Whats making you happy right now

#19121 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 19 November 2023 - 03:14 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 19 November 2023 - 06:49 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 19 November 2023 - 03:15 AM, said:

I got a Magic card that I've wanted for years. Little cardboard rectangle that costs a big bunch of money. It's going to do fun stuff for me, so I'm happy.

Which card?

It's a Bazaar of Baghdad in very good condition.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#19122 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 November 2023 - 04:13 PM

View Postamphibian, on 19 November 2023 - 03:14 PM, said:

I got a Magic card that I've wanted for years. Little cardboard rectangle that costs a big bunch of money. It's going to do fun stuff for me, so I'm happy.

Which card?

Whoa they're going for $2k? Pretty sure I had a few of those, never thought they might be valuable. Edges are probably scuffed though.

I should really look through what's become valuable now and try to sort it from the rest of my old Magic cards. They're still in my elderly parents' house and my father could easily throw them away if he starts losing it. He's an investment manager and he used to berate me back in the early to mid 90's about how my Alpha/Beta Black Lotuses and Mox gemstones etc.---not to mention all the packs I was buying---were a terrible waste of money because they'd be worthless in a few years. Which I used as an excuse to actually play with them....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 19 November 2023 - 04:13 PM

#19123 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 19 November 2023 - 07:23 PM

View Postamphibian, on 19 November 2023 - 03:14 PM, said:

Which card?

Ah, a fancy tutor. Nice! How come you decided to buy vs proxying?

#19124 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 November 2023 - 07:27 PM

I believe I've reached my breaking point in being over-stressed and obsessed about the war.
That point where people stop feeling guilty about having a life while incredibly horrific shit is happening elsewhere.
Finally forced myself to make it to the pool, and then weighed myself and realized I need to start paying more attention to myself-including drastically improving sleep hygiene

Think it may have something to do with my mom and grandfather being on vacation this week, so I don't have to be exposed to her near-breakdown state on a permanent basis, but I generally feel like some tumbler in my brain finally flicked, and I can just de-emphasize the things I've been basically obsessed with for the past 2 years.

It feels odd. But also good. Need to turn this impulse into something positive.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#19125 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 22 November 2023 - 08:15 PM

Okay, the HR interview last Friday was a little odd. More of a final check for fit from HR and a few questions that their psychometric test seems to generate based on my answers. Honestly nothing you wouldn't expect from a standard HR interview. The company im trying to be hired for was recently acquired by a much larger company, so I think the problem is that there are almost two HR departments which have not completely aligned yet. I was asked if I was willing to start December or January. Told the interview process may be over but that it would be up to HR of the bigger company to inform me of next steps. I didn't want to spend the whole of thanksgiving weekend worrying about next steps so I emailed to prompt for an update and have been offered a call with the bigger companies HR on Tuesdays. I'm trying still not to get too excited but I feel like it is a good sign.

I have never heard of a rejection over the phone rather than an email but its possible and I am sure it does happen. Still if I get a rejection after waiting almost a week for a scheduled call with HR I think I will be furious. Rather than polite that would strike me as cruel.

#19126 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 22 November 2023 - 08:43 PM

View PostCause, on 22 November 2023 - 08:15 PM, said:

Okay, the HR interview last Friday was a little odd. More of a final check for fit from HR and a few questions that their psychometric test seems to generate based on my answers. Honestly nothing you wouldn't expect from a standard HR interview. The company im trying to be hired for was recently acquired by a much larger company, so I think the problem is that there are almost two HR departments which have not completely aligned yet. I was asked if I was willing to start December or January. Told the interview process may be over but that it would be up to HR of the bigger company to inform me of next steps. I didn't want to spend the whole of thanksgiving weekend worrying about next steps so I emailed to prompt for an update and have been offered a call with the bigger companies HR on Tuesdays. I'm trying still not to get too excited but I feel like it is a good sign.

I have never heard of a rejection over the phone rather than an email but its possible and I am sure it does happen. Still if I get a rejection after waiting almost a week for a scheduled call with HR I think I will be furious. Rather than polite that would strike me as cruel.

I think this sounds really positive! Please let us know how it goes!
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#19127 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 22 November 2023 - 10:49 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 19 November 2023 - 04:13 PM, said:

Whoa they're going for $2k? Pretty sure I had a few of those, never thought they might be valuable. Edges are probably scuffed though.

I should really look through what's become valuable now and try to sort it from the rest of my old Magic cards. They're still in my elderly parents' house and my father could easily throw them away if he starts losing it. He's an investment manager and he used to berate me back in the early to mid 90's about how my Alpha/Beta Black Lotuses and Mox gemstones etc.---not to mention all the packs I was buying---were a terrible waste of money because they'd be worthless in a few years. Which I used as an excuse to actually play with them....

I would be happy to help you go through the cards for free if you go get them. There could be anything from nothing to a bunch of money there.

No percentage or anything for me other than maybe a couple beers to share.

#19128 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 22 November 2023 - 10:54 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 19 November 2023 - 07:23 PM, said:

Ah, a fancy tutor. Nice! How come you decided to buy vs proxying?

I'm someone who believes in having at least one of a card before I write on a blank card/proxy/basic land what that card would be in another deck. I don't really care what other people do (minus the gross/icky stuff), yet this is what I feel most comfortable with doing.

Have sunk a ton of play money into my cards over the decade I've been taking this seriously and my collection is pretty rad as a result. Of the Reserved List, the only big ticket items seen in EDH I don't have are Timetwister and Mishra's Workshop. I don't have any of the Power 9 minus an Amy Weber painted card of Time Walk on a blank card.

Everything else I have and play around with rather than shutting up in a binder forever.

#19129 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 22 November 2023 - 10:55 PM

View PostCause, on 22 November 2023 - 08:15 PM, said:

Good luck to you!

#19130 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 22 November 2023 - 11:09 PM

View Postamphibian, on 22 November 2023 - 10:49 PM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 19 November 2023 - 04:13 PM, said:

I would be happy to help you go through the cards for free if you go get them. There could be anything from nothing to a bunch of money there.

No percentage or anything for me other than maybe a couple beers to share.

You have an alpha/beta black lotus? They are worth tens of thousands even in played condition no?

For the love of god man secure your collection asap!

I miss MTG, it was insanely expensive to play in South Africa, when they turned to the new set and told me my decks were unplayable I realised I didnt want to stay in that churn. Now in dollar terms it may not seem so bad but I think that part of my life has mostly sailed. I have thought about maybe buying a premade commander and just trying for fun but I also think commander becomes the kind of game where the deck with the most power cards wins most of the time.

This post has been edited by Cause: 22 November 2023 - 11:11 PM

#19131 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 27 November 2023 - 08:49 AM

Despite the cost of the job eating into my wages for the next year the car repair means it's driving really nicely again. Had to relearn the clutch on the bloody thing though as it's way sensitive again!

Also I found a VGA-HDMI adaptor for £7 that actually works so I can integrate my Gamecube into my streaming setup. It occasionally has a glitch where it bloops what's on screen and then I have to reset the capcard on OBS to rectify but I can probably rig a toggle to my streamdeck to do that. Overall it worked BEAUTIFULLY last night.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#19132 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 27 November 2023 - 09:36 PM

Okay so they just switched my 5th round Inerview from HR to be with the VP of global sales again. This remains things moving in a positive direction but I have never interviewed with the same person twice before.

#19133 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 November 2023 - 11:53 PM

Second date vibes.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#19134 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 November 2023 - 12:04 AM

Seem to have finally gotten the audio to stop crackling (when it's not supposed to) on my new 'usually $3000' laptop that I got for music production... so much for expensive Dell Alienware shit being dependable (or perhaps 'cheap for a reason' when it is...). Though to be fair the true culprit is probably AMD.

#19135 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 November 2023 - 01:12 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 28 November 2023 - 12:04 AM, said:

Seem to have finally gotten the audio to stop crackling (when it's not supposed to) on my new 'usually $3000' laptop that I got for music production... so much for expensive Dell Alienware shit being dependable (or perhaps 'cheap for a reason' when it is...). Though to be fair the true culprit is probably AMD.

... and naturally the crackling has come back... when doing something that should have been (and almost certainly was) using minimal cpu.

Too late to return the laptop. Barely used it when I first got it because I hate the keyboard and the trackpad.

Oh well, I might want to buy a new computer in a year or two anyway for the new AI chips....

#19136 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 November 2023 - 01:18 PM

Dude, Dell is shit.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#19137 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 November 2023 - 02:48 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 28 November 2023 - 01:18 PM, said:

Dude, Dell is shit for gaming systems.

ftfy, i love my dell and will strike down anyone who besmirches her honour.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#19138 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 November 2023 - 03:26 PM

View PostAbyss, on 28 November 2023 - 02:48 PM, said:

It's Alienware (a subsidiary of Dell), which I thought had a good reputation---for gaming systems at least....

#19139 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 28 November 2023 - 04:19 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 28 November 2023 - 03:26 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 28 November 2023 - 02:48 PM, said:

It's Alienware (a subsidiary of Dell), which I thought had a good reputation---for gaming systems at least....

That was many years ago - prior to the Dell purchase. They used to be pretty much top of the line ready made gaming stuff with very high prices attached, then Dell bought them, moved down the component quality while keeping the top of line prices.

#19140 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 29 November 2023 - 08:53 AM

Managed to sort my Gamecube stick drift out, turns out the console / controller has an inbuilt calibration system. Nice nice nice.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

Share this topic:

• 965 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users