• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doctor Who is back!!

#1 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 06 April 2008 - 05:52 AM

Yes, the latest series started on BBC1 last night, and it was pretty damn good. Catherine Tate is an odd choice for a companion I think, but it could make a nice change, as she's going to be the main comic character, they can explore a more serious side of the Doctor, maybe.

For anyone who missed it, it's on iPlayer for a week (UK only I'm afraid) http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b00...shtml?src=ip_mp
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#2 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 06 April 2008 - 01:46 PM

If you really like Dr Who, David Tennant did an interview with Simon Mayo on BBC 5Live last week. It should still be available on itunes (the show is called the Daily Mayo). He gives a few small tidbits in relation to the upcoming series. You'll have to b quick though as the BBC don't leave their podcasts up for long. Usually a week.

I don't know how long it will be before i get to see it down here in NZ, but I look forward to it. I was hoping for a hotter companion though, like maybe that actress who played the character Sally Sparrow, or the one who was madame de pompadour (or whatever the one set in the french revolution time was called).

I didn't really like the christmas special with catherine tate in it, but it's been a while since i saw it. Maybe i'll go back and watch it again, and see if my opinion changes any. Do you watch Torchwood at all? I saw a few early episodes, and it seemed ok. I'm surprised it's lasted 2 seasons now. It must really have improved.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:06 PM

The first episode was very good all told. It was cool that Donna and the Doctor spent the first half missing each other by minutes or inches and I loved that scene where they silently mime to each other through the windows......but I gotta say, my absolute favourite bit....

Spoiler

Can't wait for next weeks episode. Hells yeah the Doctor is back!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:18 PM

Good start to the season. I like the idea of the Doctor having a companion who doesn't want to jump his bones.

#5 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:29 PM

RodeoRanch;285195 said:

Good start to the season. I like the idea of the Doctor having a companion who doesn't want to jump his bones.

Agreed! It also keeps Rose and Martha as unique. I like that Donna is more his contemporary than anything. Good stuff.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6 User is offline   Minterlint 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:05 AM

Adipose = Cutest little villains ever.

I want one as a pet...I will love it, and pet it and cook my meals with it. :p

#7 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:19 AM

Minterlint;285324 said:

Adipose = Cutest little villains ever.

I want one as a pet...I will love it, and pet it and cook my meals with it. :p

They reminded me of pale versions of Nibbler from Futurama (one front fang and all).

#8 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:54 AM

I swear the Adipose are probably the least sinister villains ever to appear on Doctor Who :p They were awesome!
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#9 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:47 PM

I bet they'll apear later as huge angry fatty blobs with sharp teeth and ginger haircuts though.

#10 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:56 PM

So, three episodes into the series and... well, a bit dissapointing really. I enjoyed the latest episode to an extent, but it was all a bit too convenient, and Donna is starting to get on my nerves after a good start. She needs to whine less. A lot less.

Thoughts?

#11 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:12 PM

caladanbrood;292758 said:

So, three episodes into the series and... well, a bit dissapointing really. I enjoyed the latest episode to an extent, but it was all a bit too convenient, and Donna is starting to get on my nerves after a good start. She needs to whine less. A lot less.

Thoughts?

I REALLY liked episode 1 and 2, but 3 left me a little flat actually. The Ood are a great species, and it was interesting to find out more about them, but the villain in this was kinda lame, and the guy who stops the soldiers from chasing the Doctor so he can try to get him with the claw was too much.

Not a terrible episode, just not great. It leaves me somewhere how I felt with the two "Daleks in NY" episodes from season 3 (which are the only ones I dislike from season 3). I have hopes that the Sontaran two parter next up will be better.....hell, at least we get some Martha!

I don't mind Donna really, and I think she's being the character they set out for her to be. I don't think we are supposed to love her yet, not like Rose and Martha anyways. I have a feeling she'll be one that will only grow on us slowly. Just a thought.

#12 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:56 PM

Donna is at least better than Martha, I'll give her that;)

#13 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:57 AM

caladanbrood;292940 said:

Donna is at least better than Martha, I'll give her that;)

I think sometimes Martha was trying to hard to be Rose. Whether that was Freema trying to channel Billie or not I dunno. I still dug her most of the time though.

At any rate, the Doctor almost seems indifferent at times to Donna. Maybe what's missing is that he cared ALOT about both Martha and Rose. Then again, he was SORT of indifferent to Jack when he showed back up in Utopia, but chalk that up to the Doctor being frightened of what Jack had become.

Sigh, so many thoughts.

I've been giving my series 3 box set another go through. Great season. It's wasn't season 2 mind you, but good nonetheless.

#14 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:24 PM

The Sontaran Stratagem was a fantastic episode! Loved it!

#15 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:45 PM

Two-parters annoy me though, because I dont have the mental capacity to remember exactly what happened a week ago. But it was a great episode, hated that annoying little "genius" berk.

#16 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:04 PM

This was by far and away the best episode of the series. Proper villains, several different levels of mystery, and even UNIT :o

Martha works better as a slightly robotic clone;)

#17 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:21 PM

It's the one role her wooden acting makes her perfect for. Apart from maybe a table.

#18 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:28 PM

Or any other sort of... no, maybe not.

#19 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:16 PM

Nice to see the Sontarrans re-introduced. I remember a 4th Doctor adventure on Gallifrey itself that involved them. Pretty cool.

And man alive, Martha is hot.

#20 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:47 AM

I'll agree with that one, Mr RR.

I've never seen the old series, how was there an episode of Gallefray? Didnt it burn? Much of this "old enemies" thing just goes right over my head and I have to face my gf's wrath when I say "so who's that guy? Where's Rose again?" and stuff like that every five minutes to her.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users