What's messing with your groove?

#26881 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:33 AM

Why won’t traders joe deliver?

I need cookie spread!

—————————

I find it fun to our conspiracy the conspiracy nuts. Go one level deeper then they go.

Also as to why they believe it there is quite a bit of research going on about it, the General finding seems to be that conspiracy theorists have no filter for information. They will essentially believe anything. When exposed to ‘control’ conspiracy theories designed to be rejected so the researchers had a baseline for what was too out there they found conspiracies theorists believed them all. I’ll see if I can find the paper

This post has been edited by Cause: 04 April 2020 - 04:35 AM

#26882 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 April 2020 - 05:30 AM

View PostBriar King, on 02 April 2020 - 04:27 AM, said:

What's worse then having an Oreo break at your fingertips plunging to the bottom of your cup of milk?

Answer
Spoiler

When the Oreo PD shows up to confiscate your cookies.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#26883 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 04 April 2020 - 11:27 AM

View Postamphibian, on 04 April 2020 - 01:52 AM, said:

To be fair, military sonar is damaging and killing whales and dolphins. http://seavoicenews....eaching-whales/

radar =/= sonar
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#26884 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:19 PM

View Poststone monkey, on 04 April 2020 - 11:27 AM, said:

To be fair, military sonar is damaging and killing whales and dolphins. http://seavoicenews....eaching-whales/

radar =/= sonar

Guess who's back? Pedantic monkey's back! *first pump*
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#26885 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 April 2020 - 06:56 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 04 April 2020 - 10:19 PM, said:

View Poststone monkey, on 04 April 2020 - 11:27 AM, said:

radar =/= sonar

Guess who's back? Pedantic monkey's back! *first pump*

Attached File  post-2576-1249392456.jpg (44.09K)
Number of downloads: 0

#26886 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 07 April 2020 - 07:24 PM

Oh dang, pedantic bear! Not thought of him for years!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26887 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 April 2020 - 03:31 AM

Well fuck. I knew when he was hospitalized with coronavirus the prognosis probably wasn't looking good. It still hurts. Will miss John Prine with a heavy heart for quite awhile.

#26888 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 08 April 2020 - 02:31 PM

Oh seeing pedanticbear made me happy
Error: Signature not valid

#26889 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 April 2020 - 02:59 PM

My 70-something, overweight, bad knees, father-in-law decided to rake the leaves (in a yard that he never looks after) during a pandemic...broke his ankle. He's been in the hospital over a week now, and since he was the ONLY full-time caregiver for my terminally ill mother-in-law (who is at home because she didn't want to be put into a palliative care unit; wants to die at home when she goes)...and because my wife's siblings live far away...the lions share of the responsibility for caring for her falls on my wife. She has PSW's coming in for the allotted time per week, but it still means my wife spends parts of each day there (making sure the PSW's know where things are and what to do, eat, as they rotate out a lot) and overnight till 10AM the next day...while also trying to work her incredibly stressful job from home. The kids being out of daycare because of COVID-19 means that the lions share of looking after our 1+ and 3.5+ year old kids falls to me...while I'm also trying to work from home. We've now been doing this for a week and a half...and it's taxing all 4 of us...I don't get to see my wife much, my kids are already stir crazy and hard to manage while working from home...father in law had surgery to repair the broken ankle, and we just found out that he can't weight bear on his other leg (because he's overweight with bad knees) which means he's not allowed to go into in patient rehab...the weight bearing will be 4-6 weeks before he can, he's being put in a transitional place until then AFTER which he will need in-patient rehab of another possible 6 weeks. So this supposedly temporary problem (in the middle of a fucking pandemic remember) has now possibly extended to 12 weeks or more. This means that either we hire a full-time in home caregiver (overnight and all) for my wife's mom which will utterly drain the bank account (theirs, not ours)...or we put her into a palliative care unit (something she didn't want when she could speak and communicate her wishes to us) which would not drain the bank account as it's free obviously, but not something she wanted. That said, IF we did that, our lives would go back to SOME semblance of normal, or at least pandemic normal.

But yeah. It's all just a complete shit show. For once our luck was KIND of being nice to us...we were both working from home, meaning our daycare costs were gone for at least a couple of months which would allow us a bit of breathing room financially...and then this shit happens and destroys our lives.

All because my (generally lazy) father in law wanted to rake fucking leaves.

Anyways, that's the shit I've been dealing with for more than a week now. I complain, but my poor wife has it ten times harder than me going back and forth to their house to help with her mom...

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 08 April 2020 - 03:01 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26890 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 08 April 2020 - 05:39 PM

That's an absolutely terrible situation. Given that the father in law is already out for 12 weeks at best and possibly longer if there are any hitches or non compliance on his part, I think moving her into palliative care seems like the best move - because getting an in-home caregiver now is going to take a long time and may take a few tries before a good fit is found.

It's a very hard decision and I'm an outsider, but the demands of kids + your jobs + getting her the best care possible makes this seem like getting help in a full time way as quickly as possible would be very nice.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#26891 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:30 PM

View Postamphibian, on 08 April 2020 - 05:39 PM, said:

That's an absolutely terrible situation. Given that the father in law is already out for 12 weeks at best and possibly longer if there are any hitches or non compliance on his part, I think moving her into palliative care seems like the best move - because getting an in-home caregiver now is going to take a long time and may take a few tries before a good fit is found.

It's a very hard decision and I'm an outsider, but the demands of kids + your jobs + getting her the best care possible makes this seem like getting help in a full time way as quickly as possible would be very nice.

I agree with you about the palliative care unit being the best...the boot my wife very good friend and former colleague is in charge of the palliative care unit at one of the hospitals in the city...so she could help look out for her mom there...as well when the father goes into in-patient rehab for his ankle, we can get him in at the very same hospital, in which case he could visit her while he's rehabbing. The problem lay in the fact that my mother-in-law, when she was well, was very stubborn about the fact that she wanted to be at home, and die at home. But that was 5 or so years ago, and her disease has a life expectancy that is shorter than she's lived (she's a tough lady)...so she's already been having PSW's for about 28 hours every week (at a cost as that sort of thing isn't free here)...but my father in law seems to want my wife to ask her mom what she wants....and the problem with that is she can't move or speak to communicate her wishes any longer...we even had an assessment done on her cognition and she was wishy washy with answers so they ruled that she's not "with it" enough to make sound decisions. So the kids and father want to try to honour her wishes about her staying at home...but in my mind I feel like saying "Well that was before your dad broke his ankle".

I told my wife I will continue doing this as long as she needs. What else am I going to do? But I HOPE they put her in care, even if it's temporary for like 3 months. It makes everyone's lives infinitely easier, and it means the money stays put.

Thanks for your comment nonetheless. I appreciate them. It's been a rough situation since she got ill....and it always falls on my wife because her sister lives in another province...and her bother lives a few hours away, is going through a costly divorce and is trying to run a business...it's not fair, but it is what it is. I'm just supporting as much as I can...but I'm also being vocal about the stuff that isn't cool or fair becuase my wife appreciates that outlet herself.

View PostBriar King, on 08 April 2020 - 05:50 PM, said:

How far from the realm of possibility would it be if y’all working from home anyway to temporarily just stay there while he recovers?

The problem with that is two-fold.

1. During the pandemic my kids and I could be asymptomatic carriers...and if my MIL gets this, she will perish. The two ways you die form her disease are organ failure, or more often pneumonia and aspiration. So if she gets covid-19...game over. I don't want to put her at that risk. It's bad enough my wife has to go in now.

2. Their house is...QUITE cluttered, and has many stairs...my daughter is fine there at almost 4 years old, but my son is just past walking/running stage and still falls all the time....those stairs AND clutter are a straight up hazard. Any time we go there my job is always just to mind my son and follow him round, becuase otherwise he will injure himself. I have always disliked visiting for that reason, that house is not built to house toddlers.

My wife offered to live there, but the problem with that is that I won't see her for 3 months. It's already bad now as for the last 1.5 weeks she leaves here after the kids are in bed at 7PM, and comes back at 10AM the next day...meaning our time which is usually from the kids bedtime till our own, is now nonexistent. Which taxes our relationship.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26892 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 April 2020 - 03:58 AM

QT... that bites. Your heads in the right place... support her and keep your kids and home as healthy as possible. None of this is easy right now, but it WILL pass.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#26893 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:43 AM

View PostAbyss, on 09 April 2020 - 03:58 AM, said:

QT... that bites. Your heads in the right place... support her and keep your kids and home as healthy as possible. None of this is easy right now, but it WILL pass.

Thanks man. :)

#26894 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 09 April 2020 - 05:28 PM

People in my town: Distance? Who that? Never heard of her. Is she nice?!

:admin:

The whole distance thing worked for like two days, then the weather got nicer and everyone figured it's their godgiven right in particular to be outside, in the few shops that are open and have their kids run around like the nasty little rats they are. It's like, they will keep the requiered distance when standing in line for the cash register, but everyone and their dog AND their equally stupid kids will run BETWEEN the people standing in line because hey, look, there's free space! :nuke:
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#26895 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 09 April 2020 - 05:45 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 April 2020 - 11:43 AM, said:

QT - can you term the palliative care as "respite care" instead? Put a time limit on it, it's just for a break. Or is the fear that she will die in there and they accidentally break her main wish? Or they slip into leaving her there? Depending on the woman she was before she was ill, if she saw everyone struggling so much wouldn't she be willing to do a spell away from home?

So rough though! I feel for you. And you can't complain at home even though you have a lot to complain about.

#26896 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:49 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 09 April 2020 - 05:45 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 April 2020 - 11:43 AM, said:

QT - can you term the palliative care as "respite care" instead? Put a time limit on it, it's just for a break. Or is the fear that she will die in there and they accidentally break her main wish? Or they slip into leaving her there? Depending on the woman she was before she was ill, if she saw everyone struggling so much wouldn't she be willing to do a spell away from home?

So rough though! I feel for you. And you can't complain at home even though you have a lot to complain about.

She never liked hospitals...back when she was well and had knee surgery I visited her every day of the two weeks she was there after and every single day "They said I can leave today. I'm leaving today."...which was never accurate, but come hell or high water she wanted out of there. So I think it's more that they know shed hate being there...I also think they fear her dying there. I feel like they could put her into the palliative ward and take her out again after...but it sounds like they aren't going to do it. Shrug.

I try not to complain for those reasons. It's tough. Thanks for the support. Sounds like they are going the route of a full time caregiver and pay the coin. It is what it is. That said, the caregiver they are considering for the position is a really great woman who just happens to be looking for a more full time position so that she can help her family in the Philippines to move here including her kids, so we may be benefitting that goal for someone, so that's a nice silver lining.

#26897 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 09 April 2020 - 09:26 PM

I have clients who require full time care in teams and you may have some idea of how lucky it is to have this solid a candidate before the search is official. Jump on that immediately. Wow. That's so good for all of you.

#26898 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:04 PM

How long has anyone been in lockdown with their partner? We're 3 weeks in and I'm going to fucking kill him. He hasn't even done anything wrong. He's just THERE. All the time!!!!!

#26899 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:13 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 09 April 2020 - 10:04 PM, said:

How long has anyone been in lockdown with their partner? We're 3 weeks in and I'm going to fucking kill him. He hasn't even done anything wrong. He's just THERE. All the time!!!!!

We're on week 3 of lockdown, and on week 5 of little miss Cyphon being here. I'm not sure how we're both still sane...
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#26900 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:54 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 09 April 2020 - 10:04 PM, said:

Started March 12th. So almost a full month.

Share this topic:

• 1521 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users