• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#3901 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

Briar King, on 05 December 2017 - 03:42 AM, said:

I'm on the fence about this. Anyone watching it?

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=mMUiRYoc76A

We are considering this one when we finish with Battlestar Galactica, which we DVR'd when ScyFy ran a marathon a bit ago. I have no idea how we were not aware of BSG when it initially aired but I am enjoying it more than I thought I would when my wife and I watched the intro miniseries and first few eps of S1 a couple years ago. We're past the halfway point of S2 now and its quite good, actually. My daughter loves it. My wife and I are old enough to just barely remember the original series with very little detail. I don't know if it was in reruns by then but it would've been no later than '76, '77, '78. Amusing that Richard Hatch got a sizeable role in the 2000s version. Does Dirk Benedict ever show up?

#3902 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:20 PM

paran falcon, on 05 December 2017 - 04:20 PM, said:

acesn8s, on 05 December 2017 - 03:02 PM, said:

I'll be watching it once I finish with Longmire.

Speaking of Longmire, we finished the final season a week or so ago. They did a pretty nice job of wrapping the show up satisfactorily. The season as a whole was pretty good, nothing that bothered me too much. The only comments I have are (SPOILERS THROUGH THE FINAL EPISODE)
Spoiler

We will miss this show, much like we did (and still do) miss Justified. The settings alone would've kept me watching Longmire

I've been slowly watching Justified with my mom whenever we hang out. We just finished S3 last night.

But, yo Raylan, I really like you and imma let you finish, but Boyd is the best character of all time on the show. OF ALL TIME ON THE SHOW.

#3903 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

Started watching bleak UK (Yorkshire) police drama, Happy Valley. The name is a LIE! It is brilliant though.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#3904 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:43 PM

Holy crap! I just checked my cable box programming grid and the first episode of Counterpart airs tonight on Starz. I thought it was supposed to start later next month. Maybe this is just a "teaser" for when the show begins to air regularly? (it doesn't show as continuing with episode 2 next week)

#3905 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:55 PM

I watched the first ep of Happy, the new SyFy show. Chris Meloni is an ex-cop turned hitman w/ multiple health, addiction, and psychological issues. And just as he gets himself into a serious predicament, he starts seeing the imaginary friend of a (real) young girl, who needs his help. That imaginary friend is the titlular Happy, a flying blue cgi unicorn voiced by Patton Oswalt.

I don't know if it was good, or if it even made sense, but it was definitely weird and pretty bold for a pilot. It's tasteless in both good and bad ways, like if Troma somehow got a tv show on a mainstream network.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3906 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:06 AM

worry, on 10 December 2017 - 11:55 PM, said:

I watched the first ep of Happy, the new SyFy show. Chris Meloni is an ex-cop turned hitman w/ multiple health, addiction, and psychological issues. And just as he gets himself into a serious predicament, he starts seeing the imaginary friend of a (real) young girl, who needs his help. That imaginary friend is the titlular Happy, a flying blue cgi unicorn voiced by Patton Oswalt.

I don't know if it was good, or if it even made sense, but it was definitely weird and pretty bold for a pilot. It's tasteless in both good and bad ways, like if Troma somehow got a tv show on a mainstream network.

I watched this the other night and wondered if anyone else would. I agree, it is out there. Easy to tell that the source material is a graphic novel. I didn't love it or hate it. It may be just interesting enough to try another ep or 2 to see where it tries to go.

#3907 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:38 PM

Finished Godless. First six episodes are quite good. Seventh (and final) episode kinda whiffs on the climax. It's a bit glib, there aren't enough noteworthy deaths (in terms of staging/choreography), and it doesn't really resonate thematically. The final episode is 80 minutes and still has lots of good stuff, it just kinda gets lost in a mediocre climax.

#3908 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:19 PM

Watched a couple of episodes of Orville.

Not terrible. Not particularly funny or clever either. Just seems like an off-brand Star Trek. That's not a bad thing. I haven't watched a Start Trek show in... 15 years? So I guess I'm actually interested.

Just how generic it is bothers me a little bit though. This is a form of spoof of Star Trek but I think that is too little, too late in 2017. The show is highly anachronistic in a way TNG and it's spin-off's didn't feel like in 90s.

The carbon copy of The Enterprises command structure is even less believable today. The technology seems outdated now. Their protocols seem sloppy. The action lacks new thinking.

And yet, the two stories I have watched so far were entertaining. I feel like they have to turn the humor/satire up heavily though if they're going to deserve a second season.

#3909 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:46 PM

Alternative Goose, on 17 December 2017 - 08:19 PM, said:

Not terrible. Not particularly funny or clever either. Just seems like an off-brand Star Trek. That's not a bad thing. I haven't watched a Start Trek show in... 15 years? So I guess I'm actually interested.

Just how generic it is bothers me a little bit though. This is a form of spoof of Star Trek but I think that is too little, too late in 2017. The show is highly anachronistic in a way TNG and it's spin-off's didn't feel like in 90s.

The carbon copy of The Enterprises command structure is even less believable today. The technology seems outdated now. Their protocols seem sloppy. The action lacks new thinking.

And yet, the two stories I have watched so far were entertaining. I feel like they have to turn the humor/satire up heavily though if they're going to deserve a second season.

The show settles into what it is by mid-season (you're right, it's off-brand TNG)...and it was given a second season order by Fox at that point already. They don't turn the humour/satire up at all in fact, they dial it back a bit. Whats' great about that though is that the humour is not some Utopian ideal of "What's funny". It's more what we as humans now might evolve into by then....and our laughing at stupid stuff would not cease.

It's basically a balm to anyone who hates ST: DISCOVERY, and was looking for something more like Star Trek.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3910 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:54 PM

Briar King, on 19 December 2017 - 07:37 PM, said:

Speaking of Orville I’m on DS9 S3 Ep 23 and in the previous episode Jake was trying to set his dad up with a freighter captain. Turns out she is the Orville Dr! Man she looks great in this.

Yeah, when I initially looked her up I realized that's who she was too! Great stuff!

And yeah, she's a smokeshow.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3911 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 December 2017 - 03:15 AM

When the aliens wipe us all out because we have no redeeming value as a planet, it will be your fault.

Probably QT's too, actually.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3912 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 22 December 2017 - 02:26 PM

Briar King, on 22 December 2017 - 02:14 AM, said:

Toats ma goats to Abyss. I have WONDERFUL NEWS.

Spoiler

Yeah buddy! Soooo happy!

I'm starting to wonder if I should be concerned for you?

#3913 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 December 2017 - 03:59 PM

QuickTidal, on 19 December 2017 - 06:46 PM, said:

The show settles into what it is by mid-season (you're right, it's off-brand TNG)...and it was given a second season order by Fox at that point already. They don't turn the humour/satire up at all in fact, they dial it back a bit. Whats' great about that though is that the humour is not some Utopian ideal of "What's funny". It's more what we as humans now might evolve into by then....and our laughing at stupid stuff would not cease.

It's basically a balm to anyone who hates ST: DISCOVERY, and was looking for something more like Star Trek.

I can agree that their call backs to old Earth humor, like reality TV, is funny but in general I think the show is a mess.

I'm 8 episodes in and I don't understand who okay'd these scripts. The premise of each episode is a quirky take on old Star Trek stories but then there's no follow through. They just go by the numbers with the occasional, meant to be funny, modern observation or unexpected action/reaction, like when faced with an evil alien captain they distract him by talking about their love life or some such. It's not clever or funny. It's like the script has blank spaces where the writing team were supposed to come up with some great material and then they just chose to play it straight.

It's the equivelant of watching Brooklyn 99, with out satire.

The show needs to figure out if it wants to be funny or serious and then actually commit to it.

One of the latest episodes I watched was them visiting an (unbelievably) similar version of 21st century Earth, where it's a total democracy, where everybody and everything is upvoted or downvoted and nobody cares about facts, just public opinion. This (awful character) navigator on the team, acts completely idiotic, gets in trouble... and then they just play it straight. They don't play with the notion of an away team filled with idiots. They play it like "oops we did a cultural faux pas, lets take this seriously"... but it doesn't work, because this idiotic navigator character is an insufferable idiot that you could never believe would actually have the job he positions.

Got I hope they Natasha Yar him before the season is over.

#3914 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 December 2017 - 04:12 PM

Alternative Goose, on 22 December 2017 - 03:59 PM, said:

QuickTidal, on 19 December 2017 - 06:46 PM, said:

I can agree that their call backs to old Earth humor, like reality TV, is funny but in general I think the show is a mess.

I'm 8 episodes in and I don't understand who okay'd these scripts. The premise of each episode is a quirky take on old Star Trek stories but then there's no follow through. They just go by the numbers with the occasional, meant to be funny, modern observation or unexpected action/reaction, like when faced with an evil alien captain they distract him by talking about their love life or some such. It's not clever or funny. It's like the script has blank spaces where the writing team were supposed to come up with some great material and then they just chose to play it straight.

It's the equivelant of watching Brooklyn 99, with out satire.

The show needs to figure out if it wants to be funny or serious and then actually commit to it.

One of the latest episodes I watched was them visiting an (unbelievably) similar version of 21st century Earth, where it's a total democracy, where everybody and everything is upvoted or downvoted and nobody cares about facts, just public opinion. This (awful character) navigator on the team, acts completely idiotic, gets in trouble... and then they just play it straight. They don't play with the notion of an away team filled with idiots. They play it like "oops we did a cultural faux pas, lets take this seriously"... but it doesn't work, because this idiotic navigator character is an insufferable idiot that you could never believe would actually have the job he positions.

Got I hope they Natasha Yar him before the season is over.

LeMarr? He's one of the best characters, and they make him Chief Engineer, so methinks you won't get your wish.

And be aware that Brannon Braga, who was heavily involved in ST: TNG is partially behind this show...but I think largely, if you go back and watch some S1 ST: TNG eps, see if you can't level all the same issues you're stating here at it.

Eps like KRILL are shining brilliance that even ST: TNG didn't hit in it's first TWO seasons.

But yeah, perhaps this ain't for you? All the things you seem to dislike, are the reasons it's succeeding with viewers.

#3915 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 December 2017 - 04:26 PM

QuickTidal, on 22 December 2017 - 04:12 PM, said:

LeMarr? He's one of the best characters, and they make him Chief Engineer, so methinks you won't get your wish.

Noooo! How is he one of the best characters? He's a stereotypical dumb Afro-American "brother". He's about as likeable as herpes.

QuickTidal, on 22 December 2017 - 04:12 PM, said:

Eps like KRILL are shining brilliance that even ST: TNG didn't hit in it's first TWO seasons.

But yeah, perhaps this ain't for you? All the things you seem to dislike, are the reasons it's succeeding with viewers.

Calling the Krill episode brilliance is beyond me. It's an unbelievable premise. Untrained, unqualified officers sent on a spy mission? Again, that's not a serious episode but it's not funny either.

The show actually reminds me of Stargate SG1. But the brilliance of Stargate was that the humor that show had was when they played the characters straight in a funny situation. In Orville they have taken "funny" characters and put them in a serious situation and I just don't feel like they earn it.

#3916 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:06 PM

I guess I'm behind on the news, but I was scrolling through Netflix and Sense8 came up and it had a little message that said Finale coming in 2018! So it looks like there will be a conclusion after all. I was a little too sad to watch Season 2 (aside from the Xmas special which was great) but now I'll definitely pick it back up.

In other news, it appears What We Do In the Shadows is getting a TV spinoff as well as the movie sequel. It's gonna be a Cops/Reno 911 type show w/ the cops from the movie, with the supernatural twist.

#3917 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:56 AM

worry, on 28 December 2017 - 10:06 PM, said:

I guess I'm behind on the news, but I was scrolling through Netflix and Sense8 came up and it had a little message that said Finale coming in 2018! So it looks like there will be a conclusion after all. I was a little too sad to watch Season 2 (aside from the Xmas special which was great) but now I'll definitely pick it back up.

In other news, it appears What We Do In the Shadows is getting a TV spinoff as well as the movie sequel. It's gonna be a Cops/Reno 911 type show w/ the cops from the movie, with the supernatural twist.

Bad vamps, bad vamps, what you gonna do ... ?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#3918 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:38 PM

Season four of Black Mirror on Netflix. I cannot believe how good this series is. Charlie Brooker is a bloody genius.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#3919 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:04 PM

The wife has me watching The Good Place on Netflix. Quirky, pretty funny. Plus Kristen Bell and Ted Danson. I'm enjoying it so far.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#3920 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:04 PM

OH! And Peaky Fucking Blinders season 4 is on Netflix!
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

Share this topic:

• 390 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

70 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 70 guests, 0 anonymous users