• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whats making you happy right now

#18541 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 07 July 2022 - 12:51 AM

Someone destroyed the Georgia guideatones finally..

Good riddance

( creepy atuuf)
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#18542 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 July 2022 - 01:29 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 07 July 2022 - 12:51 AM, said:

Good riddance

( creepy atuuf)

Guess you're hoping Stonehenge will be next?

Why oh why didn't some good Christians 'blow up that creepy shit'... not even back during Cromwell's glorious reign, eh?

'an explosion hit the stones, destroying the Swahili/Hindi language slab and causing significant damage to the capstone.'

Georgia Guidestones - Wikipedia

Hmm....

#18543 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 July 2022 - 03:35 AM

It's like those pesky Buddha statues in Afghanistan.

#18544 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 July 2022 - 04:35 AM

The right to exist starts and ends with whether someone with a bomb designates you or your things creepy or not. Basic principles of sovereignty.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#18545 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 July 2022 - 12:04 AM

The musk of Elon won't taint the - echo chamber / ideology reinforcement machine / dunk on someone and give them a proper public haranguing / I TOLD YOU SO HAHAHA YOU'RE WRONG I WIN! YOU SUCK LOSER! - machine. ... so it's a push, therefore no change, ergo more of the same that is destroying us, which has infected all aspects of public and private discourse? ergo not even giving a modicum of respect to someone who has a different viewpoint or opinion on a topic? cool! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#18546 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 10 July 2022 - 12:24 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 07 July 2022 - 01:29 AM, said:

Good riddance

( creepy atuuf)

Why oh why didn't some good Christians 'blow up that creepy shit'... not even back during Cromwell's glorious reign, eh?

'an explosion hit the stones, destroying the Swahili/Hindi language slab and causing significant damage to the capstone.'

Hmm....

Well it did advocate for the death of like 5.5 billion people. Guess that would be cool for some people..got be accepting of all ideas

Wait did u even read them lol

Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
Guide reproduction wisely – improving fitness and diversity.
Unite humanity with a living new language.
Rule passion – faith – tradition – and all things with tempered reason.
Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
Balance personal rights with social duties.
Prize truth – beauty – love – seeking harmony with the infinite.
Be not a cancer on the Earth – Leave room for nature – Leave room for nature.

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 10 July 2022 - 12:30 AM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#18547 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 July 2022 - 01:02 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 10 July 2022 - 12:24 AM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 07 July 2022 - 01:29 AM, said:

Good riddance

( creepy atuuf)

Hmm....

Well it did advocate for the death of like 5.5 billion people. Guess that would be cool for some people..got be accepting of all ideas

Wait did u even read them lol

Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
Guide reproduction wisely – improving fitness and diversity.
Unite humanity with a living new language.
Rule passion – faith – tradition – and all things with tempered reason.
Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
Balance personal rights with social duties.
Prize truth – beauty – love – seeking harmony with the infinite.
Be not a cancer on the Earth – Leave room for nature – Leave room for nature.

That doesn't imply 'we need to murder 5.5 billion people'; as a long-term goal, it just requires enough people to decide not to produce children.

'More young people are opting not to have kids not only because they can't afford them but also because they assume they'll have only a scorched or sodden wasteland to grow up in. An increasingly popular retirement plan is figuring civilization will collapse before you have to worry about it. I'm not sure anyone's composed a more eloquent epitaph for the planet than the stand-up comedian Kath Barbadoro, who tweeted: "It's pretty funny that the world is ending and we all just have to keep going to our little jobs lol."'

Opinion | It's Time to Stop Living the American Scam - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 10 July 2022 - 01:10 AM

#18548 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 July 2022 - 01:21 AM

Or to produce children at below the reproduction rate (given enough time...).

Personally I'm optimistic about overpopulation not being a major issue over the next 100 years, but it's a reasonable position.

A system in which people are taught from an early age that producing children of their own is not necessarily a virtue, and in which all people (who can) donate to sperm or egg banks, with the best possible combinations (and ideal diversity and random variations) calculated by AI to determine the next generation and unauthorized reproduction prevented by medical procedures, might actually be more rational---and preferable. (While it's true that many people desire children, it seems that parental instincts can be satisfied by raising, or helping to raise, other peoples' children---or pets, or possibly even virtual children (perhaps in raising virtual children they could educate (or re-educate) themselves, their own 'inner childs', towards greater virtue and understanding).)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 10 July 2022 - 01:23 AM

#18549 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 July 2022 - 01:24 AM

Wouldn’t be super surprising if its mysterious architects were Malthus-addled eugenicists though.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#18550 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 July 2022 - 05:15 AM

Almost picked a fight w Margaret Atwood on twitter.
Decided that was probably a bad idea.
She posted a picture of herself looking smug, sitting waterside holding a mug with the words 'I told you so'.
Predictably people started attacking, I caught the thread early, and in response to someone posting 'gloating isnt virtuous' she replied 'I never claimed to be virtuous'.
And I almost, almost, posted... 'you also never claimed to be a science fiction writer'.
If you're familiar with her history of denying she writes sf til handmaids tale tv took off, then reversing herself, you know why this is both funny and a huge burn. But still a bad idea.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#18551 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 July 2022 - 02:52 PM

'Turning white blood cells into medicinal microrobots with light

Medicinal microrobots could help physicians better treat and prevent diseases. But most of these devices are made with synthetic materials that trigger immune responses [...] researchers [...] used lasers to precisely control neutrophils—a type of white blood cell—as a natural, biocompatible microrobot in living fish. The "neutrobots" performed multiple tasks, showing they could someday deliver drugs to precise locations in the body.

[...] cells already present in the body, such as neutrophils, could be a less invasive alternative for drug delivery [...]

[...] focused laser beams as remote optical tweezers. The light-driven microrobot could be moved [...] three times faster than a neutrophil naturally moves. In their experiments, the researchers used the optical tweezers to precisely and actively control the functions that neutrophils conduct as part of the immune system. [...] a neutrobot was moved through a blood vessel wall into the surrounding tissue. Another one picked up and transported a plastic nanoparticle, showing its potential for carrying medicine. And when a neutrobot was pushed toward red blood cell debris, it engulfed the pieces.'

Turning white blood cells into medicinal microrobots with light

Though they'd still have to get the nanoparticles (of drugs etc.) into the body, assuming they're not already present....

Posted Image

'A boost in performance in fiber-integrated quantum memories

Quantum memories are one of the building blocks of the future quantum internet. Without them, it would be rather impossible to transmit quantum information over long distances and expand into a real quantum network. These memories have the mission of receiving the quantum information encoded in a photon in the form of qubits, storing it and then retrieving it. Quantum memories can be realized in different material systems, for example ensembles of cold atoms or doped crystals.

[...] since the entanglement was shared between a visible photon stored in the quantum memory, and one at telecom wavelengths, the team also proved that the system is entirely compatible with telecommunications infrastructure and suitable for long-distance quantum communication.'

A boost in performance in fiber-integrated quantum memories

#18552 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 July 2022 - 03:24 PM

View PostAbyss, on 13 July 2022 - 05:15 AM, said:

She posted a picture of herself looking smug, sitting waterside holding a mug with the words 'I told you so'.
Predictably people started attacking, I caught the thread early, and in response to someone posting 'gloating isnt virtuous' she replied 'I never claimed to be virtuous'.
And I almost, almost, posted... 'you also never claimed to be a science fiction writer'.
If you're familiar with her history of denying she writes sf til handmaids tale tv took off, then reversing herself, you know why this is both funny and a huge burn. But still a bad idea.

I thought the point of Twitter was to send people spiteful comments?

#18553 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 July 2022 - 04:05 PM

View PostAptorian, on 13 July 2022 - 03:24 PM, said:

... and (in case anybody fails at that) to strive to misinterpret any comments in the worst of all possible ways (not sure what the best terms might be for the opposite of 'charitable interpretation')....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 13 July 2022 - 04:06 PM

#18554 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 July 2022 - 05:31 PM

During Prime Day shopping I finally found a Tums equivalent without any sugar or artificial sweetener (or other additives)---not tablets but the active ingredient in (apparently) pure powder form. Was concerned about getting the dosage right---directions say '1 scoop' without defining what a scoop is---but from the customer Q&A apparently this defines 'a scoop' by coming with a scoop. Should be arriving today. (But lead me not (further) into gluttony... I shall be fasting for this day's remainder. Still intermittently gorging on unsalted cashews in my memory---enough to satiate my silly desire, and let go of the loops.)

Think I got something like 20% off plus 6% cash back on Prime Day vs 10% off and 2% back for Subscribe and Save. Wonder where I might be able to get it cheaper in bulk... then again it might eventually go bad.

Amazon.com: Nutricost Calcium Carbonate Powder 500 Grams : Health & Household

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 15 July 2022 - 08:11 PM

#18555 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 July 2022 - 02:18 PM

I mean, not unexpected but still something that makes me and USA! USA! USA! happy - USWNT defeats Canada in CONCACAF Championship.

#18556 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 July 2022 - 07:31 PM

'New physics law could predict genetic mutations

[...] The paper finds the second law of information dynamics, or "infodynamics," behaves differently to the second law of thermodynamics—a discovery that could have massive implications for future developments in genome research, evolutionary biology, computing, big data, physics, and cosmology.

[...] "if the second law of thermodynamics states that entropy needs to stay constant or increase over time, I thought that perhaps information entropy would be the same."

"But [...] found [...] the exact opposite—it decreases over time. The second law of information dynamics works exactly in opposition to the second law of thermodynamics."

[...] "The worldwide consensus is that mutations take place at random and then natural selection dictates whether the mutation is good or bad for an organism," [...] If the mutation is beneficial for an organism, it will be kept.

"But what if there is a hidden process that drives these mutations? Every time we see something we don't understand, we describe it as 'random' or 'chaotic' or 'paranormal,' but it's only our inability to explain it."

"If we can start looking at genetic mutations from a deterministic point of view, we can exploit this new physics law to predict mutations—or the probability of mutations—before they take place."

[...] "The best example of something that undergoes a number of mutations in a short space of time is a virus. The pandemic has given us the ideal test sample as SARS-CoV-2 mutated into so many variants and the data available is unbelievable."

"The COVID data confirms the second law of infodynamics and the research opens up unlimited possibilities. Imagine looking at a particular genome and judging whether a mutation is beneficial before it happens. This could be game-changing technology which could be used in genetic therapies, the pharmaceutical industry, evolutionary biology, and pandemic research."'

New physics law could predict genetic mutations

#18557 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 July 2022 - 09:44 PM

Potentially good news on the inflation and mass starvation fronts:

'Chinese scientists have found a rice gene that can boost yield and shorten the growth cycle

Over-expressing the gene in a common species can increase yield by more than 50 per cent and it can be harvested over two weeks early

[...] has been testing this since 2018 in areas with different climates[...]

[...] team's findings were published in Science [...]

"The gene can also be used in different crops,"'

Chinese scientists have found a rice gene that can boost yield and shorten the growth cycle

'Farmers Left With Glut of Strawberries and Cherries After Heatwave Growth Spurt'

UK Strawberry, Cherry Season: Farmers Left With Glut of Crops After Heatwave

'Russia and Ukraine reached a deal aimed at releasing millions of tons of grain through Ukraine's Black Sea ports that would mark a vital step toward shoring up global food supplies. Still, many logistical hurdles remain and it is uncertain how quickly exports will progress with Russia's war still raging—or whether Moscow will follow through at all.'

Ukraine, Russia Sign Deal to Unblock Grain Exports From Black Sea Ports

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 22 July 2022 - 09:44 PM

#18558 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 July 2022 - 11:01 PM

99 degrees out yesterday, 100 degrees out today, haven't used any air conditioning... and my apartment has remained =< 79 degrees. Heat wave has already started fading away from its peak today, and should effectively be over by tomorrow.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 24 July 2022 - 11:01 PM

#18559 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 25 July 2022 - 07:53 AM

View PostAptorian, on 13 July 2022 - 03:24 PM, said:

Man our twitters are markedly different
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#18560 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 25 July 2022 - 11:39 PM

I have secured a ps5! Through sams club.

I have defied the dirty scalpers and I have a ps5 and it only took 2 years!!

Share this topic:

• 965 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook