• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#4181 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:02 AM

I finished Everything Sucks last night, btw, and liked it less and less the further I got. It isn't the kids' faults since like I said, most of them are quite good. There are moments that pop, but by and large the writing is just lousy.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4182 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:35 AM

View Postworry, on 07 March 2018 - 04:02 AM, said:

I finished Everything Sucks last night, btw, and liked it less and less the further I got. It isn't the kids' faults since like I said, most of them are quite good. There are moments that pop, but by and large the writing is just lousy.

So not everything sucks?

EDIT:
I note the suspicious absence of BK.

Is he still in the intensive care ward after the Bachelor finale's shenanigans? :(

:)

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 07 March 2018 - 09:17 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#4183 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:51 PM

View PostNicodimas, on 06 March 2018 - 11:12 PM, said:

Woot!!

Lost in Space!

Count me in

https://www.google.c...r/%3fformat=amp

Me too.

#4184 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:16 PM

I can't believe BK hasn't posted about the Bachelor finale yet. Even I was pretty shocked and enthralled by it. I certainly didn't anticipate *THAT* happening!!!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4185 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:23 AM

Did he break your heart too?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4186 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:23 AM

The wife says we're starting The Handmaids Tale tonight. We'll see how it goes.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#4187 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:13 AM

View PostThe Swampfather, on 10 March 2018 - 01:41 AM, said:

I really failed y'all I know and if any eps needed the play by plays it was those...

It is a good thing then that none of them needed it.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#4188 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:49 AM

View PostGorefest, on 10 March 2018 - 08:13 AM, said:

View PostThe Swampfather, on 10 March 2018 - 01:41 AM, said:

I really failed y'all I know and if any eps needed the play by plays it was those...

It is a good thing then that none of them needed it.

Ouch. Brutal.

But true.

Not that I minded the play-by-play, it's fun imagining BK sitting in his lounge room watching the Bachelor and behaving like a giddy school girl. :)
Yeah OK I realise how that sounds but I meant the non-kinky interpretation. :D

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 10 March 2018 - 09:57 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#4189 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:37 PM

Can't we just ban BK until...

Oh wait is it over?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4190 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:03 PM

At least with British reality bollocks they have a sense of embarrassment and irony. American reality contestants actually take themselves seriously (or it might just be the way things get edited and music-scored), which makes the whole experience even more cringeworthy.

Then again, who am I to talk, I watch WWE.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#4191 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 11 March 2018 - 01:07 AM

Now THIS version of the Bachelor might be watchable:

http://www.news.com....770ef4fd6795174

Honey Badger Nick Cummins is reportedly the next Bachelor
HOLY tomorrow. Bloody, you beauty. A larrikin rugby star with the wits to match his ripped bod is reportedly the next Bachelor.

'Aussie News Today' featuring the 'Honey Badger'

THE powers that be at Channel 10 clearly found a winner when they cast Sophie Monk as last year’s Bachelorette. She was gorgeous, already had a public profile and could crack a mean joke under pressure.

Now Ten may have pulled off another coup for the next season of The Bachelor.

According to reports in Woman’s Day and the Daily Telegraph, former Wallabies star Nick “Honey Badger” Cummins is set to fill the role this year as the network seeks to continue its winning formula.

“He’s going to be great for the franchise. Funny, witty, with a huge cult following. This is a stroke of genius for the network,” a source told Woman’s Day.

The 30-year-old’s notorious Aussie larrikin personality has proven to be a winner on the footy field, and turned him into the face of Tradie underwear, The Iconic clothing brand, Head and Shoulders and Tourism Australia.

In fact, given his achievements on the field, it is remarkable how much Cummins’ forceful personality has overshadowed the rest of his career.

The uninitiated among you are probably wondering where that nickname, the Honey Badger, comes from. We couldn’t explain it any better than he did himself a few years ago.

“There was a documentary on National Geographic or Animal Planet, one of them Fox bloody setups. Yeah, I watched this thing and this honey badger was going toe to toe with a male lion. And um, he was underneath him — underdog, obviously — on his back, clawing away, one two and then bloody, the big fella got his canastas clawed off and he trod off round the corner and fell over, and the badger gets back up and I thought, what an animal. You know, that’s bloody ... that’s impressive.”

Cummins talks like that all the time. Where most of us would say “great”, he says: “Holy tomorrow. How good? Bloody, you beauty.” It’s obviously going to make for fabulous television.

RELATED: Translating the Honey Badger’s weird quotes - http://www.news.com....be248c617150c8f

While past series of The Bachelor have had a decent progression of viewer ratings in their season openers, none have quite hit the ball out of the park. Perhaps this is because Aussie viewers and single women alike want more than just a dull bloke with a pretty face and no personality churning through the group dates and rose ceremonies each night.

The first season of The Bachelor, with Tim Robards, launched to 669,000. Season two with Blake Garvey, launched to 692,000. The third season, with Sam Wood, began on 846,000. Season four, with Richie Strahan, hit 882,000 and last year’s season with Matty Johnson began on 846,000.

By contrast last year’s premiere episode of the Bachelorette saw Sophie Monk draw in 1.22 million people.

In fact you could even use one of the Badger’s hilarious, honest quotes to describe the sometimes lacklustre ratings of previous years: “We were all sizzle and no steak, but now we’re off like a bride’s nightie.”

With the Port Macquarie born Cummins working his charms on this year’s lucky ladies, it is a fair bet that Channel Ten will have another ratings winner on their hands.

-----------------------------------------

An article about him and a few others doing things for Tourism Australia:

https://www.escape.c...770a-1520730785

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 11 March 2018 - 01:15 AM

#4192 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:35 PM

Genuine question to everybody here -

What is the show The Office all about? I saw 2 episodes recently, I was told it was a comedy, but the humour seemed to really depend on awkwardness and cringeworthy scenes. Yet it was apparently very popular? I mean a lot of the behaviour seemed to very OTT and artificial. The general vibe I got was "trying too hard"

#4193 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:55 PM

View PostAndorion, on 11 March 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

What is the show The Office all about? I saw 2 episodes recently, I was told it was a comedy, but the humour seemed to really depend on awkwardness and cringeworthy scenes. Yet it was apparently very popular? I mean a lot of the behaviour seemed to very OTT and artificial. The general vibe I got was "trying too hard"

Yep, it’s awkward-humor. The British one is more cringe-humour than the US remake, which developed quite some heart later on after s1.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4194 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 11 March 2018 - 01:47 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 March 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

Yep, it's awkward-humor. The British one is more cringe-humour than the US remake, which developed quite some heart later on after s1.

From what I have seen, its really not for me. I guess cringe humour just isn't my thing.

Any shows I should be looking at? As long as it isn't postapocalyptic, and is not prison centric, I can watch it.

I have liked/loved - House, Sherlock, Agents of SHIELD, and the usual comedies like Two and a Half Men, Friends, How I Met Your Mother etc. Also I loved older British comedies like Yes Minister, Yes Prime Minister and the IT Crowd.

I never finished Lost and Breaking Bad.

#4195 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:05 PM

View PostAndorion, on 11 March 2018 - 01:47 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 March 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

Yep, it's awkward-humor. The British one is more cringe-humour than the US remake, which developed quite some heart later on after s1.

From what I have seen, its really not for me. I guess cringe humour just isn't my thing.

Any shows I should be looking at? As long as it isn't postapocalyptic, and is not prison centric, I can watch it.

I have liked/loved - House, Sherlock, Agents of SHIELD, and the usual comedies like Two and a Half Men, Friends, How I Met Your Mother etc. Also I loved older British comedies like Yes Minister, Yes Prime Minister and the IT Crowd.

I never finished Lost and Breaking Bad.

RIVERDALE is good, so is COLLATERAL. LUTHER, HARD SUN...BOBS BURGERS is amazing
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4196 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:27 PM

High Maintenance is so worth watching.

#4197 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:05 PM

The office is amazing. While I agree the first season is mostly cringe from Michael, seasons 2 and 3 are some of the best television ever. And the others are good as well.

The writing and content is superb, and head and shoulders above most other comedies.

Once they work through Michael Scott in season 1, he settles into one of the greatest fictional characters of all time. There is no other character like him.

Ditto for Dwight K. Schrute.

I'm not gonna go on, but IMO the Office is one of the best comedies ever, its a toss up between it and Parks and Rec for my favorite.

Bears beets Battlestar
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#4198 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:39 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 11 March 2018 - 05:27 PM, said:

Love High Maintenance.

There's always something in each episode that will make stoners watching the show to go "whoa dude, like far out man". The Benjamin Buttons freak out for example. And the drag queen/dancer dressed in space out silver who is a doctor who saved the choking Hasidic Jewish guy by performing an emergency tracheotomy. Oh, and the episode where everyone was mulling over a devastating event (like 9/11 or something) but is never revealed what that event was, but it doesn't take much to piece together it was the election of Donald Trump.

#4199 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:04 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 11 March 2018 - 06:39 PM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 11 March 2018 - 05:27 PM, said:

Love High Maintenance.

There's always something in each episode that will make stoners watching the show to go "whoa dude, like far out man". The Benjamin Buttons freak out for example. And the drag queen/dancer dressed in space out silver who is a doctor who saved the choking Hasidic Jewish guy by performing an emergency tracheotomy. Oh, and the episode where everyone was mulling over a devastating event (like 9/11 or something) but is never revealed what that event was, but it doesn't take much to piece together it was the election of Donald Trump.

The scene with the tracheotomy tripped me out — yes, I was quite stoned. And the Donal Trump episode has such a major impact on me. As you said, I initially thought it was about 9/11.

#4200 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:39 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 11 March 2018 - 06:05 PM, said:

Bears beets Battlestar

MICHAEL!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.