• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#28061 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 August 2021 - 08:36 AM

This is why we should build everything with reinforced concrete. Preferably elevated as well. :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#28062 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 August 2021 - 11:37 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 30 August 2021 - 08:36 AM, said:

This is why we should build everything with reinforced concrete. Preferably elevated as well. :p

We will look very Soviet, but we will all be safe!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28063 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 August 2021 - 11:43 AM

#28064 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 30 August 2021 - 12:36 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 August 2021 - 11:37 AM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 30 August 2021 - 08:36 AM, said:

We will look very Soviet, but we will all be safe!

And as an added bonus - highly zombie-resistant.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#28065 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 30 August 2021 - 06:54 PM

The first three weeks of August were quite busy at work due to my co-worker being on vacation. Last week she returned and there was a little less pressure, today she had to call in sick and I had to work late again to work a bit in advance of tomorrow

This post has been edited by Dutch: 30 August 2021 - 06:54 PM

Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#28066 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 04 September 2021 - 02:13 PM

My son is a bit of an adrenaline junkie. He always wants to go higher or faster in whatever he was doing so I let him do quite rough stuff for his age and don't treat him like a snowflake. This afternoon I pushed him really high on the swings at the park and the bloody idiot let go. He did a backwards somersault and face planted the ground. All the other parents in the playground let out an audible gasp as he flew. Blood, snot and tears everywhere.

I have full on parent shame. Kind of slunk out of the park once I worked out he hadn't broken his head. Fortunately once we cleaned it up it's just road rash to the face and arm.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#28067 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 September 2021 - 03:20 PM

View PostBriar King, on 02 September 2021 - 02:44 PM, said:

How is Cause and Azath in Philly and Whisp in NYC?

The emergency alerts were annoying---I assumed the odds of anything actually happening were negligible. Maybe I should have been more neurotic for once....

Walked right over the flood without noticing it apparently. My train was more than an hour late.

My apartment flooded multiple times in the past---it's half underground---but they removed the earth and put in shit to prevent that. Hasn't flooded from the weather since. (Though since they replaced the tree right outside my window with a concrete ramp, now instead of being bothered by birds, I have noisy skateboarders right outside my window....)

Eventually there may be 'dozens of new bridges connecting the islands of Philadelphia. Not every city can spend $100 billion on a sea wall, as New York most likely will.'

https://pulitzercent...7xG5pB1g4rRdJfg

#28068 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 04 September 2021 - 06:42 PM

View PostBriar King, on 04 September 2021 - 05:09 PM, said:

Holy shit my brother is turning it up in an effort to get Betsy from me.

I don’t like this the way I walked into it. Shit.

Surely you can put him off by showing him around inside with a black light?
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#28069 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 September 2021 - 11:45 PM

"Heavens2Betsy"?

#28070 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 September 2021 - 05:01 AM

View PostBriar King, on 05 September 2021 - 01:03 AM, said:

That’s a phrase.

I’m thinking Betty or Belle.

Well if it's Betty don't get it from Birmingham in black.

#28071 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 05 September 2021 - 08:27 AM

had a 3-hour drunk convo with my father. Tried to explain to him how I've suffered a severe adjustment reaction to moving to Canada when I was 12, and how I felt like an ungrateful little shit for years, realizing that my parents largely went to a whole different country for my sake, and I was still hating it here.

My father tried to make me understand that it really wasn't my fault, and I should let that go, and not let those feelings of self-resentment, and lack of self-worth hold me back in how I should want to live my life. (As they have done before, since I've alway operated on the idea that if anyone is motivated to want something, they automatically deserve it more than me).

Intellectually, I understand him; but emotionally, it's hard to admit that the low-key self-loathing I've built the last 22 years of my life have been a mistake.

Why is self-forgiveness so hard?
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#28072 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 September 2021 - 08:45 AM

Because we don't believe we deserve it.

#28073 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 06 September 2021 - 06:35 PM

The ex is fucking with my head today and it is the day when my wife is off drinking, unavailable until tomorrow morning.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#28074 User is online   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 06 September 2021 - 07:12 PM

Im sorry Gust, but what the fuck. Your wife knows you are seriously considering divorce, knows you guys have hella problems and shes fucked off drinking for 2 days?

#28075 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 06 September 2021 - 09:12 PM

View PostMacros, on 06 September 2021 - 07:12 PM, said:

Im sorry Gust, but what the fuck. Your wife knows you are seriously considering divorce, knows you guys have hella problems and shes fucked off drinking for 2 days?

Dude Gust, I know you know this, but thats fucked up. "Off drinking, unavailable" JFC.

And i normally try not to make judgments like that, because if something works for a couple, who am i to judge? But man.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#28076 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 06 September 2021 - 10:01 PM

So pissed off.

First woke up at 04:30 due to the alarm clock of my wife, then I hear darn it, could have put it later. An hour later I wake up again due to her messaging me that she has hit some critter on her way to work but she couldn't see anything wrong with the car.

Tried to sleep for the remaining hour but I didn't succeed, so I was slightly knackered when I got out of bed.

Fast forward to work, was a right mess like the past weeks.

People bothering and distracting me for nothing so I totally messed up an order which ment I had to repack it which took quite some time due to everything needed te be packed separately.

Insert more people bothering me so I kindly told them to fuck off.

Insert an annoying customer demanding one of the office workers bringing them an order today instead of them picking it up tomorrow so I had to process and pack that order in between me fixing the other order.

This led to me working late again while I was already fed up.

When I finally got home I was totally annoyed and didn't look at our car until I took our Boxer lady for her late night walk.

Noticed damage right away and really wondered how the hell she didn't see it.

Grabbed my phone and woke her up by calling her while I went on with the walk knowing she wouldn't be downstairs until I got back home.

When I showed her the damage she told me that she couldn't remember seeing that damage when she checked the car again before going home again, she might have looked at the wrong side.....

Only other explanation is that someone backed into our car with their trailer hitch after she got home, but if they have done that they have cleaned everything up thoroughly since I couldn't find any glass from the corner lower light or any other parts.

This post has been edited by Dutch: 06 September 2021 - 10:08 PM

Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#28077 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 07 September 2021 - 12:30 AM

Fuck man, 2021 is giving 2020 a run for its money. Actor Michael K. Williams died.

He's had many memorable roles. Most recent thing I saw him in was the HBO series Lovecraft Country. Total shock by this news.

#28078 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 07 September 2021 - 12:53 AM

MKW did a ton of things, including dance, choreography, acting in so many brilliant ways, going all over NYC to art events for decades etc. He really lived so many parts of the queer black artistic experience and was always trying to expand our view of him as multifaceted and complex - and yes, that includes drug addiction and depression.

I'll miss him and wish he'd been able to stay longer.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28079 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 07 September 2021 - 03:18 AM

View PostBriar King, on 02 September 2021 - 02:44 PM, said:

How is Cause and Azath in Philly and Whisp in NYC?

I'm alive!

Also, I'm moving to Colorado at the end of the month (whuch is NOT messing with my groove. It's making it groovier).

#28080 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 07 September 2021 - 05:04 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 06 September 2021 - 09:12 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 06 September 2021 - 07:12 PM, said:

Dude Gust, I know you know this, but thats fucked up. "Off drinking, unavailable" JFC.

And i normally try not to make judgments like that, because if something works for a couple, who am i to judge? But man.

Thanks guys. Yeah today was rough but thankfully my sis and bliss were able to listen on the phone during the worst of it. I mean, at this point it is the long game, waiting for a bit more accrual in savings now that I have a super good remote job starting soon, letting the custody battle reach a conclusion at the end of Feb, and giving the couples counseling (on the 16th) a try, as a stupid optimist I am sure. 6 more months and i should have some better direction.

But no, a day like today was stupid and thoughtless on her part, I doubt she even thinks it was a problem. I gather her newer shrink thinks she is either borderline personality or bipolar, which has given me major pause as I think through whether there is anything to salvage. I mean we do have some good days, especially when she has felt bad and tried to be better (short term versus real change, have to see...). But 6 months. Gonna suffer some more and try to enjoy where I can.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

Share this topic:

• 1522 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users