• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#7561 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 August 2023 - 02:45 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 12 August 2023 - 01:07 PM, said:

Finished watching Deadloch. Not one of the greatest tv shows ever, but I found it mildly interesting and moderately entertaining. While the plot meanders a bit, it was rarely a slog.

The most interesting thing about it is the sociology of the setting---a small town in Tasmania that a large number of lesbians have moved to in about the last five years (despite homophobic patriarchal townsfolk), that's now holding a 'Feastival'. There are also Indigenous people who feature prominently, though not among the main leads (one is Fijian-Indian, but that means 'person from Fiji of (India) Indian ethnicity').

The murder mystery is mildly interesting---poetically grisly description without excessively graphic depiction---and the plot is relatively original.

There's lots of obvious humor, but it's hackneyed, rarely witty, and generally not delivered well. With some actors making unrealistic silly faces and overdoing the body language while underdoing the vocal delivery (treating the obvious jokes like throw-away lines).

Overall I found it worth watching.

Wouldn't really consider the answers to these questions spoilers but I'll spoiler just in case:

Was the ending 'satisfying'?

Spoiler

Were there sufficient clues to deduce the identity of the killer(s) in advance?

Spoiler

#7562 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 August 2023 - 04:21 PM

WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME THEY REBOOTED TAKESHI'S CASTLE?! AND THAT KITANO HIMSELF IS EVEN BACK?!

Looks like I'm signing up for Prime again.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7563 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 August 2023 - 11:32 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 August 2023 - 04:21 PM, said:

WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME THEY REBOOTED TAKESHI'S CASTLE?! AND THAT KITANO HIMSELF IS EVEN BACK?!

Ok but why all the loincloths?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7564 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 August 2023 - 11:44 PM

To clothe their loins, duh.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7565 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 August 2023 - 11:25 AM

View PostAbyss, on 15 August 2023 - 11:32 PM, said:

There are 100 people (contestants as it were) on the show and usually they get on the show in small groups...some of them have a gimmick, this is their gimmick.

Also, for what it's worth, if you can find the old show anywhere streaming (it ran from the 80's to the 90's), it's insanely entertaining as well...and the safety regs at the time were lesser, so it's a tad more brutal.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 August 2023 - 11:26 AM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7566 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 August 2023 - 03:32 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 August 2023 - 11:25 AM, said:

Also, for what it's worth, if you can find the old show anywhere streaming (it ran from the 80's to the 90's), it's insanely entertaining as well...and the safety regs at the time were lesser, so it's a tad more brutal.

Decapitations?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7567 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 17 August 2023 - 02:10 PM

View PostAbyss, on 17 August 2023 - 03:32 AM, said:

Decapitations?

Not as far as the proper authorities are aware.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#7568 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 August 2023 - 03:18 PM

THE PERIPHERAL Season 2 cancelled even thought the show was renewed on the back of decent viewership. Awww man, come on! I really enjoyed this! Goddamit Amazon. This is apparently due to the fact that the WGA/SAG AFTRA strikes would even if they end now delay production long enough that interest in the show would wane? Fuck you Amazon. I would watch. This was GREAT and probably the best adapted Gibson work to date (because JOHNNY NEUMONIC is hokey, NEW ROSE HOTEL was a TERRIBLE adaptation of that story). Fuckers. The PERIPHERAL was a breath of fresh air compared to those two attempts at his work.

https://www.digitals...-season-2-axed/

Part of me is glad that Apple has not gotten into even pre-production with their NEUROMANCER tv show yet, as I would not want them to fuck that up. So when the strikes are done, then get started. Please give me that show.....I needs it.

Look, I just want a SPRAWL or BRIDGE trilogy as TV shows or movies....is that too much to ask?!

Fuck.

#7569 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 22 August 2023 - 07:22 PM

View PostAbyss, on 15 August 2023 - 11:32 PM, said:

There are 100 people (contestants as it were) on the show and usually they get on the show in small groups...some of them have a gimmick, this is their gimmick.

I have so many good memories from watching this show... In my uni days, my mate and I had a house where everyone came to get wasted and this was the show we always used to watch on repeat on shitty cable TV...

So many laughs... though we never, not once saw anyone win the contest in easily over 60-70 eps watched...

Man, there was one event, if you failed there was a trapdoor and you went down it onto a massive slide, at the bottom of the sldie a dude dressed as a potato ran up to you and sprayed you with a fire extinguisher... everyone he ran up to and sprayed for like a second or two... one dude goes down the slide and THIS. WAS. PERSONAL... The potato runs up and just sprays the dude for easily 20-30 seconds plus... The dude is crawling about waving his arms trying to get free in the midst of a white cloud and the potato just shows no mercy and keeps going... after that everyone else that falls down he sprays again for a second or two... fuck me there was over ten of us in the room absolutely howling at it for ages afterwards... it's actually a meme still within the group that we'll set Potato on you if you piss someone off!!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#7570 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 August 2023 - 07:28 PM

It's super entertaining. I put it on for myself the other day just randomly and when I turned it off to do something else my kids (7 and 4) were both like "What did you do? Put that back on!"....they could care less it's in a language they can't understand or read...they were ENTER-TAINED. LOL

#7571 User is offline   champ 

Posted 22 August 2023 - 08:37 PM

Dude, definitely get your kids into it, beats the hell out of watching the trash kids watch nowadays!!!!

There was a channel that did English voiceover on the show but we kept to the original, it made it such a better watch.

The post also made me search for a video of someone finally winning the contest but I came across this instead and now I might have to watch the vids...

Tehol said:

#7572 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 22 August 2023 - 08:45 PM

Did anyone ever beat Takeshi's Castle? Every time I saw it like 3 people got to the final task and were always obliterated haha
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7573 User is offline   champ 

Posted 22 August 2023 - 09:19 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 22 August 2023 - 08:45 PM, said:

Did anyone ever beat Takeshi's Castle? Every time I saw it like 3 people got to the final task and were always obliterated haha

I've read one source say 8, another say 9 overall show victories.

The final challenge was nuts hard!

Tehol said:

#7574 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 August 2023 - 12:18 PM

View Postchamp, on 22 August 2023 - 09:19 PM, said:

I've read one source say 8, another say 9 overall show victories.

The final challenge was nuts hard!

Hell the SECOND challenge (the stones on the pond) is hard aF, never mind episodes later when they reach Takeshi's keep itself. I always laugh becuase they give that percentage rating to how hard the challenges are, and I don't think there is one under like 80% hardness. LOL

#7575 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 23 August 2023 - 02:40 PM

Hah I always thought I'd like to go on it but I'd definitely be one of the first out in the first game!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7576 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 August 2023 - 02:50 PM

There's always British Ninja Warrior!

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7577 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 25 August 2023 - 04:46 PM

I went to see that cheese rolling contest live once. I lived kinda nearby. It looks bad onscreen, it is terrifying in the flesh.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#7578 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 August 2023 - 04:37 PM

Finished most of Good Omens season two---stopped in the middle of the last episode, feel no compulsion to finish it (but I will, next Friday). Guess my expectations were too high---I remember really liking season one. The script generally seems much weaker (despite a few good lines and conceits), and the acting makes it worse. It's as if they're compensating for the weak script with distractingly hammy embellishments and/or by rushing through without inflection. They remind me of bad Shakesperean actors who assume the audience won't understand what's being said anyway, and don't seem to understand much of it themselves. Made me wonder if the director just hated most of the script, but it appears to be the same guy from season one---but they're not the writer (Neil Gaiman apparently wrote it and was co-showrunner, though IDK how much say he had). Hamm's acting was decent when playing 'corny dad with hot body' or 'cheery asshole boss'. Crowley actor was okay---mostly just understated gruff or cranky, with bouts of arguably justified manic over-acting---but there's more of a focus on Aziraphale. The music and cinematography remind me of other Amazon series like Rings of Power and [that shitty werewolf fairy show] season 2---glossy 90's big budget Hollywood children's movie. However I didn't find it to be much of a slog. Overall I'd give it a resounding 'okay'; glad they made it, wouldn't mind another season or two, but it would be nice if it were actually good more of the time....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 26 August 2023 - 04:56 PM

#7579 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 September 2023 - 11:30 AM

Live action ONE PIECE is...good? Like they leaned into the anime/cartoony look just enough, while also grounding the fights with realistic choreography, and the characters are all being as earnest as possible. The guy playing Luffy is PERFECT, as is the guy playing Zoro...my wife even likes it (which I'm surprised by). This is a far cry from Netflix's last aborted attempt to make live action anime. From what I understand Oda was DEEPLY involved, and many things needed to be reshot after he saw them and asked them to change certain aspects, which helps me know they are interested in making this right.

#7580 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 01 September 2023 - 11:37 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 26 August 2023 - 04:37 PM, said:

Finished most of Good Omens season two---stopped in the middle of the last episode, feel no compulsion to finish it (but I will, next Friday). Guess my expectations were too high---I remember really liking season one. The script generally seems much weaker (despite a few good lines and conceits), and the acting makes it worse. It's as if they're compensating for the weak script with distractingly hammy embellishments and/or by rushing through without inflection. They remind me of bad Shakesperean actors who assume the audience won't understand what's being said anyway, and don't seem to understand much of it themselves. Made me wonder if the director just hated most of the script, but it appears to be the same guy from season one---but they're not the writer (Neil Gaiman apparently wrote it and was co-showrunner, though IDK how much say he had). Hamm's acting was decent when playing 'corny dad with hot body' or 'cheery asshole boss'. Crowley actor was okay---mostly just understated gruff or cranky, with bouts of arguably justified manic over-acting---but there's more of a focus on Aziraphale. The music and cinematography remind me of other Amazon series like Rings of Power and [that shitty werewolf fairy show] season 2---glossy 90's big budget Hollywood children's movie. However I didn't find it to be much of a slog. Overall I'd give it a resounding 'okay'; glad they made it, wouldn't mind another season or two, but it would be nice if it were actually good more of the time....

Haven't started watching it yet. The original Pratchett/Gaiman novel is the first season, so that for me is Good Omens. I'm not sure what a brand new season can bring to the table if there is no original book content or idea to back it up. Great that Gaiman was involved and I am a big fan of his works, but it was mainly the Pratchett humor that made the original novel the genius masterpiece that it is. Any follow-ons, especially without Pratchett involvement, are bound to be pale imitations. I'll give it a go if a space in our endless 'to weatch' list opens up, i guess.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users