• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#6801 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 02 October 2021 - 04:00 AM

Anybody hear of this sopranos show? It’s good.
Error: Signature not valid

#6802 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 02 October 2021 - 08:21 AM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 02 October 2021 - 04:00 AM, said:

Anybody hear of this sopranos show? It's good.

What's it about? Opera?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#6803 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 02 October 2021 - 10:56 AM

New season of Taskmaster, yay!
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6804 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 02 October 2021 - 03:09 PM

Watched the first episode of series 12 yesterday.

Of to a great start.

Alan Davies and Victoria Mitchell I feel like are going to struggle in this show because they're a bit too old to really give a shit.

Morgana Robinson and Guz Khan are going to be great because of their personalities.

And Desiree Burch just seems crazy after that balloon event.

I was disappointed when nobody saw the obvious work arounds in the painting and balloon challenges.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 02 October 2021 - 03:14 PM

#6805 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 October 2021 - 07:45 PM

New season of Saturday Night Live kicks off tonight. Beck Bennett is no longer on the show. That's a pretty significant hole to fill. He was a main player in so many skits. I wonder how they will kick it off? There's been a lot happening in the world of covid and Trump and politics in general. It should be a hoot and a holler.

#6806 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 02 October 2021 - 08:43 PM

Why is no-one talking about Squid Game? It's freaking bonkers man, and I am loving it. Halfway through and I've got no clue at all as to the motivation of the mysterious masked dude running things...

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 02 October 2021 - 08:44 PM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6807 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 October 2021 - 09:21 PM

I posted the trailer upthred. link: https://forum.malaza...ost__p__1442761

No one seemed interested, as it got no replies. I guess my reference to Fall Guys fell flat because I guess no one has played that game? It's basically an obstacle course game against other online players where you have to finish in the top % to advance. It's cutthroat, since you can grab players or bump them off platforms and such. I read Squid Game is like that, cept with real people, and dun dun duuuuuhn.... murder!

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 02 October 2021 - 09:22 PM

#6808 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 02 October 2021 - 09:42 PM

Squid Game is on the list, just haven't gotten around to it yet. But the premise is intriguing and South Korea has been hitting high in recent years on tv/film (and food).
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6809 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 03 October 2021 - 04:45 AM

View PostPrimateus, on 02 October 2021 - 08:21 AM, said:

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 02 October 2021 - 04:00 AM, said:

Anybody hear of this sopranos show? It's good.

What's it about? Opera?

Yeah I think so. Italian.
Error: Signature not valid

#6810 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 03 October 2021 - 02:59 PM

Wrapped up season 2 of Boardwalk Empire. It did get better, but i'm pretty meh on it, gonna take a break and see if i want to go back.

Started Snowpiercer last night. Only a couple episodes in but i enjoyed it.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#6811 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 03 October 2021 - 07:01 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 03 October 2021 - 02:59 PM, said:

Wrapped up season 2 of Boardwalk Empire. It did get better, but i'm pretty meh on it, gonna take a break and see if i want to go back.

Started Snowpiercer last night. Only a couple episodes in but i enjoyed it.

Snowpiercer is incredible man I can't wait for season 3.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6812 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 October 2021 - 12:58 PM

Finished ITAEWON CLASS finally. There is a time jump/narrative shift at around Ep 14, and from there to the end of 16 it feels different? I also don't like the denoument for the romantic story.

There's a love triangle throughout, and I don't like who ended up with who. The one character feels like she ends up with the lead as a sort of consolation prize...and those last 3 eps drag as the story wraps up. Hell, the last ep is 1.5 hrs long but like 20 minutes of that is a bare knuckle brawl and it's a little tedious.

So solid show, but dragged in the last few eps, and I didn't like the romantic ending. There's also what I thought was going to be a redemption arc for a character and that it would be REALLY rewarding...but then he falls back into "crazy villain" and I was like Meh.

IT'S OKAY TO NOT BE OKAY is a LOT better overall and has a solid and enjoyable ending.

Starting SQUID GAME as my next K-Drama watch, and probably REPLY 1997 as well.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 04 October 2021 - 01:06 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6813 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 October 2021 - 01:16 PM

FOUNDATION has been good so far, but it's super DRY and my wife bailed out on it. There's not a lot of hard SF on TV like this, so I'm enjoying it on that level, but I have issues with it too.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 05 October 2021 - 04:33 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6814 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 05 October 2021 - 03:00 PM

View Postparan falcon, on 22 September 2021 - 01:44 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 22 September 2021 - 01:32 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 21 September 2021 - 07:52 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 21 September 2021 - 07:20 PM, said:

Y THE LAST MAN
I very enjoyed the comic series this is based on, and seeing that writer BK Vaughn and artist Pia Guerrera were on as producers was very encouraging. Some growing pains here but it seems to be finding a rhythm by the end of ep 3. Am watching.

Solid ep 1. Middling ep 2 and most 3, picking up towards the end.

I'm not bothered by the addition of further storylines, it's just that Yorick's quickly became the least interesting of them. Even the entirely new and self-contained and arguably unnecessary story about the White House staffer trying to survive is more engaging than the titular Y himself.

On the other hand, giving 355 so much more development meant that when she and Yorick found themselves on the road together, his storyline immediately became way better. The actress playing 355 is NAILING this role.

I have no idea how to watch this in the UK...

View PostTiste Simeon, on 22 September 2021 - 12:00 PM, said:

Stand by it appears that it's on Disney+ now! Oh dang I'm watching this next!

Yah the release was weird, Disney+ in placed, FX in others, Hulu in others. We got it on FX here which means we have maybe 2 weeks to watch before it vanishes.

View Postparan falcon, on 22 September 2021 - 01:17 PM, said:

Just watched the 4th (and final of S1?) ep of this last night and for the first time saw that its based on a comic series. I had not been aware of that but it fits, seeing how a lot of the better movie/tv writing is based off comics and graphic novels these days. Agree pretty much completely with your assessment of the show. I found Yorick annoying pretty quickly, unfortunately. Was he portrayed the same way in the comics?

Thoroughly agree about the actress playing 355. She's the most interesting character on the show and the one that has me wanting more of her backstory above all others. What exactly was she and her unit(s) doing for the president prior? And the daydream forest dance vision/memory? More, please.

S1 is 8 eps.
TV Yorick is very VERY different from the comics. In the comics he's overall more competent and confident, less whiny. Even the monkey is better. The situations he found himself in early in the floppies showed he could survive, as opposed to TV Yorick who whatever the hell was going on in the flooded tunnel and dry cleaner.
...which is not to say i have a huge problem w TV Yorick because he has a lot of room to grow into the way better character i expect Vaughn and Guerrera are aiming for. It's just that they are starting from a very low place for a charater whois supposed to be the protagonist. I don't mind 355 carrying him for a while, she's awesome.

Ah ok. Yeah for TV it does actually make sense to give Yorick a lot of room to grow/improve. I suppose there would have been less "conflict" or butting of heads with 355 if he wasn't the way they've made him so far. I may wait till the rest of the season has dropped before continuing.

Ep 5.

Dear tv people,
Please revamp/retitle the series 'Y The Last Man Sucked So We Offed Him But Everyone Else is Interesting' or just give Agent 355 her own spinoff.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6815 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 October 2021 - 03:51 PM

TED LASSO is worth the Apple TV subscription alone. It's phenomenal TV.

I'm going to be watching THE MOSQUITO COAST and FOR ALL MANKIND as well, but can't chime in on them yet.

#6816 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 October 2021 - 04:46 PM

Dip into 'The Problem With Jon Stewart' while you're on that streaming service. Haven't watched it myself, but curious to know if it's any good.

#6817 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 October 2021 - 01:08 PM

THE MOSQUITO COAST is shit. Which is odd because the lead is Justin Theroux, nephew of the goddamn author of the book Paul Theroux. It's just "run, run, run" on all 3 of the eps I watched, and I looked ahead and it's more running. Like they don't even get to the "COAST" of the novel till the LKAST episode apparently. Season 1 is "running away from the US through Mexico". Beyond which, they dangle a reason they are running in the first place (something no one in the family talks about and only the parents know) but never answer it...is a completely fabricated thing for the show as it was not present in the book or the original film.

I was just annoyed.

How do you fuck this up so badly? It's a pretty simple story: Crazy inventor who doesn't like capitalism and the US system of govt or education takes his family to live off the grid in Honduras where he gets progressively more and more disconnected from reality while his family watches.

But yeah, they've clearly set out to tell a Multi-season story so they've added all this extraneous bullshit to fill out the run time of a 10-ep season.

And I don't like Justin Theroux as an actor....I find him offputting.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 06 October 2021 - 01:14 PM

#6818 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 October 2021 - 02:29 PM

He was excellent in The Leftovers. And that's not a controversial opinion. It's widely held by professional critics and the casual television viewer alike.

#6819 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 October 2021 - 05:44 PM

View PostAbyss, on 23 July 2021 - 03:08 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 July 2021 - 03:03 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 23 July 2021 - 02:19 PM, said:

Yet i have started BOSCH and DAMN that is good tv.

That whole show only flies at ALL because Titus Welliver is an absolute BEAST of an actor who chews every scene he's in.

Am only on S1... so far the production and most of the supporting cast are fairly solid. Plots run from predictable (and yes Welliver carries those) to reasonably interesting.

Also one of those shows that employs a metric tonne of actors we've seen in other shows so it's fun to play 'spot the Sons of Anarchy/Breaking Bad/The Americans/etc cast member'.

View Postworry, on 24 July 2021 - 04:07 AM, said:

Only 5 eps?! That's a little skimpy.
Re: Bosch. I too am currently Bosching. Started S4 tonight. All I can say is if you're looking for some Bosch, this show is a high-yielding source of it.

Halfway thru S6. Great show.
S4 was a bit of a dip (the K-Killer WTF WAS THAT?), but 5 came screaming back and 6 is cruising along nicely with 5 interweaving and very engaging storylines. QT i take your point about Welliver, he's awesome, but i am seriously loving the entire cast. Some of the one shot extras victims random bystanders cops etc are a bit weak but the main cast are SO good and just nail the chemistry, or deliberate lack of it.

Almost bummed we only have one season to go, but i see rumours of a spinoff are out there.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6820 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 07 October 2021 - 08:45 PM

So I finished SQUID GAME and it's definitely worth the hype. What an insane, violent and truly human story that is. Tiniest bit frustrated by the ending but I think it was to leave room for further exploration of the story but I read somewhere the director wasn't planning on making a second season so I dunno.

Utterly enthralling drama!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 389 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic