• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#6761 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 September 2021 - 01:29 AM

'Chess Pioneer Sues, Saying She Was Slighted in 'The Queen's Gambit'

Nona Gaprindashvili, a history-making chess champion, sued Netflix after a line in the series mentioned her by name and said she had "never faced men." She had, often.

[...] the first woman to be named a grandmaster. Now 80 years old and living in Tbilisi, Georgia, she was pained to learn that the television show had erased her many successes against male opponents. [...]

[...] seeking millions of dollars in damages for what the suit claims is a "devastating falsehood, undermining and degrading her accomplishments before an audience of many millions" and calling for the line about her not facing men to be removed.

"They were trying to do this fictional character who was blazing the trail for other women, when in reality I had already blazed the trail and inspired generations," Ms. Gaprindashvili said in a recent video interview arranged by her lawyers, speaking in Georgian, which was translated to English by her grandson. "That's the irony."

[...] The suit claims that the line that she had "never faced men" caused professional harm to Ms. Gaprindashvili, who continues to compete in senior chess tournaments, and notes that "The Queen's Gambit" was viewed in more than 62 million households in the first month after its release.

[...] "This is my entire life that has been crossed out, as though it is not important,"'

https://www.nytimes....it-lawsuit.html

Never did get around to watching that. Or should I be boycotting it now?... so much on the to-watch list....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 17 September 2021 - 01:29 AM

#6762 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 17 September 2021 - 06:50 AM

The Queen's Gambit was an excellent show, highly recommended.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6763 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 17 September 2021 - 10:18 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 September 2021 - 01:30 PM, said:

View PostMezla PigDog, on 13 September 2021 - 10:03 PM, said:

I just started watching Bridgerton. I knew nothing of it other than it was a big thing a while back. I assumed it was a Netflix rip off of Downton Abbey but it's actually a sexy sweary Netflix rip off of Downton Abbey. Two episodes in and I like it. The Duke of Hastings is quite a fellow.

We loved it. My only issue is that every season (like every book in the series) will focus on a different sibling's life/love life, so this is the last we see of Rége-Jean Page apparently for a while according to the actor.

He's currently shooting the Dungeons and Dragons film, I believe! But I'll be sad at lack of Duke of Hastings in the next series.

I enjoyed Bridgerton, and went in with a similar expectation as Mezla. Julie Andrews sounds like she's having way too much fun being the narrator.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 17 September 2021 - 10:19 AM

- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#6764 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 September 2021 - 06:37 PM

My adventure down the 8 out of 10 cats does Countdown YouTube hole has led me to watching all kinds of British panel shows. QI and Would I lie to you I've seen before but Taskmaster was new to me.

This show is phenomenal. I love when the challenges are designed in such a way that you can circumvent them or break them if you're clever.

Not sure I like the relationship between Greg Davis and Alex Horn though. Davis is so mean to Little Alex Horn.

#6765 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 18 September 2021 - 06:30 AM

View PostAptorian, on 17 September 2021 - 06:37 PM, said:

My adventure down the 8 out of 10 cats does Countdown YouTube hole has led me to watching all kinds of British panel shows. QI and Would I lie to you I've seen before but Taskmaster was new to me.

This show is phenomenal. I love when the challenges are designed in such a way that you can circumvent them or break them if you're clever.

Not sure I like the relationship between Greg Davis and Alex Horn though. Davis is so mean to Little Alex Horn.

It is all in jest. Horne is the creator of and main guy on the show and he is the one who picked Greg for the role. So no need to feel sorry for him. One of the best panel shows ever, in my humble opinion.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 18 September 2021 - 06:32 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6766 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 18 September 2021 - 06:47 AM

View PostGorefest, on 18 September 2021 - 06:30 AM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 17 September 2021 - 06:37 PM, said:

It is all in jest. Horne is the creator of and main guy on the show and he is the one who picked Greg for the role. So no need to feel sorry for him. One of the best panel shows ever, in my humble opinion.

Taskmaster is incredible. Alex Horne is a very funny guy and full props to him for the format and ingenuity!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6767 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 September 2021 - 08:10 AM

Horne... horn? ... Is definitely crucial in every bit. He rarely if ever says "you can't do that". Rather he'll just say okay and help the contestants no matter how stupid their plan is.

The way he just looks at people blankly amuses me to no end.

And it's fascinating to see how differently people think and try to solve the problems.

#6768 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 18 September 2021 - 11:05 AM

You should see him on 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown when his full band is on with him. Quality stuff.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6769 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 September 2021 - 11:52 AM

Horne and the band are great on Countdown. I love bands that can improvise and do gags.

I'm watching series 10 now.

When you don't know most of the cast it's hard to get that invested in their performance but they all add a little something.

Johnny Vegas is always great. He's so earnest and always seems like he's on the verge of an emotional breakdown.

Daisy May Cooper is also fantastic. Her personality and facial expressions is ridiculous - The fact that she's also pregnant makes it all over the top. One of the episodes I thought she was going to kill somebody in a hormonal rage.

#6770 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 18 September 2021 - 01:22 PM

Wrapped up my rewatch of Breaking Bad. Still excellent.

Next on the To Watch list is Boardwalk Empire. Let’s go Steve.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#6771 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 September 2021 - 02:38 PM

Okay, I'm just going to do a full Taskmaster binge now. I've got about 8 days of vacation in front of me, lets see how far I can go by gorging myself on this.

Just started series 1, episode 1 and I pissed myself a little when romesh ranganathan, stormed into the clean room, smashed a water melon on to the floor and started shovelling mush into his face. Ruthless agression followed by some harsh consequences.

#6772 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 September 2021 - 03:06 PM

It's funny to see a show like Taskmaster in its infancy, before people have started to develop strategies and gaming the system. Some of the contestants are just so slow, no sense of urgency at all. Whilst others, typically the younger men, just attack the problem. Happy to see rampant cheating though.

Gotta say Roisin Conaty baffles me. She was terrible on Cats does Countdown and she's somehow even worse here on Taskmaster. She's charmingly incompetent but sadly I don't think it's an act.

#6773 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 September 2021 - 04:04 PM

oof, Jeopardy! is back and they are airing those shows with that guy who installed himself as the permanent replacement. And then his history was revealed. I didn't really follow what that was about, but I guess popular opinion is he is a terrible human. Not knowing much about that, I will say that he has an unappealing on air host persona. There's something about him that awakens that inclination in you to punch people in the face.

I guess Miyam Bealyk and that Ken Jennings guy will share co-host duties going forward. I guess that Ken Jennings guy has a history also. Don't know anything about that either, but as is per the usual with these things, I guess he's tweeted some shit in the past that people have dug up.

On the odd-ball side of this, this friggan' weirdo is on a run. I think he'd get his lunch handed to him if he went up against past champions who had similar runs, but there you go.

Posted Image

#6774 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 18 September 2021 - 05:34 PM

View PostAptorian, on 18 September 2021 - 03:06 PM, said:

It's funny to see a show like Taskmaster in its infancy, before people have started to develop strategies and gaming the system. Some of the contestants are just so slow, no sense of urgency at all. Whilst others, typically the younger men, just attack the problem. Happy to see rampant cheating though.

Gotta say Roisin Conaty baffles me. She was terrible on Cats does Countdown and she's somehow even worse here on Taskmaster. She's charmingly incompetent but sadly I don't think it's an act.

Gaming the system is part of the game.

But Roisin was a clunker of a contestant because she basically didn't try in any phase of the shows - the bring stuff freebie, the live show, the tasks, or the banter.

I believe Mel Giedroyc is the best contestant I've seen on the 6ish seasons I've gotten through so far. Just an absolute delight to watch her in every phase.

The slowness can be a great strategy, although later seasons put a time limit on tasks to prevent utter sloth. I don't mind at all the different paces.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 18 September 2021 - 05:42 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#6775 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 September 2021 - 12:05 AM

Roison Conaty is AMAZING on Ricky Gervais show AFTER LIFE.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6776 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 19 September 2021 - 03:27 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 September 2021 - 12:05 AM, said:

Roison Conaty is AMAZING on Ricky Gervais show AFTER LIFE.

That's a scripted show that's not live comedy, which is a different thing. I'm glad she's succeeding there.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#6777 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 19 September 2021 - 08:15 AM

Mel's unfailing positivism is a perfect fit for the Taskmaster format. You're just waiting for her to crack, but somehow she never does. Remarkable lady.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6778 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 September 2021 - 07:59 AM

Reservation Dogs just wrapped its first season. Firing on all cylinders the past few episodes (and really pretty much all of them), with a great finale. Highest recommendation!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6779 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 September 2021 - 04:54 PM

Read a heading that this is Fall Guys w/ murder. Reminds me of Battle Royale. Anyone check it out?

#6780 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 September 2021 - 07:20 PM

Y THE LAST MAN
I very enjoyed the comic series this is based on, and seeing that writer BK Vaughn and artist Pia Guerrera were on as producers was very encouraging. Some growing pains here but it seems to be finding a rhythm by the end of ep 3. Am watching.

Solid ep 1. Middling ep 2 and most 3, picking up towards the end.

I'm not bothered by the addition of further storylines, it's just that Yorick's quickly became the least interesting of them. Even the entirely new and self-contained and arguably unnecessary story about the White House staffer trying to survive is more engaging than the titular Y himself.

On the other hand, giving 355 so much more development meant that when she and Yorick found themselves on the road together, his storyline immediately became way better. The actress playing 355 is NAILING this role.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users