• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#8041 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 September 2020 - 02:16 AM

Re-watching Letterkenny.

Itís just as fucking funny the second time around.

Wish you werenít so awkward bud...
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#8042 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 09 September 2020 - 02:23 AM

You were hangin out on Malazan Empire the other dayyyyyyy

#8043 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• Make the Empire Great Again

Posted 09 September 2020 - 08:48 AM

Yeah, sorry but I tried a couple of episodes and it just left me bored and wondering what the fuss was.
I felt the same about Seinfeld, Arrested Development and Curb Your Enthusiasm, so I guess there's a trend somewhere.

Yet I loved Blackadder, The Good Place, Yes (Prime) Minister and all sorts of other stuff so ... NFI. :unsure:

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 09 September 2020 - 08:49 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesnít work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#8044 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 09 September 2020 - 11:09 AM

You are spare parts arenít ya bud?

#8045 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Sith Beatdowns

Posted 09 September 2020 - 01:40 PM

STAR TREK LOWER DECKS is really good. It's scratching a totally different itch than I would normally wish from a Trek show, but that's not a bad thing. It's a light, and fun with the pastiche of TNG and the writing of like Rick & Morty.

Well worth a Trek fan's time.

It very much seems like all the different Trek shows are attempting/doing different things as TV.

DISCO: A show that really is about discovery, but with the newest edge of technology.
PICARD: A nostalgia show that bends the lens of what the Federation is around events that test and try it.
LOWER DECKS: Light, and fun with the pastiche of TNG and the writing of like Rick & Morty.
Forthcoming STRANGE NEW WORLDS: Seems like it will be classic Trek exploration with Pike and Spock and company giving us a real Pre-Kirk show.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

#8046 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• God

Posted 09 September 2020 - 03:34 PM

Watched the HBO documentary series McMillions.

Six, hour-long episodes. Well done and worth checking out. It is about the scam that the FBI busted associated to the McDonald's Monopoly game promotion that McDonalds used to run starting in the late 1980s through early 2000s (I vaguely remember it). It's a fascinating look into the whole deal surrounding the scam. One of the big take aways is white color crime isn't so innocuous. I don't think, with today's technology, a scam like this could happen, but who knows.

#8047 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 11 September 2020 - 07:24 PM

Nearing the halfway point in IT'S OKAY TO NOT BE OKAY (K-Drama) and it's absolutely wonderful and quite riveting. It dives into the world of mental health, and care workers without feeling like it's pandering or exploiting. Add in a touch of romance, and a touch of Tim Burton and you have quite the recipe. Anyways, really enjoying, and Seo Ye-ji may have become by favroutie Korean actress. Her acting abilities are amazing.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

#8048 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 12 September 2020 - 08:04 PM

Anyone watching 'Staged'? Great bit of Covid-19 inspired viewing on Netflix. With David Tennant and Michael Sheen (Good Omens). Well worth a watch, with some awesome guest appearances as well.
She went and she left me like litter. She took all future summers with her. I lost all my money cuz I tried to bribe her. Now I can only afford an amateur sniper.

#8049 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 12 September 2020 - 10:09 PM

View PostGorefest, on 12 September 2020 - 08:04 PM, said:

Anyone watching 'Staged'? Great bit of Covid-19 inspired viewing on Netflix. With David Tennant and Michael Sheen (Good Omens). Well worth a watch, with some awesome guest appearances as well.

No. But Iím gonna now!

#8050 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 12 September 2020 - 10:27 PM

Watched ep 1 of Cobra Kai....holy shit that was epic. What a blast of nostalgia straight to the face. WOW.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#8051 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 13 September 2020 - 05:03 PM

View PostBriar King, on 12 September 2020 - 10:27 PM, said:

Watched ep 1 of Cobra Kai....holy shit that was epic. What a blast of nostalgia straight to the face. WOW.

I was pleasantly surprised by Cobra Kai as well. Good nostalgia for fans of the first movie, as you said. I liked the juxtaposition of the 2 guys from the karate match on; I hadn't expected that but thought it was well done. I've finished S1 and will get into S2 soon.

#8052 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 13 September 2020 - 05:20 PM

What I like about COBRA KAI is that it very much shows you that Johnny was a complete victim of circumstance not only in his home life, but under a total asshole like Kreese as a karate teacher. It helps him be the hero EVEN while we also have Daniel as a hero too.

The show treads the line of goodness between the cobra Kai dojo and the miyagi-do dojo style...

I also feel like (spoilers up to the end of season 2)

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 13 September 2020 - 05:21 PM

#8053 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 13 September 2020 - 06:43 PM

I have finished ep 7. The quality and LOVE they both bring is superb. Take note of how I stated that.

#8054 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• God

Posted 13 September 2020 - 09:11 PM

Watched the series Perry Mason on HBO. It has some cool film noir vibes, but overall it isn't all that captivating of a show. I'm not really keen on the story line with the religious cult aspect. It didn't really mesh well with overall aspect of the trial. There are some good performances from ‎Matthew Rhys (as Perry Mason) during the trial. And his side-kick / PI helper is excellent. As well as the African American police officer who has to make difficult (and right) decisions, at the peril of his family (setting is early 1930s California). Actress Tatiana Maslany's talent is wasted. Although I've never see her in anything, I heard that show were she takes on a bunch of different characters is supposed to be a tour de force. If Perry Mason continues a second season, not sure if I will watch.

#8055 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:17 PM

Finished Cobra Kai. I loved almost every bit of it. The last episode was a bit much but you couldnít really ask for a better follow up show then what we got here. Itís not mind blowing tv but it is utterly fantastic tv for original 70ís and 80ís kids.

#8056 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:15 PM

View PostBriar King, on 15 September 2020 - 07:17 PM, said:

Finished Cobra Kai. I loved almost every bit of it. The last episode was a bit much but you couldnít really ask for a better follow up show then what we got here. Itís not mind blowing tv but it is utterly fantastic tv for original 70ís and 80ís kids.

Season 3 is coming in 2021!

#8057 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• God

Posted 17 September 2020 - 05:20 AM

Holy crap! I just saw a commercial for an upcoming show on Netflix called "Ratched", and it looks unsettling and disturbing AF. Uh, it has to be based on the nurse from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, right?

Fun fact :: in high school I took a Psychology class in the 11th grade. Our teacher showed One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and then we had a discussion afterward. It was uncomfortable but interesting from what I recall. My teacher had an unsettling amount of knowledge about electro-shock therapy.

#8058 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 18 September 2020 - 11:44 AM

4 Part Limited series about the 1986 Challenger disaster is on Netflix.

It's called CHALLENGER: THE FINAL FLIGHT.

Watch all 4 parts. It's interesting because 4 big things have occurred in my life that I remember VIVIDLY, The Chernobyl disaster (also '86), 9/11, The Fall of the Berlin Wall ('91), and The Challenger Disaster ('86).

I remember the Challenger vividly becuase I was 9, and our school thought it was such a big deal that an American Teacher was going into space that they gathered us all in the auditorium and played the live launch footage for us...only for the accident to occur and traumatize the lot of us.

What I learned from the docuseries is that a perfect storm of events and delays made sure that the launch happened on a weekday so schools could broadcast it...it was supposed to go up on a Sunday.

The documentary doesn't shy away from NASA's responsibility for the O-ring fault and cover up attempt (which was revealed by badass nobel-winning physicist Richard Feynman of all people!)...the fact that they KNEW there were issues with the o-rings in the solid rocket boosters for YEARS and especially when cold temperatures hit (which they did the day of launch)...blows my mind. They literally manslaughter 7 people who didn't know that the Solid Rocket booster engineering company Morton Thiakol had a bunch of people TELLING them not to launch....and NASA did it anyways because the naysayers in the room could not GUARANTEE that the rocket boosters would explode...they just said they very well could (one of them said it would explode outright)...and NASA took that as a chance they would take.

Which is fucked up.

It's a very good series and I THOUGHT it would sing the praises of NASA, but it is VERY critical of the choices made by the men and women who sent her up knowing about the flaws.

EDIT: Oh and it should come as utterly no surprise that Reagan was part fo the cover up attempt by telling people not to "embarrass NASA"...

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 18 September 2020 - 12:03 PM

#8059 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 19 September 2020 - 01:46 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 September 2020 - 11:44 AM, said:

4 Part Limited series about the 1986 Challenger disaster is on Netflix.

It's called CHALLENGER: THE FINAL FLIGHT.

Watch all 4 parts. It's interesting because 4 big things have occurred in my life that I remember VIVIDLY, The Chernobyl disaster (also '86), 9/11, The Fall of the Berlin Wall ('91), and The Challenger Disaster ('86).

I remember the Challenger vividly becuase I was 9, and our school thought it was such a big deal that an American Teacher was going into space that they gathered us all in the auditorium and played the live launch footage for us...only for the accident to occur and traumatize the lot of us.

What I learned from the docuseries is that a perfect storm of events and delays made sure that the launch happened on a weekday so schools could broadcast it...it was supposed to go up on a Sunday.

The documentary doesn't shy away from NASA's responsibility for the O-ring fault and cover up attempt (which was revealed by badass nobel-winning physicist Richard Feynman of all people!)...the fact that they KNEW there were issues with the o-rings in the solid rocket boosters for YEARS and especially when cold temperatures hit (which they did the day of launch)...blows my mind. They literally manslaughter 7 people who didn't know that the Solid Rocket booster engineering company Morton Thiakol had a bunch of people TELLING them not to launch....and NASA did it anyways because the naysayers in the room could not GUARANTEE that the rocket boosters would explode...they just said they very well could (one of them said it would explode outright)...and NASA took that as a chance they would take.

Which is fucked up.

It's a very good series and I THOUGHT it would sing the praises of NASA, but it is VERY critical of the choices made by the men and women who sent her up knowing about the flaws.

EDIT: Oh and it should come as utterly no surprise that Reagan was part fo the cover up attempt by telling people not to "embarrass NASA"...

I'll have to watch that. Challenger is a vivid memory to me as well. I lived in Tampa at the time and was finishing my senior year of high school via homeschooling and also working at a "chicken" restaurant. I was at work when a customer came in and said he'd heard on the radio something had gone wrong with Challenger. Everyone in the place ran outside where we literally saw the smoke trails of parts of Challenger coming back down. While that was horrifying and shocking enough, it didn't really hit me until I got home and turned on the news and really remembered the individual lives lost. That hit like a gut punch all over again.

#8060 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 19 September 2020 - 02:16 AM

1st grade for me back in the days when every classroom didnít have a tv in it. Some few that were hooked up showed the launch cause of the teacher program and afterwards it was a mad dash to hook up as many TVs as possible. I was way to young really grasp what was going on even though I knew something bad just happened. I learned the feeling 1st hand why so many teachers were crying that day almost 20 yrs later as I saw Columbia breaking up across the sky as my own tears were falling.

Share this topic:

• 411 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users