• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#7521 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 June 2023 - 02:17 PM

For everyone who watched and enjoyed TED LASSO as good feel-good TV with a great story and great characters....you should be watching AppleTV+'s other feel-good show ACAPULCO. We just finished Season 2 (Season 3 is already in the works) and it's really just a very rewarding show. Compelling and filled with characters to root for!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7522 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 June 2023 - 03:08 PM

Started watching THE VENTURE BROS.

I Iike the homage to Johnny Quest, and it's pretty funny. I heard it gets better and better as it goes along, so I feel like maybe I'm in for a treat?

EDIT: Got the whole set as I have more than one friend who has said it's really great and has begged me for years to watch it. So here we go...

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 30 June 2023 - 03:09 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7523 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 July 2023 - 08:55 AM

Got to season 7 of Scrubs. I'm pretty much only still watching because of people repeatedly telling me how good the end of season 8 is.

It's really sad seeing such a well written show descend into every character being a caricature of their worst flaws and nothing more, and endlessly parading every sexist trope you can think of. All the women are mad! They're all terrfied of a set of scales! All the men are babies who need to grow up! Men are all just so dumb and need a woman to manage them! Did I mention all bitches be crazy? All women care about is marriage and babies!

I'd never expect anything that long running to maintain the peak of its quality throughout, but when you consider how good some of its best stuff is, what it becomes towards the end is a travesty.
- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#7524 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 02 July 2023 - 07:35 PM

Yes... A lot of it doesn't age too well - I rewatched it recently and while I still laughed lots, there was more stuff there that made me wince then there was back when I first watched it. Though an argument could be said for the individual journeys of (especially) JD and Turk show them to become a lot more respectful towards women.

They actually bring it up a bit on the Scrubs rewatch podcast they started in COVID, and Bill Lawrence (show creator) comes on quite a bit. It seems they've all grown up a bit themselves and Bill seems to be a Hollywood good guy (if such a thing exists!)

I hope you make it to the end, there's some very funny stuff in S8, and it contains the best (in my admittedly very biased opinion) finale in a show ever.

Season 9 does not exist.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7525 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 02 July 2023 - 08:26 PM

Halfway through the new season of Black Mirror. Genius as always.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 02 July 2023 - 08:28 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#7526 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 02 July 2023 - 09:43 PM

View Postchamp, on 27 June 2023 - 08:20 AM, said:

View PostSlow Ben, on 27 June 2023 - 02:57 AM, said:

View PostSlow Ben, on 30 May 2023 - 08:48 PM, said:

Awesome I can't wait to dig into the last season. Wrapping up the last half of succession, then Barry.

Finished Succession. 4 season and I can't really say whether I liked it or not. It was interesting, and I couldn't stop watching, but I wouldn't say that I really liked it. If that makes sense.

Realized The Bear season 2 was out so Barry got pushed to on deck.

The Bear!

The Bear season 2 is fantastic and has a very special and stress inducing episode, even more so than the first season. It also tops the first season in quality too which I didn't expect.

Season 2 was so, so damn good. Great writing, great acting, great cameos. They get so much growth and good stuff into 10 episodes. Gonna make the ole lady do a series re watch with me now.

"I wear suits now"

Now on to Barry. And apparently i need to watch Black Mirror.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7527 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 03 July 2023 - 06:47 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 02 July 2023 - 09:43 PM, said:

Awesome I can't wait to dig into the last season. Wrapping up the last half of succession, then Barry.

Finished Succession. 4 season and I can't really say whether I liked it or not. It was interesting, and I couldn't stop watching, but I wouldn't say that I really liked it. If that makes sense.

The Bear!

The Bear season 2 is fantastic and has a very special and stress inducing episode, even more so than the first season. It also tops the first season in quality too which I didn't expect.

Season 2 was so, so damn good. Great writing, great acting, great cameos. They get so much growth and good stuff into 10 episodes. Gonna make the ole lady do a series re watch with me now.

"I wear suits now"

Special, wasn't it. Everyone should watch the Christmas episode, even if just standalone, it is one of those standout TV episodes that happen every few years...

And I absolutely loved when you find out...

Spoiler

You peeps that have not watched The Bear are sleeping on a true TV delight!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#7528 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 03 July 2023 - 08:17 PM

View Postchamp, on 03 July 2023 - 06:47 PM, said:

View PostSlow Ben, on 02 July 2023 - 09:43 PM, said:

The Bear!

"I wear suits now"

Special, wasn't it. Everyone should watch the Christmas episode, even if just standalone, it is one of those standout TV episodes that happen every few years...

And I absolutely loved when you find out...

Spoiler

You peeps that have not watched The Bear are sleeping on a true TV delight!

100%.

#7529 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 04 July 2023 - 09:26 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 02 July 2023 - 07:35 PM, said:

Yes... A lot of it doesn't age too well - I rewatched it recently and while I still laughed lots, there was more stuff there that made me wince then there was back when I first watched it. Though an argument could be said for the individual journeys of (especially) JD and Turk show them to become a lot more respectful towards women.

They actually bring it up a bit on the Scrubs rewatch podcast they started in COVID, and Bill Lawrence (show creator) comes on quite a bit. It seems they've all grown up a bit themselves and Bill seems to be a Hollywood good guy (if such a thing exists!)

I hope you make it to the end, there's some very funny stuff in S8, and it contains the best (in my admittedly very biased opinion) finale in a show ever.

Season 9 does not exist.

Fully intend to watch to the end of series 8 :) and I realise it was made a good while ago and people grow up in the intervening years. Think it's just sad there's such a chasm between the best and worst of the same show.

Full disclosure: we're so deep in the house saleand purchase now things like this are irritating me much more than normal. I think we'll probably give it a rest (we've been watching it most days) and come back when I'm feeling less murderous about everything Posted Image

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 04 July 2023 - 09:27 AM

- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#7530 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 04 July 2023 - 04:33 PM

I'd go watch Cougar Town.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7531 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 04 July 2023 - 07:56 PM

View Postamphibian, on 04 July 2023 - 04:33 PM, said:

I'd go watch Cougar Town.

I'll be honest, everything Bill Lawrence touches is gold IMO. Cougar Town is fabulous, and I'm currently watching and enjoying Spin City.

Not got round to Ted Lasso and Shrinking yet cos I don't have Apple TV but I'll get it for those two shows eventually!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7532 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 July 2023 - 12:18 AM

I’m watching Shrinking right now. It’s cute.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7533 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 July 2023 - 12:39 PM

Just finished In Limbo. 6 part series of 25 min episodes made by Australia's ABC (think our version of BBC). Comedy-drama. Set in Brisbane too, so I had fun spotting the landmarks.
I can't give away too much aside from the main character's (Charlie) best friend (Nate) dies suddenly and without explanation, but then appears to Charlie as a ghost. Is he a ghost? Is he a projection?
Charlie tries to figure out WTF is going on and why, while sorting out his own shit and trying to help with the wife and daughter Nate left behind. Both funnier and more serious than I summarised, worth a look. Different.

Good to see the writers didn't compromise their intent during and at the end of the series.

I guess you can watch it on ABC iView (ABC streaming service, free) or maybe by *coughcough* other means. ;)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7534 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 06 July 2023 - 08:26 PM

Finished watching both seasons of The White Lotus and man that's some compelling storytelling there. Fantastic stuff! Jennifer Coolidge especially is a wonder, she is utterly bonkers in this show.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7535 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 06 July 2023 - 10:47 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 06 July 2023 - 08:26 PM, said:

Finished watching both seasons of The White Lotus and man that's some compelling storytelling there. Fantastic stuff! Jennifer Coolidge especially is a wonder, she is utterly bonkers in this show.

Spoiler

#7536 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 07 July 2023 - 08:53 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 06 July 2023 - 10:47 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 06 July 2023 - 08:26 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7537 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 July 2023 - 03:27 PM

WARRIOR is back on HBO Max! Seaons 3 baby! Love this show!

#7538 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 12 July 2023 - 03:35 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 July 2023 - 03:27 PM, said:

WARRIOR is back on HBO Max! Seaons 3 baby! Love this show!

Waiting for it all to come out the binging this!!!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#7539 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 July 2023 - 08:12 PM

1. Finished Daisy Jones and the Six. A great reminder that 'Emmy-nominated' and 'based on a bestselling novel' do not necessarily equal consistently good writing or acting. First few episodes are a slog that leans heavily on the physical attractiveness of the male leads. The (digitally?) aged version of the main male lead probably has a more handsome face, but looks distractingly like Kevin Sorbo, who's best known these days for being an outspoken Trump cultist. He has one of the worst and most overdone 'standard' US accents I've ever heard from an English actor in a major US TV series, with his English accent sometimes becoming clearly audible when he gets 'emotional'; and his acting is spotty as well---he does a very unconvincing stumbling drunk at one point (is it so hard to just let the actor get drunk for one scene?... clearly no commitment to his craft! kidding, I guess asking the actor to get drunk or take other drugs or else get fired is probably illegal these days? oh the high art we're missing...).

Large chunks of the plot seem like what I'd expect from a corporate brainstorming session on what most US women would find appealing or 'relatable' (at least as 'fantasy'). One stereotype about women or their fantasies/fears/etc. after another, and the dialogue is extremely on the nose about it. Still, it seems to avoid stereotypes that most women would probably consider sexist---wonder if the novel was focus grouped and survey-tested before publication?... There's probably more depth in the novel, but in the show they seem perfunctory, just going-through-the-motions---possibly just checking off major plot points lest book fans complain. Since the book was in fact a best-seller---and clearly targeted at women---I decided to keep watching if only for 'educational' purposes.

About midway in it starts getting pretty good for long stretches. The two leads are great when they're doing duets.

The ending was like a clever solution to an emotional logic problem based on the expected attitudes of the average US woman.

2. Finished I'm a Virgo. The title and what I'd read about the premise---boy is born a giant---didn't seem appealing. The fact that so many educated people still believe their star signs determine their personality irks me, and the goofy premise suggested the creators might number among them.

It's very good. Funny and poetic. There are one or two places where it gets maybe a little too corny, but overall it's pretty great.

The actual premise is more like (I wouldn't consider these spoilers, but I'll spoiler anyway in case you want to be completely surprised):

Spoiler

As for the title---this is a bit of an actual spoiler---

Spoiler

#7540 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 16 July 2023 - 11:38 AM

Season 5 of What we do in the shadows - aw yeah! :D :thumbsup:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

Share this topic:

• 389 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users