• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#6321 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 December 2020 - 04:40 PM

Any of you guys hear of or watched the show Mr. Inbetween?

I just finished season 2. Season 1 was fine enough and I enjoyed it, but holy crap in season 2 it gets really good. It's a dark comedy and the premise of the show is about a for hire hitman, Ray, and the dichotomy of his life as a single dad with his line of work. If a show like Breaking Bad was something you enjoyed, I think this show will be something you would like. There are tender and funny moments between Ray and his daughter and family/friends, but holy hell, when his needle is on red he aint to be fucked with. And there is a warning in that, the show gets really dark and grim because of his profession and uncontrollable anger... like really really grim and dark. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has seen it and what your thoughts are? Give it a go if you are looking for something to watch and you need something to fill that Breaking Bad void.

#6322 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 December 2020 - 02:07 PM

About a week ago iTunes had a big digital TV box set sale and STARGATE SG1, which is normally about $120 for the complete series, was set to $50. I have never watched it, and always wanted to and was bored waiting for the series to show back up on streaming (It was on CDN Netflix like 5 years ago)...so $50 was a hell of a deal for 214 episodes. I loved the original movie, and I'm a huge fan of Richard Dean Anderson from his Macgyver days (Yes, I'm old).

Anyways, the first few eps were middling-fine (the opening pilot movie had full frontal nudity in it out of the blue), but about half way through S1 things have gotten REALLY good. The writing steps up a LOT. I would say that there have already been about 5 or 6 REALLY good episodes in a row. One of them really stuck me as near perfect, it was about a guy going back through the gate in 1945 (no one thought they had there gate working before Daniel helped them in the 90's movie) and got stuck. It's a bottle episode, but holy hell what a great bottle episode!

Anyways, I know I'm behind the times here, but just wanted to say I'm REALLY enjoying it and I think I and starting to see why so many people love this show.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 04 December 2020 - 02:08 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6323 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 December 2020 - 02:20 PM

Stargate got better and better with each season. I remember it sort of flaundering for a while, during some later seasons because they sort of wrapped up their big bads but then they introduced some even cooler baddies, where I'd have been cool with them going for another 5 seasons if they wanted to. Really good sci-fi show.

Any of you guys know if there's plans for a new show? With todays TV-budgets and CGI-advances, you could create a really cool reboot.

#6324 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 December 2020 - 03:26 PM

View PostThe Incredible Aptorian, on 04 December 2020 - 02:20 PM, said:

Stargate got better and better with each season. I remember it sort of flaundering for a while, during some later seasons because they sort of wrapped up their big bads but then they introduced some even cooler baddies, where I'd have been cool with them going for another 5 seasons if they wanted to. Really good sci-fi show.

Any of you guys know if there's plans for a new show? With todays TV-budgets and CGI-advances, you could create a really cool reboot.

I know UNIVERSE was considered quite good and had just gotten it's legs in S2, but then cancelled.

I've not heard anything new beyond that. But I have a lot to watch before that anyways. :)
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6325 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 04 December 2020 - 11:51 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 24 November 2020 - 02:50 PM, said:

Very, very late to the party, but I've binged all of Avatar: The Last Airbender this last week.

What a gorgeous series. Tells the story elegantly in three seasons, no bloat, and a satisfying strong ending. THAT is how you do fantasy storytelling.

Started watching this show on a dead night shift when I was single crewed so had a bit of time to kill.

Man it's good. And pretty funny too!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6326 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 05 December 2020 - 12:46 AM

Been in the HBO series mood lately so I’ve been catching up with my favorites.

Band of Brothers was first of course, I’ve lost track of how many time I’ve watched that magnificent series. Still so friggin good.

3 episodes into Rome. Remembering why I loved Titus Pullo so much. Ray Stevenson was born for that role.

Thinking either The Wire or Leftovers next. Or I might start newsroom, haven’t gave it a go yet.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#6327 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 05 December 2020 - 02:14 PM

Loving The Expanse right now. Bout halfway through season 3 now.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#6328 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 05 December 2020 - 04:52 PM

Yes. The expanse is excellent. Season 5 Dec 16th!

#6329 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 December 2020 - 06:41 PM

Oh my, the new season of Euphoria starts Sunday night. I never really got this show, I guess I'm not a TikTok gen z'er, so I'm guessing that is a barrier to entry right off the bat? Dunno. I think it really comes off as disingenuous and reaching in how it attempts to portray the milieu of today's youth. Also, people say Zendaya is great in this, but I'm sorta 'meh' about her portrayal of drug addicted, figuring out her identity, Rue Bennett. She's not bad, per se, but I'm not blown away by the performance and ownership of this character like others think Zendaya has commanded and taken hold of. The narration aspect of her character talking during each episode is overdone also, imo. Isn't over used narration, like, a lazy way to push a story forward?

I'll probably watch the new season, or at least give it a try for a few episodes. I feel it keeps me from experiencing FOMO about what all the hip gen z'ers are naughtily up to at this current moment and stage of societal decay. Also, there's supposed to be 1/3rd more weeners, so that's like, a lot of weeners.

#6330 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 December 2020 - 04:23 AM

SCHITTS CREEK was so much better than I expected.

QUEEN'S GAMBIT lived up to the hype.

Two eps into THE UNDOING now, I can see two ways this goes that are obvious. Am hoping it surprises me.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6331 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 07 December 2020 - 03:26 AM

Expanse season 5 that’s amazing news. Season 4 was a little meh though

Okay people
Thursday = Star Trek
Friday = mandalorian

I need a show for mon tues and Wednesday

#6332 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 07 December 2020 - 04:07 AM

Finished The Undoing. As these drama/mystery/psycho-thriller miniseries go, it puts its foot on the gas by the end of episode 1 and doesn't let up. There is something tension filled at the end of every episode that gets you addicted, and jonesin' to get back to the next episode to see how it continues. I enjoyed it. Great work by the actors in this one. Nicole Kidman has really carved out a niche for herself in doing these type of roles. No spoilers, but if you pay astute attention during the early episodes you can possibly see where it will go. It was a cool little angle in which they approach it and they pull it off with great effect.

#6333 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 December 2020 - 02:14 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 18 November 2020 - 08:02 PM, said:

Watched the first few episodes of How To with John Wilson.

Something familiar was coming through strong in this show and then I realized what it was when I seen Nathan Fielder is the executive producer when the credits rolled. If you've ever watched Nathan For You then you know what I'm talking about. How To with John Wilson is every bit as quirky and oddball as Nathan for You was.
<snip>

HBO's 'How to With John Wilson' Is One of the Funniest Shows of the Year

Fair warning: There's a tweeness to some of the storytelling, particularly in the first episode, "How to Make Small Talk," which I found off-putting at times. Thankfully, Wilson is often quick to undercut the show's saccharine moments with the occasional morbid observation or genuinely bizarre exchange. (The "How to Cover Your Furniture" episode, the purely funniest episode by far, goes to a shocking, unclassifiable place.)

I dare you guys to find out just what that "shocking, unclassifiable place" is.Posted Image

#6334 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 08 December 2020 - 02:28 AM

View PostCause, on 07 December 2020 - 03:26 AM, said:

Expanse season 5 that’s amazing news. Season 4 was a little meh

I thought so too. I’m hoping it’s like that stepping stone season that’s kinda boring but it’s setting up the story for the big payoff.

#6335 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 08 December 2020 - 03:32 AM

For briar
Spoiler

#6336 User is online   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 09 December 2020 - 05:02 PM

History of Curse Words - Featuring Nicholas Cage

Hot damn!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#6337 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 December 2020 - 08:12 PM

Probably wayyyyy behind the curve,but the lady and I watch The Nightmanager recently, on prime. It's a 6 part series, a take on one of Le Carres novels, starting Tom Loki Hiddleston.

Lady was sceptical going in, I just picked it because Le Carre and Hiddleston. Fuck it's good.

And as a villain, A VILLAIN, you get Hugh Laurie,and he is superb

#6338 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 December 2020 - 08:20 PM

Yes. GREAT fucking show!

#6339 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 December 2020 - 02:52 PM

View PostBriar King, on 10 December 2020 - 02:37 PM, said:

SG-1 S1 Ep 1 on Netflix. HOLYSHIT!!!!

The Children of the Gods Pilot movie two-parter? Are you speaking of the full frontal nudity out of nowhere?

LOL

It never occurs again, and never aired on network TV...but Jack has been known to utter "bullshit" on occasion since this aired after 9PM in prime time, that was okay.

I just started S2 and I FULLY get now why people love this show. It's REALLLLLLLLLY good.

#6340 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 December 2020 - 03:30 PM

View PostBriar King, on 10 December 2020 - 03:27 PM, said:

No I just ment HOLYSHIT SG-1 is on Netflix finally and I’m watching it in general.

Yeah, I've never watched it before, and I'm loving it!

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users