• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#7321 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 December 2022 - 06:38 PM

View Postchamp, on 20 December 2022 - 06:12 PM, said:

I saw a rumour with Cavill as Constantin Valdor due to his love of the Custodes.

That's 30K though, and quite removed from the nuts and bolts of 40k life in the Imperium isn't it?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7322 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 20 December 2022 - 07:27 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 December 2022 - 06:38 PM, said:

View Postchamp, on 20 December 2022 - 06:12 PM, said:

I saw a rumour with Cavill as Constantin Valdor due to his love of the Custodes.

That's 30K though, and quite removed from the nuts and bolts of 40k life in the Imperium isn't it?

Aye, it's not a rumour I believe to be true, just throwing in some more speculation as I've seen it said a few times now. The argument was that it would be a good starting point for the masses and their introduction into the world but the meat of the argument was Cavill's Custodes love and trying to tie that to something.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#7323 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 December 2022 - 09:02 AM

We watched Dragon Age: Absolution on Netflix over Christmas.

Very similar art style to The Legend of Vox Machina (also, Matt Mercer is in it) and we both really enjoyed it (Mr Not a Blacksmith is only familiar with Dragon Age from me fangirling about the games, hasn't played them himself). Looks like a series 2 is in the works and the idea is to bridge the time gap between Inquisition (the last game) and Dreadwolf, the next game which is currently in production. I'll be interested to see if we see any of the characters from Absolution in the new game or if they're going to remain entirely separate.

Also, Detectorists Christmas special was great. Was it as good as the main series? No, but then I find specials usually aren't. Still very enjoyable and lovely to be back in Danebury with these characters.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 30 December 2022 - 09:03 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#7324 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 01 January 2023 - 09:25 PM

I finally finished my Detectorists rewatch and have as such now seen this year's Christmas special and it was just as delightful and funny as the rest of it. What an utterly wonderful show from start to finish.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7325 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 01 January 2023 - 09:37 PM

Still waiting for it to be available here! Ahhhhhhh
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7326 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 January 2023 - 05:22 AM

I must have missed that episode of "Welcome to Wrexham".

https://www.news.com...67e629192122267

Three young female prison guards jailed for secret illicit affairs with inmates
A trio of young women have found themselves on the other side of the prison bars after a series of sex acts and smuggling incidents.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7327 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 04 January 2023 - 09:52 AM

We've started watching Ghosts.

It's a more adult comedy series from the team who make Horrible Histories.... it's gentle and silly and we've really enjoyed it. Charlotte Ritchie is very sweet in the lead roie.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#7328 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 January 2023 - 10:12 AM

I didn't know that was relatively new / ongoing...there's already an American version of it!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7329 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 04 January 2023 - 10:32 AM

View Postworry, on 04 January 2023 - 10:12 AM, said:

I didn't know that was relatively new / ongoing...there's already an American version of it!

Ooo, I didn't know that!

But yes, definitely ongoing, they're filming series 5 this year.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#7330 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 04 January 2023 - 12:53 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 04 January 2023 - 09:52 AM, said:

We've started watching Ghosts.

It's a more adult comedy series from the team who make Horrible Histories.... it's gentle and silly and we've really enjoyed it. Charlotte Ritchie is very sweet in the lead roie.

That's next in our queue to watch! The Horrible Histories crew are so good! (Watch Yonderland if you ever get a chance if you're in the mood for much silliness!)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7331 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 04 January 2023 - 12:58 PM

Netflix canceled 1899. I feel like I wasted hours now.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#7332 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 January 2023 - 01:32 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 04 January 2023 - 12:58 PM, said:

Netflix canceled 1899. I feel like I wasted hours now.

Other than COBRA KAI and STRANGER THINGS (both of which made it past the 2-3 season Netflix cancelation window), I will normally WAIT for shows on Netflix to get more than one (usually two) seasons before diving in. Netflix needs to learn the lesson that trying to sign up more subs is stupid, and if they want to keep subscribers engaged and not curating to and from Netflix when they can binge something, they need to do like D+ and Prime and week-to-week release their shows...like I get they built their brand on giving people the chance to binge....but if you want to stay viable as a streamer, week to week is the way to go.

Disney does this exquisitely by living up their streaming shows to land one after the other, when one is ending, another one is beginning....and so forth. That model has kept me as a constant subscriber since they launched.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7333 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:12 PM

The infinite growth model is stupid here, there, and everywhere. Few notions in human history have been that braindead, but it's a cult we're stuck with I guess.

The other angle is, of course, that binge stats in the first 10 days or whatever their metric is, is beyond stupid. There's no long term thinking at all. When you don't have to care about pleasing advertisers, you should feel more than free (creatively and financially) to build a body of work that people will come to both now and in the future. PLENTY of shows are late bloomers, in terms of attracting an audience. But a serialized show with its head cut off will never catch fire. Even if you don't see a long future, the surest way to make sure your investment is immolated is to not give that series a conclusion.

#7334 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:18 PM

View Postworry, on 04 January 2023 - 03:12 PM, said:

The infinite growth model is stupid here, there, and everywhere. Few notions in human history have been that braindead, but it's a cult we're stuck with I guess.

Yes, indeed. In ALL industry. At some point the same yearly profits that keep you afloat and viable as a company got replaced with "unless it's going UP more and more every year, we are failing"....back in the 70's and early 80's as long as your company was doing well each year at or around the same profits, you were good.

View Postworry, on 04 January 2023 - 03:12 PM, said:

The other angle is, of course, that binge stats in the first 10 days or whatever their metric is, is beyond stupid. There's no long term thinking at all. When you don't have to care about pleasing advertisers, you should feel more than free (creatively and financially) to build a body of work that people will come to both now and in the future. PLENTY of shows are late bloomers, in terms of attracting an audience. But a serialized show with its head cut off will never catch fire. Even if you don't see a long future, the surest way to make sure your investment is immolated is to not give that series a conclusion.

Yep. It's insane that Sarandos and Netflix think this is going to be a long term winner. HBO Max, Disney+ and Prime will spend 2023 and beyond overtaking them (if they haven't already) as the default one in most people's homes.

#7335 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 January 2023 - 12:21 AM

Well, apparently season 2 of Wednesday is a go.

https://www.news.com...ded7cb836cb0d37
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7336 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 January 2023 - 06:15 AM

DP

Huh, Resident Alien Season 2 Episode 10, a seemingly innocuous line from Harry about not wanting to pay a house call means a lot more at the end. Good ep.

Enjoying Season 2.

EDIT:
Ep 12:
"I can save the world with my butt?"
"You have to. It's your destiny." *holds up suppository*
"Ok. Me and my butt will do it."
:rofl:
EDIT2:
end of Ep 12:
What the fuuuuuuuuuuuck??!! :o :shock: :alien:

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 07 January 2023 - 07:58 AM

#7337 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 07 January 2023 - 09:25 PM

I hate to for an even a moment sound like one of those people asking if Netflix is going too woke by including more than one female character in each show

But is Netflix pushing deaf/mute characters in their shows. I know the cartoon rain prince I think it was called had a mute general, same sec characters, adopted children in interracial families. In this show it clearly was a production choice to be as inclusive as possible.

However in the last few shows on Netflix I have watched I have noticed a lot of deaf/mute characters which made me wonder if Netflix is consciously doing it. Don’t really care if they are, just curious. Although the most recent instance made me pause the show to notice the real world as it were.

Last kingdom season 5 has a servant who is deaf. Witcher blood origin (do not watch) had a character with so little development I can refer to her only as deaf sacrifice women. Dragon prince which admittedly I think I watched in 2020 so quite a while ago. There was another show recently too, maybe bullet train? Just curious if anyone else has noticed

#7338 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 January 2023 - 12:32 PM

Finished His Dark Materials season 3. This show kinda fell out of the zeitgeist it seems, if it was ever in it, but S3 was the best of the bunch.
Had series best performances by all the leads, and even did an admirable job with the big scenes on a TV budget. Plus it never ditched the important stuff like the movie did, so I’m appreciative it got all the way through.

It was never gonna compete with like Better Call Saul or even House of the Dragon though. Just a solid B show that stuck the landing really well.

#7339 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 14 January 2023 - 04:20 PM

I was on the fence after season 1, I’ll push on if it finishes strong.

#7340 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 16 January 2023 - 04:37 AM

The Last of Us episode 1 was really friggin solid.

I know it’s only 1 episode but I’m 100% on board.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 16 January 2023 - 04:37 AM

Share this topic:

• 389 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users