• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#7661 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 November 2023 - 01:44 AM

Can you help me remember a show, I can’t google it because the sci-fi tropes are too common.

Just popped into my head. I remember it vaguely but don’t think I watched much. From the 1990:

Space ship stranded in space. Lost. Looking for earth I think. The crew awakens, no memories but they have skills. I think the male engineer somehow became the captain. I think eventually it’s revealed they are not the only ship and they are all clones.

#7662 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 27 November 2023 - 04:27 AM

View PostCause, on 27 November 2023 - 01:44 AM, said:

Can you help me remember a show, I can’t google it because the sci-fi tropes are too common.

Just popped into my head. I remember it vaguely but don’t think I watched much. From the 1990:

Space ship stranded in space. Lost. Looking for earth I think. The crew awakens, no memories but they have skills. I think the male engineer somehow became the captain. I think eventually it’s revealed they are not the only ship and they are all clones.

Are you sure it's not Dark Matter from the 2010s?

#7663 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 November 2023 - 03:02 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 27 November 2023 - 04:27 AM, said:

View PostCause, on 27 November 2023 - 01:44 AM, said:

Can you help me remember a show, I can't google it because the sci-fi tropes are too common.

Just popped into my head. I remember it vaguely but don't think I watched much. From the 1990:

Space ship stranded in space. Lost. Looking for earth I think. The crew awakens, no memories but they have skills. I think the male engineer somehow became the captain. I think eventually it's revealed they are not the only ship and they are all clones.

Are you sure it's not Dark Matter from the 2010s?

that's where my mind went.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7664 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 27 November 2023 - 06:14 PM

It was mission genesis (aka Deepwater Black). I didnt know this but its two leads went on to have major roles in Androemda as Harper and in DS9 as Ezrie Dax.

I told you the sci fi tropes were too common. If you google lost in space and clones you do get Dark Matter and a hundred other shows and movies to boot.

#7665 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 27 November 2023 - 08:47 PM

I finished Marvelous Mrs Maisel and I'm torn about the show. 60% of it was legit great stuff and 35% of it was love letter stuff that really didn't need to happen. I'm leaving 5% for the stuff that wasn't love letter stuff and didn't work well.

There was a redefinition of how Miriam and Susie work - maybe because the writers/show runners wanted a twee ending. The show started out as Susie bumbling into aggressive moves that work and Miriam refusing to live a life of non-solipsism and the two somehow making money on this. The show ended with Miriam saying Susie made her laugh like no other. That's not true and that swerve just didn't work for me - much like the flower song, the Bryn Mawr trip, Abe being neurotic about a publishing error etc.

I fucking loved the Catskills season though.

I wish the writers and show runners did less tribute to the NYC of old and got more into the characters we gave a shit about like Joel figuring out life, Miriam catching fire on screen somewhere, the entertainment world backstage people competing for slots etc. Instead, we got little throwaway bits.

The flash forwards parts were rough to me. I think it would have been better to have the big break earlier in the season and then have full episodes structured around post break life rather than one-off scenes.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7666 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 30 November 2023 - 04:29 PM

I started Blue-Eyed Samurai, Netflix's animated samurai revenge series. First two episodes, it's very good. Whole lot of style. Recommended.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#7667 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 07 December 2023 - 08:06 AM

Started the Prime show Reacher and man it's good. Bonus: second season comes out next week!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7668 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 13 December 2023 - 09:02 AM

André Braugher has died.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#7669 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 17 December 2023 - 04:32 AM

Got my babylon 5 blu ray and doing rewatch.

Note they spent like 500k a season..vs tng 10+mil

Graphics are 720p..they used the 4:3 master ...the 16:9..were destroyed as a note.

Looks solid.. i wish they did a 4k version with modrrn graphics
https://youtu.be/6CP...gpnTLbKUd3kru2i

Such a fun series..
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#7670 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 17 December 2023 - 05:59 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 07 December 2023 - 08:06 AM, said:

Started the Prime show Reacher and man it's good. Bonus: second season comes out next week!

Finished this the day before S2 started so we went straight into that! Just excellent stuff.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7671 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 December 2023 - 02:35 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 17 December 2023 - 05:59 AM, said:

Finished this the day before S2 started so we went straight into that! Just excellent stuff.

There's a common phrase associated with Jack Reacher [...] "Reacher says nothing." Saying nothing, however, can be terrifying for Alan Ritchson, who plays Reacher on TV.

"He's socially awkward, very stoic, very cerebral and none of those things should make for an interesting character," Ritchson [said ...] "As I play Reacher, I swear there's not one scene where I feel like, 'That was the most interesting scene of all TV.'"

"And then like the director[...] will come out, 'It was so good! Oh, it's so muscular and it was so full and like, it was right there, and we could just feel it coming out of your pores!

"I was just standing there," deadpans Ritchson.

'Reacher' star Alan Ritchson talks season two of hit show and how 'Amazon took a risk' on him | OurQuadCities

Wonder how many people will be inspired to become homeless (spoiler for season 2 episode 2):

Spoiler

#7672 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 17 December 2023 - 11:34 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 17 December 2023 - 05:59 AM, said:

Ole lady and i started Season 2 last night also. Super solid show for what it sets out to do. I still have trouble not seeing Thad Castle at times though.

Wrapped up Season 6 of Shameless. Still a solid show, like a car wreck i cant look away from.

We watched The Terminal List last week. Pretty above average soldier revenge show. Chris Pratt is not great in it. Hes so good as characters like Star Lord, but so ill suited for this.
Wont watch it again, but it was aight.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 17 December 2023 - 11:35 PM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7673 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 December 2023 - 05:05 PM

Was finally able to finish up Scavengers Reign in a quick burst. Well worth your time imo! I think I mentioned that I wasn't sure if its esoteric elements would balance out with the sci-fi stuff, but I'm pleased to say it does. You definitely acclimate -- though there are constant environmental surprises and WOW moments throughout the whole series -- and it becomes a really gripping survival story for a few scattered characters. The show even has a kind of 'main villain' in it, though extremely unique. It's billed as a miniseries rather than a Season 1. I think it's pretty complete, and I would say it really sticks the landing without revealing every card.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7674 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 09 January 2024 - 05:26 PM

Letterkenny is over, and I’m sad.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7675 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 10 January 2024 - 07:20 PM

The Brothers Sun is great. Combination of comedy, gangster kung fu, fish out of water, Taiwanese/Chinese culture appreciation, and internal family dynamics.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7676 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 11 January 2024 - 11:42 PM

Giving Giancarlo Esposito a role like this seem like a very, very good idea.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#7677 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 18 January 2024 - 06:47 PM

Joking about having to watch Peaky Blinders because I ate brown sauce got me to actually start watching it. It’s good a couple episodes in. Someone should have told me.

Finished Mrs maisel and was a bit let down by how rushed the end felt. Found out it got cancelled because Amazon wanted to divert budget to the piece of shit LOtR show which I hear is barely watchable, so that sucks. I don’t know how much more Mrs maisel needed, but it was a fun show and I liked watching it with the wife.
Error: Signature not valid

#7678 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 18 January 2024 - 11:30 PM

Peaky Blinders is on my list but it seems like a big commitment and I have a penchant for things that skirt close to trash. As such I have been watching Vikings Valhalla. The first season was good - a lot of good old viking on Christian on viking action. The pecks on Prince Harald of Norway get a lot of air time and the second series opens with him immediately needing to get his shirt off. Some of the other Vikings obviously took between the seasons to work on their abs - I'm wondering if it is contractual or competitive. This second season is not so good beyond that aspect but I will watch it all the way through as a quality check.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#7679 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 January 2024 - 07:55 PM

But there’s a special spice, a special piquancy, to our Reacherism right now. [...] Reacher[...] is among the most-watched shows in the country. It’s as if our collective imaginative power source, its fuses blown, has switched over to some kind of small, noisy backup generator. [...] Give us a violent simplicity. Give us an elemental morality. [...]

Reacher, on the page, is a strange and special and severely limited character: That’s the whole point of him. His mind is a diagram. His personality is a line of code. [...] The Reacher novels[...] are basically extended flights of improvisation: one take, with the barest of editing. [...]

Reacher, the show, certainly partakes of Child’s free-jazz narrative method—after the second episode, does anybody really know, or care, what the plot is? [...]

The show has a kind of escalating unreality, an ever-increasing quotient of weirdness, bum notes, AI-like vibes. [...] He sings it with a strange inhuman purity, like a cast member from Godspell.

[...] The fairy-tale physics of this Reacherworld suddenly cohered, and I found my fulfillment as a viewer.

[...] For all his mountainousness, something baffled and childlike is looking out of his eyes, and when he walks, he looks not at home in the world. [...]

[...] I do regard this show as a bit of a lost opportunity. Reacher has plenty to say to America in 2024, to this husk of a society we’re all rattling around in, plenty to say about violence and righteousness and emptiness and who gets away with what. [...] The rotted structures of reality give way before him. The Reacher version of him doesn’t quite get there, or go there. [But Donald Trump does! ... in the fantasies of far too many]

The Ridiculous Allure of 'Reacher' - The Atlantic

The morality is arguably little more complicated in (what I've watched so far of) season 2 than that, and Reacher's character in (at least) the show is also a bit more complex and layered.

Aside from all the violence, he's obviously an excellent role model, so I'll be binging most of the rest today while I electrocute my muscles for about five hours (as usual on a Friday night during the pandemic... incidentally the US has most likely been experiencing its second largest covid surge, according to the CDC---but long covid will give more people even more time to watch TV!).

#7680 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 January 2024 - 10:00 AM

Looks pretty good!

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 389 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users