What's messing with your groove?

#28041 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 24 August 2021 - 10:25 PM

Drama in the custody battle continues. Now the school here may not be able to hold the kids' spots much longer. And my ex is doing everything she can to drag out the court proceedings, meaning she may hold onto the kids for this whole next school year. It is super discouraging, especially when the court appointed third party investigator said my kids need to be in my care for school urgently because my ex is borderline negligent. This court system is so awful and clunky. And I can't do anything to save my kids which kills me.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#28042 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 25 August 2021 - 11:56 AM

View Postworry, on 24 August 2021 - 08:13 PM, said:

Breaking into a field? What's next, hot-wiring a horse?

Jam a hand up that equine butt.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#28043 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 25 August 2021 - 05:29 PM

I am feeling crushed. My ex managed to delay everything long enough that I am out of options. I was told today that the school near my home cannot hold my kids' spots in their respective grades and there is no option for mid-year enrollment at this school. I could apply to other schools, but this one was the best shot as it is where my step-daughters go, and we know the teachers and environment.

So my ex wins by default and will hold onto my kids for the next school year. Who knows what that will do to my youngest, who really, really, really needs a lot of attention to improve his daily living routines (like brushing teeth, he has already had numerous cavities) and keep him up to speed with the rest of his school peers.

I am so exhausted and depressed, having fought as hard as I could, but the court system is backlogged and broken such that even a parent who is known to be borderline negligent is still allowed to maintain primary custody of kids with special needs.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#28044 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 25 August 2021 - 05:52 PM

I suggest that you continue to try to get the children during this school year because schools absolutely will allow mid year enrollment, even if they tell you now that they won't. People move, kids transfer etc. It happens and you will be able to find somewhere for your kids to go if they come during the school year.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28045 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 25 August 2021 - 06:30 PM

View Postamphibian, on 25 August 2021 - 05:52 PM, said:

I suggest that you continue to try to get the children during this school year because schools absolutely will allow mid year enrollment, even if they tell you now that they won't. People move, kids transfer etc. It happens and you will be able to find somewhere for your kids to go if they come during the school year.

100%
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#28046 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 25 August 2021 - 09:18 PM

Child pukes behind a door. Door gets opened and grinds said puke deep into the carpet. Whole house stinks of puke despite relentless scrubbing.

And the puking was due to inappropriate volumes of sweet and fizzy drink consumption! He isn't even ill. It was Mr PigDogs watch of course.

Nothing to add to the above GH. I'm guessing you would love to have your kids puke ground into your carpets. Good luck!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#28047 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 25 August 2021 - 09:55 PM

I really wish it were that easy. So there are a variety of school types here. Several types, including public charter and public magnet schools, seem to not allow mid year enrollment. If you look at school rankings, the magnet schools are the places to go. That brings up generic public schools, which are not really well rated. The public school closest to me has a 2/10 score on one of the ranking websites. A lot of getting the kids into a decent school requires applications before the next academic year, the application season probably starting late fall or winter. My best bet, getting the boys into their step-sister's school, has timed out, and I really do not want to disrupt their lives by jumping them from one school to the next. Moreover, without a school ready to go (and one which the ex would approve since we are currently "joint" in making such decisions), I doubt I could get the court to side with me for moving the kids here. It is not a good situation.
~Abyss

#28048 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 August 2021 - 11:28 PM

View PostGust Hubb, on 25 August 2021 - 09:55 PM, said:

I really wish it were that easy. So there are a variety of school types here. Several types, including public charter and public magnet schools, seem to not allow mid year enrollment. If you look at school rankings, the magnet schools are the places to go. That brings up generic public schools, which are not really well rated. The public school closest to me has a 2/10 score on one of the ranking websites. A lot of getting the kids into a decent school requires applications before the next academic year, the application season probably starting late fall or winter. My best bet, getting the boys into their step-sister's school, has timed out, and I really do not want to disrupt their lives by jumping them from one school to the next. Moreover, without a school ready to go (and one which the ex would approve since we are currently "joint" in making such decisions), I doubt I could get the court to side with me for moving the kids here. It is not a good situation.

Assuming they're not yet at the age where school ranking would directly impact getting into a good university, is it really that important? A low ranking public school might give them more time to learn on their own. Trying to force them to learn is likely to backfire. Instilling a love of reading, critical thinking, rigor, problem-solving, science, and mathematics is better done by parents and media. If they have questions, finding good answers on the internet is not that hard---and not hard to learn how to do.

Kids don't really start learning anything until graduate school anyway.... (Kidding, but I don't think my grandfather was....)

OTOH if the local public school is extremely dangerous it might be a bad idea.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 25 August 2021 - 11:29 PM

#28049 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 25 August 2021 - 11:34 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 25 August 2021 - 11:28 PM, said:

Assuming they're not yet at the age where school ranking would directly impact getting into a good university, is it really that important? A low ranking public school might give them more time to learn on their own. Trying to force them to learn is likely to backfire. Instilling a love of reading, critical thinking, rigor, problem-solving, science, and mathematics is better done by parents and media. If they have questions, finding good answers on the internet is not that hard---and not hard to learn how to do.

Kids don't really start learning anything until graduate school anyway.... (Kidding, but I don't think my grandfather was....)

OTOH if the local public school is extremely dangerous it might be a bad idea.

One of my kids is special needs. And the whole case centers around poor care for my kids, especially in relation to the special needs kid's education.
~Abyss

#28050 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 August 2021 - 02:12 AM

A lesson:

DO NOT eat a heaping bowl of Chili con Carne when the daytime high temperature is approaching 100° and the overnight temps are projected to not go below 80°. Leave that meal for a cold winter day. Ugh, it's going to be a miserable night.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 26 August 2021 - 02:13 AM

#28051 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 August 2021 - 06:32 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 26 August 2021 - 02:12 AM, said:

A lesson:

DO NOT eat Chili.

FTFY.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#28052 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 26 August 2021 - 01:58 PM

A lesson:

DO NOT eat a heaping bowl of Chili con Carne when the daytime high temperature is approaching 100° and the overnight temps are projected to not go below 80°. Leave that meal for a cold winter day. Ugh, it's going to be a miserable night.

As someone that has lived in Texas for years, I feel like I need to ask if it contained beans...
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#28053 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 August 2021 - 03:21 PM

Indubitably. Chili isn't chili without beans - red kidney and/or pinto. Unless you have a chili dog, then no beans. But that's more or less chili flavored meat slurry that you slather on a hot dog.

#28054 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 August 2021 - 03:43 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 26 August 2021 - 06:32 AM, said:

A lesson:

DO NOT eat Chili.

FTFY and I am a communist with cold dead communist taste buds.

FTFY.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28055 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 August 2021 - 08:36 PM

View PostAbyss, on 26 August 2021 - 03:43 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 26 August 2021 - 06:32 AM, said:

A lesson:

DO NOT eat Chili.

FTFY and I am a communist with cold dead communist taste buds, but - like most of LOTR - my ring remains unmelted.

FTFY.

FTFTFY.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 26 August 2021 - 08:37 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#28056 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 26 August 2021 - 10:12 PM

Which situation is better - your kids with you and going to a not great school for whatever amount of time is needed to move them to a better school or your kids with someone you describe as functionally neglectful for a year?

As someone who advocated for kids in schools and people with disabilities in the legal world the last few years, I'd pick Option A every single time.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28057 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 26 August 2021 - 11:58 PM

View Postamphibian, on 26 August 2021 - 10:12 PM, said:

Which situation is better - your kids with you and going to a not great school for whatever amount of time is needed to move them to a better school or your kids with someone you describe as functionally neglectful for a year?

As someone who advocated for kids in schools and people with disabilities in the legal world the last few years, I'd pick Option A every single time.

I hear you man, but I feel like my hands are tied here. Really it is more complicated than what you are seeing. I appreciate the advice, but practically, it doesn't work here.
~Abyss

#28058 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 27 August 2021 - 09:05 PM

View PostBriar King, on 27 August 2021 - 06:58 PM, said:

Charge in the air. Fighting the crowds. Fleets of aircraft overhead (cool!) A storms a coming.

1 year today Laura hit.

Good luck man. Let us know how you are when on the other side of the storm.
~Abyss

#28059 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 August 2021 - 11:17 PM

Very scary. Stay safe, Louisianans.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28060 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 August 2021 - 11:39 PM

Stay safe Tanner!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

• 1522 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users