• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#25681 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 March 2019 - 07:35 AM

My workplace has a policy that passwords have to change every month. I am absolutely positive that this probably compromises security more than it helps because no one can remember 12 alpha numeric passwords a year. So like me we probably all stick with something and then modify the last digit.

Worse I know people who do variations of this password1 ... Password12.

Pointless and annoying. The worst combination

#25682 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:00 AM

View PostCause, on 25 March 2019 - 07:35 AM, said:

My workplace has a policy that passwords have to change every month. I am absolutely positive that this probably compromises security more than it helps because no one can remember 12 alpha numeric passwords a year. So like me we probably all stick with something and then modify the last digit.

Just write it down in a notebook you keep at your desk. The people whom would theoretically break into your computer for information will never be physically present at your desk, nor spend time riffling through your notebooks.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#25683 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:07 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 25 March 2019 - 08:00 AM, said:

Just write it down in a notebook you keep at your desk. The people whom would theoretically break into your computer for information will never be physically present at your desk, nor spend time riffling through your notebooks.

OBJECTION!

What if the notebook is the murder weapon?
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#25684 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:10 AM

This is the plot of Deus Ex!

#25685 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:33 AM

View PostCause, on 25 March 2019 - 08:10 AM, said:

This is the plot of Deus Ex!

Bravery is not a function of firepower.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#25686 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:47 AM

This is what I do. A password notebook kept in a locked drawer

#25687 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 25 March 2019 - 12:43 PM

Just a random question, uhhh, what's the address of your work place and do you employ a cleaning company? Just curious.

#25688 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 March 2019 - 06:27 PM

They call it a password, not a passalphanumericcode.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#25689 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 25 March 2019 - 09:07 PM

My employers are always trying to get us to do better passwords. I usually ignore them. I alter a 3 digit code at the end of a made up word, damnit, I'm smart. But one of their hints and tips was quite good - it said to use the first letter of each word of a phrase, title or song lyric. I Like Big Butts And I Cannot Lie worked well for me for a while.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#25690 User is offline   pathos 

• Captain
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 26 March 2019 - 05:58 AM

View PostCause, on 24 March 2019 - 02:29 PM, said:

I collect fountain pens, sorta.

I have a bunch of cheap / cheapish ones that I haven't really looked at in a long time since I got one really nice one. However they are not necessarily cheap by pen standards. Anyway I spent some time looking at what to throw away, what to sell and what to take to america. I have the pens in a cool pen holder on my desk and I just decided to look at them and make sure they were all de-inked since I have just been storing them for a long time. They are all de inked. Great. However I noticed my two Lamy Safari pens (30$ each) are broken. The ones nib is missing and the others is bent backwards. I definitely didn't do it. My best guess is my nephew did it and then my sister put my pens back and didn't tell me. Don't know who else it could have been.

Confronting her will probably be met with a denial, which wont be hard since I don't know when last I looked at these pens. So did it happen yesterday or months ago. I just hate it when people dont treat my things with the same respect they treat their own.

This is also reminding me of when my nephew used to play with my glass bottles of ink and I always used to shout at her, it was obviously a disaster waiting to happen and she didn't seem to think so. The inevitable happened and to this day I dont know how I got so lucky that it broke in a draw and didn't stain anything else and she managed to clean it up fairly easilly. Still it was like watching someone stick their hand in a fire after you warned them that fire is hot. How the hell none of it goton the carpet...

You leaving our sunny shores Cause? For good? 5-5 days of load shedding for 4 hours and you just up and leave? :p
You never have the same problem twice when you set it on fire

#25691 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:56 AM

View Postpathos, on 26 March 2019 - 05:58 AM, said:

I have a bunch of cheap / cheapish ones that I haven't really looked at in a long time since I got one really nice one. However they are not necessarily cheap by pen standards. Anyway I spent some time looking at what to throw away, what to sell and what to take to america. I have the pens in a cool pen holder on my desk and I just decided to look at them and make sure they were all de-inked since I have just been storing them for a long time. They are all de inked. Great. However I noticed my two Lamy Safari pens (30$ each) are broken. The ones nib is missing and the others is bent backwards. I definitely didn't do it. My best guess is my nephew did it and then my sister put my pens back and didn't tell me. Don't know who else it could have been.

Confronting her will probably be met with a denial, which wont be hard since I don't know when last I looked at these pens. So did it happen yesterday or months ago. I just hate it when people dont treat my things with the same respect they treat their own.

This is also reminding me of when my nephew used to play with my glass bottles of ink and I always used to shout at her, it was obviously a disaster waiting to happen and she didn't seem to think so. The inevitable happened and to this day I dont know how I got so lucky that it broke in a draw and didn't stain anything else and she managed to clean it up fairly easilly. Still it was like watching someone stick their hand in a fire after you warned them that fire is hot. How the hell none of it goton the carpet...

You leaving our sunny shores Cause? For good? 5-5 days of load shedding for 4 hours and you just up and leave? :p

It was 8 hours a day twice a week! But I won a greencard and I am gonna try it!

Also you know Zuma, Guptas, 500 billion rands worth of corruption, The eff, land expropriation etc etc

#25692 User is offline   pathos 

• Captain
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:04 AM

View PostCause, on 26 March 2019 - 09:56 AM, said:

View Postpathos, on 26 March 2019 - 05:58 AM, said:

It was 8 hours a day twice a week! But I won a greencard and I am gonna try it!

Also you know Zuma, Guptas, 500 billion rands worth of corruption, The eff, land expropriation etc etc

Haha. Ja man. Was really not fun last week at all. Congrats and good luck man. Hope it works out for you. Only been there on holiday but was an awesome holiday.
You never have the same problem twice when you set it on fire

#25693 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 26 March 2019 - 12:13 PM

I can't tell if this is tongue in cheek or not, but this is very very bad advice.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#25694 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 26 March 2019 - 12:48 PM

Just write it on a post it note and hang it on the screen.

#25695 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 26 March 2019 - 02:41 PM

View PostAptorian, on 26 March 2019 - 12:48 PM, said:

I settled for Password10

I used to have a cool alpha numeric password but then IT added more weird rules and the system rejected my password because two of the 8 randomly chosen numbers were sequential.

I mean why their password algorithm rejects something like 4sed346g but allows password10 is beyond me. So I stopped caring. I should add there is literally nothing on my computer worth stealing

This post has been edited by Cause: 26 March 2019 - 02:44 PM

#25696 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 26 March 2019 - 02:54 PM

Fuck but I rest dislike London.
Last minute train cancellations leaves me late, badly late, so late I have to take a fucking taxi. My Destination is approx 10 miles away and it's going to take an hour.
And the cost will be a the convenient total of 'rape' I should imagine.
Fuck I can't wait to get shot of this hell hole

#25697 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:27 AM

Minor whinge, but putting up with (i.e. not saying anything) things that I wouldn't normally in any other social situation just to avoid friction at D&D sessions is becoming frustrating. They're still great fun other than that, and I get on really well with the other members of the group, but we've got one socially awkward one making off colour jokes and treading the line very finely between being a dick "in character" and just generally.

It would probably help a great deal if it wasn't the case that I used to volunteer (at the bird place) with his mother who is overbearing as hell and in the habit of messaging me every few sessions/when we've done something as a group whinging about how he doesn't have many friends and it's the highlight of his week, "thank you so much for being his friend". I shudder to think how mortified I'd be if I found one of my parents doing that, at any age.

Aside from now not replying in the hope she'll pack it in, I haven't really got the heart to tell her I at least just tolerate him and I think it's the same for at least half the others.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 27 March 2019 - 08:45 AM

- Wyrd biğ ful aræd -

#25698 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 27 March 2019 - 04:09 PM

View PostAptorian, on 26 March 2019 - 12:48 PM, said:

You're joking, but that's what everyone does where I work. I have the decency to leave my post it note in a drawer of my desk, but yeah, at least I have no access to important data, I'm just a pixel pusher.

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 27 March 2019 - 06:27 AM, said:

Minor whinge, but putting up with (i.e. not saying anything) things that I wouldn't normally in any other social situation just to avoid friction at D&D sessions is becoming frustrating. They're still great fun other than that, and I get on really well with the other members of the group, but we've got one socially awkward one making off colour jokes and treading the line very finely between being a dick "in character" and just generally.

It would probably help a great deal if it wasn't the case that I used to volunteer (at the bird place) with his mother who is overbearing as hell and in the habit of messaging me every few sessions/when we've done something as a group whinging about how he doesn't have many friends and it's the highlight of his week, "thank you so much for being his friend". I shudder to think how mortified I'd be if I found one of my parents doing that, at any age.

Aside from now not replying in the hope she'll pack it in, I haven't really got the heart to tell her I at least just tolerate him and I think it's the same for at least half the others.

Uuh, I feel you. We've had some social awkwardness/trouble in my D&D group as well last year and it was really grating to have to keep silent. Is there any chance of a "Guys, we gotta talk"-situation happening? I don't mean for you to break the issue suddenly, more like, if you know other group members feel the same or similarly, you could approach them and see if they would be willing to sit down and talk all together with this guy? He may not be aware and this way, at least, you can always say you tried it?

We used to have an issue where one guy would CONSTANTLY derail the game with his nonsense shenagigans, to the point where if we had a less lenient DM, our party would've been dead ten times over. We sat him down and talked it over once. Didn't help any despite his claims to the contrary. So we did it again. The end result was that two people left the group voluntarily (the other one way this guy's best friend who was not invested in the game anyway), but at least we're now making ingame progress and getting somewhere and everyone is much less on edge. On the one hand, it's a pity to lose people whom we didn't mind hanging out with outside of D&D, but the game and everyone's enjoyment of it was suffering, even that guy's game, because the DM at some point just stopped giving a fuck about engaging with his nonsense.

I understand that you may not want any issues with this guy's mother ahould he end up leaving, but as I understand it, you don't volunteer at the the bird place anymore, and at some point, her adult son needs to learn to deal with people.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#25699 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 27 March 2019 - 04:21 PM

View PostPuck, on 27 March 2019 - 04:09 PM, said:

Uuh, I feel you. We've had some social awkwardness/trouble in my D&D group as well last year and it was really grating to have to keep silent. Is there any chance of a "Guys, we gotta talk"-situation happening? I don't mean for you to break the issue suddenly, more like, if you know other group members feel the same or similarly, you could approach them and see if they would be willing to sit down and talk all together with this guy? He may not be aware and this way, at least, you can always say you tried it?

We used to have an issue where one guy would CONSTANTLY derail the game with his nonsense shenagigans, to the point where if we had a less lenient DM, our party would've been dead ten times over. We sat him down and talked it over once. Didn't help any despite his claims to the contrary. So we did it again. The end result was that two people left the group voluntarily (the other one way this guy's best friend who was not invested in the game anyway), but at least we're now making ingame progress and getting somewhere and everyone is much less on edge. On the one hand, it's a pity to lose people whom we didn't mind hanging out with outside of D&D, but the game and everyone's enjoyment of it was suffering, even that guy's game, because the DM at some point just stopped giving a fuck about engaging with his nonsense.

I understand that you may not want any issues with this guy's mother ahould he end up leaving, but as I understand it, you don't volunteer at the the bird place anymore, and at some point, her adult son needs to learn to deal with people.

Cheers Puck - you always have something sensible to say! :p

I suspect we're heading in a "let's talk" direction because you can sense the edge in everyone, and the DM has said plenty of times he wants the game to be a comfortable space for everyone so I could well see him being the instigator of said talk in the end. I very much read Mr Socially Awkward as the type to immediately cry being "picked on" but he could surprise me.

Eurgh, that guys sounds marvellous! Ours has derailed the game a couple of times but nothing spectacular as yet, although I could imagine it at some stage!

You're correct, I'm not there any more and as such I see her significantly less. And I wholeheartedly agree - her constantly giving him the excuse to not learn to deal with being an adult does him no favours. I just find the dynamic odd and almost having a note of desperation to it - she tried very hard to hint at me and another late-20 something lass at the centre to date him (again: shudder) and just seems tone deaf to the idea that adults do not have to like someone just because you'd really like them to do so :p

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 27 March 2019 - 04:22 PM

- Wyrd biğ ful aræd -

#25700 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 27 March 2019 - 04:27 PM

I think the first recourse is to talk to the leader of the D&D game being played and see how they use their position of authority over the game to attempt resolution. Holding tongues for long times over off color jokes usually leads to a sense by the person making the jokes that this is tacitly welcome.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 1522 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users