• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Olympics Thread

#81 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:50 AM

You aren't getting them live RLY? Okay, now that I've asked that stupid question: I wonder why they are tape-delaying it out there.

You did have an absolute hell of a spoiler. I thought there was absolutely no way he was going to win that the entire time.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#82 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:03 AM

They delay it because otherwise it would start too early out here, before people got off work. It's stupid, they should make their schedule according to the unemployed like me.
Error: Signature not valid

#83 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:00 AM

I knew there was a reason I hated the Western Time Zone. You can get up real f**kng late and catch all the new stuff.

Still, I'd watch it. I imagine it and the other swimming race where the guy came out of nowhere to give Phelps #4 or whatever are the two highlights so far.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#84 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:47 AM

I saw it, and that was soooo close. The slow-mo replay even looks like he lost.

#85 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 16 August 2008 - 12:01 PM

Why don't they show it live as well? We have live coverage and delayed highlights...
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#86 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:37 PM

I'm disappointed in Bolt now, he just stopped bothering and slowed down a third of the way from the end. Imagine how fast he'd have been if he was running at full speed.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#87 User is offline   SilentHunter 

• I hate silence!!

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:38 PM

100m mens final sprint was amazing!........Usain Bolt cracked the world record yet again(9.68 sec)

#88 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:40 PM

caladanbrood;370374 said:

Why don't they show it live as well? We have live coverage and delayed highlights...

That's a very good question. maybe if I had a more extensive cable package I could see it live, but as it is, I can't.

#89 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:54 PM

If I was the guy who was about to beat Michael Phelps in the 100 fly, I'd have broken all ten fingers to tag that wall first.

I honestly hope nobody big goes down for doping now or later, like Marion Jones did. It would truly be nice to have all the big stars knock our socks off continually and be clean.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#90 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 17 August 2008 - 12:01 AM

Usain Bolt was incredible earlier today. Running 9.68/9 whilst taunting with 20m left to go and shutting down with 10m was awesome. I was glad to see such a spectacle, and I'm confident that Bolt is clean although you never can be sure.

#91 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:24 AM

Bolt was astonishing, he stopped sprinting with about 15m left in the race!

Great weekend for Team GB so far, 7 golds, plus at least 1 more guarenteed, because the final of one of the cycling events is between 2 brits.

Shame for Paula Radcliffe though, would have been a wonderful story if she'd managed to place. Ah well, you can't win em all, and she did wonderfully, all things considered.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#92 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:29 AM

Cult of Dessembrae+;370472 said:

Usain Bolt was incredible earlier today. Running 9.68/9 whilst taunting with 20m left to go and shutting down with 10m was awesome. I was glad to see such a spectacle, and I'm confident that Bolt is clean although you never can be sure.

It was an impressive performance, but I was turned off by the showboating. He could have set a truly staggering record had he not decided to show off. I understand the excitement, but come on. Finish the race, go down in history with what could have been an unbeatable time, show off after you cross the line. No need to taunt your opponents, especially while the race is still going. I was halfway hoping he would trip at the end.

#93 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:44 AM

People are saying Bolt could be well on his way to beating Michael Johnson's 200m world record, he won't do it by show boating though. If you've ever seen the 200m world record MJ is sprinting the entirety of the last 100m, he ran it in 9.3 seconds I believe. This is one of the most unassailable records in Athletics history next to Seb Coe's 800m (before Kipketer) and Sergey Bubka's pole vault record.

#94 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:22 AM

Damn, the Chinese are beating that ass in the gold medal count.

#95 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:46 AM

Yet more cycling gold for Team GB! Wiggins is an utter legend!

#96 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:39 PM

I can't believe how well GB is doing. We're going to lose our sense of national identity if we actually do well at something!!

I loved Bolt's showboating. Come on, you've got to love the arrogant swine if he can actually get away with showboating and winning that well. It's entertaining.

I was wondering how come the BBC have Michael Johnson on their athletics pundit panel? I would have expected him to be bought up by a US network.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#97 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:22 PM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;370537 said:

It was an impressive performance, but I was turned off by the showboating. He could have set a truly staggering record had he not decided to show off. I understand the excitement, but come on. Finish the race, go down in history with what could have been an unbeatable time, show off after you cross the line. No need to taunt your opponents, especially while the race is still going. I was halfway hoping he would trip at the end.

This way, he can improve it again. And maybe another time. If he ran his best ever, he could cash in on it just once. I say he's using Bubka/Isinbajeva tactics :D Oh, and he's a showboat of course...
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#98 User is offline   Flawed 

• Flawed
  • Interests:winning the lotto
  • Id like some peace....

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:28 PM

I felt a little cheated on the whole 100m front. Bolt is amazing. He should of run to the end though. 9.5 ? ? he can surely still go faster.

Although. It is nice to have a personality like him in the sport. On an interview after he did say that he didnt even realise he had broken the record. He was chuffed he won.

As to the 200m record. It will be hard but im sure he can do it. If he runs the entire way.

9.3 for the last 100m is amazing by Johnson but that is with a running start going full pelt at the time. and Bolts full pelt is a lot more the Johnsons was i think.

The olympics is great
"I think i was a bad person before. Before this time. I do not try to be good now but i am not bad. Perhaps if i try harder i may get a better hand dealt next time? But surely that makes it pointless? Perhaps i am good. Just good at being pointless. But that would make me bad. Bad at having a point. Ah…. I see now. I was nothing before, I am nothing now. I am bad purely because im pointless. "

EQ 10

#99 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:32 PM

I'm enjoying them. I always do. Even the sports I don't give a crap about for the rest of the time, I'll watch in Olympics.

#100 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:07 PM

Flawed;370837 said:

I felt a little cheated on the whole 100m front. Bolt is amazing. He should of run to the end though. 9.5 ? ? he can surely still go faster.

Although. It is nice to have a personality like him in the sport. On an interview after he did say that he didnt even realise he had broken the record. He was chuffed he won.

As to the 200m record. It will be hard but im sure he can do it. If he runs the entire way.

9.3 for the last 100m is amazing by Johnson but that is with a running start going full pelt at the time. and Bolts full pelt is a lot more the Johnsons was i think.

The olympics is great

Bolt can't sprint 200 metres like Johnson though, he doesn't have the speed endurance. He has the potential to break the record though, some day. He certainly has the raw speed.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users