• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#7341 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 January 2023 - 04:38 AM

And I don’t know how the hell I missed that Anna Torv was Tess!
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7342 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 January 2023 - 04:43 AM

I had the same reaction re: both of those posts.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7343 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 16 January 2023 - 01:03 PM

Lyanna Mormont grew up and still owns every scene.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7344 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 January 2023 - 01:07 PM

Finished Season 3 of JACK RYAN and it was really good. Better than Season 2, but not quite Season 1 calibre. Just a good lot of fun, action, and intrigue.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7345 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 January 2023 - 05:05 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 January 2023 - 01:07 PM, said:

Finished Season 3 of JACK RYAN and it was really good. Better than Season 2, but not quite Season 1 calibre. Just a good lot of fun, action, and intrigue.

Seconded. To an extent i found Ryan himself lacked depth or development but the rest of the cast - especially Luka - did excellent work around him so he could carry most of the action beats. Very entertaining, am in for a S4 if they do it.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7346 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 January 2023 - 05:34 PM

View PostAbyss, on 16 January 2023 - 05:05 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 January 2023 - 01:07 PM, said:

Seconded. To an extent i found Ryan himself lacked depth or development but the rest of the cast - especially Luka - did excellent work around him so he could carry most of the action beats. Very entertaining, am in for a S4 if they do it.

They shot S3 and S4 back-to-back, so it's in the can and in post production for release next summer...and from what I hear it's got some home-based stuff as they are bringing his love interest from S1 back into the fold....for my money as long as we get more Jack and Mike November (Michael Kelly) pal-ing around and talking shit at one another, I'm excited!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7347 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 January 2023 - 12:34 PM

'the original Scooby iterations knew not to mess with the near-perfect formula: They were self-aware, sarcastic, and plenty funny. Velma, on the other hand, sits at the overlap of every streaming exec’s easy way to make a quick buck: rebooting major IP, darkening the tone of a beloved children’s franchise, attempting the “wokeification” of older franchises, and so on. These things, when balanced correctly, can have great, even beloved, results [...]

[...] Kaling was already in internet leftists’ sights for a variety of transgressions, some arguable and some strained, ranging from self-hatred to transphobia. But [...] the show actually is misogynist, and totally devoid of nuance. [...] the show’s idea of attacking white male privilege is making Fred “such a whiny white man baby that his mommy cuts his steak and he hasn’t finished puberty so he has a small penis.” It’s just as bad when Velma is forced to interact with her father’s pregnant girlfriend [...] a young white business owner who, despite being overtly welcoming, Velma consistently denigrates as an idiotic “basic bitch.”

[...] Velma’s attempts at modernizing the franchise are so inept, they’ve given rise to conspiracy theories that Kaling intentionally made Velma bad as fodder for an ongoing culture war in which people would beef about it incessantly online. [...] Someone started a rumor that Scooby does show up, but embodied by a Black female character named Scoobi, angering those who believed that the show would draw such a close analogy between a Black woman and a dog. The actual character is named Gigi [...] but even the rumor is being blamed on conservatives, who are believed to have allegedly started it to upset liberal viewers.'

Velma on HBO Max: Mindy Kaling’s wokeified Scooby-Doo reboot achieves the impossible.

Apparently there is no dog in it; IDK if there are any cats. (Cats would definitely be an improvement....)

#7348 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 January 2023 - 01:14 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 19 January 2023 - 12:34 PM, said:

But [...] the show actually is misogynist, and totally devoid of nuance. [...] the show’s idea of attacking white male privilege is making Fred “such a whiny white man baby that his mommy cuts his steak and he hasn’t finished puberty so he has a small penis.”

Worse, Fred Jones has been coded as Autistic since like the Mystery Inc. days, if not before.....so Kaling's portrayal of him is EXCEPTIONALLY tone deaf and ableist.

The whole show is a dumpster fire of bad ideas.

#7349 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 January 2023 - 01:30 PM

I might watch it, I kinda hate Scooby Doo anyway (sorry don't yell at me anyone).
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7350 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 19 January 2023 - 01:56 PM

Legend of Vox Machina season 2 tonight at midnight!

No, I absolutely am not staying up late to watch it, I’m old. But I am looking forward to watching it at a reasonable hour this weekend!

#7351 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:21 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 19 January 2023 - 01:56 PM, said:

No, I absolutely am not staying up late to watch it, I’m old. But I am looking forward to watching it at a reasonable hour this weekend!

I'km pretty excited. Season 1 was a surprise joy for me. I hadn't expected the level of "heart" in that show...super excited for the new season.

#7352 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:25 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 January 2023 - 02:21 PM, said:

No, I absolutely am not staying up late to watch it, I'm old. But I am looking forward to watching it at a reasonable hour this weekend!

I'km pretty excited. Season 1 was a surprise joy for me. I hadn't expected the level of "heart" in that show...super excited for the new season.

i am unashamedly disproportionately excited about this.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7353 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:57 PM

View PostAbyss, on 19 January 2023 - 02:25 PM, said:

No, I absolutely am not staying up late to watch it, I'm old. But I am looking forward to watching it at a reasonable hour this weekend!

I'd be up watching it at release if I didn't have to adult and work tomorrow... I cannot wait for this seasons story arc.

I wonder where they will end it...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#7354 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 19 January 2023 - 03:34 PM

View Postchamp, on 19 January 2023 - 02:57 PM, said:

I'd be up watching it at release if I didn't have to adult and work tomorrow... I cannot wait for this seasons story arc.

You’ve seen the show, take a look at the episode titles and you’ll have a good idea.

#7355 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 January 2023 - 04:10 PM

This looks exceptional. Maybe it's my current middle aged/mentally struggling/lost a parent/politicians ruining everything state of life....but this resonates with me a LOT.

Plus, the writing pedigree is amazing.

#7356 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 19 January 2023 - 04:48 PM

Basically, Bill Lawrence can do no wrong to mind! Between that and Ted Lasso I'm almost tempted to get Apple TV for a bit.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7357 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 January 2023 - 05:14 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 19 January 2023 - 04:48 PM, said:

Basically, Bill Lawrence can do no wrong to mind! Between that and Ted Lasso I'm almost tempted to get Apple TV for a bit.

They dropped a few more trailers in the last 24 hours...this one looks great too.

And this one, which is a bit vaguer...but hey it's got Chris O'Dowd! Let's juts hope his note from the machine doesn't read his "fire, at a sea parks"

#7358 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 19 January 2023 - 05:24 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 19 January 2023 - 03:34 PM, said:

View Postchamp, on 19 January 2023 - 02:57 PM, said:

You’ve seen the show, take a look at the episode titles and you’ll have a good idea.

Is that not too spoiler? Currently resisting looking at anything like that or the trailers.

Kinda on topic, how you finding campaign 3? I've not started it yet.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#7359 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 19 January 2023 - 06:41 PM

If you don’t want to know what parts of the campaign are in the show, definitely don’t look. They’re the same as the episode titles.

I’m a few episodes behind. I’m on 42, I think 44 or 45 is tonight.

It’s better and worse. You get really invested in the character arcs, since they’re all really diverse, interesting characters. But so far you care a lot less about the overall plot like the first two (chroma conclave, briarwoods, aeor, etc). It’s interesting, but it seems to be more of a slow burn.

#7360 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 January 2023 - 01:44 AM

First 3 eps of s2 are already up on Amazon Prime y’all!

EDIT: OH MY GODS THIS IS ALREADY SO GOOD!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 20 January 2023 - 02:16 AM

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users