• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#25801 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:41 PM

View PostMacros, on 16 April 2019 - 05:26 AM, said:

I think Puck is saying most of the interior isn't 900 years old anyway.
Over the years passive restoration would have left it like Triggers broom

This. For one, it's not like we have lost the ability to create with our hands. But more importantly, most of what was lost was exterior, and the exterior of gothic cathedrals is highly susceptible to the elements, which is why you hardly ever see one without scaffolding around some part of it. As I already said, once you're done with one side, you usually can start right over on the other. The majority of the beautiful detail work on the outside has probably already been replaced at least once.
I am very sad that the so called timber forest in the ceiling has been lost, which was still the original one. But my sadness stems from my love of art and history, not any personal attachment to a building I've seen once in person. Most gothic cathedrals look pretty much the same if one wants to take selfies. Last night I was so tired of and angry at people making it all about themselves. We did not see this kind narcissism when the national museum in Brazil burned down last year. I guess it wasn't worth the sentimental bleeting when thousands of artifacts and historical documents were actually lost. And nobody was right away like "Thus haaaas to be terrorism".

View PostCause, on 16 April 2019 - 09:00 AM, said:

I have no emotional attachment to this building and have struggled to understand why some people I know are reacting with such great horror to this. Its a tragedy yes, they will restore it best as they can. Each to their own I guess

This is going to sound harsh, but I believe that a lot of the reactions are learned sentimentality. I would not think that hadn't I seen just as much ignorance about Notre Dame as I saw "me me me" tweets and posts. There are so many gothic cathedrals our there but this one has been shoved under our noses as this eternal symbol of romance (which it wasn't even in Hugo's book, btw) that this has become the only thing people know about it. Has anyone cared one dot about the Pieta? Well, I didn't see any tweets about that. It was all "oh mah feelz". My mother reacted the same way. People are mourning a symbol of what they think Notre Dame is, without any real emotional attachment to the building itself. Not everyone of course, I am just commenting on these particular kinds of reactions.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#25802 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:10 PM

Or maybe watching something old, large, and beautiful, be destroyed just bothers some people and they react however they react, because people.
Also, social media. Taking 98% of it seriously on any subject will doom you.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#25803 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:54 PM

So I am going to London as you all know. Staying with a friend who has sort of immigrated there. She and her boyfriend and his brother asked me if I wanted to join them on a weekend away in cornwal for easter and I said sounds good. I looked at the map and saw cornwall is sort of close to Portsmouth and asked if anyone is keen to go there for a day on the way back. Naval museum, HMS victory etc. Everyone said they were keen. I thought great, I get to see it (something I really want) and everything was settled. This was like a month ago.

Then a bizarre turn of events. My friend's brother gets badly sick in Germany so she leaves London to check on him. Her boyfriend calls me and says he is looking at the logistics and Portsmouth wont work and they canning it. It sucks but I said Id try go on my own. My friend messages me though to apologize, saying she doesn't understand what happened, hopes I'm not too disappointed. She was busy to follow the story while dealing with her brpther, the hospital, the SA embassy (which I get). She even says she feels like a coup was staged and she was keen to go too. Anyway I'm left kind of wondering if the boyfriend did it to be a dick, was he never keen, were the logistics really too hard. We have car, there are trains etc. Just seems odd.

I kind of get the impression he doesnt really like me. Not that we are enemies but just that their is no warmth either. He messaged me a while back to say that both he and my friend have become vegans becusae of the price of meat in London and a Netflix documentary and would I be able to survive (I LOVE MEAT). He said don't tell my friend he told me because she will feel awkward. So I have dismissed this as a weird prank.

I don't think I have seen someone use the price of meat as a primary reason why they now don't eat meat. It's a reason, but it implies that if they had more money, they'd eat meat. That's probably not the actual reason they don't eat meat because they're unlikely to actually be so tight on money that meat is hard to obtain for them.

So the choice to tell you that this is the reason, the choice to make the decisions to cancel the trip without consulting with his gf or you, and the hiding of communication between him and you from his gf are all interesting. I speculate that he's a very self involved asshole rather than someone who actively dislikes you. But the result is probably the same - neither he nor your friend matter to him as much as he does. That may change or this may not be a pattern, but it doesn't feel like that to this internet stranger and it seems like it certainly doesn't feel like that to you.

Hope you can hang out nicely with your friend even if he's going to be a boor.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#25804 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:35 PM

Them: Hey, let me know what time you can meet today, I'm free all day!

Me: Ok, I'll meet you at 3.

Them: Oh no, i cant meet at 3.

I hate people.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#25805 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 April 2019 - 02:46 AM

View Postamphibian, on 16 April 2019 - 05:54 PM, said:

So I am going to London as you all know. Staying with a friend who has sort of immigrated there. She and her boyfriend and his brother asked me if I wanted to join them on a weekend away in cornwal for easter and I said sounds good. I looked at the map and saw cornwall is sort of close to Portsmouth and asked if anyone is keen to go there for a day on the way back. Naval museum, HMS victory etc. Everyone said they were keen. I thought great, I get to see it (something I really want) and everything was settled. This was like a month ago.

Then a bizarre turn of events. My friend's brother gets badly sick in Germany so she leaves London to check on him. Her boyfriend calls me and says he is looking at the logistics and Portsmouth wont work and they canning it. It sucks but I said Id try go on my own. My friend messages me though to apologize, saying she doesn't understand what happened, hopes I'm not too disappointed. She was busy to follow the story while dealing with her brpther, the hospital, the SA embassy (which I get). She even says she feels like a coup was staged and she was keen to go too. Anyway I'm left kind of wondering if the boyfriend did it to be a dick, was he never keen, were the logistics really too hard. We have car, there are trains etc. Just seems odd.

I kind of get the impression he doesnt really like me. Not that we are enemies but just that their is no warmth either. He messaged me a while back to say that both he and my friend have become vegans becusae of the price of meat in London and a Netflix documentary and would I be able to survive (I LOVE MEAT). He said don't tell my friend he told me because she will feel awkward. So I have dismissed this as a weird prank.

I don't think I have seen someone use the price of meat as a primary reason why they now don't eat meat. It's a reason, but it implies that if they had more money, they'd eat meat. That's probably not the actual reason they don't eat meat because they're unlikely to actually be so tight on money that meat is hard to obtain for them.

So the choice to tell you that this is the reason, the choice to make the decisions to cancel the trip without consulting with his gf or you, and the hiding of communication between him and you from his gf are all interesting. I speculate that he's a very self involved asshole rather than someone who actively dislikes you. But the result is probably the same - neither he nor your friend matter to him as much as he does. That may change or this may not be a pattern, but it doesn't feel like that to this internet stranger and it seems like it certainly doesn't feel like that to you.

Or he’s planning to steal your organs for black market resale.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#25806 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:42 AM

Have you considered walking over there and asking them to turn it off at an agreed upon time?

Or is that grounds for shooting a tresspasser?

#25807 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 April 2019 - 05:06 AM

Pork chop bribes.

#25808 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 April 2019 - 05:11 AM

View PostAptorian, on 17 April 2019 - 04:42 AM, said:

Have you considered walking over there and asking them to turn it off at an agreed upon time?

Or is that grounds for shooting a tresspasser?

Protip for being a good neighbor: Always be welcoming and introduce yourself to new neighbors. And offer to help out when you see them doing a weekend project or other such work around the property. Maybe something as small as letting them borrow some tools they don't have or to actually lending a hand (moving heavy items for example). It's been my rule of thumb, always, and pays dividends later, big time, when you need to broach issues like barking dogs or loud music or other annoyances. Taking a passive aggressive approach, like doing something to annoy them back or outright calling the police without first introducing yourself and being, I don't know, a decent person will not end well.

#25809 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:01 PM

View Postamphibian, on 16 April 2019 - 05:54 PM, said:

Can 100% confirm that 'price of meat in London' as a reason to go vogon is bogus. Meat isn't prohibitively expensive anywhere in the UK. More likely the price of living in London reducing them to cressatarianism.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#25810 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:08 PM

Attached File  57441784_10158295788160130_6455680199185924096_n.jpg (96.68K)
Number of downloads: 1

#25811 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:11 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 17 April 2019 - 01:01 PM, said:

Can 100% confirm that 'price of meat in London' as a reason to go vogon is bogus. Meat isn't prohibitively expensive anywhere in the UK. More likely the price of living in London reducing them to cressatarianism.

Is that where you give people the choice of either listening to your poetry or being chucked out the airlock?

@Maccy

Thank you for a proper sense of proportion.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 17 April 2019 - 04:13 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#25812 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:45 PM

View PostMacros, on 17 April 2019 - 04:08 PM, said:

I saw a similar one for Grenfell Tower saying it's a shame Grenfell only had humans inside instead of old stained glass windows.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#25813 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:31 PM

People who let their kids go up the slide at the park when it’s busy.

#25814 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 April 2019 - 04:11 AM

We knew you'd come around.

#25815 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:54 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 17 April 2019 - 04:11 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 17 April 2019 - 01:01 PM, said:

Is that where you give people the choice of either listening to your poetry or being chucked out the airlock?

@Maccy

Thank you for a proper sense of proportion.

Vegans don't give you the choice, they just recite ad nauseum
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#25816 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 20 April 2019 - 06:43 PM

Potty training.

The only thing I am now capable of saying is "Do you need a wee?"

#25817 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 21 April 2019 - 05:16 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 20 April 2019 - 06:43 PM, said:

Potty training.

We used MnMs. Go in the potty and you get an mnm.

We learned early in this parenting thing.....bribes get shit done.

#25818 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 21 April 2019 - 06:19 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 21 April 2019 - 05:16 PM, said:

View PostMezla PigDog, on 20 April 2019 - 06:43 PM, said:

Potty training.

We used MnMs. Go in the potty and you get an mnm.

We learned early in this parenting thing.....bribes get shit done.

That's called positive reinforcement. It's surprisingly effective with puppies and human babies both!
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#25819 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 21 April 2019 - 06:36 PM

The Easter Bunny brought a family bag of mini eggs. He's bartered us up to 2 eggs per wee.

#25820 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 21 April 2019 - 11:47 PM

2 days. 2 different parents unloading their marriage problems on me.

The fuck am I supposed to do? Psychology in mass and poor effect?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

Share this topic:

• 1521 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users