• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#29861 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 June 2023 - 07:06 PM

Math/measure theoretic probability textbook marketed for 'self-study' is full of errors not included in the errata and skips lots of steps while getting what 'work' it does show wrong.

For example it uses integration by parts in a proof but has 'v' where it should say 'dv/dx' and omits the algebra that would demonstrate its error... it would be easy to follow along if it showed more of the steps, but checking this shit is tedious.

It doesn't help that the usual formula for integration by parts is needlessly confusing: integral u dv = vu - integral v du instead of the equivalent formula u (dv/dx) dx = integral v (du/dx) dx which is easier to remember and re-derive (because by the product rule d(uv)/dx = u(dv/dx)+v(du/dx) so taking antiderivative of both sides we get uv = integral (u (dv/dx) + v (du/dx)) dx which by linearity of the integral = integral u (dv/dx) dx + integral v (du/dx) dx

#29862 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 June 2023 - 04:36 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 25 June 2023 - 07:06 PM, said:

Math/measure theoretic probability textbook marketed for 'self-study' is full of errors not included in the errata and skips lots of steps while getting what 'work' it does show wrong.

For example it uses integration by parts in a proof but has 'v' where it should say 'dv/dx' and omits the algebra that would demonstrate its error... it would be easy to follow along if it showed more of the steps, but checking this shit is tedious.

It doesn't help that the usual formula for integration by parts is needlessly confusing: integral u dv = vu - integral v du instead of the equivalent formula u (dv/dx) dx = integral v (du/dx) dx which is easier to remember and re-derive (because by the product rule d(uv)/dx = u(dv/dx)+v(du/dx) so taking antiderivative of both sides we get uv = integral (u (dv/dx) + v (du/dx)) dx which by linearity of the integral = integral u (dv/dx) dx + integral v (du/dx) dx

AV are you high as fuck or did you get hacked?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#29863 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 June 2023 - 04:38 PM

View Postamphibian, on 25 June 2023 - 04:45 PM, said:

I'd be keeping the dog in the cab of the truck rather than the bed. So much safer, especially if anything happens to the driver (accident etc).

This.
I know dogs in the back of the truck is some kind of beautiful image but along w hanging their heads out the window it's really just a nice, convenient, low effort way to injure your dog.

#29864 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 June 2023 - 08:09 PM

View PostAbyss, on 26 June 2023 - 04:36 PM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 25 June 2023 - 07:06 PM, said:

AV are you high as fuck or did you get hacked?

I do like listening to mathematicians who are tripping on LSD and talking about cutting edge geometries.

Simple as it is by comparison, calculus is ravishingly beautiful---and sublime.

But the standard integration by parts formula is ugly and obfuscatory. Whereas the expression using dv/dx / du/dx is claire, luxe, et volupté.

Of course Riemann, probably best known in the popular imagination for non-Euclidean geometry (eventually leading to the non-Euclidean geometry of General Relativity), is also who the standard elementary calculus integral is named after....

In measure theoretic probability, the Lebesgue integral beautifully turns the Riemann integral on its head and inside out---instead of infinitely shrinking rectangles rising from the x axis down to vertical strips to get arbitrarily close to the area under the curve, it assigns a length-like 'measure' to the inverse image of the y values (so the x value can discontinuously jump around infinitely often, instead of being a continuous rectangle) and if certain conditions are met (also required for Riemann integration) then gets arbitrarily close to the area under the curve with an enumerably infinite sequence of weighted sums of finite sequences.

(Measure theory is necessary for a rigorous understanding of modern probability theory.)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 26 June 2023 - 09:13 PM

#29865 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 June 2023 - 09:09 PM

Answer: high as fuck. ;)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#29866 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 29 June 2023 - 04:26 PM

A Philadelphia History Museum Is Welcoming a Right-Wing Moms Group This Weekend. [...]

This Thursday through Sunday, Moms for Liberty will host its annual Joyful Warriors summit in Philadelphia. Speakers include [...] Trump and [...] DeSantis. Included in the summit is a gathering scheduled to take place in a rented space at the Museum of the American Revolution [...]

[...] The museum's decision to host an organization that has been labeled a "hate group" [...] has generated outrage throughout the historical community. Over the past few weeks, a number of organizations [...] have published statements denouncing Moms for Liberty and the museum's plans.

[... M4L's] track record "of engaging with white supremacist groups to intimidate school boards." [...]

"Because fostering understanding within a democratic society is so central to our mission," a [museum] spokesperson said, "rejecting visitors on the basis of ideology would be antithetical to our purpose."

Moms for Liberty protest in Philadelphia: Why a history museum is hosting the group. (slate.com)

Oh ffs what are they going to host next a Neo-Nazi summit? KKK?...

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 29 June 2023 - 04:26 PM

#29867 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 29 June 2023 - 04:34 PM

Though I guess it gives a silver lining to the wildfire smoke returning... bet they'll be refusing to wear masks.

#29868 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 29 June 2023 - 04:46 PM

Well, your gods damned Canadian smoke has made it to Southern Illinois. Thanks Canada.

It’s not really that bad, just makes it look foggy all day.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 30 June 2023 - 01:45 AM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#29869 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 June 2023 - 04:51 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 29 June 2023 - 04:46 PM, said:

Well, your gods damned Canadian smoke has made it to Southern Illinois. Thanks Canada.

It’s not really that bad, just makes it look foggy all day.

It's bad, and we are sorry. I wish it were better, but our Conservative shitbag premier/walking potato man cut funding to the forest fire task force over a year ago...and now he acts surprised that we can't seem to get them under control.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29870 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 29 June 2023 - 08:22 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 29 June 2023 - 04:46 PM, said:

It's not really that bad, just makes it look foggy all day.

You're welcome, eh.
Sorry.

#29871 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 June 2023 - 10:55 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 29 June 2023 - 04:26 PM, said:

A Philadelphia History Museum Is Welcoming a Right-Wing Moms Group This Weekend. [...]

This Thursday through Sunday, Moms for Liberty will host its annual Joyful Warriors summit in Philadelphia. Speakers include [...] Trump and [...] DeSantis. Included in the summit is a gathering scheduled to take place in a rented space at the Museum of the American Revolution [...]

[...] The museum's decision to host an organization that has been labeled a "hate group" [...] has generated outrage throughout the historical community. Over the past few weeks, a number of organizations [...] have published statements denouncing Moms for Liberty and the museum's plans.

[... M4L's] track record "of engaging with white supremacist groups to intimidate school boards." [...]

"Because fostering understanding within a democratic society is so central to our mission," a [museum] spokesperson said, "rejecting visitors on the basis of ideology would be antithetical to our purpose."

Moms for Liberty protest in Philadelphia: Why a history museum is hosting the group. (slate.com)

Oh ffs what are they going to host next a Neo-Nazi summit? KKK?...

What do you mean 'next'? Moms For Liberty did just literally quote Hitler on their newsletter. It was one chapter in Indiana, but still, it's 100% their MO everywhere. Saw someone a few days ago call them Klanned Karenhood.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#29872 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 30 June 2023 - 12:30 AM

They’re worse than that damned Canadien smoke.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#29873 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 June 2023 - 01:10 AM

Speaking of Canadian smoke, RIP to Sue Johanson — trailblazing Canadian sex educator and RN who even Americans were lucky to see on TV for a few years. She was no doubt responsible for sparking many a (safe and fun) Canadian house fire.

#29874 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 30 June 2023 - 03:58 AM

View Postworry, on 30 June 2023 - 01:10 AM, said:

Speaking of Canadian smoke, RIP to Sue Johanson — trailblazing Canadian sex educator and RN who even Americans were lucky to see on TV for a few years. She was no doubt responsible for sparking many a (safe and fun) Canadian house fire.

that woman WAS fire.

#29875 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 30 June 2023 - 07:24 AM

Physio confirmed yesterday evening I've torn an adductor muscle. Not a bad tear, all told, and I've got exercises to do for three weeks with a follow up. Frustrating when the LOTR challenge has been going so well, but better three weeks off everything now than it gets worse and ends up being much longer.

The downside is I'm definitely an "exercises lots for sanity" person, so this is going to be a fun three weeks. Everybody pity Mr Not a Blacksmith, quick Posted Image

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 30 June 2023 - 03:36 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#29876 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 30 June 2023 - 03:04 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 30 June 2023 - 07:24 AM, said:

Physio confirmed yesterday evening I've torn an abductor muscle. Not a bad tear, all told, and I've got exercises to do for three weeks with a follow up. Frustrating when the LOTR challenge has been going so well,...

oh ffs TRB, you tried to simply walk into Mordor, didn't you?

#29877 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 June 2023 - 03:23 PM

Posted Image

#29878 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 30 June 2023 - 03:35 PM

View PostAbyss, on 30 June 2023 - 03:04 PM, said:

Physio confirmed yesterday evening I've torn an abductor muscle. Not a bad tear, all told, and I've got exercises to do for three weeks with a follow up. Frustrating when the LOTR challenge has been going so well,...

Guilty! Posted Image

View Postworry, on 30 June 2023 - 03:23 PM, said:

Posted Image

Have I mentioned you guys are the best? Posted Image
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#29879 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 30 June 2023 - 07:22 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 30 June 2023 - 03:35 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 30 June 2023 - 03:04 PM, said:

Guilty! Posted Image

View Postworry, on 30 June 2023 - 03:23 PM, said:

Posted Image

Have I mentioned you guys are the best? Posted Image

Hmm my theory lies more in the direction of "you were fangirling way too hard over Iron Maiden and somehow hurt your yourself!" You did, didn't you?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#29880 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 01 July 2023 - 02:52 PM

I don’t mean to whine, but I woke up to a text from mom this morning saying that she wasn’t sure where she has been the last month or whether she has remembered to take care of her dog. All I could do was assure her that she has been busy and that she talked about her dog every day to me. I hate this.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

Share this topic:

• 1521 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users