• You cannot reply to this topic

The Olympics Thread

#121 User is offline   Flawed 

• Flawed
  • Group: Team Handsome
  • Interests:winning the lotto
  • Id like some peace....

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:38 PM

Just watched the 200M final. Bolt is awesome. I knew he could do it. He did well. Running the whole way too. Awesome
"I think i was a bad person before. Before this time. I do not try to be good now but i am not bad. Perhaps if i try harder i may get a better hand dealt next time? But surely that makes it pointless? Perhaps i am good. Just good at being pointless. But that would make me bad. Bad at having a point. Ah…. I see now. I was nothing before, I am nothing now. I am bad purely because im pointless. "

EQ 10

#122 User is offline   Giles 

• Demon of the inn
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Martial arts and Metal music

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:43 PM

Yeah that race was awesome, no showboating this time, you could tell he really wanted the record.
"Hollow. My name is Kurosaki Ichigo. You killed my mother. Bankai."

#123 User is offline   Flawed 

• Flawed
  • Id like some peace....

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:42 PM

Agreed. Im really pleased for him. Was quite funny. I work for a bank and the whole Trading floor was in one of the restaurants watching the race. Madness. I hope no one wanted to buy any gold at that point cos they would of been fudged.

Great atmosphere though. I couldnt resist shouting out " Come on Linford " when the starters pistol went off. :ehh:
"I think i was a bad person before. Before this time. I do not try to be good now but i am not bad. Perhaps if i try harder i may get a better hand dealt next time? But surely that makes it pointless? Perhaps i am good. Just good at being pointless. But that would make me bad. Bad at having a point. Ah…. I see now. I was nothing before, I am nothing now. I am bad purely because im pointless. "

EQ 10

#124 User is offline   Flawed 

• Flawed
  • Id like some peace....

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:50 PM

Immensely annoyed at the UK team in the relay.

There i was cheering them on and the dude went way to early on the last leg. Gaining the baton outside of the zone disqualifying the team.

USA were out too for dropping it. We could of got a medal by default people!

Crapola!

EQ 10

#125 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:40 PM

That's what you get for having a white guy in the team, stick to rowing and modern pentathlon kid, it's a fact (my favorite sprinter of all time Michael Johnson said it so it must be true) that a white man has never run a sub 10 hundred, well apart from me that time I pushed a copper and had to ride my beer scooter all the way home at full tilt.
I AM A TWAT

#126 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery

Posted 22 August 2008 - 01:09 PM

Did anyone see the Taekwondo, the British kid got rinsed in both the Semis and the Bronze fight, in the Semis' he lost on a point scored after the bell and in the other match he had to fight some Chinese guy and the judges wouldn't give him a point no matter what he did.

I was just thinking to myself that we had had an Olympics free of all those controversies about home decisions but then this happened.
I AM A TWAT

#127 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 August 2008 - 01:55 PM

Woooohoooo, the Dutch ladies hockey team has gold!
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#128 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual

Posted 22 August 2008 - 01:57 PM

Cougar;373249 said:

Did anyone see the Taekwondo, the British kid got rinsed in both the Semis and the Bronze fight, in the Semis' he lost on a point scored after the bell and in the other match he had to fight some Chinese guy and the judges wouldn't give him a point no matter what he did.

I was just thinking to myself that we had had an Olympics free of all those controversies about home decisions but then this happened.

I heard the gymnastics was controversial.

#129 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 22 August 2008 - 02:10 PM

Indeed the US were very sore losers in the team gymnastics, they complained about all sorts of stuff.

18 golds now for Team GB, they're doing wonderfully, and the aussies are getting more and more pissed off every day that goes by, which is certainly a bonus ;)
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#130 User is offline   Flawed 

• Flawed
  • Id like some peace....

Posted 22 August 2008 - 02:26 PM

1 x 400 m relay!!! New WR

Cos of Bolt i bet!

caladanbrood;373291 said:

18 golds now for Team GB, they're doing wonderfully,

what was the 18th one for chap?

EQ 10

#131 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:13 PM

Kayaking

Thing about the gymnastics was that the Chinese exploited the technicalities of the rules really well and boosted their difficulty score, which made it look less impressive than the USA which was all crash bang wallop circus tricks but missed points for difficulty.
I AM A TWAT

#132 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:20 PM

Did you guys watch the gymnastics or is this from second hand sources? I watched all of the men's and women's gymnastics. I don't have any big problems with the men's gymnastics, they seem to have been scored pretty fairly. The women's gymnastics, on the other hand, had some huge question marks in it. Like the girl who landed on her knees on vault winning bronze over competitors that didn't land on their knees.

Oh, and I think the fact that the IOC is conducting an investigation into the Chinese girl's age is fairly controversial, yes?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#133 User is offline   Flawed 

• Flawed
  • Id like some peace....

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:27 PM

Yeah they said she was 16 but she may be 14 or some such. Not sure why that would be a problem UK have a 14 year old Diver

EQ 10

#134 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:27 PM

You have to be 16 to compete in the gymnastics event Flawed.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#135 User is offline   Flawed 

• Flawed
  • Id like some peace....

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:41 PM

i knew that, oh dear.

EQ 10

#136 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:12 PM

Investigation, smestigation.

#137 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:27 PM

Some of the Americans looked pretty damn young too, if you ask me. Anyone raising questionmarks about them?

I watched the women's team gymnastics, but only UK highlights of the individual, which was basically focused around the Team GB competitor.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#138 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:33 PM

So are you comparing U.S. and Chinese transparency and think there isn't a difference?

Anyways, my problem isn't really with the age, it was with the scoring. There seemed to be some major question marks with me. Like above with the Chinese vaulter, and with others that I'm having trouble specifically remembering.

As a whole, the women's scoring just seemed off, and while I recognize that the judges were of an international flavor, it usually seemed the Chinese scores were the ones I questioned. I reiterate, I didn't see any of this in the men's competition. The Chinese men were far better than everyone else, and it showed.

#139 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:40 PM

I do have doubts as to why profesional gymnastics judges good enough to judge in the olympics would have inconsistancies like that. Which makes me think it's just sore losing. We haven't heard any problems with the scoring over here, it's purely from US sources that this is coming from, and yes, that makes me damn sceptical.

#140 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:50 PM

I can't find any sources outside the U.S. talking about judging discrepancies, so maybe I'm biased by my media sources.

However, I still don't understand some of the things that were done. Look at the women's individual vault and explain to me how the Chinese girl got bronze, because I can't figure it out. That's the one I have the biggest problem with. Besides that, some scores just didn't seem to make sense to me: On beam, the Chinese girls were balance checking really often, and didn't get the .1 deductions for each of them, their bar executions seemed a little high. They did excellently on floor and vault for the most part in team competition.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users