#121 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 31 May 2008 - 04:22 PM

QuickTidal;319778 said:

Which should make book 6 awesome!!

Just have to wait until 2012 to get it. :o

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#122 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 31 May 2008 - 04:23 PM

Sir Thursday;319785 said:

Sir Thursday

Dang.....that's true.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#123 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 31 May 2008 - 04:27 PM

Sir Thursday;319785 said:

Sir Thursday

i think your being optimistic there.....
meh. Link was dead :(

#124 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 31 May 2008 - 06:18 PM

Is it still planned to be a seven book series, or since he split up AFFC/ADWD iis it eight books now? I think it should go 10 books, as all proper epic fantasy should.
Error: Signature not valid

#125 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:03 PM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;319825 said:

Is it still planned to be a seven book series, or since he split up AFFC/ADWD iis it eight books now? I think it should go 10 books, as all proper epic fantasy should.

It was 6 books before the split, and it's 7 now. Parris thinks it's going to be 8, which I'm hoping is not the case, but her predictions about the series have had a tendency to come true even when GRRM's haven't.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#126 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:29 PM

RLY said:

I believe celibacy is at least implied.

It is (which is of course why Jon had such issues with Ygritte, especially at first), but since the main point of the vows is the no-other-responsibilities issue, Mole Town excursions etc. are essentially ignored. So in practice, only the letter of the law is truly enforced.

I read at another board that GRRM said that the person that ends up on the throne will be someone no one expected. I know where to find RJ interview quotes, but I don't know where to find GRRM's - did he say that? If so, is there a possibility that he didn't include Jon in his approximation of our expectations? (I ask that with the all bets off scenario in mind, of course.)

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#127 User is offline   Danyah 

• Fist

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:34 PM

We better start voting who we want to finish the series, because he will go Robert Jordan on us, in number of installments and in lack of years to finish them. Willing to put my money on it.

#128 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:55 PM

Werthead;319847 said:

It was 6 books before the split, and it's 7 now. Parris thinks it's going to be 8, which I'm hoping is not the case, but her predictions about the series have had a tendency to come true even when GRRM's haven't.

As long as he actually finishes it before he dies, I'd rather have 8 than 7. Hell, if the quality kept up, I'd rather have 50.

#129 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:56 PM

Danyah;319861 said:

We better start voting who we want to finish the series, because he will go Robert Jordan on us, in number of installments and in lack of years to finish them. Willing to put my money on it.

Hmmmm....but who could do it?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#130 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:58 PM

No one comes to mind.:o

#131 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:07 PM

They should make you finish the whole series before you get a contract. lol...

There it is.

#132 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:32 AM

I read at another board that GRRM said that the person that ends up on the throne will be someone no one expected. I know where to find RJ interview quotes, but I don't know where to find GRRM's - did he say that? If so, is there a possibility that he didn't include Jon in his approximation of our expectations? (I ask that with the all bets off scenario in mind, of course.)

Virtually every public statement GRRM has ever made in the last ten years can be found here. Erm, good luck with that. I suggest combining the website address with google searches to try and track down what you are looking for.

And, as Tad Williams, GRRM, Robert Jordan and many others have said, this is what you would do in an ideal universe. However, the fact that you would starve from lack of money in the meantime is why writers can't do this.

Robert Jordan had a one-in-a-million blood condition. It is rather unlikely that GRRM would develop the same problem. As of his last health check last year, he was absolutely 100% fine apart from - obviously - not being as trim as he could be, which I know he's been addressing in the interim.

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#133 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:49 AM

Posted Image

You want to make a wager that this man is healthy enough to write over two more books, when they are coming at a rate of one every five or so years? That puts us at around 2018, when he will be 70. Since he already looks older than that, my hopes are not high. Is he a smoker or drinker, anyone know?

#134 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:52 AM

Werthead;320051 said:

Terez said:

And, as Tad Williams, GRRM, Robert Jordan and many others have said, this is what you would do in an ideal universe. However, the fact that you would starve from lack of money in the meantime is why writers can't do this.

Right...hence the "lol". :p I think it's a bit sick how everyone obsesses over the health of authors with a series in progress. People have always done that but it's gotten a lot worse since RJ died.

Thanks for the link. :o I'm working on putting all of RJ's quotes in one place....and it will be organized....

There it is.

#135 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:17 AM

Werthead;320051 said:

As of his last health check last year, he was absolutely 100% fine apart from - obviously - not being as trim as he could be, which I know he's been addressing in the interim.

This exercisal activity must be cutting into his writing time. Obviously we need to fix this by implanting him into a vast writing life support system, even if he exponentially increases in weight. I don't care about his BMI, it's his WPM that matters.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#136 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:52 AM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;320058 said:

Posted Image

You want to make a wager that this man is healthy enough to write over two more books, when they are coming at a rate of one every five or so years? That puts us at around 2018, when he will be 70. Since he already looks older than that, my hopes are not high. Is he a smoker or drinker, anyone know?

Gods, he looks like the King of High House Nerd in that picture...wow. He looks like a Santa Claus that is down on his luck :o

Wert's right though, GRRM is fine except for his weight. If he can at least slim up some he should be ok as long as disaster doesn't hit.

8 books sounds more likely now.....

I love the Dany storyline. She's a fascinating character.

Oh and I don't expect Jon to survive the series, so him being King is out of the question IMO.

#137 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:01 AM

weight brings you down quick though.. in these days you change dramatically between 55 and 70 at some point and hes fairly close to that point. if he wants to get to 80 hes gotta drop a few tyrions

#138 User is offline   Danyah 

• Fist

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:48 PM

Terez;320059 said:

Right...hence the "lol". :o I think it's a bit sick how everyone obsesses over the health of authors with a series in progress. People have always done that but it's gotten a lot worse since RJ died.

Yeah, you're right, but honestly, what do you care about more: GRRMs private life and personality or the story.

I mostly care for the product so to speak, and idolizing authors or musicians is not my style. Without the music or the books they are just people after all. Look at Elvis, Bono or Terry Goodkind.

#139 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:47 PM

Speaking of Tyrion--to me one of the greatest fantasy characters ever.

#140 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:05 PM

That pic is 2 years old, btw. That said I haven't seen any more recent pictures than that, but last I heard he had gotten down some of the weight.

I'm not a huge fan of speculating on someone's health, especially when they are a good friend of many friends of mine.

Speaking of Tyrion--to me one of the greatest fantasy characters ever.

Definitely. Probably the finest character created in fantasy in the last fifteen years.

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

21 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 21 guests, 0 anonymous users