• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#28841 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 19 July 2022 - 08:18 AM

The difference in tolerance is astounding though. My cleaner has insisted on coming - she travels by bike. I offered to make all manner of changes so she didn't have to be here at this point of the heatwave but she's totally up for it. She's upstairs vacuuming away right now while the rest us in the house are acting like it's an apocalypse!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#28842 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 July 2022 - 11:06 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 19 July 2022 - 07:54 AM, said:

Mass hysteria perhaps, but 40C is unprecedented for us - Southern Europe might get those temperatures all summer, but we're used to summers of 25C with maybe a peak at 28C. As a nation we are not used to heat above that, let alone 40C. It's 9:00am and I'm already struggling to function at all. I have no clue how I'll cope with work today, especially in the afternoon when the peak is set to hit.

Oh, I totally concur with that. for the UK these temps are uncanny and the country isn't set up to deal with them. I hope it is a real eye-opener for those people who still dare to claim that climate change isn't a real thing. This will become the norm in the next years, and that is even when we do manage to act now because we are already so far behind the curve.

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#28843 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 19 July 2022 - 12:01 PM

The Spanish do not have a handle on this level of heat: "At least 748 heat-related deaths have been reported in the heat wave in Spain and neighboring Portugal, where temperatures reached 117 degrees this month." https://www.usatoday...uk/10087274002/

I continue to be on the high horse of "this is dangerous and not overblown despite your experience of two buildings of relative comfort".

This post has been edited by amphibian: 19 July 2022 - 12:02 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28844 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 19 July 2022 - 12:18 PM

Hopefully the humidity is low.

I can't emphasise this enough and you've probably heard it so much it's a cliche, but please stay hydrated (including electrolytes) and out of the direct sun as much as you can. Sound blitheringly obvious? Well, you might be surprised at the numbers of people even over here and in other hotter nations that get it wrong, so I expect Pomgolia would be much worse.

Fans are good if you get sweaty but again, keep hydrated. Fan + water in a spray bottle is good, just not anywhere you can't have a bit of damp. Tiled kitchens, covered areas etc are fine.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 19 July 2022 - 12:24 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#28845 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 July 2022 - 12:42 PM

People here alas are stupid.
There will be mass heat stroke, third degree burns and worse.

#28846 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 July 2022 - 01:32 PM

And sunstroke/heatstroke EASILY can be deadly. Take care out there people in the UK.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28847 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 19 July 2022 - 02:42 PM

In not someone who deals well with heat (being a big hairy bloke from the North of England, I'm much more at home in the cold) so I'm always careful to stay hydrated and in the shade where possible. Harder to stop my three year old running around and not caring about the heat haha

The worst part for me is wearing a stab vest at work...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28848 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 July 2022 - 03:25 PM

'Fires are burning across Spain, France, and Portugal as Europeans take shelter from the unprecedented heat

Wildfires spawned by Europe's deadly heatwave are creating harrowing situations for humans across the region and surpassing predictions not expected for 30 years.

A man in Spain was engulfed in flames [...] while he dug a trench in an attempt to stop a raging wildfire from reaching the northwestern town [...] Video of the terrifying incident shows the flames closing in on him and catching his clothing as he ran[...]

The same fire terrified passengers traveling from Madrid [...] a day earlier when flames suddenly jumped the tracks, surrounding several train cars.

[...]
In Portugal [...] More than 1,000 people have died in fire-related incidents since the heatwave began eight days ago[...]

[...] Fires are also raging in Morocco, Crete, Croatia and Greece and a number of Europe's most important rivers—the Rhine [...] and the Po[...] are drying up[...] threatening hydroelectric plants and hampering irrigation systems. The Rhine, which is a major transport waterway, is too low for cargo ships in several spots[...]

[...] southern Europe is now experiencing "very high levels" of surface ozone pollution, particularly in northern Italy and the Iberian Peninsula. "The potential impacts of very high ozone pollution on human health can be considerable both in terms of respiratory and cardiovascular illness," [...] "Higher values can lead to symptoms such as [...] coughing[...]"'

Scenes From Europe's Heat Horror Show a Man on Fire and a Train Surrounded by Spain's Wildfires (thedailybeast.com)

... which will increase transmission of Covid-19... but one slight silver lining: more people might finally get more effective masks. Hopefully reusable ones, like elastomeric P100 masks.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 19 July 2022 - 03:25 PM

#28849 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 19 July 2022 - 06:10 PM

Heat stroke is no fun. I've done that to myself on a hot day thinking I was immortal.

It's actually almost that hot these days and my partner is watering outside plants at 1 pm, not listening to me about evening watering, not being out during the blistering sun times etc. Then complaining that she feels terrible and exhausted. I try to empathize, remind her of the better coping strategies, and take care of what I can do.

The dogs and I are doing the heavy walks in the early mornings and later evenings. Plus going to visit my parents and brother indoors, which was a big hit for everyone.

#28850 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 July 2022 - 08:02 PM

It's nothing to toy with. I approached that level when I worked a landscaping job summer out of high school. After a scorching hot day of laying rock and digging holes for trees and shrubs, I ended up dry heaving all evening when I got home and had chills like I was feverish. I was heaving so much so that I swear I was bringing up the lining of my stomach because the only thing I produced was a gross, muscusy substance. My dad didn't know what to do, except drive to the pharmacy and buy all manner of over the counter remedies, like Pepto Bismol, Alka-Seltzer, etc. Of course none of that works for heat exhaustion. Don't be a tough guy and act like you can take it, it's not fun when that tough guy mentality backfires.

#28851 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 20 July 2022 - 07:11 AM

The indoor temperature peaked at 30C yesterday before it started to cool around 9pm. I feel like I've been tortured. Trying to fathom how anything gets done in countries where that isn't bonkers.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#28852 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 July 2022 - 07:22 AM

Lovin this forecast...
Posted Image

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28853 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 20 July 2022 - 07:45 AM

A way I've dealt with heat yesterday:

1) soak bath towels in cold water
2) remove, wring out, drain out so the towel isn't dripping but remains damp to the point of being moist
3) wear like a poncho

I tell you what - it worked REALLY well.

As to temeperatures overall - we had wildfires nearby, a few houses locally caught fire, some have been destroyed. Road outside the house melted a little, there's tyre marks where the newish tarmac has been redistributed a bit.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#28854 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 July 2022 - 12:04 PM

View Postworry, on 20 July 2022 - 07:22 AM, said:

Lovin this forecast...
Posted Image

Got a long way to go before we get any Spice, 140 is the average on Arakkis.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28855 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 20 July 2022 - 12:18 PM

We have 34 Celsius today, 31 tomorrow because of a big thunderstorm, 33 the day after, 34, 34.

I'm lucky to have AC, but there's a lot of people doing the towel thing and fans over ice cubes.

#28856 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 July 2022 - 12:39 PM

View Postamphibian, on 20 July 2022 - 12:18 PM, said:

We have 34 Celsius today, 31 tomorrow because of a big thunderstorm, 33 the day after, 34, 34.

I'm lucky to have AC, but there's a lot of people doing the towel thing and fans over ice cubes.

When I didn't have AC back in the day, I'd set out a bowl of ice cubes in front of my fan, so it would blow colder air on me. It was not perfect, but it worked.

I feel bad for anyone who doesn't have AC. Toronto sets up cooling centres for those people, but it's likely not enough.

#28857 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 20 July 2022 - 02:55 PM

I was at the England cricket game yesterday... fuck me it was like a warzone...

Temperatures hit 42 degrees in the stands. People were fainting all over the shop, one dude fainted and fell down the stairs backwards, rushed to hospital. Another had a heart attack and had to be defibbed. People were just lying everywhere they could, not watching the game, to find a bit of shade and they didn't have enough medics.

There was no cover/air con rooms anywhere, there was some shade under the stands but any air flow was like from a hot hairdryer so there was no real escape. They had 2 cool rooms for like 20,000 people and the cool room was nothing more than a gym changing room with a cold shower in it and that room was still about 30 degrees.

An absolute ordeal with zero enjoyment! Never again in that heat!

And then I got back home and my place was still 31 degrees by 1am with no let up...

Safe to say yesterday sucked!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#28858 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 July 2022 - 03:25 PM

View Postchamp, on 20 July 2022 - 02:55 PM, said:

Temperatures hit 42 degrees in the stands. People were fainting all over the shop, one dude fainted and fell down the stairs backwards, rushed to hospital. Another had a heart attack and had to be defibbed. People were just lying everywhere they could, not watching the game, to find a bit of shade and they didn't have enough medics.

There was no cover/air con rooms anywhere, there was some shade under the stands but any air flow was like from a hot hairdryer so there was no real escape. They had 2 cool rooms for like 20,000 people and the cool room was nothing more than a gym changing room with a cold shower in it and that room was still about 30 degrees.

And then I got back home and my place was still 31 degrees by 1am with no let up...

I'm utterly astonished that a cricket match was even allowed to go on in such weather. That's asking for health emergencies to occur.

Hope your'e able to keep cool as day turns to night.

#28859 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 20 July 2022 - 04:39 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 July 2022 - 03:25 PM, said:

View Postchamp, on 20 July 2022 - 02:55 PM, said:

I'm utterly astonished that a cricket match was even allowed to go on in such weather. That's asking for health emergencies to occur.

Hope your'e able to keep cool as day turns to night.

It was utter madness... the problem is that it's the one big pay day for Durham cricket ground, they don't really play internationals there anymore and it's the only time they ever sell out the ground so they need the money big time... no one will ever come out and admit that though. The officials discussed cancelling apparently but hoped it would start to cool down as the day went along... never happened as the humidity started kicking in around 7pm.

People were stuck at the ground too without forking out massive taxi costs as all trains had been cancelled. I would have left after a couple hours it was that bad but had to wait for the full group to want to depart before leaving... after the full game and 8 hours in.

I threw up when I got in ha, probably heat exhaustion but I'm ok now. A cold shower and wet cloth really helped a load.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#28860 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 20 July 2022 - 06:51 PM

I know you’ll all find this hard to believe, but attics are hot as balls right now.

I’ve sweat through my shirt at least 6 times today.

The humidity, gods it like a sauna every time I go outside.

Welp! Back to it. Stay safe everyone!!!
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

Share this topic:

• 1521 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users