• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doctor Who is back!!

#21 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:52 AM

Prior to the new series that started in 2005, Gallifrey and all the other Time Lords were very much alive. The Doctor had a number of adventures that involved his homeworld and other Time Lords. Hell, he was even President of the Time Lords for awhile. As I recall he ran for office mostly to avoid be executed for crimes or something!

When they restarted the show in '05, they added in the "Last Great Time War" as a backstory for the Doctor. So the time between the 8th Doctor and the 9th Doctor is where this Time War happened. Guess it added some cool background and character to the new Doctor Who with his world and all his people gone.

I feel even geekier than usual now.;)

#22 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:07 AM

Huh, well I never knew that!! Cool, cheers Rodeo.

I never really watched any of the old series, they just looked so antiquated, let alone pay attention to any stroylines.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#23 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:55 AM

Yeah, I recall when I was a kid watching a trial of the Doctor on Gallifrey, during which they summoned the Master to give testimony. I think it was the 6th Doctor......not sure.

But yeah, I like the dynamic that Gallifrey is gone and so are most (I don't think The Master is properly dead....the ring) of the time lords.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:58 AM

That's bizarre, what a crazy thing to decide to put in. Good idea though, it adds depth to the character I think. Cheers RR.

#25 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 03 May 2008 - 06:52 PM

nice second part there.

particularly liked the reference to a certain Sir Alistair:D
be nice if he got a bit-part appearance at some point

also - that's probably the highest on screen death toll i've seen in a while
meh. Link was dead :(

#26 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 May 2008 - 10:56 PM

I thought that was by far the best episode of the season so far - the Pompeii one was watchable but nothing special, and the others were fairly dire, but I really enjoyed this one. Plenty of action to hide Catherine Tate's annoyingness as Donna, and making Martha tag along for the ride will hopefully accomplish a similar role in the next few episodes. I did feel that it was a little too convenient that the giant cloud of fire that enveloped the planet didn't kill anyone, especially since it was burning away all the gas and most people would have had plenty in their systems by that point.

Oh, and hands up if you noticed the split second of Rose on the Tardis screen before the Doctor's communication came through?

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#27 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:01 PM

*Keeps hand firmly by unobservant sides*

I thought it was good, I was a little surprised by the flames covering the Earth but people breathing fine, despite presumably lots of oxygen being burnt. But whatever.

Interested to see next week and his daughter though. Blonde, lithe, fit.

Me like. :D

#28 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:04 PM

I really enjoyed that episode. By far the best of the series so far, I agree.

Can't wait for next week. Seriously, his daughter??!!??!! And damn fine too :D

I like these little Rose teasers. Wonder when she'll eventually turn properly.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#29 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:08 PM

Alright people, a vote- who would you prefer, Martha or Rose?

#30 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:09 PM

In what way? :D

#31 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:20 PM

Let's go with both. :D

Both the answer to your question, and my own answer to my question.:p

#32 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:58 PM

it's not that surprising that he has a daughter.

I mean, he's got a grand-daughter too.

the only real question i've got is who is the mum?
and yes, i noticed the flash of rose on the screen.
meh. Link was dead :(

#33 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:08 AM

I don't think "daughter" will mean daughter in the urr, traditional sense. Did you notice how much the camera flicked to the case of his hand when the Tardis was being misappropriated... I think she has his genetic material, but isn't his real daughter. After all, that hand was all sorts of places he couldn't have known about after falling off the space ship in the Christmas Invasion.

#34 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:39 AM

I need to get on the whole Dr Who thing. Never seen an episode, don't know a thing about it. I've heard plenty people saying it's great though.
Error: Signature not valid

#35 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:44 AM

Start with the newer series, starting with Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor, don't worry about the older ones too much.

It has a very unique style. Keep in mind that its shown at 6pm, should give you an idea of what sort of program it is. And try not to worry about the bizarre enemies he encounters - a lot of them are from the original, older series (what the hell is the plural of series?), so they're rather antiquated;)

#36 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:48 AM

Series'? Serieses? Serii?

#37 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 04 May 2008 - 01:32 AM

Thelomen Toblerone;299858 said:

Series'?

You need to read Eats, Shoots and Leaves...

#38 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:33 AM

caladanbrood;299836 said:

I don't think "daughter" will mean daughter in the urr, traditional sense. Did you notice how much the camera flicked to the case of his hand when the Tardis was being misappropriated... I think she has his genetic material, but isn't his real daughter. After all, that hand was all sorts of places he couldn't have known about after falling off the space ship in the Christmas Invasion.

I did notice that, but didn't make the connection. Does make sense though - I don't think they'd dredge up ancient history (show-wise, that is) to find someone who he could possibly have made babies with, and there's been nothing in the new series (plural :D) to indicate that he's been getting it on with anyone...

I haven't been keeping track of where the hand has been at all times...I know Jack had it in Season 1 of Torchwood...did he have it when he showed up at the end of Season 3? Can't remember. From memory though, it was definitely on earth until that point. So how has it managed to go gallivanting off round the galaxy?

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#39 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:41 AM

I have never seen this show....and feel I am lacking because of it :D

#40 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:14 AM

Sir Thursday;299898 said:

I haven't been keeping track of where the hand has been at all times...I know Jack had it in Season 1 of Torchwood...did he have it when he showed up at the end of Season 3? Can't remember. From memory though, it was definitely on earth until that point. So how has it managed to go gallivanting off round the galaxy?

I've been thinking about this, and come up with a rather neat idea... well, I hope so anyway.

After his hand was cut off in the Christmas Invasion, it was presumably just lying around in a back-yard somewhere until Captain Jack found it. But, after that, what else happened to the hand in between Jack having it to find the Doctor, and the Doctor having it in the Tardis... that's right, it was in the possession of the Master. Now, it's plausible, and even probable, that the Master did more with that hand than simply calibrate his sonic Lazarus widget to the Doctor... thus, the Doctor's daughter is not friendly to him, as was sort of portrayed in the trailer, and could, in fact, be the woman with the red fingernails we saw picking up the Master's signet ring at the very end of series 3. This last bit does assume she has some sort of time-travelling ability herself, and where she might find a device to allow her to do that, I don't know, but I could see it happening.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users