• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#7621 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 November 2023 - 07:02 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 November 2023 - 06:02 PM, said:

Oh I am SO watching that! It looks phenomenal!

I guess a reread is in order now!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7622 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 November 2023 - 10:20 PM

You don't have time for a reread.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7623 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 02 November 2023 - 10:50 PM

View Postworry, on 02 November 2023 - 10:20 PM, said:

You don't have time for a reread.

Dang why you gotta own me like that? :(
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7624 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 November 2023 - 12:13 AM

Just lookin out for ya!

#7625 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 November 2023 - 04:52 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 02 November 2023 - 07:02 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 November 2023 - 06:02 PM, said:

Oh I am SO watching that! It looks phenomenal!

I guess a reread is in order now!

SOLD
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7626 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 03 November 2023 - 03:39 PM

Oh hells yes.

Plus I’ll watch anything with Sanada in it.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7627 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 November 2023 - 02:50 PM

The FRASIER revival is excellent. Initially missed Niles and Martin, but the people who fill out the sides near Frasier are VERY good at those roles, and his lushy, drunken English Oxford friend Alan is hilarious. Niles and Daphne's son David is also really funny, and Freddy plays a great foil for Frasier's tendencies filling in a bit for Martin while still being his own person who is not quite Martin.

It's probably the best of the revivals of older sitcoms I've seen so far by a VERY long stretch.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7628 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 06 November 2023 - 03:44 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 November 2023 - 02:50 PM, said:

his lushy, drunken English Oxford friend Alan is hilarious.

Nicholas Lyndhurst is comedy royalty. Haven't seen the reboot, but obviously he would immediately be the best part of it without a shadow of a doubt.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#7629 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 November 2023 - 03:48 PM

View PostGorefest, on 06 November 2023 - 03:44 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 November 2023 - 02:50 PM, said:

his lushy, drunken English Oxford friend Alan is hilarious.

Nicholas Lyndhurst is comedy royalty. Haven't seen the reboot, but obviously he would immediately be the best part of it without a shadow of a doubt.

Never seen him in anything before, but yeah he's a highlight of every episode.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7630 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 November 2023 - 12:44 PM

Watched the first ep of Scavengers Reign on HBO Max -- pretty trippy! It reminds me of the golden age of MTV animation, like Aeon Flux and The Maxx. Lots of ideas, many of them kinda surreal, not sure if they'll cohere in terms of storytelling.
Briefly, it's about a scattering of castaways on a weird and dangerous planet, who are also mostly separated from one another -- at least at this point.

#7631 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 November 2023 - 01:02 PM

View Postworry, on 07 November 2023 - 12:44 PM, said:

Watched the first ep of Scavengers Reign on HBO Max -- pretty trippy! It reminds me of the golden age of MTV animation, like Aeon Flux and The Maxx. Lots of ideas, many of them kinda surreal, not sure if they'll cohere in terms of storytelling.
Briefly, it's about a scattering of castaways on a weird and dangerous planet, who are also mostly separated from one another -- at least at this point.

The animation looks uniquely wonderful...like hearkening back to early Miyazaki (namely Nausicaa), with a layer of French 1970's layered overtop.

#7632 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 November 2023 - 02:08 PM

I can see that. I don't know much about 1970s French animation -- I've seen Fantastic Planet, and that's about it -- but it's definitely drawing from Sci-fi surrealism. I wonder, did Canada get a whole bunch of French cartoons that are just mainstream kid canon for you that skipped the U.S.?

#7633 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 November 2023 - 02:32 PM

View Postworry, on 07 November 2023 - 02:08 PM, said:

I can see that. I don't know much about 1970s French animation -- I've seen Fantastic Planet, and that's about it -- but it's definitely drawing from Sci-fi surrealism. I wonder, did Canada get a whole bunch of French cartoons that are just mainstream kid canon for you that skipped the U.S.?

We got some French content due to Quebec....like on Sundays they ran the Smurfs....but it was Les Schromfs. LOL

I don' recall what else we got, but definitely some France-based stuff ran in Quebec.

#7634 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 November 2023 - 03:26 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 November 2023 - 02:32 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 07 November 2023 - 02:08 PM, said:

We got some French content due to Quebec....like on Sundays they ran the Smurfs....but it was Les Schromfs. LOL

I don' recall what else we got, but definitely some France-based stuff ran in Quebec.

Quebec's local channels got a metric tonne of Japanese to French translated anime in the 70/80s. You never knew when it would be on and it was usually out of order, but i as a kid watched Captain Harlock, Gatchaman (Battle of the Planets), Mazinger Z that i could identify and a bunch of stuff i randomly recognize. I watch Galaxy Express 999 for the 'first' time a few years ago and freaked rtf out at the flashbacks to something i had watched but didn't remember. Some Ontario cities near the border w Quebec, Ottawa etc, would have had access. Most of Ontario didn't have those channels but a few channels did carry some French content and would have shown a subset of the already small selection we got in Quebec.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7635 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 07 November 2023 - 04:52 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 November 2023 - 03:48 PM, said:

Posted Image You've never seen Only Fools and Horses? Doesn't get more quintessentially British than that.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#7636 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 November 2023 - 04:56 PM

View PostGorefest, on 07 November 2023 - 04:52 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 November 2023 - 03:48 PM, said:

Posted Image You've never seen Only Fools and Horses? Doesn't get more quintessentially British than that.

I have not. I'll throw it on the list!

#7637 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 08 November 2023 - 11:14 AM

Thank you very much, don't mind if I do ...

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7638 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 08 November 2023 - 11:27 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 November 2023 - 04:56 PM, said:

I have not. I'll throw it on the list!

Well, I'm not saying it is great, but it definitely is classic. One of the most famous and well-loved UK sitcoms of all time. With David Jason is the lead role.

#7639 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 November 2023 - 05:34 PM

For the past six months, it’s been difficult to budge Rebecca Yarros’ Fourth Wing off the top of the New York Times bestseller list. Well, this week, a new title finally will: Iron Flame, Yarros’ sequel [...] Amazon has just announced plans to adapt Fourth Wing as a streaming series[...]

[...] Yarros’ system owes more to the long tradition of dragon-rider fantasy series by such authors as Cressida Cowell, Anne McCaffrey, and Naomi Novik. As is often the case with fictional dragons, the ones in Fourth Wing can communicate telepathically with humans, specifically their bonded riders, and because Violet’s and Xaden’s dragons are mated, the two human characters can speak in each other’s minds as well. This makes it easier for the couple to keep up the constant stream of sarcastic wisecracks [...]

[...] Seemingly every single sentence [...] includes at least one cliché, and you can spend hours on the internet discovering which other books readers believe that Yarros has plundered for themes and motifs. [...] a Frankenstein’s monster of borrowed romance and fantasy devices [...] world building displays a real lack of commitment and creativity [...]

Why is it so popular? It’s possible that many of the novel’s younger fans simply haven’t read enough to recognize how tired Yarros’ language and motifs are.

Iron Flame and Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros: Are the romantasy bestsellers actually any good? (slate.com)

Seems like the TV show would have a very hard time being worse than the books... and if it gets a blockbuster Amazon budget the visuals at least might be decent?

#7640 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 November 2023 - 07:02 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 08 November 2023 - 05:34 PM, said:

For the past six months, it’s been difficult to budge Rebecca Yarros’ Fourth Wing off the top of the New York Times bestseller list. Well, this week, a new title finally will: Iron Flame, Yarros’ sequel [...] Amazon has just announced plans to adapt Fourth Wing as a streaming series[...]

[...] Yarros’ system owes more to the long tradition of dragon-rider fantasy series by such authors as Cressida Cowell, Anne McCaffrey, and Naomi Novik. As is often the case with fictional dragons, the ones in Fourth Wing can communicate telepathically with humans, specifically their bonded riders, and because Violet’s and Xaden’s dragons are mated, the two human characters can speak in each other’s minds as well. This makes it easier for the couple to keep up the constant stream of sarcastic wisecracks [...]

[...] Seemingly every single sentence [...] includes at least one cliché, and you can spend hours on the internet discovering which other books readers believe that Yarros has plundered for themes and motifs. [...] a Frankenstein’s monster of borrowed romance and fantasy devices [...] world building displays a real lack of commitment and creativity [...]

Why is it so popular? It’s possible that many of the novel’s younger fans simply haven’t read enough to recognize how tired Yarros’ language and motifs are.

Iron Flame and Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros: Are the romantasy bestsellers actually any good? (slate.com)

Seems like the TV show would have a very hard time being worse than the books... and if it gets a blockbuster Amazon budget the visuals at least might be decent?

I’d say they are going to have a much harder time since Yarros has come out as a strong Zionist and is being widely boycotted in the book community for it. I can’t see that being something worthy of a show while that’s still going on. But then, they made OSC books into movies without much complaint, so who knows.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 08 November 2023 - 07:02 PM

Share this topic:

• 389 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users