• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whats making you happy right now

#18681 User is online   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 October 2022 - 10:45 PM

Past me: "Hey SB, did you know that appr 14 years after you join this forum you'll be on the Happy thread talking about getting vasectomies and being too old for kids?"

Ok, sure.......

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#18682 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 October 2022 - 07:51 AM

Haha I'm sure many things I've done in the past 14 years I wouldn't have believed if I was told.

Which has made me realise I've been on this forum for 18 years this month!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#18683 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 12 October 2022 - 08:59 AM

Glad the op went well Tiste :)

We had some amazing news about our friend's son (post in messing with groove the other week). His MRI was all clear, no evidence of brain damage and once feeding is established (tentatively introduced yesterday) he can come home! We got our first video of him yesterday and I unashamedly burst into tears. It feels miraculous compared to where things were a week ago.
- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#18684 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 12 October 2022 - 11:10 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 12 October 2022 - 08:59 AM, said:

We had some amazing news about our friend's son (post in messing with groove the other week). His MRI was all clear, no evidence of brain damage and once feeding is established (tentatively introduced yesterday) he can come home! We got our first video of him yesterday and I unashamedly burst into tears. It feels miraculous compared to where things were a week ago.

Wow that's fantastic news! Thanks for updating us. :)

In a very much less incredible but still making me happy vein, we went to see Louis Theroux yesterday. The IOM Arts Council managed to get him to come over for an evening at the theatre where he talked about his work and experiences and answered questions from the audience. Really engaging guy, very funny and interesting. He even did the rap at the end haha. I've always loved his documentaries so it was a treat to listen to him talk about his stuff.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#18685 User is online   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 12 October 2022 - 04:56 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 12 October 2022 - 08:59 AM, said:

Hells yes! That is awesome news.

#18686 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 October 2022 - 06:10 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 12 October 2022 - 11:10 AM, said:

In a very much less incredible but still making me happy vein, we went to see Louis Theroux yesterday.

Did he do the rap?! DID HE DO THE RAP?!

https://youtu.be/Gnwr8x-W_fY?t=141
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#18687 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 12 October 2022 - 06:14 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 October 2022 - 06:10 PM, said:

In a very much less incredible but still making me happy vein, we went to see Louis Theroux yesterday.

Of course! He finished with it haha I think he knew that's what most people were wanting to see.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#18688 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 October 2022 - 06:30 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 12 October 2022 - 06:14 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 October 2022 - 06:10 PM, said:

Of course! He finished with it haha I think he knew that's what most people were wanting to see.

Ah yes! Amazing. He seems like a such a down to earth and knowledgeable guy!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#18689 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 13 October 2022 - 10:28 AM

Long time no see... I just have to tell someone: I've been looking for a new job. And I got a new job! But this is the first time in my life that I have to now contact people to tell them I decided on another offer, because I have more than one offer, and I'm just feeling overwhelmed :apt:
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#18690 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 13 October 2022 - 12:47 PM

Congrats on the job! :D
- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#18691 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 13 October 2022 - 03:14 PM

View PostPuck, on 13 October 2022 - 10:28 AM, said:

Long time no see... I just have to tell someone: I've been looking for a new job. And I got a new job! But this is the first time in my life that I have to now contact people to tell them I decided on another offer, because I have more than one offer, and I'm just feeling overwhelmed :apt:

Huge congrats to you!!!
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#18692 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 13 October 2022 - 03:33 PM

Congrats! It's a great feeling to actually have a choice, isn't it?

I'm currently nearing the end of my second week at my new logistics job and I'm loving it. I feel valued and appreciated at work for the first time in years. I knew Walgreens had gotten pretty bad, but it's hard to believe how good leaving that company has been for my mental health.

#18693 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 13 October 2022 - 04:21 PM

Great news! I'm sure you'll get the right one and settle in well.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#18694 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 14 October 2022 - 11:21 AM

View PostJPK, on 13 October 2022 - 03:33 PM, said:

Congrats! It's a great feeling to actually have a choice, isn't it?

I'm currently nearing the end of my second week at my new logistics job and I'm loving it. I feel valued and appreciated at work for the first time in years. I knew Walgreens had gotten pretty bad, but it's hard to believe how good leaving that company has been for my mental health.

It is! Although, as mentioned, I feel overwhelmed. These past two weeks were quite stressful with several interviews and constant phone calls (I hate phone calls), so I'm glad it's Saturday tomorrow. While I'm glad to be done with my current job by the end of this month (almost made me burn out earlier this year), I'm also glad I had the opportunity to work on some projects that really upped my value on the market (not that I'm ever going to be rich, I remain a pixel pusher and I do like my job :D)

Congrats on your new job, btw!

View PostTiste Simeon, on 13 October 2022 - 04:21 PM, said:

Great news! I'm sure you'll get the right one and settle in well.

Thanks! :D I went with the company where the people whom I interviewed with seemed the friendliest, so hoping for the best.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#18695 User is online   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 14 October 2022 - 03:35 PM

Awesome news Puck.

And I know it sounds silly, but you might look up the Ted talk on the Superhero pose. It works for me.

#18696 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 17 October 2022 - 11:53 AM

My new office setup works a treat barring one cable.

Two outboard monitors, two laptops, two HDMI input toggles to swap which laptop outputs to the monitors in question, the only cable I gotta swap is my USB-C output from the dock.

It's pretty heckin good
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#18697 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 25 October 2022 - 05:17 PM

cut a new deal with the boss, sticking to my 4 day week (woohoo), some of the work will be on the mainland (boo) but mo money (Woohoo!)

#18698 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 25 October 2022 - 08:41 PM

Hopefully not "Mo' money, mo' problems" ...
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#18699 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 26 October 2022 - 04:37 PM

well given what we owe the banks its more of a continuation of the money in money out situation, hopefully for a marginally shorter period of time, but given inflation.....

#18700 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 29 October 2022 - 03:29 PM

Was reminded today of some of the benefits of exposure to the cold (temperatures... viruses, not so much):

'Brown fat (sometimes known as brown adipose tissue) gobbles up dangerous artery-clogging white fat. Brown fat is a more effective fat burner than anything else [anything? even... fire?], which explains why thin people often carry generous supplies. And it’s activated by cold. Studies have found that Nordic construction workers and those who go bare-legged in winter have impressively rich layers of brown fat. [...] Exercise and caffeine also spur production of brown fat, so take a coffee.'

Plus an easy way to boost immunity (so long as it's still warm enough for rain):

''The pounding of raindrops causes plants, trees and soil to release sweet-smelling compounds [...] Studies suggest that inhaling these compounds improves our mood, while the abundance of negative air ions – created as water and air molecules collide making a molecule with an extra charge – can improve respiratory health and immunity. When Austrian scientists ran a series of experiments in the Alps, they were stunned to find that participants walking in heavily ionised air had higher levels of a vital antibody located in the mucosal lining of the mouth, nose and gut. The researchers speculated that this bounteous antibody accounted for the participants’ strengthened immunity and amplified lung capacity.'

Bad weather is good for you: take a walk in the wind and rain

... article could also be titled 'when it's cold and rain is pounding down, go outside (walking backwards) and take a swim in the mud'....

Share this topic:

• 965 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users