• You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#7301 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 December 2022 - 02:03 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 13 December 2022 - 12:48 PM, said:

View PostMezla PigDog, on 12 December 2022 - 10:31 PM, said:

I watched the Harry and Meghan documentary first installment. I couldn't help myself. Harry is like a man who has only recently awoken to reality after being raised in a cult, it's really quite curious to watch. I believe the general truth of what they, and especially Meghan, experienced but I wish they were being a bit less bloody American about it.

I don't know much about british royalty outside of what we get in mainstream international press, but man that video of him walking behind his mothers casket. Being expected to smile and shake hands. Jesus, we should support any and all people wanting to get out of that for themselves and their kids.

This is an interesting point - culturally there seems to be an odd blind spot amongst a lot of people in the UK about just how batshit insane things like that are. There is sympathy but it doesn't seem to come with any recognising that it's a ridiculous thing to expect children to do.
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#7302 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 13 December 2022 - 07:47 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 13 December 2022 - 02:03 PM, said:

I watched the Harry and Meghan documentary first installment. I couldn't help myself. Harry is like a man who has only recently awoken to reality after being raised in a cult, it's really quite curious to watch. I believe the general truth of what they, and especially Meghan, experienced but I wish they were being a bit less bloody American about it.

I don't know much about british royalty outside of what we get in mainstream international press, but man that video of him walking behind his mothers casket. Being expected to smile and shake hands. Jesus, we should support any and all people wanting to get out of that for themselves and their kids.

This is an interesting point - culturally there seems to be an odd blind spot amongst a lot of people in the UK about just how batshit insane things like that are. There is sympathy but it doesn't seem to come with any recognising that it's a ridiculous thing to expect children to do.

Princess Diana dying and all the stuff those kids had to do was weird even at the time. I was about 18 but I remember it felt like there was a collective madness in the country. It was similar when the Queen died and the media was telling everyone it was a sombre time but if you spoke to people, nobody was sombre apart from the mental people who lined up for hours to see the coffin or funeral. As a percentage of the population they were few but somehow the media made out they were representative. When Diana died it was even worse because she was young and it was horrific and was the hottest media property going. Add in her kids and it was tragic but there was a lot of pressure on the royal family to show emotion over it after a couple of days of shutting up shop. They went way too far the other way by putting those kids out there and the documentary suggests they had minimal psychological support during or afterwards.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#7303 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 13 December 2022 - 09:59 PM

The wife wanted to rewatch Modern Family. I’d forgotten how great the first few seasons are.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7304 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 15 December 2022 - 10:51 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 13 December 2022 - 07:47 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 13 December 2022 - 02:03 PM, said:

Princess Diana dying and all the stuff those kids had to do was weird even at the time. I was about 18 but I remember it felt like there was a collective madness in the country. It was similar when the Queen died and the media was telling everyone it was a sombre time but if you spoke to people, nobody was sombre apart from the mental people who lined up for hours to see the coffin or funeral. As a percentage of the population they were few but somehow the media made out they were representative. When Diana died it was even worse because she was young and it was horrific and was the hottest media property going. Add in her kids and it was tragic but there was a lot of pressure on the royal family to show emotion over it after a couple of days of shutting up shop. They went way too far the other way by putting those kids out there and the documentary suggests they had minimal psychological support during or afterwards.

I'm glad it was seen as weird at the time! Between partner's family and some of the older colleagues in the office, it sometimes feels like there's an inescapable cult element to the royal family which renders them above reproach. It's reassuring to hear sense.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 15 December 2022 - 10:52 AM

- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#7305 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 December 2022 - 02:20 PM

Started the NATIONAL TREASURE: THE EDGE OF TIME tv show on D+, and really enjoyed the first ep. Nice to see Harvey Kietel's Sandusky character cross over. I know we are getting Justin Bartha's Riley Poole....and I 100% think we will get a Nic Cage cameo by the end of the season. Sandusky even mentions him in passing here.

Excited to see where this goes.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7306 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 15 December 2022 - 03:48 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 December 2022 - 02:20 PM, said:

Started the NATIONAL TREASURE: THE EDGE OF TIME tv show on D+, and really enjoyed the first ep. Nice to see Harvey Kietel's Sandusky character cross over. I know we are getting Justin Bartha's Riley Poole....and I 100% think we will get a Nic Cage cameo by the end of the season. Sandusky even mentions him in passing here.

That has eased my mind somewhat. I am looking forward to it but feared they would go down the Mighty Ducks reboot route and aim it for like 10 year olds. Was making me hesitate in watching it.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#7307 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 December 2022 - 04:10 PM

View Postchamp, on 15 December 2022 - 03:48 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 December 2022 - 02:20 PM, said:

That has eased my mind somewhat. I am looking forward to it but feared they would go down the Mighty Ducks reboot route and aim it for like 10 year olds. Was making me hesitate in watching it.

I mean don't get me wrong, the demographic for this is ABSOLUTELY GenZ and not you or I...the tone of it is very "early 20's", so not for ten year olds....but it's not like they've ported the films into the show either. There's a happy medium here with connective tissue and this is not a reboot and definitely seems to have some nice nods and Easter eggs with the movies, while being it's own thing.

Like Nic Cage could absolutely DO a NT3 film and it could very much exist in the same universe with this and not interfere.

In fact, if Disney were smart, they would get a season of this under their belts and then shoot the 3rd movie and bring Jesse into it as another companion to Ben Gates....if that makes sense?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 15 December 2022 - 04:10 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7308 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 December 2022 - 05:07 PM

Um.... HOLY FUCK

Apple TV+ is doing a NEUROMANCER series, and eyeing Miles Teller as the lead...My gods, what a dream place for the Sprawl trilogy (and maybe even the Bridge Trilogy) to be adapted, as prestige TV! Consider me excited. I love this book.

Attached File  Image.jpeg (342.53K)
Number of downloads: 0

#7309 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 December 2022 - 07:38 PM

Whoa!

Pretty daring project, am very curious how they do it and how close they stick, if at all, to the books. Gibson wrote the Bridge and Sprawl trilos dense and technical and for the most part grim and none of that translates well from text to stream-screen. There's a lot of very good material to work w in NEUROMANCER but the adaptation is going to be so tricky.

....why no, i wasn't going to mention the JOHNNY MNEMONIC movie for an example of how this goes wrong, not at all...

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7310 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 19 December 2022 - 07:24 PM

So Henry Cavill is working on a Warhammer 40K TV series?

https://editorial.ro...ries-to-amazon/

Interesting. Fingers crossed it gets going and isn't fucked up. I dare say it wouldn't be a kid's show.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7311 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 December 2022 - 07:39 AM

I'd love a big budget WH40K show but I struggle to see them going just 10% as grim dark as I might like. Super religious fascists are the good guys and everyone else is even worse.

#7312 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 December 2022 - 12:43 PM

View PostAptorian, on 20 December 2022 - 07:39 AM, said:

I'd love a big budget WH40K show but I struggle to see them going just 10% as grim dark as I might like. Super religious fascists are the good guys and everyone else is even worse.

Well if nothing else you'd get 40% of the USA on board. :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7313 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 20 December 2022 - 02:56 PM

Near guaranteed it will be about brave plucky rebels working behind the scenes to bring down the vile fascist empire, where conveniently the rebels - and the cops and spies and assassins who hunt them - don't wear absurdly massive suits of power armor and thus, the CGI budget is preserved for the premiere, the odd action scene, and the season finale. Cue ritualistic lamentations by the fans.
WH40K could be done in animation. Live action... this isn't Star Wars/Star Trek/BSG... the entire thing is based on horrible people in ridiculously massive elaborately decorated suits of armor fighting each other and fantastical beasties. The CGI budget required to do that... color me skeptical it could meet expectations.

#7314 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 December 2022 - 03:04 PM

Let's be honest. It's going to be Eisenhorn.

It's the most easily accessible storyline in the whole WH40K, it's filled with notes and aspects of the universe and factions (I mean Bequin alone is a POV audience insert for "learning" about the Imperium and the Inquisition), and it's small scale with only one or two big set pieces over 4 books.

Beyond this, Eisenhorn is the cleanest of the cleanest Inquistiors and we watch him slowly bend the rules as he goes in efforts to catch the really bad eggs.

Eisenhorn will be an EASY sell to the audience, he questions lots of things over his time including the religion in whose confines he works and if it's too extreme.

#7315 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 December 2022 - 03:19 PM

View PostAptorian, on 20 December 2022 - 07:39 AM, said:

If they have the protagonists doubt the religion and eventually discover that
Spoiler

then it might not be so bad... definitely relatable for those of us in the US (or---to a lesser extent---Qatar) though....

Would be funny if they played up the Trump parallels and got embraced by the far right... no on second thought that might be terrible. For cons at least....

#7316 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 December 2022 - 03:23 PM

No actually after reading some more about it even the
Spoiler
version of the religion is terrible fascist / xenophobic stuff. But realizing that
Spoiler
would be good.

#7317 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 December 2022 - 03:35 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 20 December 2022 - 03:19 PM, said:

[
Spoiler

Arguably my fave thing in the HORUS HERESY in the previous 30k millennium was early on when the "cult/religion" around him (The Emperor) popped up as a result of some very coincidentally timed "miracles" and endorsed and spread by some VERY cultish-type personalities....watching people slowly fall into a "religion" because a few supposed miracles which helped those people make sense of some REALLY dark and shitty things in their universe...and knowing that the Emperor himself utterly rejects this worship to no avail....always felt DUNE-like to me....the all powerful "god" that doesn't WANT to be a god and abhors what's been done in their name...

It's a very relatable thing, even in our world wrt organized religions.

#7318 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 20 December 2022 - 04:57 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 December 2022 - 03:35 PM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 20 December 2022 - 03:19 PM, said:

[
Spoiler

Arguably my fave thing in the HORUS HERESY in the previous 30k millennium was early on when the "cult/religion" around him (The Emperor) popped up as a result of some very coincidentally timed "miracles" and endorsed and spread by some VERY cultish-type personalities....watching people slowly fall into a "religion" because a few supposed miracles which helped those people make sense of some REALLY dark and shitty things in their universe...and knowing that the Emperor himself utterly rejects this worship to no avail....always felt DUNE-like to me....the all powerful "god" that doesn't WANT to be a god and abhors what's been done in their name...

It's a very relatable thing, even in our world wrt organized religions.

I enjoyed that aspect of the stories. The flip from steady loyal military to radical religious fundamentalists wasn't well written but it was a logical shift.

As for Eisenhorn... yah that would work and keep the 'costumes not CGI' costs down. I'm not familiar enough w WH40K to suggest alternatives, i just know enough to suspect any production would go Full Shannarra and just wing it from the bare basics because it's easier for them and more approachable for a wider audience.

#7319 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 December 2022 - 05:12 PM

I think Cavill has the chops to pull off Ciaphas Cain, so I would like to see them try.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7320 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 20 December 2022 - 06:12 PM

I saw a rumour with Cavill as Constantin Valdor due to his love of the Custodes.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users