• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#28821 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 July 2022 - 03:42 PM

View Postworry, on 14 July 2022 - 02:31 PM, said:

Wow, biased much? Just avoid any place there might be a shooting, or a macho sparring match, or financial exploitation, or police brutality, or ICE & CBP agents on a power trip, or a fascist uprising, and you'll be fine.

LOL, how much space does that leave?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28822 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 July 2022 - 05:42 PM

Oh ffs, it's not that bad here. Come visit, I guarantee you'll have a great time and make wonderful memories, and not once be in a mode of worry about stereotypes you believe to be true. If you don't have a great time, I'll eat poutine until I puke my brains out, deal?

Also, going through life frightened and scared of trumped up stereotypes <<see what I did there?, and manufactured boogeymen is no way to be happy and fulfilled. Don't go through life scared.

#28823 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 14 July 2022 - 06:00 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 July 2022 - 03:42 PM, said:

Wow, biased much? Just avoid any place there might be a shooting, or a macho sparring match, or financial exploitation, or police brutality, or ICE & CBP agents on a power trip, or a fascist uprising, and you'll be fine.

LOL, how much space does that leave?

I think there's some pretty empty spaces somewhere in the middle with nothing in them?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28824 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 14 July 2022 - 06:32 PM

Tiste, we were talking about geography, not republican's heads.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#28825 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 15 July 2022 - 07:51 AM

What is this, the Dark Souls of America or something?
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#28826 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 July 2022 - 01:07 PM

UK reaching hottest temperature in recorded history... heat wave's almost certainly not only going to kill people outright, but keep people inside and accelerate the spike in covid-19 cases (and then in long covid... at least approximately 3% of the population of the UK,

Prevalence of ongoing symptoms following coronavirus (COVID-19) infection in the UK - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)

... and according to the CDC, 1 out of every 13 people (7.5% of the population) in the United States now has long covid---though their CDC data also indicated 'older adults are less likely to have long COVID than younger adults' which seems unlikely unless long covid is being drastically undercounted in older adults because the symptoms overlap with the usual degradations of age, and surveys are measuring presence of symptoms rather than increase in severity of 'preexisting' symptoms, etc.).
Nearly One in Five American Adults Who Have Had COVID-19 Still Have "Long COVID" (cdc.gov)

Ordered a microwave safe ceramic bowl with lid---seemed like a nice Prime Day deal---but the description failed to mention that the lid has holes in it which small flies can easily fly through. Not only that, but in the customer Q&A the first answer to a question about the lid falsely claimed that it is airtight. (I would have had to have expanded the answer to see other people correcting that claim several answers down. Perhaps I didn't do due diligence there, but Prime Day had me rushing, plus I had a lot of other things to do.) Could return it, but first I'll try using a paper clip to press sticky microwave safe bpa free plastic wrap (which I just ordered) down the holes. (Thought of trying to tape microwave safe plastic or silicon over the holes, but even after I remove the tape IDK if the residue might catch fire in the microwave---unless I wash / scrape it off very thoroughly).

Before this I only had one bowl, and the glass lid fell and shattered a few years ago, so I'd been making do with a flexible silicon lid which has to be stretched across the edges... but if there's any moisture it will slip off and fall into the bowl. Had been wasting a lot of time and many strips of paper towel meticulously drying off the lips of the bowl and the outer edges of the lid. So I had very high hopes for this new ceramic bowl with lid....

During Prime Day I also ordered a mesh protector to keep out fruit flies (specifically to keep them off my spoons (I only have two spoons)---the dimensions given would have just barely fit inside my cabinets (which don't close properly, iirc never have, landlord probably dgaf and I don't want maintenance people coming in while the pandemic is raging). What they sent me is slightly larger and won't fit. WTF.

I've been bedeviled by flies and fruit flies. Massacred quite a few (and I've been more meticulous about re-sealing my door each time I come back inside, though I think they're also coming in through the light fixtures)---hopefully the electric fly trap I ordered will help....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 16 July 2022 - 01:07 PM

#28827 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 16 July 2022 - 09:34 PM

Head cold. 30C heat.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#28828 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 July 2022 - 12:17 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 16 July 2022 - 09:34 PM, said:

Head cold. 30C heat.

Posted Image

#28829 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 18 July 2022 - 07:42 AM

It's hell already. Nothing more than sweat and suffering.

#28830 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 18 July 2022 - 11:22 AM

Really? Not noticing anything so far really, apart from my morning buses showing up late despite it being a very acceptable 22 deg. Our office and most of our labs feel fine, despite us being in a 1970ies concrete monstrosity of a hospital.

I do feel the media and politics are overexaggerating the practicalities a bit here in the UK. Yes, climate change is a thing. Yes, be sensible if you are elderly or if you have a job that requires outdoor work (e.g. construction) or work in poorly ventilated spaces. But shutting down schools and nurseries early and cancelling trains and buses? Come on now. We've got people traveling to Spain to actively seek out this weather, but two days of it in England and the country grinds to a halt.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#28831 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 18 July 2022 - 11:54 AM

View PostGorefest, on 18 July 2022 - 11:22 AM, said:

Really? Not noticing anything so far really, apart from my morning buses showing up late despite it being a very acceptable 22 deg. Our office and most of our labs feel fine, despite us being in a 1970ies concrete monstrosity of a hospital.

I do feel the media and politics are overexaggerating the practicalities a bit here in the UK. Yes, climate change is a thing. Yes, be sensible if you are elderly or if you have a job that requires outdoor work (e.g. construction) or work in poorly ventilated spaces. But shutting down schools and nurseries early and cancelling trains and buses? Come on now. We've got people traveling to Spain to actively seek out this weather, but two days of it in England and the country grinds to a halt.

By 8:45 when I posted it was 25. By 10am it was 31. And now it's sat around 35.

#28832 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 18 July 2022 - 01:37 PM

Holy shit, do you not pay attention to what happens during severe heat waves elsewhere in the world? People die. People go to the hospitals way more than normal. There's tons of cascade effects that disrupt lives because it's too hot that it breaks routines and normal coping tactics.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28833 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 18 July 2022 - 01:43 PM

It's also that the UK is fundamentally not built for this in terms of infrastructure (see East Anglia rail being shut down completely) and houses here are built to retain the heat rather than keep them cool. If some places are missing out on the impact that a lucky escape rather than by design, and we need to rapidly design and fund our way to minimising the frequency (...yeah...) and impact of this...

#28834 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 July 2022 - 02:33 PM

Is this good or bad?

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28835 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 July 2022 - 08:30 PM

Posted Image

#28836 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 18 July 2022 - 09:08 PM

View Postamphibian, on 18 July 2022 - 01:37 PM, said:

Holy shit, do you not pay attention to what happens during severe heat waves elsewhere in the world? People die. People go to the hospitals way more than normal. There's tons of cascade effects that disrupt lives because it's too hot that it breaks routines and normal coping tactics.

Okay, get off your high horse please. I already acknowledged in my original post that it is bad for certain groups. You didn't see the level of near mass hysteria whipped up in the UK for what is basically two days of the type of weather that is pretty common in southerm Europe all summer, that is my issue. Everything you said is an open door and has nothing to do with my post. Yes, climate change is real and yes, people will die from heatwaves. Never said they didnt.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 18 July 2022 - 09:08 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#28837 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 July 2022 - 12:07 AM

Bummer, Desus & Mero are breaking up. I wonder what happened?

#28838 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 19 July 2022 - 05:24 AM

We've got people traveling to Spain to actively seek out this weather, but two days of it in England and the country grinds to a halt.

I am not, nor will ever be a person who seeks out those temperatures so I'm dying! And I have a militant streak about climate change which means I refuse to contribute to carbon emissions by buying a fan or aircon unit that I only need for one week a year. I'm British, we don't need those things - except I'm somehow living in a map area with a 40 over it. My sons school is closed today. It was 35C in the classrooms yesterday despite best efforts to keep cool. The inside of our house peaked at 27C yesterday which I'm taking as a win and trying to replicate today.

So to update my original gripe: working at home, also doing childcare, remnants of a head cold, 40C heat, no fan. Shoot me.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#28839 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 19 July 2022 - 07:54 AM

View PostGorefest, on 18 July 2022 - 09:08 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 18 July 2022 - 01:37 PM, said:

Okay, get off your high horse please. I already acknowledged in my original post that it is bad for certain groups. You didn't see the level of near mass hysteria whipped up in the UK for what is basically two days of the type of weather that is pretty common in southerm Europe all summer, that is my issue. Everything you said is an open door and has nothing to do with my post. Yes, climate change is real and yes, people will die from heatwaves. Never said they didnt.

Mass hysteria perhaps, but 40C is unprecedented for us - Southern Europe might get those temperatures all summer, but we're used to summers of 25C with maybe a peak at 28C. As a nation we are not used to heat above that, let alone 40C. It's 9:00am and I'm already struggling to function at all. I have no clue how I'll cope with work today, especially in the afternoon when the peak is set to hit.

#28840 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 19 July 2022 - 08:10 AM

I think today will be trickier as people will be starting from a higher base of how hot they are. Going to be a day where kind words and consideration of people's heat induced irritability.

Share this topic:

• 1522 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users