• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#6581 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 June 2021 - 08:19 PM

Finally started watching Mare of Easttown. First thought: wow this is depressing. Second thought: but wait, that spoiler I inadvertently saw---the headline about
Spoiler
---oddly enough seems to be making it more bearable...
Spoiler

#6582 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 June 2021 - 06:02 AM

the GF and I both really enjoyed Mare of Easttown. Very worth the watch all the way. It is depressing in its way, but also deeply human with lots of warmth and kindness spread through.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#6583 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 June 2021 - 06:44 AM

i just can't muster any enthusiasm for hours of television produced with the express purpose of depressing me.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6584 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 04 June 2021 - 07:33 AM

You didnt watch GoT?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6585 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 June 2021 - 09:00 PM

Aside from the accent, Mare's facial expressions / body language remind me a lot of my aunt (from rural Pennsylvania though, not Delco...).

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 04 June 2021 - 09:00 PM

#6586 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 June 2021 - 04:34 AM

I started watching Mare too, coincidentally enough. It's grim, but it's got its lighter moments too (at least 3 eps in). I don't think it's as depressing as, say, Mystic River, but maybe that's yet to come.

Anyway, between all her HBO shows and Fargo on FX, Jean Smart is really having a renaissance huh!

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6587 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 June 2021 - 09:45 PM

Started Shadow and Bone... first impression---aside from the main character it's a lot of indistinct mumbling + excessively loud background noise. What is wrong with these audio engineers....

[Edit: it gets a bit better but still, if I turn it up enough to hear what many of them are mumbling the background noise frequently becomes painfully loud. Bet they're losing a non-negligible % of their potential audience with the atrocious audio levels in those opening scenes.]

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 06 June 2021 - 10:00 PM

#6588 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 07 June 2021 - 04:56 PM

Wrapped up Fringe. I can see why people didn’t like the 5th season. Such a change from the previous seasons. And they really tried to stretch Joshua Jackson’s acting chops, which he doesn’t really have.

I still enjoyed the heck out of it though. Probably not enough to muster a rewatch one of these days, but we’ll see.

Started rewatching Seinfeld for something lighter. I don’t know how anyone doesn’t like this show.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#6589 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 07 June 2021 - 07:52 PM

Posting this here because it falls more in the television (entertainment) category than sport.

So if you guys can find it online, watch the Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs Logan Paul fight (and also the Ocho Cinco vs ? - already forgot his name - fight). Desus & Mero helped call both fights and they had us in stitches. One of the funniest, unscripted comedic moments on television I think I've seen. Those guys are quick with the wit. You know they were honing their skills by talking shit on the playground in the Bronx when they were kids.

- You play football. You don't play boxing.

#6590 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 08 June 2021 - 04:43 AM

TABOO... two eps in.
I haven't made my mind up yet, but have to give the production credit... they tell us everything, show us almost nothing, and yet it totally works. The show is almost entirely grumpy people with bad skin and worse teeth talking about bad things, the viewer sees none of those things, yet they make it compelling. Also totally sells filthy 1800s London as filthy. Tom Hardy is wasted in superhero movies.

#6591 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 08 June 2021 - 12:38 PM

Sixth season of 'Inside no.9' is well underway, and so far it has been an absolute gem once again. Any other fans here?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6592 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 June 2021 - 12:41 PM

Watched BO BURNHAM: INSIDE on Netflix.

Wow.

I've never seen anything that was quite like this. It's funny, majorly satirical, and makes you look inward.

VERY good.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6593 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 June 2021 - 05:04 PM

THE CIRCLE on Netflix. I'm aware it's bottom of the barrel trash reality TV...but it's amusing to goof on and sometimes the wife and I just need something we can ignore.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6594 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 June 2021 - 01:51 AM

Yah Inside was pretty great. Along with his last special that IIRC was pretty good, Bo Burnham has grown up a lot from his early edgelordier days and it's really nice to see, even if the subject matter is increasingly bleak.

I had no idea there were 6 series of Inside No. 9. I think Hulu here in the States only has the first two for some reason, so I gotta find the rest. That show is hilarious.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6595 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 June 2021 - 03:01 AM

View PostAbyss, on 04 June 2021 - 06:44 AM, said:

i just can't muster any enthusiasm for hours of television produced with the express purpose of depressing me.

View PostGorefest, on 04 June 2021 - 07:33 AM, said:

You didnt watch GoT?

GoT had zombies, ice elves, dire wolves, cannibals, dragons, little people, giants, mages, freaky fire priestesses, tree people, a virus that turns people into stone, knights, pirates, barbarians, and a 14 year old girl who became the world's greatest assassin in about three hours. I had a great time.

#6596 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 09 June 2021 - 09:07 AM

View PostAbyss, on 08 June 2021 - 04:43 AM, said:

TABOO... two eps in.
I haven't made my mind up yet, but have to give the production credit... they tell us everything, show us almost nothing, and yet it totally works. The show is almost entirely grumpy people with bad skin and worse teeth talking about bad things, the viewer sees none of those things, yet they make it compelling. Also totally sells filthy 1800s London as filthy. Tom Hardy is wasted in superhero movies.

I loved this. They really made London the shitpile it was, and Jonathon Pryce and Jason Watkins are so good.

Also Tom Hardy striding round London in a top hat battering people was way more entertaining than I thought it would be.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#6597 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 09 June 2021 - 01:25 PM

View PostAbyss, on 09 June 2021 - 03:01 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 04 June 2021 - 06:44 AM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 04 June 2021 - 07:33 AM, said:

You didnt watch GoT?

GoT had...and a 14 year old girl who became the world's greatest assassin in about three hours. I had a great time.

But she was struck BLIND for 21 minutes of that 3 hours so...

#6598 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 June 2021 - 04:02 PM

View PostTraveller, on 09 June 2021 - 09:07 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 08 June 2021 - 04:43 AM, said:

TABOO... two eps in.

I loved this. They really made London the shitpile it was, and Jonathon Pryce and Jason Watkins are so good.

Also Tom Hardy striding round London in a top hat battering people was way more entertaining than I thought it would be.

Ep 4 now. The art direction in this series is so good. Every time they move into a 'clean' setting the jump from all the dirt and misery is physically jarring.
And King George is absolute GLORIOUSLY hideous on every level.
Agreed re Hardy in his hat and coat, his whole bearing every time he walks the streets. It's like everyone and everything is shying away from him slightly. I cannot easily recall an actor visually chewing scenery so hard while barely speaking.

#6599 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 09 June 2021 - 08:49 PM

Watched Watchmen. It was real good as a show in its own right, but as a Watchmen story it ended kinda dissapointingly- didn't have the cleverness or moral ambiguity of the OG ending, and indeed kind of undercut the original.

About Tabboo - there's a fair bit to like there but I ended up feeling it was trying way too hard all the damn time.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#6600 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 June 2021 - 12:53 PM

Disney+ Nat Geo section has a two-part Documentary called THE 90's (each part is 1.5hrs long) from 2014, narrated by Rob Lowe, and it's REALLY good. It makes me SUPER nostalgic for my youth. Worth your time if you lived through the 90's, or want to know more about that decade.

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

13 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users