• You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#6481 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 28 April 2021 - 10:54 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 28 April 2021 - 04:08 PM, said:

So we finished SHADOW AND BONE and we loved it! Really enjoyable, great group of characters (each of the mains seemed well casted and I especially liked the chemistry between the three Crows). While I loved Nina as a character, her arc could have possibly been completely cut from the show without making too much difference plot wise but I am glad she was there.

It sets itself up for a second season nicely and I imagine they'll get it. It's a nice, more family friendly counterpoint to The Witcher.

I was hooked with how tight ep1 was in terms of setting up the cast, giving you just enough exposition to understand the world and quickly moving through the action. Looking forward to wrapping this one up.

#6482 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 April 2021 - 11:21 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 28 April 2021 - 04:08 PM, said:

So we finished SHADOW AND BONE and we loved it! Really enjoyable, great group of characters (each of the mains seemed well casted and I especially liked the chemistry between the three Crows). While I loved Nina as a character, her arc could have possibly been completely cut from the show without making too much difference plot wise but I am glad she was there.

It sets itself up for a second season nicely and I imagine they'll get it. It's a nice, more family friendly counterpoint to The Witcher.

So the Crows (No Mourners, No Funerals) main story from the books has not happened yet...this is sort of a prequel to get them there in a later season. Nina will make more sense later.

Glad you enjoyed it!

View PostBriar King, on 28 April 2021 - 08:44 PM, said:

I’m on ep 3 or maybe 4 of a show called Shadow and Bone on Netflix. It’s not bad but I’m really disoriented with the locations of everything and have no real grasp of the world but it was good up until I stopped a few days ago when it became
Spoiler

Will likely finish.

No rush.

It’s the Grishaverse books!

The magic school thing is brief, so don’t worry about that.

It’s basically fantasy pre-Soviet Russia (Ravka), Ketterdam (Amsterdam), Fjerda (Finland/Norway), Novyi Zem (The USA, but all POC), Shu Han (China), and fantasy Russia has been split in half by a big magical shadow sea that makes it weak to its enemies (like Fjerda, who think Ravka is all witches who need exterminated). The king is ineffectual, and the kingdom is ruled over by the darkling who commands shadow magic.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6483 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:52 AM

I really enjoyed it, as did Laura. She more than me actually. Great fun, great casting and set design.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#6484 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 29 April 2021 - 04:13 PM

Huh, the actor who plays Alex Krychek - Mulder's nemesis in X-files, just showed up as a minor character that gets killed in episode 15, season 1.

I always find it weird when shows use actors twice. Especially if it's a major role they're reused as.

#6485 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 April 2021 - 04:22 PM

View PostAptorian, on 29 April 2021 - 04:13 PM, said:

Huh, the actor who plays Alex Krychek - Mulder's nemesis in X-files, just showed up as a minor character that gets killed in episode 15, season 1.

I always find it weird when shows use actors twice. Especially if it's a major role they're reused as.

It happened a LOT in the 90's, and not just in the US, but in the UK too. Hell, playing two roles (a minor and a major one) on DOCTOR WHO is a badge of honour that happened as recently as Peter Capaldi, and Karen Gillan.

Star Trek TNG was notorious for this. My favourite by far is Michelle Forbes. She played a bit part (a disgruntled daughter of an alien who wanted to defect from his culture because they practice ritualistic suicide as tradition) in Season 4 Episode 22, and then 7 episodes later in Season 5 Episode 3 she shows up as her main TNG role as Bajoran Ensign Ro Laren, a role she would play for the rest of the series.

I think they often cast ppl bit roles and realize the acting or chemistry of the person is high enough to bring them back as someone more prominent.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6486 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 April 2021 - 05:51 PM

Watched the first episode of Mare of Easttown. Slow burn (and sorta too much so). There's enough to have me back (I usually try to give a show 3-4 episodes before I make a decision to bail out).

Kate Winslet is going HAM on the accent, but kind of distractedly so because she emphasizes it big time for obvious words - e.g. door and overdoses (like the sound when saying Uber, so like "uverdoses"). But then her dialog is neutral the rest of the time (it seems to me anyway). I can even detect her natural British coming through at times (subtle, but if you pay attention you can hear it sometimes). In Episode 1 she leans in hard with the Philly accent in the first scene though. I guess they were really attempting to make that a feature to put people in the setting? dunno. Anyway, the episode ends such that I want to watch the 2nd episode. Will keep going and hope it picks up.

#6487 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 30 April 2021 - 06:51 AM

Currently on a nostalgia binge and re-watching Xena: Warrior Princess. Don't think I ever saw all of it when it aired originally. So much fun :D
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#6488 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:16 AM

Season 4 of Castlevania may 13th

I’m happy!

Though also makes me realize how many seasons of various shows are overdue due to covid

#6489 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 30 April 2021 - 09:12 AM

Xena only got better with time. When the last season ran it was getting into some really cool Norse mythology.

#6490 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 April 2021 - 10:56 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 30 April 2021 - 06:51 AM, said:

Currently on a nostalgia binge and re-watching Xena: Warrior Princess. Don't think I ever saw all of it when it aired originally. So much fun :D

I adore this show. Got the whole series digitally on an iTunes sale a few years ago, and it was a great purchase as rewatching it has been a joy.

#6491 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 April 2021 - 05:25 PM

Been working my way through the recent season of Better Call Saul (about half way now). We got a Trevor (GTA V) sighting! Man I just love that actor and whenever I see him in something I smile. He is perfect in BCS as a scummy, creepy private investigator that Jimmy hires to do some work because Mike is unavailable. That final proposal he makes though, amirite? Damn, Jimmy and Kim couldn't end the meeting fast enough.

[EDIT] This most recent season of Better Call Saul is moving along to be the best one yet. It's aces.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 30 April 2021 - 05:26 PM

#6492 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:10 PM

Been meaning to ask if shadow and bone is worth watching

#6493 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:36 PM

View PostBriar King, on 30 April 2021 - 05:53 PM, said:

Watching OG ST and it surprisingly ain't to bad to look at in 4K. I've never actually done a full series watch but I have seen quite a few episodes back in the 80's. It's a really refreshing watch to being so old and not hammered with woke bullshit that is trashing tv screens now days but these wigs the gals are wearing are atrocious to look at. On S1 Ep 9 Miri

Charley X was fucking hilarious.

By OG ST, do you mean Star Trek TOS?

Because that stuff is political, and woke, as all hell! At least for its time.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#6494 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 30 April 2021 - 08:21 PM

View PostBriar King, on 30 April 2021 - 07:48 PM, said:

That's funny.

And also true.

Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#6495 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 30 April 2021 - 09:01 PM

View PostCause, on 30 April 2021 - 07:10 PM, said:

Been meaning to ask if shadow and bone is worth watching

I knew nothing about it so went in blind and enjoyed it, it's not amazing but better than a lot of shows out there, slow part in the middle but it soon picks up again and ends well. I'd give it a watch for sure.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#6496 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 01 May 2021 - 08:23 AM

Lost. Is it worth checking out?

#6497 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 01 May 2021 - 06:25 PM

Of you haven't been spoiled about the various twists it's well worth checking out. The period around season 3 and 4 is really rewarding. The final season is just dumb.

#6498 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 May 2021 - 03:37 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 01 May 2021 - 08:23 AM, said:

Yes. YMMV at points, but when it's good, it's very good, and when it's bad it's still entertaining.

...unless you're the kind of viewer who requires everything explained in detail and cannot abide unresolved mysteries, in which case avoid.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6499 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 May 2021 - 07:48 PM

View PostAbyss, on 02 May 2021 - 03:37 AM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 01 May 2021 - 08:23 AM, said:

Yes. YMMV at points, but when it's good, it's very good, and when it's bad it's still entertaining.

...unless you're the kind of viewer who requires everything explained in detail and cannot abide unresolved mysteries, in which case avoid.

The unresolved mystery approach can be annoying. Especially, like TWD was notorious for doing, if they drop clues or tease something and nothing ever comes from it. Lazy, unimaginative writers do that, in my opinion, especially the new crop who have convinced themselves they are being clever and believe the audience will love never knowing, and embrace the - "what was that was all about?". It's a way to fill up an hour if you don't have anything else. Now if there is a payoff, and hopefully not four seasons later, then I'm okay with it.

#6500 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 02 May 2021 - 09:22 PM

Ah man after years of watching the best police drama bar none, Line of Duty, it ended today (most likely).

And, well...
Spoiler

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic