• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whats making you happy right now

#18721 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 December 2022 - 10:08 AM

Did the milkman say it was actually more like 8-9 inches?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#18722 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 December 2022 - 08:13 PM

Was expecting the Seaboard Rise 2 I ordered (new $1400 expressive midi controller) to arrive in late February... just got tracking information for it today---shipping label created, no estimated delivery date yet. Bit concerned it might just be an error... hopefully I'll find out soon enough.

Fusion has achieved ignition... still a long ways to go towards a sustained reaction that produces enough energy to be commercially viable though:

'The “more energy out than laser energy in” equation masks several fundamental problems. [...] lasers have an efficiency of about 0.5 percent, meaning that they would have sucked in roughly 400 megajoules of energy from the grid in order to produce the 2.1 megajoules of light energy that eventually yielded the 2.5 megajoules of fusion energy out. That isn’t accounted for in the “break-even” calculation. Nor is the large amount of energy (and time and money) required to manufacture each target. Even if we could collect all the fusion energy generated with perfect efficiency and convert it into usable power (which we can’t), this brings us to much, much less than 1 percent of the way to a true net production of energy from NIF’s very best fusion reaction.

This isn’t to say that the achievement is meaningless. NIF really producing 2.5 megajoules of fusion energy from a 2.1-megajoule laser beam would be a genuine victory, and not just because it’s a multibillion-dollar experiment that finally stopped failing to meet its design goal. But this would be less like a Kitty Hawk moment than a lab experiment demonstrating that air flowing over a wing can produce a little bit of lift. The work doesn’t address any of the myriad other scientific, technical, and design problems that would need to be solved before we really can take off from the ground and claim that we’ve produced more energy with fusion than we’ve consumed.'

One (Tiny) Step Closer to Fusion Energy

#18723 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 December 2022 - 06:59 AM

I am on holidays from today until 15 Jan 23.

Fuck.

Yeah.

:D

Then I'm working at a new unit, who if they are only a quarter as good as they looked on my tour there yesterday will still be way better than where I was for the last three years.
Here's hoping.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#18724 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 14 December 2022 - 07:18 PM

You know where you see those internet posts where someone buys a sofa and it turns out its a dolls house sized sofa... well I kinda had that experience today but the other way around...

Part of my sisters Xmas gift is a ROKR wood model/puzzle kit so thought I'd buy some stuff to help her make it. Model making tools, candle wax and some sandpaper... tools and candle wax easy, done...

Sandpaper... now that is something I've not bought for like 20+ years, no idea how much it costs nowadays. I do a search for sandpaper for making models, find some options. Decide not to be cheap so I don't go for the lowest price and figure the next price up will be reet... it's got a load of different graded paper so win, doesn't look too big and by this time I'm sick of shopping so I get it ordered...

Well it rocked up today and now as a part of my sisters gifts there will be an industrial size pack of sandpaper which you would expect to find in a store cupboard of a manufacturing workshop...

I kinda hope she opens that first and is just like WTF?!?!?

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#18725 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 December 2022 - 07:57 PM

My Seaboard Rise 2 arrived yesterday. I was worried that the thousands of hours I spent practicing on the Seaboard Blocks (similar, but with smaller, squishier keys with a different shape and no frets) wouldn't transfer well, but I've been pleasantly surprised. Of course it's taking some getting used to---but thankfully it also seems to be much easier on my wrists, so I can practice longer and more frequently.

#18726 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 28 December 2022 - 09:47 PM

We got Twister for Christmas and broke it out today. I'm not too old to play!! Gave a decent account of myself against a 6 year old and won as many as I lost. May not be moving tomorrow.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#18727 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 29 December 2022 - 08:44 AM

Was able to see my wife yesterday - there is still work to be done but she has entitlement to ward leave for two hours a day based on her recovery so far. I'm hopeful that with a couple of weeks and some medication, we'll have her back in a few weeks. I'm not confident she'd deal with overnight leave just yet, but hopefully soon!
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#18728 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 29 December 2022 - 09:22 PM

Ran a half marathon today in 1 hour and 58 minutes.

Pretty proud of myself!

To think, I just wanted to lose weight (60 pounds since June), now I’m training for a real race and have already proven that I can do it in a pretty good time!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#18729 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 December 2022 - 10:02 PM

That’s so awesome!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#18730 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 29 December 2022 - 11:44 PM

Those are both awesome posts!
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#18731 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 30 December 2022 - 08:48 AM

I get a solid run of days in which I can see wife.

Taking her best friend up to see her tonight, then tomorrow and Sunday I'm gonna pop up and see her for some leave. Not sure about the bank holiday given that fuel is a concern, but we'll see!

#18732 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 30 December 2022 - 09:05 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 29 December 2022 - 08:44 AM, said:

Was able to see my wife yesterday - there is still work to be done but she has entitlement to ward leave for two hours a day based on her recovery so far. I'm hopeful that with a couple of weeks and some medication, we'll have her back in a few weeks. I'm not confident she'd deal with overnight leave just yet, but hopefully soon!

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 29 December 2022 - 09:22 PM, said:

Ran a half marathon today in 1 hour and 58 minutes.

Pretty proud of myself!

To think, I just wanted to lose weight (60 pounds since June), now I'm training for a real race and have already proven that I can do it in a pretty good time!

This is awesome, both of you! :D
- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#18733 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 30 December 2022 - 03:58 PM

Truly happy for both Maark and HD, grand stuff all around!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#18734 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 31 December 2022 - 02:39 AM

Men have sex 50-60 times in an average year.

Tomorrow is gonna be a great day then.

#18735 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 31 December 2022 - 11:15 AM

Malazan Empire, bringing down averages like a boss B)

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 31 December 2022 - 11:39 AM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#18736 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 31 December 2022 - 11:58 AM

View PostCause, on 31 December 2022 - 02:39 AM, said:

Men have sex 50-60 times in an average year.

Tomorrow is gonna be a great day then.

Qu’est-ce que c’est "sex"? :p

#18737 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 January 2023 - 02:05 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 31 December 2022 - 11:15 AM, said:

Malazan Empire, bringing down averages like a boss B)

BKs truck keeps the numbers right

#18738 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 01 January 2023 - 02:42 AM

Although he does have to replace the shockies every 5000 km apparently ... ;)

--------------------

In other news, this guy is an absolute dead set legend. :thumbsup:

https://www.bbc.com/...umbria-64134196

Marathon man Gary McKee hits £1m goal after 365th run of 2022

31 December 2022

A man who vowed to complete a marathon on every day of 2022 has hit his £1m target after completing his final run.

Gary McKee, from Cleator Moor, in Cumbria, began his challenge on 1 January, with donations to be shared between Macmillan Cancer Support and West Cumbria Hospice at Home.

The father-of-three often ran his 26.2-mile (42km) route before starting work at the Sellafield nuclear site.

As he crossed the finish line, he thanked the "fantastic" reception.

And he later revealed in a tweet that he had reached his £1m goal in aid of charities.

Cheered on by crowds, he started his latest challenge at 08:30 GMT and finished at about 14:00 GMT in front of a fireworks display.

Mr McKee has gone through more than 20 pairs of trainers, run more than 9,500 miles (15,300km) and finished his final marathon at about 14:00.

Speaking afterwards, he said: "The streets were lined. It was raining, but everybody was out clapping and shouting.

"It was fantastic seeing everybody there. It's something I'll always remember."

On the start line earlier in the day, he told BBC Breakfast he had received "phenomenal" support but was "a little bit nervous" ahead of the final challenge.

"It's not the distance, it's because it's the last one. It'll be a special day. Cancer affects everybody so it isn't just a west Cumbrian thing, it's a national thing.

"I just hope that people do get behind us and we do raise that million pounds. If we don't, it won't be because I haven't run 365 marathons.

"We'll celebrate the day, have a good laugh on the route."

Director of funding and communications for Hospice At Home West Cumbria, Hayley McKay, said: "It's difficult to put into words how grateful we are to Gary for taking on this unbelievable challenge.

"The physical and mental strength he has shown is incomprehensible.

"Gary has not only raised money for two fantastic charities, he has sprinkled magic on the local community and brought people together supporting him with the challenge."

Macmillan Cancer Support executive director of fundraising, Claire Rowney, added: "Gary's achievement and selflessness is off the scale.

"Every single day this year, this extraordinary man has put his body through a marathon to raise money for Macmillan and our friends at Hospice At Home West Cumbria.

"I can only imagine the self-discipline and determination required to achieve this and there aren't enough words to express our heartfelt gratitude for everything that he has done to help Macmillan support people living with cancer at a time when they need us more than ever."

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 01 January 2023 - 02:49 AM

#18739 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 03 January 2023 - 05:27 PM

Saw wife Sat-Mon for ward leave. Went real good. MDT was today; consultant 1 is seeking to discharge pending confirmation from consultant 2 which I assume was granted, however she had a spike in blood creatinine levels in response to one medication before so they need to have her stay f or some obs whilst they try the current med at the normal dosage - if that goes well, she'll be discharged Thurs-Fri we think.

And she even agreed to come on stream with me once she's home and rested!

#18740 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 04 January 2023 - 07:36 PM

Home leave from tomorrow 13:00.

Meeting at Fieldhead 14:00 Monday; if weekend leave has gone well, full discharge.

Crying. It's nearly over.

Share this topic:

• 966 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users