• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Olympics Thread

#41 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:15 PM

The Nigerians scored again in around the 80th minute. The U.S. earned a penalty in the 89th minute, then sent a header off a crossbar 2 minutes into stoppage time. The last ten minutes saw both sides basically sprinting up and down the field, goalies outside of the box tackling players, just a fantastic finish, despite the U.S. getting beat. If Orozco's in the game, I think the U.S. at least earn a draw, and probably win that game. They played well despite initial jitters. I think Wynne will end up in Europe in the next couple years, that guy is lights out fast.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#42 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:22 PM

That was a dumb elbow. Way to hurt the team, pal.
Error: Signature not valid

#43 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:34 PM

"Dumb" doesn't begin to describe it. That has to be one of the fastest red cards ever.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#44 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:31 PM

The way the announcers explained it, the players had been warned to expect that any intentional elbows would result in an automatic redcard. So, his own fault. The guy who got elbowed did flop pretty bad to draw attention to it. That's one of my biggest gripes about soccer, the flopping gets just silly sometimes.

#45 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:32 PM

As long as the rewards outweigh the risks it is going to happen.

#46 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:37 PM

If Phelps were a country, he'd be fifth in the medal table all on him own at the moment...
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#47 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:39 PM

If Chuck Norris were in the Olympics he wouldn't even have to compete and he'd win every medal. His anthem would be: "Born in the U.S.A."

Too bad for Michael Phelps that swimming doesn't have the profile that other sports have, or he'd make a jillion on endorsements.

#48 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:41 AM

That, plus he looks like an illegal genetic modification experiment crossing a man with a gibbon and fixing outboard motors instead of shoulder muscl- OH GOD HE JUST SLAPPED ME FROM BEIJING WITH HIS HUGE FREAK ARMS THROUGH THE WINDOW

HE'S STILL DOING IT DAMN IT FUCK OFF MICHAEL PHELPS YOU HAVE TO CONCENTRATE ON SWIMMING YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO PICKPOCKET ME

WHAT IF YOUR ARM IS HIT BY A PLANE? GET IT OUT OF MY ROOM YOU CRAZY FREAKY-ARMED MONSTER why am I typing my responses here, it's not like he can see with his arms HIS THUMB BLINKED FUCK FUCK FUCK
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#49 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:43 AM

Get 'em Mikey!

You know what they say about long arms don't yah...

#50 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:52 AM

Yes.

They're long.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#51 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:55 AM

I just can't get one past you. Well, other than that their long...

#52 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:02 AM

ON ESPN today, they said that Phelps has a 12,000 calorie a day diet...that's just wrong.

And yeah, dude is freaky looking.

#53 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:10 AM

His arms are longer than he is tall!

THAT'S NOT NATURAL

#54 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:25 AM

What is this stupid horse dancing? That's not a sport! What physical talent or athletic ability does this require?!?!?!?

#55 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:42 AM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;369586 said:

What is this stupid horse dancing? That's not a sport! What physical talent or athletic ability does this require?!?!?!?

Money. The aristocrats need to prove that they retain their Knightly ways and thus if the peasants revolt, they will equine dance around them.

#56 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:15 AM

Workers of the world unite against olympic horse dancing.

#57 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:16 AM

Slumgullion Spitteler;369581 said:

ON ESPN today, they said that Phelps has a 12,000 calorie a day diet...that's just wrong.

From the NY Post article:

Phelps' diet - which involves ingesting 4,000 calories every time he sits down for a meal - resembles that of a reckless overeater rather than an Olympian.

Phelps lends a new spin to the phrase "Breakfast of Champions" by starting off his day by eating three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise.

He follows that up with two cups of coffee, a five-egg omelet, a bowl of grits, three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar and three chocolate-chip pancakes.

At lunch, Phelps gobbles up a pound of enriched pasta and two large ham and cheese sandwiches slathered with mayo on white bread - capping off the meal by chugging about 1,000 calories worth of energy drinks.

For dinner, Phelps really loads up on the carbs - what he needs to give him plenty of energy for his five-hours-a-day, six-days-a-week regimen - with a pound of pasta and an entire pizza.

He washes all that down with another 1,000 calories worth of energy drinks.

I would bet that he doesn't actually eat all those in three giant meals, but scatters the eating throughout the day. I know during my swimming days a while back, I was probably eating somewhere between 5 and 6,000 calories a day of pretty much anything and I would actually lose weight over the season.

There's a 19 year old Russian kid in the Greco-Roman 60 kg division that won a gold medal without being scored on in the Olympics.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#58 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:53 PM

Man that Swedish who got the Bronze medal in the Greco-Roman was so pissed off that the Italian won after what he says was a uncorrect judjing that he threw the medal and left. I bet he would not be seen in international meetings for a loooooooooooong time.
Anyway...GO ITALY!GO!
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#59 User is offline   bwgan 

• OFFICIAL Keeper of Shiny Things of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:23 PM

Just to go back a bit - hubby used to play water polo and rugby union. He says there is NO contest, water polo is 100 times harder and tougher and nastier*. :eek:

I am not a sports lover, but I have to say that a few of the sports have me quite gripped. I mean cycling and swimming, who'd have thought they could be interesting. I used to do a bit of judo and badminton so quite like watching them...but canoeing and kyaking (spl?) are really exciting :shocked:, I'm amazed. No seriously, I am...got annoyed with myself when I caught myself watching the clay pigeon shooting though...I mean there is a limit!

*Anyway, he's watching women's beach volley ball at the moment so I'm not sure I'm speaking to him :).
'Tell me, Tool, what dominates your thoughts?'
The Imass shrugged before replying. 'I think of Mafia, Adjunct.'
'Do all Imass think about Mafia?'
'No. Few think at all.'
'Why is that?'
The Imass leaned his head to one side and regarded her. 'Because, Adjunct, they are sheeple.'

Sometimes I wonder, "Why is that frisbee getting bigger?" ... and then it hits me.

#60 User is offline   SilentHunter 

• I hate silence!!

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:01 PM

Phelps is 6ft 4 in and his outstretched arms measure 6ft 7in.........when he was a kid...his arms reached below his knees while standing straight....too long for a normal guy!

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users