Malazan Empire: A Dance with Dragons - Malazan Empire

• 22 Pages +
  • Last »

A Dance with Dragons Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Cain 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:49 PM

Uh, I hate to sound like a asshole but does anyone else besides me think a robert jordanesque-like incident is going to happen with the Song of Ice and Fire series. Its been like TWO YEARS, and still A Dance with dragons is STILL not done! And thats not even the end of the series : P What is taking Martin so long, yeah you cannot write a book overnight, but damn. How frustrating is this.

#2 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:59 PM

Old topic
Numerous threads about it
Short answer--Martin is yet to deliver a fundamental failure
Feast took 4 years to write
Dance should be out fall/winter
We hope
We pray.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#3 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:10 PM

It could be worse.

It could be a 12 book series.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#4 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:14 PM

It could be, yet :p
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#5 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:21 PM

Hush, Penfold.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#6 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:34 PM

Originally, it was s'posed to be a trilogy...

#7 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:42 PM

Personally I think GRRM is heading for a 13 book series. No basis, and even in the face of facts/GRRM's desires, but I like it.

#8 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:50 PM

Illuyankas;311798 said:

It could be worse.

It could be a 12 book series.

or it could be even worse.

he could die before he finishes it.. oh wait.

#9 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:56 PM

Mentalist;311789 said:

Dance should be out fall/winter
We hope
We pray.

Word around the SFF sites, and from GRRM's blog, is that it doesn't look good for him meeting his June deadline. And, of course, he can't be bothered to write during con season...he said as much. Which is just utter horseshit. So, as I was saying, word is that if it's not submitted by the June deadline, we won't be seeing it until the ass-end of 2009.

#10 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:01 PM

Mentalist;311789 said:

Short answer--Martin is yet to deliver a fundamental failure

It may have sold well cause we all bought it,....but A Feast For Crows was garbage. I only liked the Arya chapters. It was like reading all about the clean-up after a war.

Martin ought to pull his bootstraps up and write like a real author.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:03 PM

George's problem is that he's far too easily distracted, particularly by his blog. He writes it far too much and his die-hard fans love him for it, so he does more, and writes less book. It's a vicious cycle, especially when the same fans then complain about how long it takes for him to write the books :p
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#12 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:15 PM

Someone break his kneecap and remove his internet, or we'll never see the last book before the end of time and space.

#13 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:24 PM

@ QT:
the only parts of AFFC that i disliked were Brienne and Cersei (hated with a passion)
Jamie and Samwell and Sansa were ok, Ironmen and Dorne were pure WIN, Arya -fairly awesome.

#14 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:49 PM

caladanbrood+;311841 said:

George's problem is that he's far too easily distracted, particularly by his blog. He writes it far too much and his die-hard fans love him for it, so he does more, and writes less book. It's a vicious cycle, especially when the same fans then complain about how long it takes for him to write the books :p

Yeah, he ought to take the cue from other writers who sequester themselves WITHOUT internet (ala Neil Gaiman) to write....so they aren't distracted. It's what I do when I write.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#15 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:09 PM

then again he could be glen cook and you'd have no idea what book hes writing when he has 2 or 3 different directions he could go

#16 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:35 AM

caladanbrood+;311801 said:

It could be, yet :p

Very true Brood. Martin has finally admitted he's waaaaay behind. I'm so sick of his pointless ponderings and musings....I wish he'd feed the beast that made him what he is and FINISH THE SERIES!!!!!!!

I think he plans on it only having seven books in the series...but who the hell knows at this point?

#17 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:46 AM

I don't understand why he seems to spend so much time on all of the lame side projects, when this is what people really want. Think it's possible he's given up, and never plans on finishing it, but doesn't have the stones to admit it?
Error: Signature not valid

#18 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:53 AM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;311967 said:

I don't understand why he seems to spend so much time on all of the lame side projects, when this is what people really want. Think it's possible he's given up, and never plans on finishing it, but doesn't have the stones to admit it?

I can't see him giving up. GRRM has his hand in too many cookie jars basically. He loves sci-fi and I don't have a problem with him doing side projects....but it seems that he is stuck in a rut with aSoIaF....he needs to focus solely on that for awhile and get back on track.

#19 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:00 AM

I'm re-reading him now, and on affc. I like Arya's and Samwell's points of view, and Jaime's, though Brienne's are pretty boring and Cersei's are just annoying because I can't stand the bitch. I like Asha but the Iron Islands side plot is annoying without her (I don't miss Theon at all). The Dorne side plot is more interesting to me. I do like the story in King's Landing, despite having to put up with Cersei's point of view, cause her point of view especially drives home how much WIN Tyrion was able to make out of his dismal circumstances. Sansa/Alayne's points of view are interesting in their own way. Little as I like Littlefinger, I wanted him to WIN in that book because Sansa is an annoying little bitch too, despite being a Stark.

But if I understand correctly, most of the interesting points of view and kick-ass action will be in the next book, because it was reserved for that book, no?

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#20 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:49 AM

Xander;311960 said:

I think he plans on it only having seven books in the series...but who the hell knows at this point?

Well I think the original idea was 7, but aFfC and aDwD are one "book", if you like, it was just far too long to actually publish as one.

I think, before aFfC, he was fine, but he said that when he first wrote it, it was set several years further into the future, and a lot of the kids had grown up, and he couldn't write them properly, hence re-writing the entire thing as an immediate follow-on. But anything that he originally planned has to be in tatters now, surely, considering that?

It's probably one of the reasons he's taking so long, as he has to re-work the whole series objective while he writes, which can't be easy.

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users