.

The friends I made during the pandemic have either moved or gone back to their regular social lives.

#29234 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 November 2022 - 10:32 PM

View PostCause, on 28 November 2022 - 10:19 PM, said:

Now that the pandemic is over and I'm traveling less for work it's exposing the fact that I just don't have many connections in Philadelphia.

I'm a remote employee so can't really rely on work colleagues either.

Going out for dinner, going to the movies, inviting someone over to game (ps5, boardgames etc). I am struggling to find people to do all the things I used to do prepandemic and immigration.

I have reached out to an expat group on Facebook, I'm dating but it's hard to make real friendships but I need to figure it out.

The friends I made during the pandemic have either moved or gone back to their regular social lives.

Try meetup.com, it worked pretty well for me in Philadelphia before....

(Sorry I can't be of much help personally since I've been (mostly) living like a hermit during the (ongoing) pandemic. At least not when it's this cold outside....)

#29235 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 30 November 2022 - 02:20 PM

View PostCause, on 28 November 2022 - 10:19 PM, said:

Now that the pandemic is over ...

Can I move to your alt timeline?

#29236 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 30 November 2022 - 08:53 PM

Apparently the price is justified because they 3D scan your body then handmake the mattress to your design and specification... I'm not so sure about that myself but less said the better...

Why would you 3D scan a child? They will have grown within a month and be totally different. Money to burn!

@Cause - sounds like you are doing all the right things. Keep putting yourself out there.

#29237 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 01 December 2022 - 10:29 PM

I changed the settings on my phone so that I don't get any message notifications from any apps. I have this creeping anxiety the whole time knowing I always have things to read and people waiting for me to reply to stuff. I am convinced a lot of the stress feeling is related to having a smart phone - we don't need to be as connected as we are. I stopped notifications a while back but then missed my sister having a cancer scare for 3 days so I turned them back on. I stopped them again and now missed a friend having a health emergency for a flipping month.

Where is the balance, people?! Before smart phones did we just not know as many people? Or did we not recieve as much information all the time?

#29238 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 01 December 2022 - 11:10 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 01 December 2022 - 10:29 PM, said:

I changed the settings on my phone so that I don't get any message notifications from any apps. I have this creeping anxiety the whole time knowing I always have things to read and people waiting for me to reply to stuff. I am convinced a lot of the stress feeling is related to having a smart phone - we don't need to be as connected as we are. I stopped notifications a while back but then missed my sister having a cancer scare for 3 days so I turned them back on. I stopped them again and now missed a friend having a health emergency for a flipping month.

Where is the balance, people?! Before smart phones did we just not know as many people? Or did we not recieve as much information all the time?

I think people just called if it was important. Nowadays I don’t bother to listen to voicemails, I assume someone will text if it’s something I need to know.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#29239 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 01 December 2022 - 11:31 PM

View PostLady Bliss, on 01 December 2022 - 11:10 PM, said:

View PostMezla PigDog, on 01 December 2022 - 10:29 PM, said:

I think people just called if it was important. Nowadays I don’t bother to listen to voicemails, I assume someone will text if it’s something I need to know.

Unfortunately it seems the choice is miss stuff, read EVERYTHING, or expend the time setting up highly customized notifications.

I ignored voicemails on the basis that if they didnt leave a msg it wasnt important. I just discovered half my friends consider calling and hanging up TO BE THE ENTIRE MESSAGE.

My exceptions are facebook and twitter. I have told anyone who needs to know if that is how they try to contact me assume it will be minimum a month before I get the message if ever, because fuck social media as a direct communication.

#29240 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 02 December 2022 - 06:28 AM

So so my voicemails declaring my undying love for you were just ignored Abyss?

Rude.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 1522 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic