What's messing with your groove?

#28101 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 17 September 2021 - 01:20 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 September 2021 - 12:56 PM, said:

View PostLady Bliss, on 17 September 2021 - 12:47 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 16 September 2021 - 04:16 PM, said:

Gabby Petito’s case is getting to me. Just watched the police press conference live.

Just fuck man.

I’ve been watching that too… the bf HAS to be guilty.

I agree. You don't leave your Van-life girlfriend in Wyoming, and then truck HER van all the way home to Florida to your parents place alone, lawyer up and not talk to the cops...if you're not hiding shit.

You may as well be MADE of red flags at that point.

It’s sad that his parents are backing him up. I’m sorry, but if I thought one of my kids may have killed someone, I wouldn’t be on their side.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#28102 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 September 2021 - 06:27 PM

The Petito stuff and the Murdaugh family stuff combined has made all the true crime heads too riled up. It's a powder keg!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28103 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 September 2021 - 07:06 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 16 September 2021 - 01:06 PM, said:

Minor irritation. Had an email from AVG saying "thanks for renewing AVG ultimate we'll charge you £99 on this date." I thought this was a spam email so I didn't think much of it. I had another one telling me it was now renewed a couple of days later. Couldn't see anything suspicious on my bank account so I still thought it was spam.

Today I checked my credit card and realised they charged me on there! I don't ever remember signing up for this or passing details to them. They are going to give me a refund and all but it took me a couple of hours on the phone with them trying to get it fixed before getting there...

Sorry man, we meant to send you LSD but things got confused.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28104 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 September 2021 - 07:48 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 14 September 2021 - 08:11 PM, said:

Damn that sucks. Norm MacDonald was hilarious. His comedic style and pacing was confusing and off-putting to the casual fan of comedy, but if you watched him roll on, most came away in awe of his brilliance. Sad day and a loss of a singular comedic talent.

If you haven't checked out Mike Tyson Mysteries on AS, you should give it a try. Norm MacDonald as Pigeon is aces.

NSFW and definitely not PC. You've been warned.

#28105 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 September 2021 - 11:14 AM

View PostBriar King, on 17 September 2021 - 05:01 PM, said:

Apparently they aren’t ruling out connections to a double murder at a camp ground in the same area Gabby and bf was at. It seems to be the same area where the cops were called on them. Oh shit.

And he fucking ran.

FBI hunting him now.

In case anyone needed further proof this motherfucker was guilty.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28106 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 18 September 2021 - 01:11 PM

View Postworry, on 17 September 2021 - 06:27 PM, said:

The Petito stuff and the Murdaugh family stuff combined has made all the true crime heads too riled up. It's a powder keg!

Anyone got links to a breakdown of what is going on with this? I've not heard anything about it on this side of the world.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28107 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 September 2021 - 11:20 PM

Decided one indoor theater show would be okay with everyone fully vaccinated and masked + me wearing my P100 mask and my new almost airtight unvented goggles (besides, it was about Mallarme's Un coup de dés jamais n'abolira le hasard (A [shot/throw] of dice never will abolish chance(/hazard))). But to get them almost airtight I had to tighten them so much it eventually felt the back of my skull was being crushed in... bit distracting. Didn't stay for the talk-back for once.

Performer was giving the poem the modern mediocre Shakespearean treatment---fast, the words smoothed out so it often sounded like he didn't know what he was saying, lineation generally not just ignored but purposefully avoided (as if that actually made it sound more naturalistic---usually it doesn't) except when doing 'very dramatic' single words (though for this poem that's justified by the lineation---the experimental visual layout of the page and its blank spaces). With a little modern-Shakespearean-actor musicality (not quite like Gielgud, maybe a little later than him) which really works better in RP (... and almost certainly has minimal relation to the exact musicality of Elizabethan practice---for one because the Elizabethans almost certainly relied more on declamatory metrical rhythm, 'trippingly on the tongue' with accented and unaccented syllables, not flowing like an undifferentiated stream---when a later actor started completely ignoring the line breaks in the name of naturalism it was viewed as a major innovation, and the 20th century exacerbated this tendency when clearly 'rhythmical' and/or ringingly rhyming poetry came to be viewed as the province of nursery rhymes, doggerel, and the uneducated masses).

No recordings of Mallarme but his reciting style probably sounded more like this:

Or maybe:

Catering to the audience I'd suppose. Also added a dance number.

Afterwards was looking at some art by the river and a gaggle of girls asked me to take some photos of them on one of their phones. Perhaps I should have said "no you fools, can't you see I don't want to get sick? and IDK where the nearest publicly accessible soap or hand sanitizer dispenser is" but no, I went ahead and did it.)

#28108 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 September 2021 - 01:47 PM

I always find it a bit sad when I see a sign tacked at a street corner advertising an estate sale like it is a weekend garage sale (even though I have no emotional investment and the deceased is a complete stranger). There's something ghoulish about opening up a residence and allowing people to look through and purchase items of the dearly departed. I guess it's a necessary discomfort though, to unburden family and friends of someone's belongings. I've never been to an estate sale. I thought about going to this one. Have any of you guys ever been? What are they like?

#28109 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 19 September 2021 - 10:42 PM

View PostBriar King, on 18 September 2021 - 11:57 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 September 2021 - 11:14 AM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 17 September 2021 - 05:01 PM, said:

Apparently they aren’t ruling out connections to a double murder at a camp ground in the same area Gabby and bf was at. It seems to be the same area where the cops were called on them. Oh shit.

And he fucking ran.

FBI hunting him now.

In case anyone needed further proof this motherfucker was guilty.

I’m 99.8% sure she is dead but I last night when he was declared missing I had a passing thought of “is this stagged for their YouTube fame” cause it’s all a bit crazy.

Body "consistent with the description" of Gabby Petito found:

https://www.news.com...8fddf8e372e8a13

:(
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#28110 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 20 September 2021 - 01:12 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 18 September 2021 - 01:11 PM, said:

Anyone got links to a breakdown of what is going on with this? I've not heard anything about it on this side of the world.

The Petito stuff is basically another example of the news media making a national story out of "young attractive straight white woman goes missing". 543,000 people went missing in the US last year, this one is not national news and that fact the media is treating it so is messing with my groove. If she was Black, First Nations, Asian, gay, transgender, overweight, over forty or had terrible acne nobody here would have ever heard of her.

The US media has taken huge amounts of flak for this sort of thing before, as it promotes this idea that only young attractive straight white people matter. I had hoped they would do a better job of avoiding these sorts of stories.

#28111 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 September 2021 - 01:22 AM

View PostGwynn ap Nudd, on 20 September 2021 - 01:12 AM, said:

The Petito stuff is basically another example of the news media making a national story out of "young attractive straight white woman goes missing". 543,000 people went missing in the US last year, this one is not national news and that fact the media is treating it so is messing with my groove. If she was Black, First Nations, Asian, gay, transgender, overweight, over forty or had terrible acne nobody here would have ever heard of her.

The US media has taken huge amounts of flak for this sort of thing before, as it promotes this idea that only young attractive straight white people matter. I had hoped they would do a better job of avoiding these sorts of stories.

That's exactly it. If she had been born with melanin that made her skin a darker shade, this would not be in the news, it wouldn't register a blip.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 20 September 2021 - 01:29 AM

#28112 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 September 2021 - 02:28 PM

View PostBriar King, on 19 September 2021 - 11:24 PM, said:

I hope Laundrie doesn’t/hasn’t given a gun a blowjob out in the swamp. I want to hear “what happened” before he dies.

I think this post is going to prove pretty prophetic as it sounds like the authorities had some inclination to believe self-harm was in this guys' future. I don't think he's missing anymore. I think he offed himself already.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28113 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:19 PM

I'm sure with this Laundrie fella, the truth'll eventually come out in the wash. Unless the media really turns up its spin cycle.

#28114 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:49 PM

View Postworry, on 20 September 2021 - 06:19 PM, said:

I'm sure with this Laundrie fella, the truth'll eventually come out in the wash. Unless the media really turns up its spin cycle.

It should be noted that he made an inexplicably public Spotify playlist while on the run called "Self-Consumption"....so that's really weird.

#28115 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:34 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 September 2021 - 06:49 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 20 September 2021 - 06:19 PM, said:

It should be noted that he made an inexplicably public Spotify playlist while on the run called "Self-Consumption"....so that's really weird.

Man you'd think he'd be more delicate. But that's the kind of thing that gets the press permanently hooked.

Anyway, I'm not too optimistic about what's coming. Seems like the more investigators to turn up the heat, the more their leads dry up, and their window of opportunity shrinks.

#28116 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 September 2021 - 11:55 PM

Okay, I have to get this gripe off my chest. When engaged in a competition (whatever that may entail), please stop yelling "Lets Go!" when you do something that advances yourself to a victory. If I hear that one more time I'm going to lose it. Besides, every time you say that, Tom Brady gets paid (I think he owns the copyright to it or something). Instead, try yelling "Alright!" (although I think Mathew MicKonagee gets paid if you say that). Or yell "Huzzah!" Or "Have at thee!" instead. Help out a guy who's trying to maintain his sanity and just stop yelling "Lets Go!" Thank you for your consideration.

#28117 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 September 2021 - 03:13 AM

Posted Image

#28118 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 22 September 2021 - 06:34 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 19 September 2021 - 01:47 PM, said:

I always find it a bit sad when I see a sign tacked at a street corner advertising an estate sale like it is a weekend garage sale (even though I have no emotional investment and the deceased is a complete stranger). There's something ghoulish about opening up a residence and allowing people to look through and purchase items of the dearly departed. I guess it's a necessary discomfort though, to unburden family and friends of someone's belongings. I've never been to an estate sale. I thought about going to this one. Have any of you guys ever been? What are they like?

I have been to many. They are a lot of fun, honestly, and it's my preferred method of acquiring things because it keeps the reuse cycle going.

They can be a little strange in that one does get a privileged, relatively uncensored peek into a person's or persons' private life/ves. I recall one estate sale where I opened a bedroom closet. Inside was a film projector alongside several boxes of film reels. I was curious, so I plugged the projector in and popped in a reel. (This is slightly taboo in the estate sale world, though there are never any actual rules against it). The photos were of the couples' trip to Egypt in what looked like the 50s. The next reel, a trip to Japan in probably the 70s. The next reel, Russia (maybe) in the Cold War era. And so on. While this might seem invasive, I see it as helping to preserve the memory of their lives, despite their strangerhood.

I have plenty of furniture, tools, and other gear that are from estate sales. It's another form of secondhand.

#28119 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 September 2021 - 01:50 PM

View PostGwynn ap Nudd, on 20 September 2021 - 01:12 AM, said:

You're right about the race/gender angle and the media idiocy, but i think that the hook was the boyfriend's utterly suspicious, borderline idiotic actions. For all of the 'young pretty white woman goes missing' it was as much 'dumbest criminal ever does dumb things'.

#28120 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 September 2021 - 01:51 PM

View PostBriar King, on 22 September 2021 - 02:54 AM, said:

I stepped on so many frogs last night.

View Postworry, on 22 September 2021 - 03:13 AM, said:

Posted Image

View PostBriar King, on 22 September 2021 - 03:36 AM, said:

I felt so bad. They were all over the place and letting out little "peeps" and I hope I didn't cause fatal damage.

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 1521 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users