Ye Big TV Thread

#6041 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 May 2020 - 04:45 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 05 May 2020 - 04:38 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 May 2020 - 12:35 PM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 05 May 2020 - 12:28 PM, said:

Love After Life, great show. I know there are some Ricky Gervais haters out here, but it really is worth a watch.

Even if a person disliked his comedy, I find that this show showcases his absolutely STELLAR writing and flare for drama I didn't know he had in him. It's such a rewarding watch.

100%

I've got the season 2 finale to watch tonight and I've wrapped it up.

Excellent show.

Between this and the Detectorists, apparently o like British comedy. Any recommendations from you all?

Monty Python and the Holy Grail? My personal favorite comedy of all time.

#6042 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 May 2020 - 04:58 PM

View Postparan falcon, on 05 May 2020 - 04:45 PM, said:

View PostSlow Ben, on 05 May 2020 - 04:38 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 May 2020 - 12:35 PM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 05 May 2020 - 12:28 PM, said:

Love After Life, great show. I know there are some Ricky Gervais haters out here, but it really is worth a watch.

Even if a person disliked his comedy, I find that this show showcases his absolutely STELLAR writing and flare for drama I didn't know he had in him. It's such a rewarding watch.

100%

I've got the season 2 finale to watch tonight and I've wrapped it up.

Excellent show.

Between this and the Detectorists, apparently o like British comedy. Any recommendations from you all?

Monty Python and the Holy Grail? My personal favorite comedy of all time.

LIFE OF BRIAN as well
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6043 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 05 May 2020 - 05:02 PM

Blackadder, Black Books, IT Crowd, Red Dwarf.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6044 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 May 2020 - 05:05 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 22 April 2020 - 04:17 AM, said:

There is still beauty and light. This is the hero we need to lead us to a brave new world when things return to normal. THIS should be the new normal.

TONIGHT!

Episode 1

"The Ultimatum" - After her moose turd video goes viral, Mary quits her job to focus full time on making Tirdy Works a viable business; faced with an ulimatum by her partner Deb, Mary must make the business profitable by winter's end or agree to throw in the towel.

#6045 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 May 2020 - 09:18 PM

British political comedy - Yes Prime/Minister and The Thick of it.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#6046 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 06 May 2020 - 03:40 PM

I've got a good list now. Thanks all.

Gonna start with IT Crowd, cause i've always enjoyed Chris O'Dowd.

And for the love of pete, i've seen Monty Python and Life of Brian. What kind of savage do you think i am?
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#6047 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 May 2020 - 03:58 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 06 May 2020 - 03:40 PM, said:

Gonna start with IT Crowd, cause i've always enjoyed Chris O'Dowd.

Oh my gods, you're in for a TREAT!

IT CROWD is one of my all time fave shows, ever. The first episode or two are a bit stumbly as the show finds its feet and who everyone is...but after that it's glorious through all 4 seasons and the special from 2013.

Best episodes are S2E01 - THE WORK OUTING and S2E04 - THE DINNER PARTY. Those two episodes never fail to make me howl with laughter. There is a gag that is set up throughout WORK OUTING that comes to fruition late in the episode better than any other comedy setup in a half hour comedy show I've ever seen.

For Tiste: "Ploppers"

-----

Sidebar, if you can find COUPLING (UK version, they tried to remake it in the US and it failed hard) as well, the first 3 seasons of that are stunningly hilarious comedy too.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 06 May 2020 - 03:59 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6048 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 May 2020 - 04:08 PM

Oh gods! The IT Crowd is the bees knees. Do not sip your favorite beverage while viewing, you'll be in that awkward zone, many times, of liquid shooting out your nose due to uncontrollable laughter.

#6049 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 06 May 2020 - 04:16 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 May 2020 - 03:58 PM, said:

To this day one of the times I've laughed the hardest at a single line.

The IT Crowd is phenomenal. "I came here to play countdown and drink milk. And I've just finished my milk."
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6050 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 May 2020 - 04:33 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 06 May 2020 - 04:16 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 May 2020 - 03:58 PM, said:

To this day one of the times I've laughed the hardest at a single line.

The IT Crowd is phenomenal. "I came here to play countdown and drink milk. And I've just finished my milk."

Right? Such a great show.

"Dear sir (stroke) Madam, Fire. Exclamation point. Fire. Exclamation point. Sincerely Maurice Moss."

#6051 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 06 May 2020 - 05:06 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 06 May 2020 - 03:40 PM, said:

And for the love of pete, i've seen Monty Python and Life of Brian. What kind of savage do you think i am?

Sorry! But I know tons of people who've never even heard of, let alone seen, either. So when I see/hear someone say they seem to appreciate British humor, I'm going to lobby for my fav.

#6052 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 May 2020 - 05:52 PM

Is there a better comedic duo then Roy and Maurice on the IT Crowd? You can probably go back a long way and name a duo, but damn, you'd be hard pressed to name a duo as funny as them when looking only 20,30 years back. Also Denholm Reynholm didn't even need to say anything, just walking onto a scene or appearing in a scene got me to laughing.

#6053 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 May 2020 - 01:04 PM

Been watching Albert Lin's Nat Geo stuff on D+ and its REALLY solidly fantastic! He's a super compelling host, and the shows are done in an absolutely gorgeously produced way.

Watching the episode where he tries to put science and archeology to the Biblical story of Exodus....and goddamit if he didn't do it. Little things like the "Red Sea" being a mistranslation from "Reed Sea", and a place called Lake Manzala being the actual crossing place...a lake with evidence of wind shifting the water out of the lake...and instead of the Israelites going all the way south and crossing the 30miles (impossible) across Red Sea...they took a direct route long the Mediterranean and crossed a lake that disappeared under strong winds...and lake returning after the wind stopped and possibly destroying Pharoah's forces.

I'm not religious. Like not even a little bit, but I think there is tonnes of real history in the bible just obscured behind embellishment, legends, and mistranslation/misunderstanding.

Anyways, his normal show is just "lost cities", but the bible one is worth watching as it's its own special.

Really getting a kick out of the Nat Geo category on D+...the kids love the animal/nature stuff there too.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 07 May 2020 - 01:50 PM

#6054 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 May 2020 - 06:49 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 05 May 2020 - 05:05 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 22 April 2020 - 04:17 AM, said:

There is still beauty and light. This is the hero we need to lead us to a brave new world when things return to normal. THIS should be the new normal.

TONIGHT!

Episode 1

"The Ultimatum" - After her moose turd video goes viral, Mary quits her job to focus full time on making Tirdy Works a viable business; faced with an ulimatum by her partner Deb, Mary must make the business profitable by winter's end or agree to throw in the towel.

Did it turn out to be the shit or just shit?

#6055 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 May 2020 - 10:58 PM

View PostAbyss, on 23 April 2020 - 02:55 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 April 2020 - 03:38 AM, said:

OUTER BANKS on Netflix. Fuck me...binged it in two days. FANTASTIC show. Starts out like Dawson’s Creek meets Clive Cussler, and then goes utterly batshit insane and entirely unpredictable in the best ways around episode 4 or 5...soooo good.

Just a blast. Can’t wait for season 2!

Just glanced at an ad and it looks like they gave DAWSON the RIVERDALE treatment.

Can't quite give it full marks for unpredictable, but 8 eps in and it IS fun coming off HOMELAND and WESTWORLD heaviness. Tnx for the reco.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6056 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 May 2020 - 03:35 AM

I can acknowledge the acting is uneven, and the romantic subplots have near zero chemistry early on. Also the idea that the main cast are supposed to be 16-17 is ludicrous. The underlying mystery/treasure hunt is fun enough tho.

Call it NATIONAL TREASURE with a few shakes of RIVERDALE. Maybe BLOODLINE JR.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6057 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 May 2020 - 01:51 PM

Its been mentioned before, but now that we are in 8 episodes in, The Last Dance is sublime. You don't have to be a basketball or sports fan for it to resonate either.

#6058 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 11 May 2020 - 02:10 PM

View PostGorefest, on 05 May 2020 - 05:02 PM, said:

Blackadder, Black Books, IT Crowd, Red Dwarf.

To add, going forward: Coupling, Peep Show, Spaced, Outnumbered, the Young Ones, Bottom, Keeping up appearances, the vicar of Dibley.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6059 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 May 2020 - 03:12 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 11 May 2020 - 01:51 PM, said:

Its been mentioned before, but now that we are in 8 episodes in, The Last Dance is sublime. You don't have to be a basketball or sports fan for it to resonate either.

I just watched the first episode this morning.

Basketball isn't popular in Denmark so it's interesting to see how big the Chicago Bulls were in the 90s. Now a days, from what you hear on the internet, Jordan seems like an asshole, but he was a rockstar back then. It's pretty wild to hear that many people unanimously praising the guy.

#6060 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 May 2020 - 05:29 PM

View PostAptorian, on 11 May 2020 - 03:12 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 11 May 2020 - 01:51 PM, said:

I just watched the first episode this morning.

Basketball isn't popular in Denmark so it's interesting to see how big the Chicago Bulls were in the 90s. Now a days, from what you hear on the internet, Jordan seems like an asshole, but he was a rockstar back then. It's pretty wild to hear that many people unanimously praising the guy.

It's a great examination of all that. He truly was a global icon. When he signed with Nike and the Air Jordans took off it was undeniable. MJ's agent came up with the name 'Air Jordans' (info I was unaware of that is revealed in the doc). Then when the Dream Team was assembled for the '92 Olympics, the global saturation of the Jordan brand was complete.

Be looking out for the Dennis Rodman examination. The team agreed to let him have a 48hr vacation to Las Vegas because Rodman needed a break. Suffice it to say, MJ had to go find him when he didn't show up for practice. Rodman captured a moment there in the 90s and had the world by the balls.

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users