• « First
  • Last »

A Dance with Dragons Rate Topic: -----

#101 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:56 PM

I also don't get the Dany hate, unless it's just an attitude of dissatisfaction with a character who should be this strong willed power figure yet seems such a victim wishy washy sometimes. That said, i think it's totally interesting how she's changed over time. While the Tarygarten [sp] dynasty seems centred on the men, there have been hints that the women were just as willful and that's how Dany seems to be developing. She's conquering an entire continent (more or less) before she even gets around to Westeros, which is better than any of the Three/Four/Five Kings seem to be doing.

- Abyss, totally enjoys GRRM's take on dragons too, and that's a Dany plot element.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#102 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:21 PM

Yeah, it's pretty clear from Visenya and Rhaenys down through Shiera Seastar and Daena the Defiant that the Targaryen women have been pretty strong-willed and formidable in their own rights, and it is interesting that Daenerys is the first actually in a position of power (well, apart from Rhaenyra, but that ended with her getting eaten by a dragon, so not so good).
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#103 User is offline   Kulp Diet 

• Sergeant

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:00 PM

I'm a Dany fan. I found her character development fascinating, from being a piece of property to be bargained, to sliding into the role of warlord queen, through her grief at losing husband and child, to being mother of dragons, on to being the travelling queen of nothing, to becoming liberator of peoples, and then ruler. Its definitely not boring watching Dany grow and mature, IMO. The summary of her transformation may look cheesy on the surface, but GRRM definitely pulled it off with his careful storytelling.

Her inevitable meeting with Tyrion is my #1 reason for anticipating ADWD, with the events at the wall holding a close 2nd.

#104 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:20 PM

Dany always seems like a wiener. kind of like sansa in the first few books

#105 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:28 PM

I prefer the Dany chapters to a lot of the others. I guess maybe because they're seperate from all the others, but of enough import that you still see references to her crop up in other PoVs. The eastern thing may be somewhat generic, and the dragons fairly bizarre, but it's a breath of fresh air from a lot of the close-packed political intrigue going on in the majority of the other chapters.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#106 User is offline   Shurque's biatch 

• High Fist
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:38 PM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;318060 said:

I just hope the tv series is half ass good as that fake movie trailer is. That thing gives me shivers when I watch it, and it's not even real.

That was great. I am very much in favor of HBO doing this. Rome was teh ossum.

I also like Dany's POV and hope that she and Jon are the ice and fire.
"Piss on Hood!" ~Roach

#107 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:46 PM

I do not dislike Dany at all--she is becoming a complex character. I see a parallel to Karsa in terms of initial simplicity which becomes something quite sophisticated. Martin does, after all, rock when it comes to presenting interesting characters. I suspect that many will meet grisly ends because they underestimate Dany.

"Generic" is a good description of the setting and context of Dany's story. Perhaps other viewpoints would enhance that portion of the story for me.

#108 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:27 PM

Jon and Dany have to hook up...Jon's the only man alive with enough Targaryen blood...surely she will overcome being barren somehow. :o But Jon could be the ice and fire all on his own...

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#109 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:59 PM

Oh, and Jon has to overcome his vows as well....why does it have to be so complicated? :o

There it is.

#110 User is offline   Kulp Diet 

• Sergeant

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:32 AM

Terez;319504 said:

Oh, and Jon has to overcome his vows as well....why does it have to be so complicated? :o

That ship sailed with that chick from the wastelands (can't remember her name). Lil' miss, "You know nothing Jon Snow."

#111 User is offline   No-God 

• Fist

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:51 AM

QuickTidal;311840 said:

It may have sold well cause we all bought it,....but A Feast For Crows was garbage. I only liked the Arya chapters. It was like reading all about the clean-up after a war.

Martin ought to pull his bootstraps up and write like a real author.

I enjoyed it, so I don't think calling it 'garbage' has much basis.

#112 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 31 May 2008 - 02:14 AM

Kulp Diet;319566 said:

That ship sailed with that chick from the wastelands (can't remember her name). Lil' miss, "You know nothing Jon Snow."

Ygritte? She drank moon tea, so Jon didn't technically break his vows with her. :o "Take no wife, father no children..." Are you talking about Gilly for the other? Craster's daughter/wife? That's Sam anyway...not Jon.

There it is.

#113 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 31 May 2008 - 02:38 AM

And Jon's orders allowed him to sleep with her.

#114 User is offline   Kulp Diet 

• Sergeant

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:07 AM

Terez;319573 said:

Ygritte? She drank moon tea, so Jon didn't technically break his vows with her. :o "Take no wife, father no children...".

You may have a point there. I thought it was a straight vow of celibacy but perhaps not.

Not Gilly, lol.

#115 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:12 AM

Well all that talk about the ship was confusing. :o Anyway, no it's not a straight vow of celibacy...that's why everyone goes to Mole Town for whores. They just can't get married, and if they do father a child, it has to be a bastard. The point is for them to not have any responsibilities other than the Wall.

There it is.

#116 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:47 AM

I believe celibacy is at least implied. I remember one passage talking about people breaking their vows by going to moletown brothels, but many ignore that part of the vows. It's like constitutional interpretation, going by the spirit of the law when the letter of the law isn't clear. I just finished my reread of the series and it really seems to me there's no sex allowed after taking the black, in theory anyways.
Error: Signature not valid

#117 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:48 PM

I hope that Dany and Jon hook up get married and take down Westeros.

I'm hoping not. That would be extremely cheesy. I like the idea of Jon keeping to his vows as Lord Commander.

Of course, if the Wall is destroyed and the Night's Watch overrun by the Others, all bets are off :o

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#118 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:02 PM

Werthead;319740 said:

I'm hoping not. That would be extremely cheesy. I like the idea of Jon keeping to his vows as Lord Commander.

Of course, if the Wall is destroyed and the Night's Watch overrun by the Others, all bets are off :o

Always figured that eunuch army would end up on the wall by the end of the series. There was some pretty heavy foreshadowing i remember
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#119 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:51 PM

That's an interesting idea. But I don't think there's enough time. In order for the series to end in Book 7, I think both Dany's invasion and the onslaught of the Others would have to take place in Book 6 (if not start at the end of Book 5).

#120 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 31 May 2008 - 04:09 PM

Werthead;319775 said:

That's an interesting idea. But I don't think there's enough time. In order for the series to end in Book 7, I think both Dany's invasion and the onslaught of the Others would have to take place in Book 6 (if not start at the end of Book 5).

Which should make book 6 awesome!!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

12 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users