• You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#29201 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 24 November 2022 - 01:39 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 23 November 2022 - 10:20 PM, said:

Thanks guys, she is home now. And while both twins are still suffering a bit (coughs, snot etc) it's great that nothing worse happened.

Woohoo! I take the decent news when I can get it.

Something minor messing with my groove: a co-worker in an office of 4 keeps coming off as being a dismissive, jealous, and rude person to people. They were hired for considerably experience on the policy and direct client advocacy sides and the job involves much more than those, but they're almost contemptuous of those other parts and expressing unhappiness with their role.

I trust my boss on how the boss will handle it, but it's happening a bunch to me and the executive assistant. Hopefully things shift as we get fully into the budget preparation months, yet the rude stuff keeps happening and especially to those who they consider "below them in a work hierarchy".
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#29202 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 November 2022 - 02:39 PM

'China Clocks Highest Rate of Daily COVID Cases Since Pandemic Began

[...] even as Beijing continues to enforce strict control measures. [...] opposition to continued lockdowns under China’s strict “zero-COVID” policy has led to violent clashes with authorities around the country. Scenes of crowded stadiums filled with maskless spectators at the soccer World Cup in Qatar are said to be fuelling frustrations.'

China Clocks Highest Rate of Daily COVID Cases Since Pandemic Began

Was hoping the nasal vaccine they approved in September would be effective at stopping transmission... then again the efficacy is only about 57.5%:

China approves world-first inhaled COVID-19 vaccine

and a quick search didn't reveal how many people have received in the nasal vaccine. So the surge could spur more people to get it---or the government to force people to get it---and (hopefully) drastically reduce transmission....

#29203 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 November 2022 - 09:07 AM

For all the outrage and disgust people are throwing at Qatar for their World Cup, a disappointingly large number of people are still watching.
From upon my high and mighty horse I have seen aboit 2 mins, because it was on in a bar we were in and its virtually impossible for it not to catch your eye on occasion. Shame on the weak willed west

#29204 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 26 November 2022 - 09:16 AM

View PostMacros, on 26 November 2022 - 09:07 AM, said:

For all the outrage and disgust people are throwing at Qatar for their World Cup, a disappointingly large number of people are still watching.
From upon my high and mighty horse I have seen aboit 2 mins, because it was on in a bar we were in and its virtually impossible for it not to catch your eye on occasion. Shame on the weak willed west

Indeed. I caught some highlights on the news and it's impossible to miss the scores. It would have been great to have an almost media blackout on it but it would never happen.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#29205 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 November 2022 - 12:07 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 26 November 2022 - 09:16 AM, said:

Indeed. I caught some highlights on the news and it's impossible to miss the scores. It would have been great to have an almost media blackout on it but it would never happen.

Apologies. I am weak. I fully intended to boycott it, but I was flicking channels the other night and ... well, you know the rest.
I couldn't resist its siren call. Probably would have been much easier to resist if it was a vuvuzela call. :p

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 26 November 2022 - 12:07 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#29206 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 26 November 2022 - 12:48 PM

My shoulder dislocated again so they knocked me out and put it back then kept me overnight. There’s possibly surgery in my future
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#29207 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 26 November 2022 - 02:08 PM

View PostLady Bliss, on 26 November 2022 - 12:48 PM, said:

My shoulder dislocated again so they knocked me out and put it back then kept me overnight. There’s possibly surgery in my future

Oh no! Well, at least the surgery will stop it from happening during routine life again.

#29208 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 26 November 2022 - 02:14 PM

View Postamphibian, on 26 November 2022 - 02:08 PM, said:

View PostLady Bliss, on 26 November 2022 - 12:48 PM, said:

Oh no! Well, at least the surgery will stop it from happening during routine life again.

True and the dislocations are pure agony
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#29209 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 26 November 2022 - 06:39 PM

No surgery! Yet… we’will see in 10 days

#29210 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 26 November 2022 - 08:21 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 26 November 2022 - 12:07 PM, said:

Apologies. I am weak. I fully intended to boycott it, but I was flicking channels the other night and ... well, you know the rest.
I couldn't resist its siren call. Probably would have been much easier to resist if it was a vuvuzela call. :p

We're watching it. I'm not particularly outraged that it is in Qatar. The cosa nostra is a more transparent organisation than FIFA. You can't throw a stone a metre in any direction in the Western world without hitting something our lifestyle hasn't contributed to turning to shit, what's one more?
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#29211 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 November 2022 - 08:52 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 26 November 2022 - 08:21 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 26 November 2022 - 12:07 PM, said:

We're watching it. I'm not particularly outraged that it is in Qatar. The cosa nostra is a more transparent organisation than FIFA. You can't throw a stone a metre in any direction in the Western world without hitting something our lifestyle hasn't contributed to turning to shit, what's one more?

Posted Image

'Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump Schmooze With Qatari Royalty at World Cup

OF COURSE

[...] spent Thursday with Qatari Prime Minister Khalid bin Khalifa bin Abdulaziz Al Thani in a private box at the World Cup[...] on the heels of [...] questions about whether Qatar was secretly involved in a $1.2bn (£1bn) bailout—while Kushner served in Donald Trump's White House—of a [...] property owned by the Kushner family.'

Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump Schmooze With Qatari Royalty at World Cup

Seems like the Qatari rulers would get along best with Putin, since they're both fighting against people they think of as pro-LBGTQ 'Western crusaders' trying to assimilate them (... to things other than football, oil drilling, modern capitalist exploitation, etc.)... he hasn't been able to make it yet? (Maybe too worried about being assassinated....)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 26 November 2022 - 08:52 PM

#29212 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 November 2022 - 08:56 PM

I knew the costs associated with this WC would be prohibitive, but $356 BILLION?!?!?! :shock:

https://www.news.com...79252ddbc500df1

"The country has spent a reported $356 billion to stage the tournament, including $10 billion on its eight stadiums and a further $54 billion on a rail transport network to connect them all."

OK, I get that it's probably factored in a bunch of infrastructure they were going to build anyway, but holy fucking shit that is an obscene amount of coin.
If $64B covers the rail and the stadiums (stadia?), then wtf did the rest go on?

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 26 November 2022 - 08:58 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#29213 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 November 2022 - 09:03 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 26 November 2022 - 08:56 PM, said:

I knew the costs associated with this WC would be prohibitive, but $356 BILLION?!?!?! :shock:

https://www.news.com...79252ddbc500df1

"The country has spent a reported $356 billion to stage the tournament, including $10 billion on its eight stadiums and a further $54 billion on a rail transport network to connect them all."

OK, I get that it's probably factored in a bunch of infrastructure they were going to build anyway, but holy fucking shit that is an obscene amount of coin.
If $64B covers the rail and the stadiums (stadia?), then wtf did the rest go on?

Judging by their history with Javanka Trumpkin... more bribes for international politicos and their cronies?...

Poor Hunter Biden won't be able to get in on the action though... oh well.

#29214 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 26 November 2022 - 09:04 PM

I read it also has the biggest carbon footprint of all intentional human activity except wars.

And most of the stadiums aren't going to stay as stadiums so there is more building work to come to turn them into shopping malls or whatever.

#29215 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 November 2022 - 09:22 PM

How the hell do you repurpose a 40-80,000 seat soccer stadium?
I'm intrigued at the possibilities and more than a little envious of the imagination and ability of the architects, engineers et al if they can pull it off.

#29216 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 26 November 2022 - 09:28 PM

You can achieve anything if only you have an inexhaustible supply of migrant workers and no respect for workplace health and safety.

#29217 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 November 2022 - 09:30 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 26 November 2022 - 09:22 PM, said:

How the hell do you repurpose a 40-80,000 seat soccer stadium?
I'm intrigued at the possibilities and more than a little envious of the imagination and ability of the architects, engineers et al if they can pull it off.

They have to put the heads somewhere don't they?... and the hands... (IDK about other body parts---only seems logical that they would---oh wait:

'The wisdom behind the prohibition on castration is that it is contrary to what the Lawgiver wants of increasing reproduction to ensure continuation of jihad'

The ruling on castration - Islam Question & Answer (islamqa.info)

They may want to contextualize the 'jihad' there a little more for people less familiar with its meanings....

#29218 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 November 2022 - 09:36 PM

Actually to be fair Qatar enacted a 'two-decade hiatus on the use of capital punishment'... until last year.

Qatar Executed Nepali Man, Ending 20 Year Hiatus

'Qatar retains the death penalty by firing squad or hanging for crimes'---so no beheadings any more (not publicly anyway). The (recent) mass beheadings have been in Saudi Arabia.

Qatar's death row and the invisible migrant workforce deemed unworthy of due process

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 26 November 2022 - 09:39 PM

#29219 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 27 November 2022 - 02:32 AM

2000+ people from my country died building things there for that thing. Yet I am occasionally watching. It's a really complicated thing for me. I have worked a bit to help people not go there and donated to get people out, while also wanting to see some good games.

#29220 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 27 November 2022 - 09:02 AM

It is difficult. I'm hopefully not coming across too judgy as everyone should make their own decision. For example I wasn't too happy watching events in Russia and China over the past few years but I did. Also part of me thinks, well they're going ahead so I might as well but for me, I want to not watch (despite really wanting to get involved haha I love the WC).

I just wish the media made more or a concerted effort to expose and condemn FIFA wherever possible but that was never going to happen.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 1521 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic