• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#6841 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 October 2021 - 12:23 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 19 October 2021 - 06:43 AM, said:

And meanwhile, in other graphic novel adaptation news, Y The Last Man has not been renewed by FX

https://twitter.com/...iPT66SJ0-Q&s=19

This is why I often don't start a show when only the first season is airing...I no longer trust networks to renew and finish the story.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6842 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 October 2021 - 02:37 PM

I heard the TV adaptation was really poor anyway compared to the comics, so probably no great loss.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6843 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 October 2021 - 03:04 PM

View PostGorefest, on 19 October 2021 - 02:37 PM, said:

I heard the TV adaptation was really poor anyway compared to the comics, so probably no great loss.

Usually the case.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6844 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 19 October 2021 - 04:09 PM

I've not started it yet but I'll definitely give it a go. From what Abyss and a couple of the others were saying it seems like it's got good potential but Yorick is miscast and it's taken a while to really get going (is this fair Abyss?)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6845 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 October 2021 - 06:53 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 October 2021 - 12:23 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 19 October 2021 - 06:43 AM, said:

And meanwhile, in other graphic novel adaptation news, Y The Last Man has not been renewed by FX

https://twitter.com/...iPT66SJ0-Q&s=19

This is why I often don't start a show when only the first season is airing...I no longer trust networks to renew and finish the story.

Yep. They even announced the cancel with only 7 out of ten eps run which is pretty much an eyeball killer for the remainder. Harsh move by FX.
Allegedly it's been cancelled not because of viewer #s or advertiser interest, but because the pandemic delayed production so far that the studio was faced with paying a substantial hold fee for the show without knowing if there would be a S2, and balked.
So the actors and staff's contracts ran out. The producer swears she is going to find it another home, for whatever that's worth.

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 October 2021 - 03:04 PM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 19 October 2021 - 02:37 PM, said:

Usually the case.

View PostTiste Simeon, on 19 October 2021 - 04:09 PM, said:

I've not started it yet but I'll definitely give it a go. From what Abyss and a couple of the others were saying it seems like it's got good potential but Yorick is miscast and it's taken a while to really get going (is this fair Abyss?)

As you might expect people have various views on the show, and the core plot - one man left on Earth after a plague wipes out everything w a Y chromosome - triggers a lot of male rights advocates and anti-woke'ies.

My take was this: the show had four running plots and the titular one, Y himself, was the weakest, dullest, least interesting. Not the actor's fault, he was working with what he got, but it seemed - to me - that the show had developed interesting storylines for three of its leads and then gone to the stock plot pot for the guy who is supposed to b at the center of the whole thing. That's a problem, a huge problem, and in the six episodes that i watched they did not get close to solving it.

The comic... the comic follows Y. The other storylines develop around him, but always come back to him, so Y has things to do and challenges to overcome and encounters with the people who are important to his story. If the comic cuts away to whatever Y's mom or sister are doing, it is because those actions impact Y a few floppies later. The tv show did not do that. Yorick's mom and sister had their own plotlines and supporting cast and sfa to do w Yorick after the first couple of eps, and 355, probably the best character and actor in the show, kept ditching Yorick to go do something more interesting, which also, does not happen in the comic.

The comic is great, i recommend it. I did not need the show to be the comic, but i did need it to be a good show and, for me, it was not.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6846 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 October 2021 - 01:39 PM

Finished SQUID GAME last night. REALLY solid show! Bleak AF, but a VERY good commentary on capitalism and the inherent poverty associated with it. And as a K-Drama watcher who would have expected
Spoiler
to show up! I was impressed.

Could they do a second season? Maybe. Do they need to? Not really. There are some threads I'd like to see tied up like:

Spoiler
I would watch the shit out of that.

But again, I understand that it can stand on its own as a one-off too.

#6847 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 20 October 2021 - 01:45 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 October 2021 - 01:39 PM, said:

Finished SQUID GAME last night. REALLY solid show! Bleak AF, but a VERY good commentary on capitalism and the inherent poverty associated with it. And as a K-Drama watcher who would have expected
Spoiler

Could they do a second season? Maybe. Do they need to? Not really. There are some threads I'd like to see tied up like:

Spoiler

Spoiler

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6848 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 October 2021 - 01:51 PM

I knew that episode would be emotional for you, TS...
Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6849 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 20 October 2021 - 01:56 PM

View Postworry, on 20 October 2021 - 01:51 PM, said:

I knew that episode would be emotional for you, TS...
Spoiler

Wahey! Good one!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6850 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 October 2021 - 02:17 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 20 October 2021 - 01:45 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yep. Wife and I SOBBED through that one.

Spoiler

Also, since I've never seen him before in anything else and he was wonderful as the lead in this, I rented a really popular 2013 movie Lee Jyung-Jae is in called NEW WORLD. We'll see how it is.

Also, how has Sae-byeok actress Jung Ho-yeon never acted in anything else before? She was PHENOMENAL.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 20 October 2021 - 02:20 PM

#6851 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 20 October 2021 - 03:01 PM

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but I started watching ATYPICAL on Netflix yesterday. Mr Not a Blacksmith has watched it all before, but first time for me. Two episodes in and I'm very much on board.
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#6852 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 20 October 2021 - 03:07 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 October 2021 - 02:17 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 20 October 2021 - 01:45 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yep. Wife and I SOBBED through that one.

Spoiler

Also, since I've never seen him before in anything else and he was wonderful as the lead in this, I rented a really popular 2013 movie Lee Jyung-Jae is in called NEW WORLD. We'll see how it is.

Also, how has Sae-byeok actress Jung Ho-yeon never acted in anything else before? She was PHENOMENAL.

Yes she was amazing. I think the reason it stuck for me was just how human every single character was! (The billionaire douches perhaps notwithstanding) Like even the awful ones you can relate to and understand on some level...

Spoiler

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6853 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 October 2021 - 06:26 PM

Have watched a few of episodes from season 2 of Creepshow for spooky Halloween entertainment. They're not all that great, but most episodes have some cool horror special effects. There have been a few gems though. There was an all animated episode and the first story was really solid called "Survivor Type", which I guess is based on a short story by the horror master himself. Another episode that stands out wasn't all that great in its execution, but it was a pretty cool mashup of the werewolf and Santa Claus lore, and a reimagining of that. Ha! Satan Claws!

#6854 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 October 2021 - 06:32 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 20 October 2021 - 03:07 PM, said:

Yes she was amazing. I think the reason it stuck for me was just how human every single character was! (The billionaire douches perhaps notwithstanding) Like even the awful ones you can relate to and understand on some level...

Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 20 October 2021 - 06:33 PM

#6855 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 20 October 2021 - 07:42 PM

The funny thing now is seeing the hordes of right wing commentators saying how despite what the creator himself has said, it's actually anti-communism not a biting and scathing satire on capitalism. Because of the bit where he says they're all equal in the games. And, you know, not literally everything else in the show...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6856 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 October 2021 - 11:34 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 20 October 2021 - 06:26 PM, said:

Have watched a few of episodes from season 2 of Creepshow for spooky Halloween entertainment. They're not all that great, but most episodes have some cool horror special effects. There have been a few gems though. There was an all animated episode and the first story was really solid called "Survivor Type", which I guess is based on a short story by the horror master himself. Another episode that stands out wasn't all that great in its execution, but it was a pretty cool mashup of the werewolf and Santa Claus lore, and a reimagining of that. Ha! Satan Claws!

Forgot to mention in the werewolf/santa claus episode there was a weretortoise, who when turned would eat lettuce, and a Furry who aspired to be a werehippopotamus. Probably superfluous information and possibly an unnecessary post, but I wanted to get across just how bonkers the episode is. Oh and Santa isn't a lycanthrope or a therianthrope.

#6857 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 October 2021 - 01:53 PM

View PostAbyss, on 06 October 2021 - 05:44 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 23 July 2021 - 03:08 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 July 2021 - 03:03 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 23 July 2021 - 02:19 PM, said:

Yet i have started BOSCH and DAMN that is good tv.

That whole show only flies at ALL because Titus Welliver is an absolute BEAST of an actor who chews every scene he's in.

Am only on S1... so far the production and most of the supporting cast are fairly solid. Plots run from predictable (and yes Welliver carries those) to reasonably interesting.

Also one of those shows that employs a metric tonne of actors we've seen in other shows so it's fun to play 'spot the Sons of Anarchy/Breaking Bad/The Americans/etc cast member'.

View Postworry, on 24 July 2021 - 04:07 AM, said:

Only 5 eps?! That's a little skimpy.
Re: Bosch. I too am currently Bosching. Started S4 tonight. All I can say is if you're looking for some Bosch, this show is a high-yielding source of it.

Halfway thru S6. Great show.
S4 was a bit of a dip (the K-Killer WTF WAS THAT?), but 5 came screaming back and 6 is cruising along nicely with 5 interweaving and very engaging storylines. QT i take your point about Welliver, he's awesome, but i am seriously loving the entire cast. Some of the one shot extras victims random bystanders cops etc are a bit weak but the main cast are SO good and just nail the chemistry, or deliberate lack of it.

Almost bummed we only have one season to go, but i see rumours of a spinoff are out there.

Finished S7 and the series.
Totally enjoyed this. The characters grow, the cast gets better and better, other than the S4 dip the show got steadily better, the overplots developed in a way that made sense. Great series. Crime/detective drama isn't often my thing and I really looked fwd to watching this.

Next up was THE LOST SYMBOL, a tv series based on a Dan Brown book i hated. Surprisingly i've enjoyed the two eps aired so far. It's clunky at times but the pace is good, the mysteries and symbology are well handled, Langdon talks a lot but the actor delivers well enough and the production keeps things moving around him.

And then SQUID GAME. The first 30min of ep1 were fairly meh but once things kick off... yeah i see why the hype. Looking fwd to seeing where this goes.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6858 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 October 2021 - 02:26 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 October 2021 - 01:53 PM, said:

Langdon talks a lot but the actor delivers well enough and the production keeps things moving around him.

He's really good in the show form a few years ago MANHATTAN.

View PostAbyss, on 21 October 2021 - 01:53 PM, said:

And then SQUID GAME. The first 30min of ep1 were fairly meh but once things kick off... yeah i see why the hype. Looking fwd to seeing where this goes.

It's and excellent show, and I hope it gets more people to watch other K-Drama's

#6859 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 October 2021 - 05:50 PM

Is Squid Game dubbed or is it shown with subtitles?

#6860 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:17 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 21 October 2021 - 05:50 PM, said:

Is Squid Game dubbed or is it shown with subtitles?

Netflix usually allows for either. I watched it dubbed.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic