#3781 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:28 PM

Flippin' A

#3782 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:58 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 October 2017 - 06:30 PM, said:

View Postacesn8s, on 10 October 2017 - 05:43 PM, said:

I finished watching season 1 of The Magicians on Netflix last night. Having never read the books, I found it a bit slow going in the beginning but started to get caught up in it as the season went on. I think the biggest stumbling block was the fact that I really didn't like most of the characters. They were all to some form or another, really shitty people.

That doesn't go away in Season 2. I actively hated even Eliot...who I largely thought was amusing in S1.

It's basically grown up Harry Potter/Narnia, populated by complete assholes who you can't exactly root for.

I won't be tuning in for the next season.

Same as the books basically. Didn't get past book 3
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#3783 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:50 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 11 October 2017 - 03:58 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 October 2017 - 06:30 PM, said:

View Postacesn8s, on 10 October 2017 - 05:43 PM, said:

I finished watching season 1 of The Magicians on Netflix last night. Having never read the books, I found it a bit slow going in the beginning but started to get caught up in it as the season went on. I think the biggest stumbling block was the fact that I really didn't like most of the characters. They were all to some form or another, really shitty people.

That doesn't go away in Season 2. I actively hated even Eliot...who I largely thought was amusing in S1.

It's basically grown up Harry Potter/Narnia, populated by complete assholes who you can't exactly root for.

I won't be tuning in for the next season.

Same as the books basically. Didn't get past book 3

Yeah, I mean I like me some anti-heroes...but they need redeeming qualities and I need to be able to root for them a bit to stomach it.

I can't with any of these people.

And to boot, Julia may be the WORST fictional character I've had the displeasure of watching on screen. EVER.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3784 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:10 PM

Ugh, that's not a good sign. Maybe I should read some summaries on line and just move on.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#3785 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:25 AM

I couldn't do it. Genuinely enjoyed the books, but the tv series S1 was so .... meh. Managed four eps.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3786 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:18 PM

Jonathan Groff's character's name is Holden Ford.

WTF? Might as well have called him Dodge Chrysler.

For the uninitiated, Holden is a brand of car in Australia started in about 1908 and owned by GM since the early 1930s.
Eventually the company here was called General Motors Holden, but is pretty much just referred to as Holden.
Most of their models are rebadged GMs but we export a few the other way.
For 50 years the big car rivalry here was Ford and Holden, especially in touring car racing, until Toyotas started outselling both in the late 90s.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#3787 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:20 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 13 October 2017 - 12:18 PM, said:

Jonathan Groff's character's name is Holden Ford.

WTF? Might as well have called him Dodge Chrysler.

For the uninitiated, Holden is a brand of car in Australia started in about 1908 and owned by GM since the early 1930s.
Eventually the company here was called General Motors Holden, but is pretty much just referred to as Holden.
Most of their models are rebadged GMs but we export a few the other way.
For 50 years the big car rivalry here was Ford and Holden, especially in touring car racing, until Toyotas started outselling both in the late 90s.

I know a person whose real name is Holden Ford. I don't find that so unusual.

#3788 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:53 PM

I know a man named Holden de Balzac. Nice guy but his hands are always sweaty.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3789 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:09 PM

All the talk in this thread about The Sopranos and company got me rewatching The Wire.
I've only ever watched the whole thing once - and that was on dvd so a few episodes at a time. Been bingeing it after work and such. I'd forgotten how oddly compelling it is. Was worried it wouldn't hold up - but it's still got it. (Well, once you get past the good old 4:3 aspect ratio! Lol.)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#3790 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:27 PM

BK did you ever watch Six Feet Under? It gets a little too soapy in the middle seasons (esp. S4) but it really sticks the landing better than most shows. And it's a good time for everyone to contemplate mortality.

#3791 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:55 PM

No, I never watched that one. Its color pallet was too intensely orange for me. Dust is one thing, but I hate that filter that turns everything sepia.

But I'll watch it eventually anyway, just to have done it.

#3792 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:55 AM

A series of unfortunate events, got to episode 2 and watched half. Then turned it off.

Limitless, got to episode 4 and dislike the bad acting. Okay story but not engaging.

Bitten, finished episode 1 and that's it for me. No thank you.

Witches of East End, finished episode 1 and that is also it for me. Fuck bad acting.

Timeless, got to episode 9. It was alright, but not great. Every episode is the same and i'm not sure I want to continue.

Westworld, gets a grade A*. It is fantastic. I am about 4 or 5 episodes in, and cannot get enough. It reminds me of Acts of Fucking Caine, fuck yes. Please let me watch more. Also great actors and acting. Anthony Hopkins and Ed Harris, are two of my favourite.

Think I may cancel my Netflix subscription because they are falling way behind in shows I want to watch. Westworld I watched on Kodi.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#3793 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:57 PM

A general question to all -

Do you find your taste in shows changing fast - like in 3-4 years? I used to be able to just watch any random comedy sitcom but now I find that I simply can't watch shows like that anymore.

#3794 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:58 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 16 October 2017 - 08:55 AM, said:

Westworld, gets a grade A*. It is fantastic. I am about 4 or 5 episodes in, and cannot get enough. It reminds me of Acts of Fucking Caine, fuck yes. Please let me watch more. Also great actors and acting. Anthony Hopkins and Ed Harris, are two of my favourite.

Think I may cancel my Netflix subscription because they are falling way behind in shows I want to watch. Westworld I watched on Kodi.

Westworld was absolutely excellent. I liked it more than GoT which is high praise from me.

#3795 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:07 PM

View PostAndorion, on 16 October 2017 - 01:58 PM, said:

View PostTattersail_, on 16 October 2017 - 08:55 AM, said:

Westworld was absolutely excellent. I liked it more than GoT which is high praise from me.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, looking fwd to S2.

#3796 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:31 PM

Westworld was amazing.

And I completely agree Ando. There is hardly anything on cable tv I can thoroughly enjoy anymore.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 16 October 2017 - 02:31 PM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#3797 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:36 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 16 October 2017 - 02:31 PM, said:

Westworld was amazing.

And I completely agree Ando. There is hardly anything on cable tv I can thoroughly enjoy anymore.

It's created a strange problem for me - for years my routine was to come home, shower and plop down in front of the tv with some food. I wouldn't watch it for long - 30 minutes or so, but now there is literally nothing. Even the crime shows have gone down.

#3798 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:12 PM

View PostBriar King, on 16 October 2017 - 06:50 PM, said:

Pushing Orville again. Y’all try it out. Don’t dismiss this show because of the campaign leading up to pilot. The humor is on the background and this show is tackling issues that TNG just couldn’t do due to our current stick out our asses expanded minds. 6 episodes in and the pilot is the black sheep of the lot.

The most recent Orville ep was the best of the lot so far!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3799 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:24 PM

I'm like in opposite-land from you guys.
There hasn't been anything I've seen on TV this year I've liked less than Westworld. Quit after 8 eps, with no regrets (aside from forcing myself to get that far).

But also I've had no problem finding great things to watch in general (I don't have cable, but I have Roku apps). I'm not sure what goes out into the international market though.

#3800 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:40 PM

View PostAndorion, on 16 October 2017 - 02:36 PM, said:

.... Even the crime shows have gone down.

Seen THE FALL or THE KILLING?

Share this topic:

• 389 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users