• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#6201 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 September 2020 - 05:03 PM

View PostBriar King, on 12 September 2020 - 10:27 PM, said:

Watched ep 1 of Cobra Kai....holy shit that was epic. What a blast of nostalgia straight to the face. WOW.

I was pleasantly surprised by Cobra Kai as well. Good nostalgia for fans of the first movie, as you said. I liked the juxtaposition of the 2 guys from the karate match on; I hadn't expected that but thought it was well done. I've finished S1 and will get into S2 soon.

#6202 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 September 2020 - 05:20 PM

What I like about COBRA KAI is that it very much shows you that Johnny was a complete victim of circumstance not only in his home life, but under a total asshole like Kreese as a karate teacher. It helps him be the hero EVEN while we also have Daniel as a hero too.

The show treads the line of goodness between the cobra Kai dojo and the miyagi-do dojo style...

I also feel like (spoilers up to the end of season 2)

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 13 September 2020 - 05:21 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6203 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 13 September 2020 - 09:11 PM

Watched the series Perry Mason on HBO. It has some cool film noir vibes, but overall it isn't all that captivating of a show. I'm not really keen on the story line with the religious cult aspect. It didn't really mesh well with overall aspect of the trial. There are some good performances from ‎Matthew Rhys (as Perry Mason) during the trial. And his side-kick / PI helper is excellent. As well as the African American police officer who has to make difficult (and right) decisions, at the peril of his family (setting is early 1930s California). Actress Tatiana Maslany's talent is wasted. Although I've never see her in anything, I heard that show were she takes on a bunch of different characters is supposed to be a tour de force. If Perry Mason continues a second season, not sure if I will watch.

#6204 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:15 PM

View PostBriar King, on 15 September 2020 - 07:17 PM, said:

Finished Cobra Kai. I loved almost every bit of it. The last episode was a bit much but you couldn’t really ask for a better follow up show then what we got here. It’s not mind blowing tv but it is utterly fantastic tv for original 70’s and 80’s kids.

Season 3 is coming in 2021!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6205 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 September 2020 - 05:20 AM

Holy crap! I just saw a commercial for an upcoming show on Netflix called "Ratched", and it looks unsettling and disturbing AF. Uh, it has to be based on the nurse from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, right?

Fun fact :: in high school I took a Psychology class in the 11th grade. Our teacher showed One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and then we had a discussion afterward. It was uncomfortable but interesting from what I recall. My teacher had an unsettling amount of knowledge about electro-shock therapy.

#6206 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 September 2020 - 11:44 AM

4 Part Limited series about the 1986 Challenger disaster is on Netflix.

It's called CHALLENGER: THE FINAL FLIGHT.

Watch all 4 parts. It's interesting because 4 big things have occurred in my life that I remember VIVIDLY, The Chernobyl disaster (also '86), 9/11, The Fall of the Berlin Wall ('91), and The Challenger Disaster ('86).

I remember the Challenger vividly becuase I was 9, and our school thought it was such a big deal that an American Teacher was going into space that they gathered us all in the auditorium and played the live launch footage for us...only for the accident to occur and traumatize the lot of us.

What I learned from the docuseries is that a perfect storm of events and delays made sure that the launch happened on a weekday so schools could broadcast it...it was supposed to go up on a Sunday.

The documentary doesn't shy away from NASA's responsibility for the O-ring fault and cover up attempt (which was revealed by badass nobel-winning physicist Richard Feynman of all people!)...the fact that they KNEW there were issues with the o-rings in the solid rocket boosters for YEARS and especially when cold temperatures hit (which they did the day of launch)...blows my mind. They literally manslaughter 7 people who didn't know that the Solid Rocket booster engineering company Morton Thiakol had a bunch of people TELLING them not to launch....and NASA did it anyways because the naysayers in the room could not GUARANTEE that the rocket boosters would explode...they just said they very well could (one of them said it would explode outright)...and NASA took that as a chance they would take.

Which is fucked up.

It's a very good series and I THOUGHT it would sing the praises of NASA, but it is VERY critical of the choices made by the men and women who sent her up knowing about the flaws.

EDIT: Oh and it should come as utterly no surprise that Reagan was part fo the cover up attempt by telling people not to "embarrass NASA"...

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 18 September 2020 - 12:03 PM

#6207 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 19 September 2020 - 01:46 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 September 2020 - 11:44 AM, said:

4 Part Limited series about the 1986 Challenger disaster is on Netflix.

It's called CHALLENGER: THE FINAL FLIGHT.

Watch all 4 parts. It's interesting because 4 big things have occurred in my life that I remember VIVIDLY, The Chernobyl disaster (also '86), 9/11, The Fall of the Berlin Wall ('91), and The Challenger Disaster ('86).

I remember the Challenger vividly becuase I was 9, and our school thought it was such a big deal that an American Teacher was going into space that they gathered us all in the auditorium and played the live launch footage for us...only for the accident to occur and traumatize the lot of us.

What I learned from the docuseries is that a perfect storm of events and delays made sure that the launch happened on a weekday so schools could broadcast it...it was supposed to go up on a Sunday.

The documentary doesn't shy away from NASA's responsibility for the O-ring fault and cover up attempt (which was revealed by badass nobel-winning physicist Richard Feynman of all people!)...the fact that they KNEW there were issues with the o-rings in the solid rocket boosters for YEARS and especially when cold temperatures hit (which they did the day of launch)...blows my mind. They literally manslaughter 7 people who didn't know that the Solid Rocket booster engineering company Morton Thiakol had a bunch of people TELLING them not to launch....and NASA did it anyways because the naysayers in the room could not GUARANTEE that the rocket boosters would explode...they just said they very well could (one of them said it would explode outright)...and NASA took that as a chance they would take.

Which is fucked up.

It's a very good series and I THOUGHT it would sing the praises of NASA, but it is VERY critical of the choices made by the men and women who sent her up knowing about the flaws.

EDIT: Oh and it should come as utterly no surprise that Reagan was part fo the cover up attempt by telling people not to "embarrass NASA"...

I'll have to watch that. Challenger is a vivid memory to me as well. I lived in Tampa at the time and was finishing my senior year of high school via homeschooling and also working at a "chicken" restaurant. I was at work when a customer came in and said he'd heard on the radio something had gone wrong with Challenger. Everyone in the place ran outside where we literally saw the smoke trails of parts of Challenger coming back down. While that was horrifying and shocking enough, it didn't really hit me until I got home and turned on the news and really remembered the individual lives lost. That hit like a gut punch all over again.

#6208 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 19 September 2020 - 11:50 PM

FYI. Letterkenny was even better on the re-watch.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#6209 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:37 PM

Did not know that Power Book II: Ghost was airing. Gonna have to wait until they run them all and binge it. If you guys haven't watched Power, you gotta give it a try. Really violent, so be forewarned about that. But damn, its got some compelling character development.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 20 September 2020 - 09:38 PM

#6210 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 September 2020 - 10:06 AM

Just watched Ep 5 on Season 2 of The Boys (awesome) and there was a - non-spoilerific - stand-in for Homelander on a film set with A-Train who says "Hey dude, that was awesome". Dammit if he looks familiar, but I can't find anything online.

EDIT: IMDB says he's one "Anthony Bewlz" who has been in ... nothing I've seen. Must just have one of those faces.
Although apparently he's also the in-real-life stand-in for Antony Starr as Homelander.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 21 September 2020 - 11:26 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#6211 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 September 2020 - 04:16 PM

Watching AWAY on Netflix.
It's.... unsubtle. The cast is doing their best, the production (sets, sound, fx) are well done, but - so far, 4 eps in - this is a very by the numbers show. The main plot, following the crew of the first manned space flight to Mars on their three year journey, is engaging to a point. But since they're basically sitting around on a decently roomy set, and not an alien or Trek-type anomaly to be seen, we get... PERSONAL DRAMAAAAAAAAA... and it is very, very, by the numbers, basic tv 101. It's well done basic and they sell it, but we could have stuck most of the cast in a Starbucks across from the apartment building they all lived in and had the same plotlines. I'm in for now because this is about as sophisticated tv as i have time and attention and awake for. I hope it gets better tho'.

Nat Geo's MARS lost me because it shifted focus to the technical to the detriment of the personal. This is going the other direction.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6212 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 September 2020 - 04:22 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 September 2020 - 04:16 PM, said:

Watching AWAY on Netflix.
It's.... unsubtle. The cast is doing their best, the production (sets, sound, fx) are well done, but - so far, 4 eps in - this is a very by the numbers show. The main plot, following the crew of the first manned space flight to Mars on their three year journey, is engaging to a point. But since they're basically sitting around on a decently roomy set, and not an alien or Trek-type anomaly to be seen, we get... PERSONAL DRAMAAAAAAAAA... and it is very, very, by the numbers, basic tv 101. It's well done basic and they sell it, but we could have stuck most of the cast in a Starbucks across from the apartment building they all lived in and had the same plotlines. I'm in for now because this is about as sophisticated tv as i have time and attention and awake for. I hope it gets better tho'.

Nat Geo's MARS lost me because it shifted focus to the technical to the detriment of the personal. This is going the other direction.

Yes.

This is EXACTLY my take on AWAY as well.

Within the first episode I felt it was REALLY boilerplate "The Right Stuff" NASA-branded content without the heart? Like the space stuff is mildly interesting and decently done, but the earth-based stuff is boring AF. So I want it to get back to space, because the earth drama is boring, but the space stuff if not giving me much either. Like do we need a whole back and forth scene of whether Swank is going to come home because of her ill husband and lost-without-her daughter...no...why? Becuase the show is like ten episodes about going to Mars...so in no way do we ever think she's not going....but we get a fucking 15 minute overwrought juxtaposed back and forth with most of the cast weighing her leaving to come home...only for Dead Poets Society to tell her "Go"...like fuck you for making all that content that is not remotely needed. Then even the space-bound-moon stuff about the accident is the most heavy-handed shit about "not trusting your leader" bullshit I've yet seen...including all the talking heads being interviewed for their take...only for a spacewalk to settle the notion...like just fuck off with this pedestrian writing.

Fuck it, watch COBRA KAI instead. It's amazing.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 September 2020 - 04:24 PM

#6213 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:49 PM

I know the good portion of you don't give a shit about sports, and I would usually post this in the NFL discussion thread, but I thought this was noteworthy for you all. Tonight, try to tune in to the beginning of the game between Las Vegas Raiders v New Orleans Saints. The game is in Las Vegas and the Raiders' new stadium is supposed to be bonkers. It's all black and I heard that the lights from the Vegas strip against it is supposed to be something to behold. It's also been dubbed the "Death Star", so that should get you booger eaters to check it out, right?

Posted Image
I'll never get used to the 'Las Vegas' Raiders it's so weird to hear that.

#6214 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:18 PM

Why do people always think labeling something the Death Star is a good idea?
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#6215 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:55 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 21 September 2020 - 07:18 PM, said:

Why do people always think labeling something the Death Star is a good idea?

Being a fascist is very "in" at the moment.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6216 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 September 2020 - 11:44 PM

But they have the best uniforms!

Come on Simmo, you know deep down that if they changed the bobby uniform to a Clone- or Stormtrooper you'd be all about it in a flash.
And it wouldn't matter that they can't shoot for shit because you guys don't carry firearms. ;)
We could change your name to TS-6969. :D

Win-win!
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#6217 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:16 AM

Watching some of the pre-game and they are going over the stadium. This shit is crazy. I guess what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but also is done more extravagantly? Damn, they rocking natural grass that is 'retractable', da fook? That's mental! But from a practical standpoint, black absorbs heat, yeah? And Vegas aint exactly Sheboygan, WI, so how they gonna keep it cool?

[EDIT] Oh my, they lit a huge ass Al Davis torch, which I guess is one of the conversation pieces if you visit the stadium. You can't miss it.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 22 September 2020 - 12:18 AM

#6218 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 22 September 2020 - 01:10 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 September 2020 - 04:22 PM, said:

Fuck it, watch COBRA KAI instead. It's amazing.

Yar. Although the teen drama is... meh. Johnny is a great character though. Good on William Zabka.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6219 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 September 2020 - 04:00 AM

[UPDATE] - Raiders got the win. Which is nice. It would be a Vegas buzzkill if they would have lost, while christening their new home. You just know fools gonna be doing their version of the movie Hangover tonight.

The Killers played during half time, did their big hit, uh is it called Mr. Bright Eyes, or Bright Eyes? Never have really been into the Killers myself, so dunno. It was that familiar hit though. They are from Las Vegas, yeah? I'm guessing that is why they played the half time show.

As far as the stadium, not sure why they nick named it the 'Death Star'. It looks more like a big hockey puck to me. I guess 'Death Star' is on brand for the Raiders tough guy, men in black, menace of the league reputation? dunno.

Fun fact: when I worked at a golf course, one of the oldsters who worked there said his son handled the concessions at the old Oakland digs. He said that his son would have stories about how brutal the Raider's fans were. Like if you were wearing an opposing jersey and they caught you in an ideal place for a beat down (out of site of security), that was your ass, you were getting a beat down. His son also said that if you sat in any near enough proximity to Raiders fans in your seats and you had opposing team colors, might as well have brought a rain coat, cause you were going to be spit on throughout the game.

#6220 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 September 2020 - 08:52 AM

Mr Brightside. :p

Apparently that Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance got the best kid's show Emmy ... and then got cancelled.

Man, Netflix really are ruthless when it comes to renewing shows.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 22 September 2020 - 11:22 AM

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users