• You cannot reply to this topic

Whats making you happy right now

#16241 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 September 2018 - 10:40 PM

View PostSilencer, on 09 September 2018 - 03:55 AM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 08 September 2018 - 05:22 PM, said:

You people are weird. Drink a cold beverage and find shade in the heat. 25 degrees of dry heat is the best weather ever (maybe add a light breeze to it). You can literally do anything in that. Wet heat is less enjoyable, sure, but it still beats minus 10 or minus 15 any day.

Cold beverage and shade doesn't do shit for heat. And there's a practical upper limit on how much you can drink, evenn if it did help. It helps even less when the air itself is hot, not just the sun. I've been in "30" degrees in some places where it's very different to "30" degrees elsewhere - the actual sunlight is closer to 40, and standing in shade is like standing in a dim oven. Anything over 30 and the only solution is air conditioning on high. Minus ten and I'm good to go for anything. I literally can't run in thirty degree heat. But I'll do a marathon at five below. XD

View PostMentalist, on 08 September 2018 - 05:59 PM, said:

Yes, I will also mention that I lived 3 winters (october-late April) in minus 40, and I worked 7 summers in humid 30+ outside. In my experience, heat is unequivocally better than cold.

Minus 40 is pretty extreme - but I am non-functional in 30+ humid. Literally unable to do anything but emulate a puddle. It's not even a case of which is more pleasant at that point, it's that there is absolutely nothing I can do to adjust my own temperature to a point where I'm able to function comfortably. Like, maybe wrapping myself in ice packs or something, but that's gonna end badly. Negatives can be fought by more layers, fires, heaters, blankets, and so on. Heat can't. I don't even know how this is a debate. Even if you like 25 degrees and sunny over say -5, you have to admit there are more and easier options to change your experienced temperature in the latter than the former. Like, if someone says to me, "Silencer, you need to go and dig this trench" in -5, I suit up, put on a coat, I'm golden. They say that to me in 25 degrees, I take off my shirt and...am still fucked? Find a huge industrial fan and some generator to blow air at me while I work? XD
Even putting aside my clear personal preference for cold, you've got to admit getting warm in cold conditions is easier than getting cold in warm conditions. Plus, if you're hot and you need to do physical stuff, you are more limited than normal. If it's cold, you can do way more for longer!

This, every word of it. My personal issues of heat-caused headaches just add to my hatred of anything above 20°C.

Making me happy is the amoung of sense I'm seeing on this an the previous page.

Making me even more happy is that I got a bread baking machine for free today. Didn't even ask. Just had it handed to me at the mention of baking bread. I have immediately proceeded to bake onion bread. Delicious.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#16242 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:15 PM

What a day! I finally achieved success at work! Took a year and 11 days but I did it. By sheer coincidence I also got my raise today (yay they were not lying abour my raise coming in Sep, even though everyone else gets it in Aug)! Its even backdated by 6 months! Laslty the work success has happened literally one day before the bos has to go report on our progress to the people who give us funding. I'm sure he is happy too.

-I am sad I did not receive a bread making machine though, is chocolate chip, cinnamon bread a thing? Puck you should make that!

#16243 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 11 September 2018 - 03:55 PM

It should be noted that -40 in Winterpeg is NOT the norm. That's an anomaly that happens in Manitoba on occasion. But Winterpeg is South south south Manitoba, and thus not indicative of the winter weather even a few hours north in the province, or any province.

To get -40 on the somewhat regular, you need to be closer to the heart of the Canadian shield , Hudson Bay, and the surrounds....and north of most habitable major cities and towns.

It's certainly not The Tyga, or anything like that.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 11 September 2018 - 03:56 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#16244 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 11 September 2018 - 04:05 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 September 2018 - 03:55 PM, said:

It should be noted that -40 in Winterpeg is NOT the norm. That's an anomaly that happens in Manitoba on occasion. But Winterpeg is South south south Manitoba, and thus not indicative of the winter weather even a few hours north in the province, or any province.

To get -40 on the somewhat regular, you need to be closer to the heart of the Canadian shield , Hudson Bay, and the surrounds....and north of most habitable major cities and towns.

It's certainly not The Tyga, or anything like that.

For the 3 winters I've been there, -35 was pretty common. And the only observable difference between -25 and -35 I've noticed is the decrease amount of time you can stay outside. After -25 you stop really feeling "degrees of cold" , in my experience at least.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#16245 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 September 2018 - 02:39 PM

Holy crap I have an interview to start me on the path to become a detective. This is something I really want and I found out today that they are telling people pretty much as soon as the interview is over! This is all happening quite quickly - it's on Monday morning!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#16246 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:05 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 12 September 2018 - 02:39 PM, said:

Holy crap I have an interview to start me on the path to become a detective. This is something I really want and I found out today that they are telling people pretty much as soon as the interview is over! This is all happening quite quickly - it's on Monday morning!

Do you have the magnifying glass and deerstalker hat ready?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#16247 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:12 PM

Best of luck Tiste! :D

WHMMHT: I'd thought that I possibly couldn't do the sponsored Yorkshire Three Peaks for the local lot who provided my counselling because of the wider charity structure (they sit under a huge umbrella charity) and they hadn't got back to my enquiry.

Got an email this morning from their community leader - not only is she furthering the question higher up about how to allocate sponsorship directly to the local counselling service (which is what I wanted!) but she also asked if they could sort the allocation out, would she and some of her team be welcome to join the walk and run a social media campaign promoting it as part of the charity's awareness stuff for the local area.

So unexpected, but how wonderful! :no

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 12 September 2018 - 03:12 PM

- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#16248 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:12 PM

I assume you'll be wanting the dead bodies cases

#16249 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:17 PM

View PostMacros, on 12 September 2018 - 03:12 PM, said:

I assume you'll be wanting the dead bodies cases

Ahh not heard a good "Tiste the necro" joke in years. Makes me wonder what happened to snake...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#16250 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:32 PM

And a load of the alumni really. Toby et al

#16251 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 12 September 2018 - 04:02 PM

Sorry to bring it back to the weather debate, but it's been so nice this week and it's making me happy right now.

I worked landscaping/snow removal for years, going out in the hottest days (40+ C with high humidity) and the coldest nights (we usually started our snow removal at like 1am) and I have to say the winter was much better. In the summer at that heat you have to take breaks every few minutes if you don't want to pass out, plus the humidity just makes you feel exhausted and makes it harder to catch your breath. In the winter working (snow blowing mostly) it warms you up and when you're done a place hopping in the truck and warming up was great, sure it gets cold but once you're moving you heat up pretty quickly.
But I have to say, Fall/Spring are my favourite seasons, cool enough that you can wear a sweater and walk around without sweating. Sad that those seasons are so short here, I swear Spring this year jumped from -5 to 30 C in like two weeks.
In the language of flowers corn stands for trust.

#16252 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 12 September 2018 - 04:25 PM

View PostGintokian, on 12 September 2018 - 04:02 PM, said:

Sorry to bring it back to the weather debate, but it's been so nice this week and it's making me happy right now.

I worked landscaping/snow removal for years, going out in the hottest days (40+ C with high humidity) and the coldest nights (we usually started our snow removal at like 1am) and I have to say the winter was much better. In the summer at that heat you have to take breaks every few minutes if you don't want to pass out, plus the humidity just makes you feel exhausted and makes it harder to catch your breath. In the winter working (snow blowing mostly) it warms you up and when you're done a place hopping in the truck and warming up was great, sure it gets cold but once you're moving you heat up pretty quickly.
But I have to say, Fall/Spring are my favourite seasons, cool enough that you can wear a sweater and walk around without sweating. Sad that those seasons are so short here, I swear Spring this year jumped from -5 to 30 C in like two weeks.

Depends on the person, I guess.

I'm not a fan of sweaters though, so I like going straight from winter jackets to short/no sleeve.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#16253 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 September 2018 - 04:39 PM

If you do that you won't have to worry about any panicked visits to the clinic

#16254 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:43 PM

View PostMacros, on 12 September 2018 - 03:32 PM, said:

Toby was back a few months ago for about 30 seconds.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#16255 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:44 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 12 September 2018 - 05:43 PM, said:

He contacted me a couple of weeks ago. Life is busy for him I think.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#16256 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:45 PM

DC Tiste Simeon? :no
Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#16257 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 12 September 2018 - 07:36 PM

View PostBriar King, on 12 September 2018 - 04:37 PM, said:

I want to run naked but with shoes in the snow.

It's not as uncommon as you think, especially in university towns...
A friend once tried to do just that and then go swimming in the frozen river but we stopped him before he did, seeing as he'd die and all. Ah alcohol.
In the language of flowers corn stands for trust.

#16258 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 September 2018 - 07:39 PM

Posted Image
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#16259 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 12 September 2018 - 07:43 PM

View PostCause, on 11 September 2018 - 01:15 PM, said:

I am sad I did not receive a bread making machine though, is chocolate chip, cinnamon bread a thing? Puck you should make that!

I think the thing you're looking for is named cake. Though bread rolls with chocolate chips and cinnamon are actually a thing here. Now I want those, damn it. But I've got onion bread for this week, will be hard enough to finish that since I'm alone at home for a couple of weeks.

Nice! Fingers crossed for you!

Making me happy is that I got a haircut today. I love haircuts, they feel so refreshing!
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#16260 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:34 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 12 September 2018 - 06:44 PM, said:

View PostSlow Ben, on 12 September 2018 - 05:43 PM, said:

He contacted me a couple of weeks ago. Life is busy for him I think.

That urchin cutpurse racket is no joke.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

Share this topic:

• 968 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users